Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2015 5:23:25 PM EDT

I needed a new pocket pistol, it seems after over a decade of LE experience I had lost my motivation to carry my larger combat pistols. As a matter of fact the older I get the less likely I am to strap a holder on. As an advanced firearms instructor I knew better.  All of us in LE should be carrying on duty and off, think how awful it would be watching helplessly as an armed assailant attacked someone maybe someone you love and thinking, if I had only carried today. If we aren't willing to protect that day who will? The answer is often no one. What a horrible thought.

A fellow agent has been carrying a LCP for sometime and I had shot his pistol and was thoroughly impressed with not only how reliable it was with any ammo but also how accurate it was. One night a bunch of us were in the office and happened to see what appeared to be a flesh colored Ruger LCP on sale at PSA for $239. We all looked at it and laughed about the color, but flesh colored or not that was a screaming deal. I had a hunch that PSA had taken some bad pics. and figured I had a better than 50/50 chance that it was darker. We joked that if it was really flesh colored maybe the perp would think I was whipping my junk out and stun him long enough to get a shot off, LOL. Well I ordered one and 3 weeks later it arrived at my dealer.

As you can see from the pics it is a dark FDE and I really like the way it looks. As for function I've used PMC and Herters FMJ's plus Hornady American Gunner XTP's in it. All functioned flawlessly. The Hornady rounds are rated at 1000fps out of a 3.5" barrel so I'm thinking these will run around 900 FPS out of my 2.75" barrel. These seem to be the same loads as Hornady customs but several dollars cheaper and on sale at Cabela's right now. The XTP's are the best choice for this gun at these velocities from my research. I was worried that the POI would be off with the fixed sights but are indeed dead on at 15 yards. I ran several drills with this gun and feel I can make a head shot no problem at 15 yards as long as I stay calm and the subject is stationary (a tall order), torso shots were easy even at 15 yards shooting as fast as I  could pull the trigger. This pistol is a real winner!

As for pocket carry, the pistol for the most part doesn't print and since I can just toss it in my pocket I actually carry it all the time. Now I know a lot of guys poo poo the .380 but in real shoots the .380 is just marginally worse than a 9 mm or .40 with similar shot placement, the one exception is if you use a .380 hollow point that over expands, hence my choice of ammo, as it penetrates and average of 12-15" in gel tests with or without 4 layers of denim which is more than enough to get to the vitals even if you have to go through an arm or hand to get there. The trick to stopping an attack is to drill the vitals no matter what the handgun caliber and like I've said, in real shootings all handgun calibers seem to be pretty equivalent when the shot placement is the same. More importantly, if you don't carry because it's a pain you will be in a lot more trouble than if you brought a .380 to the fight.

So anyway I really like the pistol and have a couple hundred rounds through it with no failures at all, the trigger pull is long but consistent and not too heavy as far as a dao gun goes. I think it was a good buy , now just have to tool up to reload .380 so I can get more trigger time in.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I needed a new pocket pistol, it seems after over a decade of LE experience I had lost my motivation to carry my larger combat pistols. As a matter of fact the older I get the less likely I am to strap a holder on. As an advanced firearms instructor I knew better.  All of us in LE should be carrying on duty and off, think how awful it would be watching helplessly as an armed assailant attacked someone maybe someone you love and thinking, if I had only carried today.

If we aren't willing to protect that day who will? The answer is often no one. What a horrible thought.  A fellow agent has been carrying a LCP for sometime and I had shot his pistol and was thoroughly impressed with not only how reliable it was with any ammo but also how accurate it was. One night a bunch of us were in the office and happened to see what appeared to be a flesh colored Ruger LCP on sale at PSA for $239.

We all looked at it and laughed about the color, but flesh colored or not that was a screaming deal. I had a hunch that PSA had taken some bad pics. and figured I had a better of 50/50 chance that it was darker. We joked that if it was really flesh colored maybe the perp would think I was whipping my junk out and stun him long enough to get a shot off, LOL.

Well I ordered one and 3 weeks later it arrived at my dealer. As you can see from the pics it is a dark FDE and I really like the way it looks. As for function I've used PMC and Herters FMJ's plus Hornady American Gunner XTP's in it. All functioned flawlessly. The Hornady rounds are rated at 1000fps out of a 3.5" barrel so I'm thinking these will run around 900 FPS out of my 2.75" barrel. These seem to be the same loads as Hornady customs but several dollars cheaper and on sale at Cabela's right now. The XTP's are the best choice for this gun at these velocities from my research.

