Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 3:52:29 PM EDT
Fortunately Illinois finally allows cc

took my coarse, sent in my app,  picked up a shield and an iwb holster, and wore it around the house every day until my permit showed up.

So I felt fairly comfortable my first few times out.

A few questions

One issue, is that Ive carried my wallet on the right side for my entire life, and now that Im carrying, on the right side, I don't want it to look like im going for my gun when I grab my wallet at the gas station.  I'm very conscious of it and usually turn away and lift my shirt as little as possible.  No one has ever noticed, but that part still feels weird.

Do you guys carry your wallet on the opposite side of your carry gun or just get used to grabbing it carefully?

Another issue, not so much of an issue, but having never had concealed carry in our state, it is new to everybody.  People just don't understand why I think I need to carry a gun.  I have only shared with a few close friends and family that I do carry, some are all onboard and carry also, others  say  shit like "in your thirty some years of life have you ever needed a gun?" or "what do you think is gonna happen at the grocery store?"

My wife doesn't mind that I carry, but has asked me similar questions.  

Do you guys feel the need to defend your stance and explain your position on carrying, or do you just quietly do your thing, not bothering anyone but knowing you are prepared to defend yourself if need be.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

took my coarse, sent in my app,  picked up a shield and an iwb holster, and wore it around the house every day until my permit showed up.

A few questions

One issue, is that Ive carried my wallet on the right side for my entire life, and now that Im carrying, on the right side, I don't want it to look like im going for my gun when I grab my wallet at the gas station.  I'm very conscious of it and usually turn away and lift my shirt as little as possible.  No one has ever noticed, but that part still feels weird.

Do you guys carry your wallet on the opposite side of your carry gun or just get used to grabbing it carefully?

Another issue, not so much of an issue, but having never had concealed carry in our state, it is new to everybody.  People just don't understand why I think I need to carry a gun.  I have only shared with a few close friends and family that I do carry, some are all onboard and carry also, others  say  shit like "in your thirty some years of life have you ever needed a gun?" or "what do you think is gonna happen at the grocery store?"

Do you guys feel the need to defend your stance and explain your position on carrying, or do you just quietly do your thing, not bothering anyone but knowing you are prepared to defend yourself if need be.
View Quote

I never had the wallet prob, I carry it left rear pocket. The question is solved by remembering concealed is concealed for the most part , and people who do deserve an answer like the wife you shouldn't have problems explaining to. I would of started much earlier if it had been legal usually stops a lot of the why now type questions.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry on the same side as my wallet...right rear.  Remember...nobody but you knows you have a gun back there.  So nobody thinks "OMG He's reaching for his gun" because they don't know the gun exists.  It's all in your head.

And I don't flaunt my CCW.  My wife knows I carry and I don't have to justify it to her.  Nor the family that knows I have a CHL.

Concealed means concealed.  It's nobody's business but your own.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Concealed means concealed.  You won't have to justify carrying, because no one that doesn't know you well enough won't know you're carrying.

Carry you wallet wherever it feels the most comfortable.  You won't be sweeping your jacket or whatever outer garment you have to expose your handgun when you access your wallet.

You're going to be very self conscious for a while, it's natural you'll get over it, and in a while won't even notice your CCW, it will be the same as putting a belt on.

One thing is to think about your movements, it's self defeating to reach up for something on a high shelf with your strong hand thereby exposing your gun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Nobody will notice you are carrying. Trust me. I keep my wallet on the same side as my gun (right) and it's not an issue what so ever. You get used to the idea of the gun being there. It takes time to get used to carrying your gun and being comfortable. I started carrying a year ago and I feel naked without my gun now. You just kind of grow around it I guess. As for people questioning you, it's not their life screw em. My family and close friends know I carry and most if not all of them carry as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Why are you telling people?

