Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2014 8:59:19 PM EDT
I carry an FNX-45 when I'm at home in the woods (bear, mountain lion), but I need a 9mm for CC when I'm away from home. I have pretty good sized hands, so I don't want anything too small and I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like Glocks.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Xds
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
SIG P320C (for Carry or Compact, or both I suppose), uses P250 mags and grip modules so $50 gets you a larger or smaller grip:

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The P228 or P239 seems like what you are looking for.  

You also should look at an M&P FS.  Mine carries as good or better than my Glock 19 sized 23
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
CZ75 compact
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SIG P320C (for Carry or Compact, or both I suppose), uses P250 mags and grip modules so $50 gets you a larger or smaller grip:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tomac/media/PC280001.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/PC280001.jpg</a>
Tomac
View Quote

I ordered one Friday night.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the Sigs. In fact I always thought that Glock owners must have never fired a Sig or they wouldn't have bought a Glock. But, I'm looking for something to stick in my pocket and I think Texas willie might be on to something with the CZ. It's a little narrower, a little shorter and the grip looks a little more conducive to my hand size. I'll have to hold one at the LGS when I go into town.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
75 compact is quite heavy and you aren't gonna fit one in a pocket quite easily.  look for a PCR if you have to have a compact cz.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
75 compact is quite heavy and you aren't gonna fit one in a pocket quite easily.  look for a PCR if you have to have a compact cz.
View Quote

De Cocker? Never
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I'lll have to check it out. But, my U-shaped relaxed fit Wranglers have decent sized pockets and I live on the coast so the weather allows options for pockets for most of the year.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'lll have to check it out. But, my U-shaped relaxed fit Wranglers have decent sized pockets and I live on the coast so the weather allows options for pockets for most of the year.
View Quote

42x36 FRC wranglers. Inside out with CZ compact clone for size reference.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

42x36 FRC wranglers. Inside out with CZ compact clone for size reference. http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh537/Williewvr/Mobile%20Uploads/2EF7444A-BF2B-41DB-AE6B-EEAC5EE4E533_zpsvsueismo.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

42x36 FRC wranglers. Inside out with CZ compact clone for size reference. http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh537/Williewvr/Mobile%20Uploads/2EF7444A-BF2B-41DB-AE6B-EEAC5EE4E533_zpsvsueismo.jpg

That looks pretty snug, but I just looked at my Wranglers and they have a significantly larger pocket than yours do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That looks pretty snug, but I just looked at my Wranglers and they have a significantly larger pocket than yours do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I made a detail of what they are. Maybe the FRC has smaller pockets.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your FRCs definitely have a smaller pocket.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my M&P 9c.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Size comparison. Glock 23. RIA 3.5 officers model. Tristar CZ 75 compact clone.
I don't think pocket carry is an option. Unless you have really big pockets.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It will easily fit in my pants pockets, but it would probably be too cumbersome. It looks like I will be relegated to using an OWB holster of some sort.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
CZ75 compact
View Quote

or CZ 75 PCR.

or CZ 75 P01
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:46:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Zastava Yugo Mini Tokarev M88A

I'm not sure if Century is currently importing extra mags for these or not yet. Didn't see them listed in the last consumer catalog. Allegedly, the Norinco 9mm Tok mags work though I've not done so nor have seen anyone confirm that they have used them yet. That is the only reason I don't have one yet. May be worth the call to Century or someone more knowledge state definitively for us the magazine status.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I love my M&P 9c.
View Quote

And I love mine as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#20]
If you like DA/SA guns the best bets would be, S&W 6906, CZ75 compact, CZ P07, or PX4 Storm Compact IMO
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And I love mine as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my M&P 9c.

And I love mine as well.

I just bought one (second one I have owned). It's a good gun. The 9mm holds 12 rounds which is really impressive given the size. It is not pocket carry small, but the shorter grip will make it easier to conceal. OP can go with the magazines with finger extensions if he needs a little extra purchase during live fire.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you like DA/SA guns the best bets would be, S&W 6906, CZ75 compact, CZ P07, or PX4 Storm Compact IMO
View Quote

Thanks, the 6906 is a good call too. I definitely don't want a rail.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:50:57 AM EDT
[#23]
HK USP Compact, or P2000.  The USPc would have the same trigger and control setup as your FNX also.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
HK USP Compact, or P2000.  The USPc would have the same trigger and control setup as your FNX also.
View Quote

The USPc would be a very good choice. I will for sure handle one before I make a decision. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Even though you dont like glocks, I must recommend the glock 26 first and foremost .  That being said, an M&P Shield or a Kahr PM9/CW9 would do do the trick nicely.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love my M&P 9c.
View Quote

