Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2014 2:26:28 PM EDT
I have a M&P Bodyguard .380 that I daily carry along with an extra magazine. I have a total firepower of 13 rounds.

I was looking into the Magguts kits for the Bodyguard which adds a round to capacity for 7 instead of 6. These kits run around $23 each, so $46 for both mags and it would up my firepower by 2 rounds total.

A new factory magazine runs about $20 and would up my firepower by 6 rounds total.

The Magguts seems pricey when compared to an extra magazine but I wonder if they are more worthwhile since one can make that argument of "you might need that extra round if you ever have to use it and cant change mags due to an injury."

On the other side though, I worry about trusting aftermarket magazine internals for daily protection.

What are your opinions on it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds to me you would be potentially sacrificing reliability just to feel good.  Can you find or cite even one reliable story of a citizen getting into a gunfight that even required a reload?  

I never could.  I still carry an extra magazine or two nonetheless, so I concur that it makes us feel better to have more rounds available.

Personally, I would just buy another factory magazine and carry two back-ups, vs fixing something that isn't broken.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It would have to be a pretty shitty situation for me to need to reload. You are right, reliability is key. Thanks for the input.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds to me you would be potentially sacrificing reliability just to feel good.  Can you find or cite even one reliable story of a citizen getting into a gunfight that even required a reload?  

I never could.  I still carry an extra magazine or two nonetheless, so I concur that it makes us feel better to have more rounds available.

Personally, I would just buy another factory magazine and carry two back-ups, vs fixing something that isn't broken.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I use magguts followers in my G42 mags.  No issues and appreciate the flush plus 1 when carrying a marginal caliber with a marginal capacity
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
How many rounds have you put through the mag and what kind of SD ammo do you run? I use Hornady Critical Defense.

Quoted:
FWIW, I use magguts followers in my G42 mags.  No issues and appreciate the flush plus 1 when carrying a marginal caliber with a marginal capacity
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The parts (spring and follower) either work and are reliable or they aren't. Only range time will prove that to yourself.

I think it's pretty simple. If you are worried about multiple dindus (not withstanding psychological effects of a gun) and you want to maximze rounds to the heart area; you should probably go for the greater number.

This means, that go for max mags, then if you run out of room; then go for +1 kits ( space permitting.)

It's a matter of space, if you can run the +1s, then do it. If you can run 3 mags, even better.... $ seems like an issue, so just experiement w/ your carry and what fits and what doesnt..... Cmon OP
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I recall a fellow who was on the range with me one day. I was using Stock Factory mags and he was loudly hawking the superiority of a big name magazine brand he was using!

He could not get more that 2 shots from any of his mags (7 of them) without a jam. Even if he didn't load that all important one extra round.

I had him try one of mine and there was no malfunctions...

If you are going to carry with it, how many malfunction free rounds do you need to put through it to trust it?

I hand load so I can run 1 or 2 hundred of similar power and bullet configuration followed by 20/25 rounds of my intended carry ammo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

About a year a go a women with her kids in the south, used a 5 shot revolver to defend herself, she fired all five rounds.  She didn't hit any of them but they left.  What would have happen if they pressed on?

CD
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

About a year a go a women with her kids in the south, used a 5 shot revolver to defend herself, she fired all five rounds.  She didn't hit any of them but they left.  What would have happen if they pressed on?

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

You think she would have hit anything if she had 5 more???

I recall 2 fellows in RVN who nearly bumped into each other on trail.

The US guy dumped 20 rounds and the VC returned 30.

Neither was hit and they ran away
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How many rounds have you put through the mag and what kind of SD ammo do you run? I use Hornady Critical Defense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The only ammunition I've put through the magazines with the magguts kit is Fiocchi ball, about 500 rounds of it to date.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Yeah, not surprised. Got a cousin who is a LEO who has been in 2 fire fights in his years. He says your aim goes to shit in that stressful of a situation and in those situations, its all about muscle memory and point shooting. If you don't train enough, you wont have the muscle memory.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I bet it goes to shit fast, I just started shooting USPSA 6 months ago and my nerves go to shit with that stress, could only imagine a life or death situation.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

CD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD
I remember that story, and you're not the first to cite that as an example of why more rounds are better.  I bet if you asked the bad guy how many shots were fired, he'd say a dozen or more.  People who want to steal or rape aren't suicidal- they value their life as much as you value yours.  They aren't going to run through bullets to get to you.   Maybe if you're running a drug op or money laundering thing out of your house, they might organize and press an attack, but other than that they're running at the first shot.  Not to say one shouldn't be ready, but recognize reality too.  

Quoted:
Yeah, not surprised. Got a cousin who is a LEO who has been in 2 fire fights in his years. He says your aim goes to shit in that stressful of a situation and in those situations, its all about muscle memory and point shooting. If you don't train enough, you wont have the muscle memory.
And somehow little old ladies and ancient gray haired men still manage to drive off the bad guys using single shot shotguns and dusty crusty old revolvers.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Same here, keeps it compact

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#14]
The only story I remember like that was when the woman hit him--4 to the face and 1 to the neck I think--and he asked her to stop and collapsed when he was leaving (I think he lived).

ON TOPIC:  I like the magguts for the LCP and G42...I like carrying 8rds, then I have a ghost +2 extension on my secondary mag (so 16rds of .380).  
MORE IS BETTER AND RELIABILITY:  To me (a) more is better, and (b) I happen to think the mag-springs on new G42s are sometimes too stiff and have caused some of the issues people had.  The magguts springs are a tiny bit lighter, but I think it might increase reliability.  My gun's been 100% with them, and a friend who had 2nd round issues with his G42 saw them disappear when he used my magguts and Ghost mags.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:08:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This was pretty much my thought when I read the OP.  I will also point out I have a 9 mm that is a whole 7 mm longer.  (Sig P290RS, about the same size as the Kahrs)  If I can, I just carry a Glock 19 IWB with 16 rounds of Winchester Ranger +P+.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Not to be 'that' guy, but if your worried about carrying more rounds, you should carry a bigger gun. if it was me, I'd just carry 2 extra mags instead of one.

Micro compact guns gonna micro compact....
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not to be 'that' guy, but if your worried about carrying more rounds, you should carry a bigger gun. if it was me, I'd just carry 2 extra mags instead of one.

Micro compact guns gonna micro compact....
View Quote

Agree, but keep in mind many are carrying these pocket-size .380's due to being in a NPE, where printing could be a serious problem.  If the plus one follower kits are reliable, I don't see any negatives other than you spending an extra $18-21 bucks on each magazine, which I would hope is in the noise compared to training ammo budgets for the type of person who buys these sorts of products.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top