Stop doing that, and you won't have to answer stupid questions, or have to risk some idiot blowing your cover. (which could get ugly)
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Wear the gun and holster every day. EVERY DAY; if you go somewhere that CCW is prohibited, leave the gun, but WEAR the holster.

It'll get to the point where you won't notice it and you'll realize know one else does either.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A few questions

View Quote

To your first question... How does anyone know the gun is there? It's IWB under your shirt. You're over thinking it man, it's all in your head so don't stress about it.

Second, why even tell people? Back when I lived in a free state and could carry I never told anyone. The only people who knew were my roommates. No one else had a clue, and I liked it that way.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry AIWB, or strong side 4 o'clock.

I never worry about flashing my gun going for my wallet when I carry IWB or OWB. If someone wants to mug me and I have to get my wallet, it's an inch of difference to reach down for my wallet, vs up for my gun.

I've never had anyone notice my holster when I carry OWB and need to get my wallet, even though to me, the pocket is partially obstructed by the holster. I've just learned how to adjust my approach to the wallet so the holster guides my hand in. Very different approach to the wallet than when I'm carrying IWB.

ETA: normal carry is a Glock 23, much larger than the Shield. When I carry my Shield IWB at 4 o'clock, I never even think about it showing when I go for my wallet.

Do you throw your shirt above your belt line to get your wallet? Didn't think so. Any gun carried IWB won't be an issue being seen getting to your wallet, unless you dynamically draw your wallet like a handgun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just pull out your wallet the same way you have all your life, other than just making sure you don't pull your shirt up with it.

Another issue, not so much of an issue, but having never had concealed carry in our state, it is new to everybody.  People just don't understand why I think I need to carry a gun.
View Quote

"People" don't need to know.  Keep your mouth shut and you won't have this problem, other than you've already screwed up.

Just keep your mouth shut.

I have only shared with a few close friends and family that I do carry, some are all onboard and carry also, others  say  shit like "in your thirty some years of life have you ever needed a gun?" or "what do you think is gonna happen at the grocery store?"

View Quote

The answer to that question is, no I haven't ever needed one, because if I had I wouldn't be here.

You don't think anything is going to happen at the grocery store, otherwise you wouldn't go to the grocery store.  If you knew ahead of time when you were going to need it, you wouldn't need it now would you.

The reason for carry is not because of the likelihood of needing it, it's because the consequences are so severe if you don't and find yourself in a time of need.

Real life violence is not like the general public thinks it happens, like on TV or movies.  It generally happens in moments with no warning, gives you an exceptionally short time to respond, and is over in a handful of seconds.  Go through the arfcom shootout video thread, pick a few choice videos and show to any of your family who need a mindset adjustment.
ETA:  here is one for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TIOYj8Qna0
In just the time it takes to get a hose out of a gas pump this guy has a gun in his face and three armed robbers to deal with.  Giving them his wallet does not get the gun out of his face either which is when he chooses to defend himself.  Entire event is over in a few seconds.

View Quote

Just keep your mouth shut then you won't have to defend it to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why are you telling people?

Stop doing that, and you won't have to answer stupid questions, or have to risk some idiot blowing your cover. (which could get ugly)
View Quote

Yep.  It's an extreme emergency tool designed to preserve life.  It's not something you need to talk about.

Also, ask the people who are questioning your decision if they have ever had an accident when their kid was in the car.  ( Most people will NOT have had an accident )

Soooo, if they have their shit together enough to avoid accidents then why worry about using car seats, seatbelts, or carrying insurance ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A few questions

View Quote

I started wearing 5.11/Vertx/Duluth cargos, (carrying a 1911/pocket carrying a Shield can chew up lesser pants) and I keep my wallet on my strongside leg pocket.  YMMV

View Quote

Seeing as you're from IL I'm not surprised, but as an example I've never been in an auto accident in my 15 years of driving.  Doesn't mean I don't want auto insurance.

That's all carrying is -- insurance.  Better to have and not need, and all that noise.