I was worried that the POI would be off with the fixed sights but are indeed dead on at 15 yards. I ran several drills with this gun and feel I can make a head shot no problem at 15 yards as long as I stay calm and the subject is stationary (a tall order), torso shots were easy even at 15 yards shooting as fast as I  could pull the trigger. This pistol is a real winner! As for pocket carry, the pistol for the most part doesn't print and since I can just toss it in my pocket I actually carry it all the time.

Now I know a lot of guys poo poo the .380 but in real shoots the .380 is just marginally worse than a 9 mm or .40 with similar shot placement, the one exception is if you use a .380 hollow point that over expands, hence my choice of ammo, as it penetrates and average of 12-15" in gel tests with or without 4 layers of denim which is more than enough to get to the vitals even if you have to go through an arm or hand to get there. The trick to stopping an attack is to drill the vitals no matter what the handgun caliber and like I've said, in real shootings all handgun calibers seem to be pretty equivalent when the shot placement is the same.

More importantly, if you don't carry because it's a pain you will be in a lot more trouble than if you brought a .380 to the fight.
View Quote

Little bit easier to read?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Paragraphs,man, paragraphs!!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Ha ha, yall crack me up. Yeah I was in a hurry when I wrote it and wasn't really finished. I finished it off, should have posted some shooting results but forgot to take pics.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my lcp, but make sure you test every round you carry.  I found quite a few that didn't cycle reliably.

Txl
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my LCP a lot as well. I wish Ruger would come out with a little bit bigger magazine though. Im not sure I want to trust my life to an aftermarket extension like the magguts one, although i will say ive never tried it. I almost always have my LCP on my though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Ruger has a nice 7 round extended mag out now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I really love my LCP.  Never thought I'd carry a .380 but it's the perfect gun for times when I can't carry anything else, or when I have to off body carry I'll pocket carry it as a BUG.   I carry it with FMJ though.   I'd rather over penetrate than under penetrate.  If I were going to carry HP it would be the XTP.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd HIGHLY recommend the HOGUE handall HYBRID:  http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Handall-Hybrid-Ruger-Sleeve/dp/B004Y8AYGE#
It DOES make the gun a SLIGHT bit more thick, but it absorbs recoil and gives you such a better grip (even SMALL hands).  I also used the Magguts +1 followers and a pearce pinky extension (though the +1 magazines feel okay, I didn't like them as much--though it was also 100%).

I fired only Critical Defense since the FTX bullets have the sharper feed angle that gave me more confidence (though I wouldn't mind having a Lehigh Xtreme penetrator or an Hornady XTP in the barrel).  With the Glock 42, I shoot XTPs and Federal 95grains, since I think they test better out of the G42 (though I have a Lehigh Xtreme in the pipe).

NOTE:  The only ammo that gave my LCP trouble was new Freedom Munitions 100gr RN...the gun maybe had 80-100rds through it, but wasn't very dirty, but the Freedom Munitions had several failures (though it worked fine in the G42).
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd HIGHLY recommend the HOGUE handall HYBRID:  http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Handall-Hybrid-Ruger-Sleeve/dp/B004Y8AYGE#
It DOES make the gun a SLIGHT bit more thick, but it absorbs recoil and gives you such a better grip (even SMALL hands).  
View Quote

I prefer the Pachmyr myself
pachmayr for $7.88
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ruger has a nice 7 round extended mag out now.
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I pocket carry mine daily, on and off duty.

About a weeks worth of lint...

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Same here, I don't have that much lint in my pockets though, LOL. So far I've shot 2 boxes of Herters fmj, 1 box of UMC fmj's, half a box of Hornady american classic xtp's, 2 boxes of PMC fmj's and a box of Walmart Tulammo fmj's with no stoppages whatsoever. It is a super reliable pistol.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#13]
With the picture and your post I just had to 'edit'.
Mike

Quoted:
Same here, I don't have that much lint in my pockets though, LOL. So far I've shot 2 boxes of Herters fmj, 1 box of UMC fmj's, half a box of Hornady american classic xtp's, 2 boxes of PMC fmj's and a box of Walmart Tulammo fmj's with no stoppages whatsoever and one lint ball round that FTE. It is a super reliable pistol.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top