As well do I. Depending on my shirt, I also carry it with the full 17rd mag with a grip extension on it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Had a chance to pick up a LNIB USP (not compact) today for a great price, but IMO it's too big for in town carry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:46:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I think the new SIG 320C looks good, BUT I think the KAHR P9 (CW9) is a great size carry pistol if you want thin and comfortable (put a hogue grip sleeve on it for a bigger grip).  Sadly, I couldn't get used to to the long trigger pull--I need Glock-like triggers.  It's a BIT smaller than the guns mentioned, so it should fit in your pocket (as should a M&P SHIELD).  I can get either in my pants pockets, but it's not a super-fast draw compared to an OWB.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#29]
M&P 9c for warmer weather, M&P 9 fullsize for cooler weather.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Glock 19 Gen 4 with the large back strap installed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Take a look at a Ruger Sr9c with a good IWB holster.  Super comfortable and large enough to shoot accurately (I have trouble with some of those micro/mouse 9mms)
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Take a look at a Ruger Sr9c with a good IWB holster.  Super comfortable and large enough to shoot accurately (I have trouble with some of those micro/mouse 9mms)
View Quote

I just ordered an LC9s Pro for $334 shipped. I figure at that price if I don't like, I can use it as a rock.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I carry an FNX-45 when I'm at home in the woods (bear, mountain lion), but I need a 9mm for CC when I'm away from home. I have pretty good sized hands, so I don't want anything too small and I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like Glocks.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
View Quote
FNS-9 Compact

Head to the FN subforum to check them out.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Side question: will 45ACP kill a bear with anything short of perfect shot placement? Thick hide combined with low velocity projectile equals trouble in my estimation. Of  course I am far from an expert.  I had always heard that you want something that starts in 4 or 5 and ends in magnum for bears.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Side question: will 45ACP kill a bear with anything short of perfect shot placement? Thick hide combined with low velocity projectile equals trouble in my estimation. Of  course I am far from an expert.  I had always heard that you want something that starts in 4 or 5 and ends in magnum for bears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Black bears dont have that thick of a hide.  Plenty get killed with pistols every year.  Hound hunters a lot of times use non magnum handguns to kill them out of trees, limits hide damage.  I have heard that some mountain lion hunters will use a .22mag or .22 hornet to kill a cat that has been treed for the same purpose.  45ACP isnt ideal for killing a black bear in a defensive situation but if you stick to FMJ bullets to maximize penetration it would be ok.  A magnum handgun of course is much better black bear medicine, but its harder to pack around a 44 mag with a six inch barrel than an autoloader 45.  .357 magnums are a good compromise in weight vs. penetration/energy.  Some people have no problem packing a big ol magnum on their hip, but I think after a while the weight gets annoying.  Chances are that if you are ever charged by a bear you will only get a few seconds to draw your weapon and fire.  If you are packing an autoloader in .45ACP you may be able to get off a couple rounds, a double action .44MAG maybe one accurate shot IMO.  You are best served by the pistol you are trained on and comfortable with vs one that has way more power but you cant deliver accurate follow up shots with.  You are much more likely to need your sidearm to dissuade 2 legged critters in the woods than 4 anyway.  Bears and Cats dont want anything to do with you 99% of the time.  

Now if you are in big bear country, IE grizzlies and browns, carry the biggest handgun you can shoot accurately on your hip and a good high power rifle in your hands.  Shotgun with slugs is also acceptable.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Black bears dont have that thick of a hide.  Plenty get killed with pistols every year.  Hound hunters a lot of times use non magnum handguns to kill them out of trees, limits hide damage.  I have heard that some mountain lion hunters will use a .22mag or .22 hornet to kill a cat that has been treed for the same purpose.  45ACP isnt ideal for killing a black bear in a defensive situation but if you stick to FMJ bullets to maximize penetration it would be ok.  A magnum handgun of course is much better black bear medicine, but its harder to pack around a 44 mag with a six inch barrel than an autoloader 45.  .357 magnums are a good compromise in weight vs. penetration/energy.  Some people have no problem packing a big ol magnum on their hip, but I think after a while the weight gets annoying.  Chances are that if you are ever charged by a bear you will only get a few seconds to draw your weapon and fire.  If you are packing an autoloader in .45ACP you may be able to get off a couple rounds, a double action .44MAG maybe one accurate shot IMO.  You are best served by the pistol you are trained on and comfortable with vs one that has way more power but you cant deliver accurate follow up shots with.  You are much more likely to need your sidearm to dissuade 2 legged critters in the woods than 4 anyway.  Bears and Cats dont want anything to do with you 99% of the time.  

Now if you are in big bear country, IE grizzlies and browns, carry the biggest handgun you can shoot accurately on your hip and a good high power rifle in your hands.  Shotgun with slugs is also acceptable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very well put. I used to carry an S&W Model 29 .44 with an 8 3/8" barrel around, but as you said it became very cumbersome. The black bear aren't aggressive for the most part, they would just as soon get away from humans. The cats on the other hand are known to be less predictable. 45 acp FMJ isn't the ideal load, but I can certainly make better follow up shots with it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I love my M&P 9c.
View Quote

Chuuuuch !!!!!

I have big paws, and the compact can be hard to grip, but it almost disappears on my fat ass, holds 13, and uses FS mags for reloads. And it's an actual shoot able gun, unlike  some of the micro compact sized gums
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I just ordered an LC9s Pro for $334 shipped. I figure at that price if I don't like, I can use it as a rock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't shot the LCP yet, but love my SR9c.  Sounds like you got an awesome price!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top