And as others have said, STFU about your guns and carrying habits.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:39:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Nobody will think you are going for a gun as long as you are even semi concealed,  it's just not how the brain works.  Think about the millions of times you've probably seen a wallet pulled out how many times did it even cross your mind that he could have been pulling a gun?  I bet zero.

Also don't talk about it with anyone except shooting and like minded buddies.  None of my neighbors know I carry and even though we are good friends it's not their business.  The couple times I have been challenged with the "why do you carry a gun"  question I have always responded with "probably the same reason you don't carry one.  It makes me safer".  Then I change the topic or leave the conversation.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Who's going to think your "going for your gun" when you reach for your wallet?
The people around you don't know your carrying and it's not uncommon to see guys reach in the back pocket for their  wallet

Don't feel the need to justify why you choose to carry to anyone. It's a personal choice. And your secret.
Just because you realize evil exists and you choose to take responsibility for the safety and protection of youself and the loved ones around you dosent mean other people are going to have that same mindset / understanding.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
You are over thinking this. In a few years you will realize that no one knows or cares that you have a gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I carry on the same side as my wallet...right rear.  Remember...nobody but you knows you have a gun back there.  So nobody thinks "OMG He's reaching for his gun" because they don't know the gun exists.  It's all in your head.

And I don't flaunt my CCW.  My wife knows I carry and I don't have to justify it to her.  Nor the family that knows I have a CHL.

Concealed means concealed.  It's nobody's business but your own.
View Quote

Exactly what I was going to post on both topics.

The only thing I keep in mind is if I ever find myself in a conversation with a LEO: In SC, if a LEO asks for ID, and you are carrying at the time, you must notify him/her by providing your permit, as well. Otherwise,  keep it to yourself.

My wife has always been very open to me carrying. I used to tell her to remind her when i was, but she just assumes it now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Regarding the "defending your stance" part.
My view:

The measures I take to ensure my personal security are proprietary, that means it's no one else's business.  I view carrying a firearm pretty much the same as my personal banking information or the security measures for my home.  I don't discuss it with anyone.

There are exactly THREE entities who need to know about my PA LTCF; the Sheriff's Office that issued my permit and the two character references I was required to list on my application.

Beyond those three entities, only two or three other friends know anything about it (I'm a bachelor).  No one in my immediate family knows because they are all liberals and I refuse to get into a shit fest with those dopes about it!

I follow the example set by my best friend who passed away in 2011.  He had a PA LTCF and NO ONE knew about it.  I didn't know.  His sister, with whom he was very close and with whom he spoke with every day by telephone…didn't know!
No one knew until the police detective who investigated his death examined his wallet.

The law says I may carry….that's ALL anyone needs.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry my wallet on the same side as my pistol. No one knows I'm carrying concealed so they aren't thinking I'm going for my gun when I reach for my wallet.

To respond to your friends when they ask "Why do you feel the need to carry?"

I carry to protect myself and my loved ones. I hope you've got 911 on speed dial if you ever need help because you're not one of my loved ones. You're on your own.

Because it's an evil world and you never know when evil may come at you.

Because I can.

Because it makes liberals mad.

When seconds count, police are minutes away.

Cops are too heavy to carry.

Why don't YOU feel the need to carry?

Naw. I decided it wasn't for me.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry both a glock 27 and a glock 19. I am skinny and fairly short and have never had a issue. the 19 prints a bit when i bend over so i try to squat more than bend. I recently got a button up shirt to try that out. I for a little bit tried carrying my wallet in my left pocket (right handed) but ended up keeping it in my right pocket below my gun. Its not an issue to access and if somebody wants to try and rob you for your wallet, its a muscle memory reaction to reach with your right hand right where your gun is likely to be. As far as having to justify yourself....F them. let them be sheeps
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:07:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I tried swapping my wallet to the left cheek but that was not going to happen.. way to weird and i looked awkward trying to deal with it.  I do have to watch my shirt sometimes rides up onto my wallet then onto my gun.  The rodeo wallet does help cover the slight bulge of the IWB holster though.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I quit carrying a wallet. Much better on my back, etc.,.
AFA other folks having issue with my lifestyle choices, I don't feel the need to explain myself to anyone. I'm a grown free man.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm left handed. I switched my wallet to my right rear pocket when I started carrying a gun. I carry OWB a lot, I prefer to have the wallet on the other side from the gun.

