Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#1]
More noise, more recoil, less shootability, minimal performance gain in a short barrel . . . what's not to like?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More noise, more recoil, less shootability, minimal performance gain in a short barrel . . . what's not to like?
View Quote

The performance gain being minimal is false.  The ballistic gains between 38 Special +P and 357 Magnum are significant whether we are comparing the cartridges in 1-7/8 barrels or 8 inch barrels.  When you go from 20KSI to 35KSI the ballistic performance increase is significant.  Even with only a 2 inch barrel you can expect roughly 200fps increase going from 38 Special +P to 357 Mag.  If we assume the 38 Special was 900fps ( and the 357 Mag was 1100fps that is a 22% increase in velocity and assuming the same bullet weight a 50% increase in kinetic energy.

You probably don't need the increase in ballistics especially in light of the noise, muzzle flash and abusive recoil but saying the 357 Mag does not give you much performance gain would be false.  Its significant, but velocity and KE are not everything if you can't hit anything with it and can't practice with it because it's too abusive to the shooter.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html

This website does a great job showing the effect barrel length has on muzzle velocity of various common handgun cartridges.  Look at the 38 Special and 357 Magnum pages and you can see how much more a cartridge 357 Mag is over 38 Special.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The performance gain being minimal is false.  The ballistic gains between 38 Special +P and 357 Magnum are significant whether we are comparing the cartridges in 1-7/8 barrels or 8 inch barrels.  When you go from 20KSI to 35KSI the ballistic performance increase is significant.  Even with only a 2 inch barrel you can expect roughly 200fps increase going from 38 Special +P to 357 Mag.  If we assume the 38 Special was 900fps ( and the 357 Mag was 1100fps that is a 22% increase in velocity and assuming the same bullet weight a 50% increase in kinetic energy.

You probably don't need the increase in ballistics especially in light of the noise, muzzle flash and abusive recoil but saying the 357 Mag does not give you much performance gain would be false.  Its significant, but velocity and KE are not everything if you can't hit anything with it and can't practice with it because it's too abusive to the shooter.

This website does a great job showing the effect barrel length has on muzzle velocity of various common handgun cartridges.  Look at the 38 Special and 357 Magnum pages and you can see how much more a cartridge 357 Mag is over 38 Special.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OK 50 & 22% Increase in KE and velocity.........how would DocGKR, Fackler etc. say that would affect actual performance.........

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I look at the site you referenced, I see something else. I'm not disputing the figures you provided but what's significant to me is the relative change in performance when you go from a 2" barrel to a 4" barrel. With the .38 special, it doesn't seem like there's such a big jump, but with the magnum, the performance gains when going to the longer barrels seem much more remarkable. What that tells me is that a lot of the extra energy of the magnum rounds is wasted in the shorter barrel. Stated another way, the shorter barrels provide sufficient real estate to utilize the power of the .38 special but not the .357. You simply are throwing away a lot of the potential of the magnum round when fired from a shorter barrel.

Again, more noise, more recoil, worse control characteristics without gaining all that much more energy at the target. Is the magnum more powerful than the .38 special? Well, yes, of course it is. But is the juice worth the squeeze? That's something everyone has to decide for themselves. Is ANY increase in power worth a huge decrease in shootability? Your mileage will certainly vary. For me, it's not worth it. But then again, I have a Kel-Tec P32 as a tiny carry gun instead of a P3AT or LCP. The shootability of the smaller cartridge is more appropriate for the gun size, IMO.

For me, the idea of a .357 magnum in a small gun sounds great, but in practice, not so much. I own a 3" barrel Smith and Wesson model 65. If ever there was a carry gun that is well suited for the .357 magnum cartridge, that's the gun. But I rarely shoot magnums even out of that k-frame gun. It is just so much more pleasant and controllable with .38 special +P rounds.

Again, this is call everybody must make for themselves.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with both of you. I carry 38 Special +P for self defense.  My point was 357 Magnum ballistic performance (not necessary terminal performance shooting humans in a self defense scenario) is significantly more than 38 Special +P across any barrel length.  22% increase in velocity and 50% increase in kinetic energy is significant.  Whether or not you have need or can utilize it, is up to you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#6]
They say the best gun for a gun fight is the one you have with you. The OP was inquiring about a pocket pistol IIRC. Most of us here can say we certainly have this gun that's best for carry or this model. However, how many of you are guilty of leaving your carry piece in the car or somewhere else when "your only running right in and out "?

Living in a warmer climate, I find myself in shorts or thin clothing. I chose the M&P 340 for a "pocket gun". Simple to operate. No snags from hammer. Extremely light weight. When using a pocket holster, even a cheap uncle mikes model, it does not print. You don't feel like your toting a brick in your pocket. Most importantly, I usually always carry it. No excuses for leaving it behind.

Since most shootings are with in the proverbial "Bad Breath" distance, finding your target is usually not going to be a problem. As for ballistics, a .357 magnum at that distance is not going to be an issue. I use the Gold Dot and other low flash ammo for short barrels for just such a gun.

I haven't practiced with mine in a few months. However, when I do, I practice with both .38's, .38+p, and full house .357 rounds. If your concerned about recoil, find a good grip for your weapon. In the picture below, is my 340. It sports the Crimson Trace grips. They are low profile, thin but yet still manageable for the recoil.
I used this gun to qualify with on the standard 40 round police qualification course using speed loaders and quick strips. Even at 15 yards, hitting a man size target is not that difficult focusing on the front sight.

Hopefully, I will never need it. If I do then most likely I will have it because I carry it.
Just my .02 on why I chose this model.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, all these new 3" 9mm's suck ass.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you suggesting that the recoil of a 9mm and a .357 magnum are similar?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
"For me, the idea of a .357 magnum in a small gun sounds great, but in practice, not so much. I own a 3" barrel Smith and Wesson model 65. If ever there was a carry gun that is well suited for the .357 magnum cartridge, that's the gun. But I rarely shoot magnums even out of that k-frame gun. It is just so much more pleasant and controllable with .38 special +P rounds."

That is a nice gun. I have the 3" Model 13 in .357 mag. It is a sweet gun. Just too big to run around in my pocket.

Here is a quote from StoppingPower.net forums on the Federal 130 grain Low recoil Hydroshock .357
It is shot from the S&W 649 snubby.
Note that it passes easily through the 4 layer denim test which is important for our discussion. Also worth noting is that the velocity quoted on the test is about 135 FPS slower than the data on my box. The box is not quoting a barrel length for the test but one could bet that it was not from a 2" inch barrel. The minor decrease would not be an issue for me. The energy on the box list 490 Ft. lbs. which should be of some interest.
It really boils down to what you shoot best with. If you cant get good follow up shots with what you use, you are compromising your position some.

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests for:
Federal .357 mag 130 gr JHP Personal Defense

Testing Platform:
S&W 649

Barrier:
Four Layers of Denim

TEST RESULTS:

Round # 1:
Penetration: 18.00”
Recovered Weight: 131.1 gr.
Expansion*: .513 cal.
Velocity: 1165 fps

* Expansion measured at widest point.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top