Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2015 11:44:03 AM EDT
I've been a fan of Comp-Tac's holsters for years and I've got one for every handgun I own. It's been a while since the last time ordered one, but when was the design changed? My new MTAC is really difficult to draw from even after adjustment. It feels like the upper part of the kydex is being compressed by my belt and putting too much pressure on the gun to draw smoothly. I don't have this issue with any of my older MTAC's since the kydex is cut shorter. The goofy lettering is just icing on the cake. What gives?

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
My first one is like your tan one.  My latest one is the slide version of your black one.  I don't care for the "CT" on the body, the labeling is probably for inventory purposes.  You wear yours low.  I don't have a problem with my draw.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The new plate design is at least three years old. Doesn't bother me any, my jeans cover it and the tab in the trigger guard is better made. Over all I think the new plate is higher quality than the old . also no draw problems with either my 1911, Glock 19, or Glock 26.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
They are bringing the Kydex up higher to help prevent the leather from folding over and blocking the top of the holster
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to love the old style MTACs with the natural colored leather. More recently I've gotten one of the newer ones like you've shown with the black leather. I ended up returning it because it was practically impossible from which to draw, even with the retention screws backed out to the point that there was hardly any threads holding them on. Maybe I just got one that was tight on tolerances but it was unusable to me. I've since gone to all kydex for IWBs; always sure to draw and reholster regardless of belt tightness.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both the newer and the older version with no draw problems. You do run those very deep. Maybe that's part of the issue?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both like you.  One thing that really helped with my holster I took leather treatment that I use on my car seats and treat the leather.  My leather was stiff and needed breaking in bad it was impossible to draw from until I worked with it for awhile.  I also have to sand down the retention nub on the trigger guard and smooth it out.

Now the holster is like all the rest of mine good to go.  Lettering does not bother me one way or another.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks! I've adjusted the holster many times with no luck. I didn't want to modify anything in case I wanted to sell it. I'll try some leather conditioner and take a file to the trigger guard retainer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I am thinking heat to allow you to deform the plastic is better. Once the plastic is removed it difficult to put back. You can always deform it back to near original if you don't like the results.
Mike
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am thinking heat to allow you to deform the plastic is better. Once the plastic is removed it difficult to put back. You can always deform it back to near original if you don't like the results.
Mike
View Quote

It is really not that much plastic being removed it is more just getting the exact feel and retention I want.  I could have gone the heat gun route but the way the nub is formed I was worried I would make it worse than better reshaping it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top