Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2015 7:49:41 PM EDT
About to start scheduling the final portion of my CCL class, and have concerns over how I'm going to manage carrying my PCR especially in the summer. I have a DC Special from HBE Leatherworks for IWB carry made especially for it, as well as a spare mag holder. While the holster is great, the whole kit and kaboodle is larger overall than I anticipated, but it seems going any smaller than "full size" compacts means sacrificing major amounts of ergonomics and capacity. Given the unpredictable nature of CCW encounters with police, I'd like to find some solid clothing solutions.

Most of my shirts and jackets don't trail down past the waist enough to grant reliable concealment of an IWB holster. I've taken a look at the "concealed carry" shirts offered by 5.11 and Propper, they seem like decent options but I'd like some input from the more experienced.

What do you guys generally recommend? I saw one or two shirts from 5.11 that have a the lower fourth of the side seams done in velcro such that you can quickly open up the sides of your shirt to draw from a 4:00 placed gun. None of the shirts from Propper, and not all of the 5.11 shirts have this. I like the 5.11 Freedom Flex because parts of it are almost like a mesh, making it seem great for hot weather, but it isn't under 5.11's concealed carry line (it'd probably work, but realize I am a huge noob and don't know what to look for).

Maybe these so-called tactical shirts are more of a noob's buy than anything, but I need better concealing shirts anyway. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
In.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in Houston and deal with the heat every year.  On shirts, I buy button down of any type you'd normally wear and leave it untucked.  Sometimes I wear an underarmor tee shirt underneath to keep the gun off of my skin.  Most of the button down shirts out there come down to the pocket level on jeans, shorts, or docker style pants.  Walmart supplies me with all I need and then some.  I do opt for a good fabric weight, so they don't ride up.  As long as it drapes past your belt line, a good IWB holster conceals just fine.

I've seen the "purpose" built concealed carry shirts and found them to be too expensive for what they offer.  YMMV.

When I have to wear shirts tucked in, I usually use a smart carry or ankle holster (Alessi is my preferred).  You just have to experiment with what works for you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've contemplated the same thing.   I'm gonna check out one of the big & tall shops and see if they have some shirts with a little extra length to them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The solution for AIWB printing is more push-ups and fewer bacon double cheeseburgers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I typically wear western button downs that normally are longer length than typical shirts. Work for me
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I just wear run-of-the-mill Polo-style shirts and T-shirts, keeps everything well-covered.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just wear run-of-the-mill Polo-style shirts and T-shirts, keeps everything well-covered.
View Quote

This. I've not bought one item of specialized CC clothing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. Have never purchased any clothing specifically for carrying except for belts. I do tend to wear more button up shirts now though since I like a tshirt tucked in to keep the sandpaper grip on my Sig from rubbing on my skin and I also carry OWB.
I have always liked my shirts a little large and not tight fitting to begin with so that helps.
You may find shirts with patterns cover better than solids as they tend to break up outlines better naturally.
A buddy of mines wife has told him that she likes the fact he carries and it makes him dress nicer since he leans towards button up shirts more now also.

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Disclaimer....I said no cc-specific clothing, but  i do have a plethora of CC belts.  If you count those as clothing.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I wear inexpensive Polo shirts untucked 99% of the time with a full sized 1911 IWB. The best advice I can give someone is to get a great holster and an even better gun belt. I use a crossbreed super tuck Horsehide with an ares ranger belt.

There are other folks that make similar stuff but I have found that my $15 dollar shirt works just fine with my $250 worth of belt, holster, and mag pouch.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:52:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I wear the lightweight polos my with my company logo unbuttoned. With a Glock with a stippled grip, have never had an issue. Those lightweight moisture wicking polos like to hang up on everything also.

Outside of work, I just wear a t-shirt or the cheapest button up shirt I can find. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I typically wear western button downs that normally are longer length than typical shirts. Work for me
View Quote

Same here, my wife is tired of plaid
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Plaid button up shirts
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I live in Houston and deal with the heat every year.  On shirts, I buy button down of any type you'd normally wear and leave it untucked.  Sometimes I wear an underarmor tee shirt underneath to keep the gun off of my skin.  Most of the button down shirts out there come down to the pocket level on jeans, shorts, or docker style pants.  Walmart supplies me with all I need and then some.  I do opt for a good fabric weight, so they don't ride up.  As long as it drapes past your belt line, a good IWB holster conceals just fine.