I've trained myself not to carry anything in my left hand, if possible.

I'm trying to train my wife NOT to hug me and reach over to my gun and go "pew, pew, pew".
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:10:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I am right handed and when I started carrying a firearm for personal defense I switched my wallet from my right side rear pocket to my left side rear pocket.  It felt weird at first but I quickly got used to it.  I try not to make it a habit of using my right hand for day to day tasks.  Due to experience and training I try to keep my dominate hand free.  

As far as people knowing that I carry a firearm for personal defense I have been very fortunate  that the  majority of my family and friends happen to be like minded individuals and are of the same mindset as I in regards to carrying a firearm for personal defense.  However it is definitely something that I choose not to advertise with those that either I am not intimately familiar with or those individuals that I know to have differing views than I in regards to the subject.  

I personally feel that my decision to carry a firearm for personal defense is a personal and private matter, and is not information that I share with the vast majority of people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Carry your wallet in a chest pocket, or just your cards in front left pants pocket.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#24]
I started carrying my wallet in my left pocket years ago because of back trouble from an injury on my right side.  There is one big advantage, if you have to draw it looks like your reaching for your wallet.
A couple of tips:  With the exception of LEO and folks like us, NOBODY notices.  Quit sweating it.  Soon, you'll feel buck naked without it.
                              Resist the urge to check to see if its there.  With a good holster, it will be.  I have a move where I appear to hitch up my pants but I only do it if I arise from a seated position to make sure it hasn't ridden up while seated.  
                              Wipe it down regularly and strip it often.  Daily wipe/monthly strip for me unless I shoot it. Sweat and lint build up with IWB.
                              Don't be afraid to modify your wardrobe as needed, safety is more important than fashion.

Congrats on your CCW. Welcome to the world of walking through the Valley in the shadow of Death and fearing no evil, for you are now packing heat.

ETA: Q: Why do you feel the need to carry?  A: Because eat shit and die.  That's why.
          Its your business not theirs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I started carrying my wallet in my left pocket years ago because of back trouble from an injury on my right side.  There is one big advantage, if you have to draw it looks like your reaching for your wallet.

A couple of tips:  With the exception of LEO and folks like us, NOBODY notices.  Quit sweating it.  Soon, you'll feel buck naked without it.

Resist the urge to check to see if its there.  With a good holster, it will be.  I have a move where I appear to hitch up my pants but I only do it if I arise from a seated position to make sure it hasn't ridden up while seated.  

Wipe it down regularly and strip it often.  Daily wipe/monthly strip for me unless I shoot it. Sweat and lint build up with IWB.

Don't be afraid to modify your wardrobe as needed, safety is more important than fashion.

Congrats on your CCW. Welcome to the world of walking through the Valley in the shadow of Death and fearing no evil, for you are now packing heat.

ETA: Q: Why do you feel the need to carry?  A: Because eat shit and die.  That's why.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:03:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

them: why do you carry?
Me: scathing look....silence.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm left handed. Since I started carrying 3 years ago, I switched my wallet to my right rear pocket. Ever since its been just as natural as the first 21 years of carrying it in my left pocket.

People don't understand the mentality of rather have a gun and not need than need a gun and not have. Personally, I've been shot once (accidentally.......), I'm trying to avoid it happening again. I don't tell anyone I carry and I avoid any gun-related clothing that might give it away. The only people that know I carry daily are my girlfriend, roommate/best friend, and parents.  

