Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2015 7:47:01 PM EDT
I am a proud owner of a Shield 40, which is my EDC. I figured with a polymer frame and Melonite finish, it would be good to go in all weather, and did not think anything of being caught in the rain a few times.

Recently, I was inspecting my pistol and found it nearly impossible to eject the magazine. Everything else functioned correctly. Once I cycled the ammo out through the ejection port, I was able to beat on it a bit. When I finally got th magazine free, I found something on the magazine release I never expected: Rust!

It turns out the magazine release for the Shield is metal, and mine appeared to have gotten a bad Melonite treatment.  This is just another reason why you need to inspect your gear regularly and religiously.

For the record, S&W fixed the problem after a single email, mailing me out a new magazine release. My pistol was back up inside a week of the email being sent; kudos to the S&W Customer Support.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen this happen quite a few times online, seems like a common issuer with the shields
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Another reason why to chamber check, mag check every day I carry.

Better yet, everytime I pick up a gun.

Glad s&w fixed it quickly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Also a frequent inspection item on Kahrs. Seems they will rust if you even look at them funny.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My Shield rusted on the slide after carry for one week in the summer time.  Was strange to see rust on a stainless steel Melonited slide.  Been carrying various guns over several decades and the Shield is the only one I've ever had rust up like that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My Shield's firing pin rusted a bit after a few days of carrying while sweating.

I seem to have caught it in time and it cleaned up nicely enough.

Still shooting without hiccup.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also a frequent inspection item on Kahrs. Seems they will rust if you even look at them funny.
View Quote

I've never had that issue with the PM9 or CM9, and they get sweaty in ankle holsters.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats funny, carried my 19 for 6 moths without a cleaning or shooting it and it shot just fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've never had that issue with the PM9 or CM9, and they get sweaty in ankle holsters.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Six Kahrs I've had (PM9, P45, CM9, CW9, CM9, CW380) have rusted mag releases from carrying IWB. None have done so with ankle carry.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thats funny, carried my 19 for 6 moths without a cleaning or shooting it and it shot just fine.
View Quote

My M&P compact is the same way

OP, you sweat a lot? You may have some of that extra salty sweat.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I did kind of the same thing with all of my M&P's in the cooler seasons and they always shoot just fine.

Only I shoot mine ( during those 6 months )

Edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Froglube, Hornady One Shot TAP HD, or WD-40 Corrosion Inhibitor should prevent that from happening.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I ruined a Galco leather holster a few years back after carrying and changing a tire in the rain.  I took the pistol out and let the holster dry with the pistol out and it shrunk and smelled bad after.  The Glock no rust but I did take the ammo to the range and shot it all with no issue.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do have very salty sweat, but I carry in a MTAC holster, so that should not be much of an issue.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:30:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I think it's important to be religious about shooting/cleaning/inspecting your carry piece. I shoot mine at least once a month, and it gets cleaned immediately afterward. That's how I've handled it so far.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:13:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think it's important to be religious about shooting/cleaning/inspecting your carry piece. I shoot mine at least once a month, and it gets cleaned immediately afterward. That's how I've handled it so far.
View Quote

It's not.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

<sigh>

AspiringRapper.  Join date.

<click to ignore status>
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Kahr's have the same problem.  Glocks don't!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:26:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

<sigh>

<click to ignore status>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

<sigh>

<click to ignore status>

Hiding from the truth is bad bro
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 3:30:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

<sigh>

<click to ignore status>

Hey Dan
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

<sigh>

<click to ignore status>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

<sigh>

<click to ignore status>

yup.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

yup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not.

<sigh>

<click to ignore status>

yup.

I love the ignore button. I am using it more and more these days. I once ignored everyone else on the forum, but got bored reading what I had posted so I had to let some people back in my world
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 2:44:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I could carry my gun for a year with out cleaning it if I wanted to. It would still work

It would still fire no problem.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 3:48:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Hey Dan
View Quote

Calling me a dumb ass newb over a difference of opinion is pretty childish.

I thought personal attacks were against the rules?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This man knows what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I could carry my gun for a year with out cleaning it if I wanted to. It would still work

View Quote

How long has Illinois had CCW?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter.

He first injected an attempt to argue about Religion in this thread in an attempt to troll.

Now he's trying to find ANYTHING that someone will react to his bait.

Troll account.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 2:03:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter.

He first injected an attempt to argue about Religion in this thread in an attempt to troll.

Troll account.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter.

Troll account.

No one mentioned religion anywhere. The fact that you jump to ridicule a new member of the forum just for having a differing opinion, on how often to clean a gun is ridiculous.

So next time you are at the range with Bubba and Cletus, while your cleaning your guns. Feel free to tell them how you sure told that "troll" on AR15.com.

I am glad I don't know you in real life, because THAT would be embarrassing,
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hey Dan

you're not very good at this matt
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Back on subject....

I had a Shield and it never rusted. Checking my extra mag catch for my FS45 shows it to be plastic with a metal insert which is not melonite treated. I wonder why they wouldn't do the same for the Shield?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#30]

My M&P9c rusted to shit. Sold it and got a glock.

I did have a shitty job where I was sweating all day long. In louisiana your sweat doesn't go anywhere, just soaks in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top