I've seen the "purpose" built concealed carry shirts and found them to be too expensive for what they offer.  YMMV.
View Quote

^This^

I live in PHX and carry IWB when it is a 115.  Just have a button down shirt that goes below your belt and it is fine.  Just realize the leather and gun are going to get sweat on them.  clean/lub/protect and you are fine.

I also have one of the conceal shirts.  This issues is they are expensive as hell and unless you buy a bunch of them you are to wear the same 4-5 shirts all the time.  I would think the same would hold true for the velco down the side shirts.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I usually wear a square-hemmed shirt over a T. Done this in many Florida and Texas summers.
Walmart and thrift stores usually have an abundance of these shirts, in various materials, colors and patterns. Dickies has shirts in this style.
Each to their own, but I never found a need to spend the money for "Purpose based" CCW clothing.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

^This^

I live in PHX and carry IWB when it is a 115.  Just have a button down shirt that goes below your belt and it is fine.  Just realize the leather and gun are going to get sweat on them.  clean/lub/protect and you are fine.

I also have one of the conceal shirts.  This issues is they are expensive as hell and unless you buy a bunch of them you are to wear the same 4-5 shirts all the time.  I would think the same would hold true for the velco down the side shirts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This^

That is why I use a kydex holster over a leather. I spend a lot of time outside at work on jobsites and sweat a lot in the Texas summers. It's nice to be able to wipe my gun down with a WD-40 soaked rag, run some water over the kydex and throw it up on the counter to dry or dry it with a rag.
Do you folks with leather that work outside and sweat have an issue with your holsters holding moisture?

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That is why I use a kydex holster over a leather. I spend a lot of time outside at work on jobsites and sweat a lot in the Texas summers. It's nice to be able to wipe my gun down with a WD-40 soaked rag, run some water over the kydex and throw it up on the counter to dry or dry it with a rag.
Do you folks with leather that work outside and sweat have an issue with your holsters holding moisture?

View Quote

I have a Kydex holster too but don't like it as well.  As far as moisture I have never really had a problem but AZ has very little humidity now if it was Florida or something I could see it being an issue.  In the summer I OWB carry a lot more.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a Milt Sparks VM II leather holster for IWB. They use a good finish that seems to repel water quite well.
I do buff on a coat of clear shoe polish once in awhile. I like to take care of my equipment.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I typically wear polo shirts to work, sometimes a button-front shirt. T-shirts on weekends. The biggest thing I've found is that the fabric is very important. The more like a dress shirt, the better it drapes and conceals. There are a few polo fabrics (maybe pique' knit?) that are much better than the stretchier fabric you often find. Also, Hawaiian-type shirts, especially those with square tails, are good, because they're meant to look right without being tucked in.

If you wear a lot of polos, Old Navy has tall sizes that help to hide the pistol.

My EDC is a full-size 1911, IWB, and I'm 6'2 and about 200#.

ETA: And a DeSantis holster
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Duluth Trading longtail polo shirts are 3" longer so they work well, especially if you have a longer torso.  Columbia Sportswear and Tommy Bahama shirts come in a slightly fuller cut that also work.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Columbia Sportswear button down shirts and polos are the best, and you can get them cheap at the outlet stores. Lots of mens shirts are cut to follow your body curvature to varying degrees, which will affect your ability to cc. Columbia shirts are cut straight. They are also very, very durable and comfortable. 5.11, propper, and those "cop" type shirts are nice and all, but dont be the guy walking around in all earth tones who looks like an off duty cop.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#22]
You need a good belt and an old faithful IWB tuckable. Your shirt matters none. Period. Ever. Unless you don't have one, or its a wifebeater tank top.

Im a 5'9 150lb guy and I carry either a full size CZ-75B or a 1911 5inch in an IWB holster with fitted clothing all the time. I also carry in an HBE for my 1911, but Old Faithful in the way to go for CZ's.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I use and wear 100% cotton Hawaiian shirts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:24:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...^.

This isn't complicated OP you are really over thinking it.  I wear regular T-shirts but one or even two sizes larger.  Or a regular t-shirt with a short sleeve button down over it un-tucked.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got one of the 5.11 concealment shirts. It works, but I don't like it. It isn't very tapered. I feel like I'm wearing a curtain.

For the most part regular clothes will work fine. Thicker fabric is a bonus, but not a requirement. Tight "muscle" shirts don't work obviously.

I like the button up outdoors style shirts. This also fits with my other hobbies and interest. Thick Tshirts or polos with a generous cut will work too.