Before I was shot I carried occasionally, since I got shot I carry every day. No exceptions unless I'm not legally allowed to carry where I'm going. I generally don't have to defend my stance on carrying since so few know I do, but if anyone asks why... It's pretty simple. Get shot once, shame on you. Get shot twice, shame on me. That's how that saying goes, right?
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#28]
To the people who ask why I carry.

I simply and kindly say because I have taken the proper steps to, it is not illegal, and it does not hurt anyone that I do (unless the necessary need arises of course). My actions to do does not inflict any negative penalties to those around and simply because I like guns and it is my profession.

The short and sweet answer to those who are snobby about it is... "Because I can."

As for the wallet thing. When I used to pocket carry (I strictly IWB carry now). I had no problem adjusting to grabbing my wallet out of the not so common back pocket. It did not take long for me to adjust and know that most people are not expecting someone to carry a gun in the first place, making the situation awkward by shying away the side where you gun is concealed may make it more noticeable. Go about your day as if you do not carry a gun (as far as daily motions go). For those times where you concealing a gun may be more exposed, then take the proper steps IE. for me it is when bending over to pick up something, reaching for something high on a shelf, hugging someone, etc.

You will get use to it. I once carried a full size 1911 without anyone ever noticing and I am skinny guy. I now strictly carry a Glock 19 which is a bit easier to conceal as far as comfortability only goes. Still no one to this day notices. I do have the advantage of working in the industry so friends, family, and families of friends always know I carry a gun. More times than not, they ask me to see it or ask me questions in regards to how to shoot firearms. Makes for excellent conversation and an educated show and tell moment.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm left handed. Since I started carrying 3 years ago, I switched my wallet to my right rear pocket. Ever since its been just as natural as the first 21 years of carrying it in my left pocket.

People don't understand the mentality of rather have a gun and not need than need a gun and not have. Personally, I've been shot once (accidentally.......), I'm trying to avoid it happening again. I don't tell anyone I carry and I avoid any gun-related clothing that might give it away. The only people that know I carry daily are my girlfriend, roommate/best friend, and parents.  

Before I was shot I carried occasionally, since I got shot I carry every day. No exceptions unless I'm not legally allowed to carry where I'm going. I generally don't have to defend my stance on carrying since so few know I do, but if anyone asks why... It's pretty simple. Get shot once, shame on you. Get shot twice, shame on me. That's how that saying goes, right?
View Quote

I haven't been shot but I have robbed at gunpoint.  That's close enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are doing it right,  no one will make you,  short of others that carry.... Maybe.

As far as what people think.... Carry always,  tell no one.   It a great creedo to practice.
Welcome to the world of CCW.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A few questions

View Quote

Think about it? When HAVE you ever needed it? Its a $500 or so purchase for something that is solving a non-issue, and its therefore a waste of time getting a gun.

Or at least thats what the sheep think. Look man, being in Texas everyone carries, so I don't often get that. But when people ask just say "Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." Or just cite the numerous shootings, ISIS threats, or the fact that crime could be on the rise, or that you are just a flat out second amendment believer.

As far as the wallet thing...I wear mine on the same side as my gun. Just get used to knowing how much you have to uncover and how much you don't, be a little more cognizant, and you'll be fine. I actually like it better both together. If someone demands my wallet, I can grab the wallet and/or transition to drawing my firearm if I wanted to.

The movie American Sniper put it in good terms. You have wolves, sheep, and sheep dogs. The question is whether you are a member of a flock, prey of the wolf, or someone who is going to protect those you love. Tell your wife her safety is something you take very seriously, and this is something she should consider. It will grow on her. Just wait until the first time she comes back from somewhere and says to you "Wow, XXXXXXX was scary and I wish you were there with me and your gun." or "OMG, I should get a gun too because XXXXXX could have happened when I was XXXXX."

