User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I stick with a 9mm Shield and occasionally a .380 Bodyguard. Winter months when I can wear a jacket, I may carry a Glock
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Glock 22 (off duty) and Glock 23 (issued, carried for work) as belt guns 90% of the time. 4" .38 revolver and 5" 1911 .45 5% each. J-frame in pocket as BUG w/ at least one reload. My SIG and Beretta 92 are range guns only.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have my duty gun, my off duty carry gun, and then my fun guns.
View Quote

Same boat. I carried a Glock 17 for years, and then moved to a different agency last August. We're issued either a Glock 22 or a Glock 23. I went 22, and don't regret it. It just doesn't work (for me) as a good gun to carry to and from work on public transit.

Similarly, I had been carrying a SW 442 as my to and from gun, and then wearing it as my backup on duty. The move in August took me from working in a rural county to working a big metro county - at an agency which happens to not allow for carrying backups. On top of that, my former county required us to qual with out backup/off duty... and my current agency (because we can't carry a backup) has the policy structured so that we can carry anything off duty under our badge.

This led to a bit of bouncing around with carry guns over the last six months or so. Changing guns around isn't comfortable for me and I really didn't like it. I wanted a gun as small as my j-frame, with a higher capacity.

I shot Shields, Kahrs, XDs in 9 and 45, and some .380s. I've never liked .380 as a round... so those went out. I went with the XDs in the end. I felt the trigger was the most Glock-like, and it met the criteria I set with the 9mm model.

All that said... now that I've got it, its the only gun I am shooting outside of work and the only gun I am letting myself carry - which I can admit is hard. I carried that j-frame a long time, and fun a ton of work into mastering the trigger... but, it isn't my carry gun anymore. Same with my Sig P6, I shoot it so well, but it just isn't something that I should carry. I don't train with any SA/DA guns, why should I strap one on for a day out of the blue?

I feel like the XDs is similar enough to a Glock to feel comfortable switching between the G22 at work and then it off duty.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder how many people have died in gunfights as a result of this? Ummm yeah.

"Yeah but I'm not taking any chances..."

Great for you if you want to be Captain Serious with your serious loadout. Really. If that's your deal then good- Have that discipline.

Yeah guns are serious and I'm practiced with the ones I carry, but the risk factor endangering my life that is present in my carrying a 1911 one day and a Glock the next is probably a lot less than driving a car to work everyday. Getting all worked up over it just seems like commando joe bullshit to me.

Carry what you fucking want, it's your deal. Better than no gun for sure. I guess I can live with the fact (been living with it, so it's true) that 99% of men who carry guns on the internet will smoke my ass in a gunfight with the superior training, discipline and muscle memory that they possess as a result of not carrying more than one style of gun.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Carry what you know.  1 or 5... whatever IMO.

I do not switch between manual safety and non-manual safety any more though.

Kahr CM9 (mostly) or Glock 19 (seldom).
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry a g19 90% of the time and a airweight 10% of the time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top