The most important part is to try the clothes on while carrying. I'm 5'11", and sometimes I have to buy a tall or go one size too big.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I wear pretty much any tshirt. Im not a skinny guy (6 feet tall 225 pounds) I have a little bit of a gut. I can wear tight shirts and conceal a Glock 19 all day long. Besides most people do not pay attention anyway. If you are worried about it, I sometimes wear button up shirts. Like flannels, or the dressy ones you can get from different stores. Those conceal mine even when im OWB carrying.

Eta: I use a Ares Ranger Belt. Best belt i have ever owned. That definitely helps with concealment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm wearing these Drake Waterfowl Weekender shirts with a Milt Sparks VM II carrying an HK VP9 and a Mean Gene Leather belt: http://www.drakewaterfowl.com/product/s-s-weekender-shirt

Shop around and you can find them much cheaper than the advertised price on their website.

DFM
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

When I have to wear shirts tucked in, I usually use a smart carry or ankle holster (Alessi is my preferred).  You just have to experiment with what works for you.
View Quote
Pretty much this. It does not even have to really be oversized. Just patterned of some kind. People are oblivious, and do not notice 90% of what you think they do. So unless IL has strict laws on firearm printing, use print to hide yo print so you can print while you print. Then keep your grubby mits from figetting with it and the average person will remain cluelessly glued to their smartphone.

No seriously it works. I do it every day

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I once bought a couple of those concealed carry shirts.  They get rather uncomfortable after a full day of wearing them, and if it's hot outside, no thanks.

Kangaroo carry is a pretty good option, although it can get uncomfortable by the end of the day as well.  For full-size carry in summer attire, though, it's probably the best option.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Fishing shirts work great. Come in short or long sleeve. Plenty of colors/patterns to choose from. Depending on what brand you go with they can be worn for business casual or just casual. They keep you cool and have buttons so if you prefer to wear it open with an undershirt you can or you can button them up and it's so comfortable it's almost like not wearing a shirt at all.  

Try them. They are wonderful. I got hooked (no pun intended) on them because I lived on a lake and fished a lot and always carried a gun. They also make great motorcycle riding shirts too (for those who don't wear a ton of protective gear).

Bass Pro brand is inexpensive. I prefer Columbia however they are more expensive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Agree with others in that the weight of the shirt does matter. I wear a lot of "workout" type cotton/polyester shirts that are great for the gym and kicking around town since theyre so thin and breathable, but definitely dont work too well when trying to conceal a firearm. The cut of them is also usually more athletic which hurts you, as it tends to narrow around the waist, which is where printing will be much more noticeable.

So, heavier fabrics and cuts that dont taper too much around the waist go a long way towards concealing a weapon. You dont have to wear bowling shirts or a shower curtain every day to conceal things.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Go to LA police gear now!  These shirts just went up, they were 19.95 last week, I bought 2... to go with my other 3.  They hang just long enough and have interior pockets I use all the time for little things.

I wear the Lg size, 6'4 and 195.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-72100-covert-performance.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I use and wear 100% cotton Hawaiian shirts.
View Quote

I too wear Hawaiian shirts, Cotton is ok but I try to fine the ones
in rayon, dryes faster. I buy most from Good-Will! In two to three
sizes larger. I could hide an MP-5 under a 4X.
I have carried a full size 1911 with two extra mags.
But most of the time in HOT weather I carry a 44Bulldog
with 2 speed strips.

PITA45

PS Just for the record: I do not own a Polo-Shirt!
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#34]

I'm 6'2" and 240.  40/34 pants.  A bit soft, but no exceptionally so.

For me, I usually buy a button shirt a size larger and leave the tail out. It looks better if it's not got tails.  Patterned cloth hides bumps and lumps better.  Darker colors hide better.

For t-shirt shirts, Darker colors and a bit larger. Tail out.

I often wear a t-shirt shirt under and an overly large outer shirt.  This may look funny at the hot part of summer, so larger shirts with no undershirt goes well.

This works with jeans and shorts.

Sometimes I wear suspenders under to keep my gear from shifting around a lot.  You wouldn't need to cinch up the belt so tightly to keep everything secure.

Heavy belts are still better, though lighter guns/holsters you can get away with less sometimes.

We have a Cabelas nearby and my favorite cover shirts come from there. They're stupid expensive, but of heavier fabric and will last a long time.  $56 for a shirt is ignernt. I don't know how they get away with it.  Still, good quality.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I am 6'4" and 220lbs. I carry a glock 19 under an XL gap t-shirt almost everyday. They are not particularly loose fitting, but most all of them are darker in color.

I think people over complicate concealed carry, particularly when they first start. A good holster and belt do all the work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top