It will happen. Just give it time. It takes about 1-2 years before you get past the "Am I printing?" phase of carrying in public. I've gone through many holsters and belts. Just find something that works, and let the rest figure itself out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:26:47 AM EDT
[#32]
why are you worrying about someone thinking you are going for your gun when it should be concealed?  I carry my wallet in my right front pocket with my gun at 3 o'clock.  No problems.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, Fugitive nails it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I never understood the question why do you carry?
Because I legally can?
Is that not enough?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Bah, you'll never need it anyway.  The only people that get in gunfights are gang members and drug dealers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bah, you'll never need it anyway.  The only people that get in gunfights are gang members and drug dealers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can be in my gang anytime.  

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awww!  See you at CW.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#39]
i ccw right side at 3-330, wallet in right rear. no issues.

ive been carrying for over a year now, and you get used to it very fast.  carry all the time you go out, youll get used to it.  i still get uncomforable while at a high top at a nice restraunt with my sweatshirt off because i print

then if i go to homedepot and get lumber or something, i simply dont care who sees it, its concealed, i reached high, and it showed.  youll simply learn to not care. if your properly licensed to carry a firearm, and you dont act abruptly about anything and are not freaking out and yelling, causing attention being an asshole to others, the cops cant arrest you. worst that will happen is they ask to see permit to verify you can carry a gun and youll be on your way.

i have an OWB holster, and it doesnt bother me if it shows, prints, or my shirt rides up while shopping and bending over for something on the bottom shelf..  im not a bad guy, im not doing anything wrong or being against or above the law. once you get that in your head, you will feel more self confident about carrying. i show my carry permit for credit card verifications, when i get carded for cigars and beer and at the bar.  it doesnt bother me. its them who needs to get used to it and realize its the law, and a right. the more people do it, the more they will be accustom to everyday people carrying
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#40]
The more you carry the less you'll think about it.  I carry my wallet on either side.

I carry because (the basic idea): when seconds count the police are just minutes away.

I feel better carrying.  I don't expect someone else to take care of me.  It's a tool that just sits on my belt out of sight out of mind doing nothing to no one unless, again, those critical seconds come into play.  Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Bottom line though: It's my choice and I don't need to "justify it".  And, rhetoric aside, I have found many people just don't get it... until they live those critical seconds.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you guys carry your wallet on the opposite side of your carry gun or just get used to grabbing it carefully? - Opposite side of the gun.

Another issue, not so much of an issue, but having never had concealed carry in our state, it is new to everybody. People just don't understand why I think I need to carry a gun. I have only shared with a few close friends and family that I do carry, some are all onboard and carry also, others say shit like "in your thirty some years of life have you ever needed a gun?" or "what do you think is gonna happen at the grocery store?" - I don't tell anyone that I carry on a regular basis or that I really carry at all.  

- If my wife asks why I need a gun to go up to the grocery store I just tell her it's because of ISIS, Alcadia (sp?), or the damn North Koreans.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Another IL guy here too, gradually getting more comfortable with CC.

Still carry my wallet in my right back pocket. Yeah, you have to skim the outside of where the gun is to get to it. No big deal, no one knows a gun is there beside you. You just need to get more comfortable with it & worry less. Takes time. I still pay too much attention to whether I'm printing sometimes, just have to remember most folks are oblivious to their surroundings.

As far as justifying it, you don't need to justify CC to anyone but yourself & the wife. I have friends & family that know I carry, and are supportive. Several don't have their own permits only because it's so expensive between the class & fees. Friends that aren't into guns, I just don't discuss CC with them. No real reason to.

I have a general rule that I don't discuss specifics about my firearms interests with folks that aren't into guns, or I wouldn't go shooting with. For example, most of my coworkers know I'm into shooting, but most have no idea what I have or that I carry. Common question I get from non-shooters is "how many guns do you have?". Average non-shooter will tend to think anything more than 2 is an awful lot. My standard answer is "not as many as I'd like". They usually drop it. Past that, I explain that I explain that it's kind of like me asking "how much jewelry is in your wife's jewelry box?".

