Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2015 10:18:07 PM EDT
For years I've had a Tucker Gunleather "Texas Heritage" IWB holster for a Glock 30.

The Kydex clips that came with it were garbage.  Eventually and inevitably, one, then the other, broke.  Twice.  Even aside from the fragility, they weren't a great design.  They never held on the belt very well.  They made it a major operation to remove or put on the holster, requiring belt removal each time.  I had to very carefully handle the holster when it was off a belt, lest I put any stress on the surprisingly fragile clips.  Even with very very careful handling, I went through 2 sets of clips in the last several years.  I also had to have 2 sets of clips for 2 different width belts, due to the way the clips go around the belt.

A third set of clips would have been about $20. I didn't care to buy still more clips, since they were so fragile and didn't even work that well, so the holster was out of action for a while.

Later on, I got a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster for a different gun.  Its metal belt clips were vastly superior, being practically indestructible (and possible to repair), holding on to the belt a hell of a lot better, and being cheap to replace ($10 for a pair).  I've never needed to replace the original pair in 5 years of wearing the gun often.  This is with frequent removing/inserting of the holster on my belt (rather than having to remove/reinsert the belt), which was fatal to the Kydex clips.

The experience gave me an idea: maybe I could retrofit a set of Crossbreed clips to the Tucker holster.

Yep:

The only drawback is that there is just one set of holes in the Crossbreed clips, so you are stuck with the Texas Heritage's built-in cant angle.  I didn't find this to be a problem with a small gun like the Glock 30.  Your mileage may vary.

$10 to revive - and even improve - a holster that had plenty of life left in it, but was costing a silly amount to maintain?  Not bad.  Now that it's all fixed up, I'm sure I'll actually wear out the leather, like I did with the Texas Heritage for my Springfield XD.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the Comp-Tac belt clips they are much easier to get on and off.  I did this same idea to my FIL's holster it had terrible clips but the holster was good and put the Comp-Tac ones on it and now he loves it because he can get it off and on fast.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Crossbreed ones because they're metal, so you can fix them if you accidentally bend one.  I already did that with one of the clips on my M&P holster - bent it all to hell somehow, when attempting to remove the holster from my belt while seated.  Using a little heat and elbow grease, I got it back into original shape.

Comp-Tac has the right idea with making their clips able to flex over the belt without breaking.  I'm not sure they'd have as much "grip" on the belt as the Crossbreed clips - seriously, those suckers are strong! - but for $2 each they'd certainly be worth a try.  As well as having multiple holes so you can adjust cant.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks to me in the picture and the Crossbreed steel clips I have, there is room to drill one hole above and below the existing hole. More room above than below, but at least some room for a limited range of adjustment.
Mike

Quoted:

...snip

The only drawback is that there is just one set of holes in the Crossbreed clips, so you are stuck with the Texas Heritage's built-in cant angle.

...snip

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For years I've had a Tucker Gunleather "Texas Heritage" IWB holster for a Glock 30.

The Kydex clips that came with it were garbage.  Eventually and inevitably, one, then the other, broke.  Twice.  Even aside from the fragility, they weren't a great design.  They never held on the belt very well.  They made it a major operation to remove or put on the holster, requiring belt removal each time.  I had to very carefully handle the holster when it was off a belt, lest I put any stress on the surprisingly fragile clips.  Even with very very careful handling, I went through 2 sets of clips in the last several years.  I also had to have 2 sets of clips for 2 different width belts, due to the way the clips go around the belt.

A third set of clips would have been about $20. I didn't care to buy still more clips, since they were so fragile and didn't even work that well, so the holster was out of action for a while.

Later on, I got a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster for a different gun.  Its metal belt clips were vastly superior, being practically indestructible (and possible to repair), holding on to the belt a hell of a lot better, and being cheap to replace ($10 for a pair).  I've never needed to replace the original pair in 5 years of wearing the gun often.  This is with frequent removing/inserting of the holster on my belt (rather than having to remove/reinsert the belt), which was fatal to the Kydex clips.

The experience gave me an idea: maybe I could retrofit a set of Crossbreed clips to the Tucker holster.

Yep:

http://i.imgur.com/mvvqGgF.jpg?1

The only drawback is that there is just one set of holes in the Crossbreed clips, so you are stuck with the Texas Heritage's built-in cant angle.  I didn't find this to be a problem with a small gun like the Glock 30.  Your mileage may vary.

$10 to revive - and even improve - a holster that had plenty of life left in it, but was costing a silly amount to maintain?  Not bad.  Now that it's all fixed up, I'm sure I'll actually wear out the leather, like I did with the Texas Heritage for my Springfield XD.

View Quote

That holster looks new for being that old, my shit looks used.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Aside from the crosses embossed on the clips, I really like Corssbreed's clips. I've been using my SuperTuck for three years now and have never had an issue.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks to me in the picture and the Crossbreed steel clips I have, there is room to drill one hole above and below the existing hole. More room above than below, but at least some room for a limited range of adjustment.
Mike
View Quote

Probably could.  It's an option to consider if the lack of adjustment starts to bug me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top