Basically, talk guns with your fellow shooters, and convert the non-shooters if there's an opportunity
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:40:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Doesnt work for everybody, but if you feel weird having your gun in the same area as your wallet you could always try carrying appendix, or in front of your body around 12:30 or 1 oclock area. For skinny guys it helps to conceal a larger gun more easily without worry of printing as much, and depending on your build can be just as comfortable.

Personally, i have some shoulder issues and it makes drawing from the 3-4 oclock position a little hard for me because i have long arms and i really have to work to get back there and clear a holster. So for me, appendix works much better. Give it a try, worst case scenario you just have a holster laying around that you could always sell later.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Doesnt work for everybody, but if you feel weird having your gun in the same area as your wallet you could always try carrying appendix, or in front of your body around 12:30 or 1 oclock area. For skinny guys it helps to conceal a larger gun more easily without worry of printing as much, and depending on your build can be just as comfortable.

Personally, i have some shoulder issues and it makes drawing from the 3-4 oclock position a little hard for me because i have long arms and i really have to work to get back there and clear a holster. So for me, appendix works much better. Give it a try, worst case scenario you just have a holster laying around that you could always sell later.
View Quote

Spare holster, sell....oh god you crack me up.
They go in the box with the others, till someone needs one or the wife "puts it away".
It's the ARFCOM way.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:42:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They go in the box with the others, till someone needs one or the wife "puts it away".
It's the ARFCOM way.
View Quote

Yea...now that you mention it i dont guess im very good at selling my old holsters either, but it sounds better to say it that way. I mean, it could happen right?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yea...now that you mention it i dont guess im very good at selling my old holsters either, but it sounds better to say it that way. I mean, it could happen right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's the ARFCOM way.

Infinite monkeys banging on infinite keyyboards for infinity will eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare, but I have never heard of anybody selling a used holster unless it went with a gun as a deal sweetener.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Those are good questions.
I used to carry my wallet rt side back pocket and carry @ 4:00. The same concern did cause me switch the wallet to the left back. Then 2 situations arose:
1) Sciatica! My chiropractor & good friend said no wallet in either back pocket!
2) Spare mag carry. It forced me to go to a belt carrier which is much better as it turns out.

Now I mostly carry AIWB with my billfold in the front pocket same side and still the offside mag if carrying the auto.

I've been carrying 13 years and no longer discuss that with anyone besides 1 friend and my lady. Both of them travel armed too. Earlier on I had those discussions and wound up arguing with people I formerly never had with.
So I shut-up. We all get along still. They forgot. Concealed is concealed. And all is well.

The wallet/carry side being the same when back pocket & strong side deserves some consideration & maybe change IMO.

Cheers!
-JC

ETA: Part of why I switched when I did was so my shooting hand wasn't busy handling my wallet too. I no longer carry my cash in a wallet. The ID & card go in a small wallet in the left front.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#48]
wallet lives in FRONT left pocket. did that before i got my permit. anti pick-pocket and worlds better on the back.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Infinite monkeys banging on infinite keyyboards for infinity will eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare, but I have never heard of anybody selling a used holster unless it went with a gun as a deal sweetener.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's the ARFCOM way.

I did sell a like new Galco Ankle Glove on ebay.  I think I got about $45 for it.  It can be done.   Now having said that I have two boxes of holsters.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Awww!  See you at CW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awww!  See you at CW.

Bunch of frat boys, go home with your inside jokes.

To the OP, get a good belt. I just bought the Ares Aegis and I can tell this is 187% better than my previous leather belt from American Eagle. I'm not saying you need to spend $100 on a belt, but certainly buy something suited.for EDC.

My problem is that I'm tall. And I keep getting rounder. All of my XL shirts ride a bit below my belt line so anytime I have to reach or bend I show. I'm very very close to buying a week's worth of plain t-shirts.from Duluth trading to add some length.

Or I could just change my diet and work out...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top