Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 1:02:25 PM EDT
So I think the Dan Wesson CCO has seen its last range trip with me, I just don't love it enough to justify keeping it around, and I am thinking of standardizing my carry caliber to 9mm. So... Its going on the chopping block this week, however, I'm unsure of its replacement, here are the parameters;
9mm (probably double stack), thin, either striker fired or DA/SA no SAO, night sights would be good, polymer frame and a decent rust resistant finish (Texas summers=much sweat). The obvious choices are glock, M&P, but what others are there out there? I like somewhat unique stuff! Ready.... Go!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Before you buy a glock or mp go look at the xdm. But if you want smaller most are gonna say the shield/xds. I have a lcp and requires some minor upgrades to make it a decent pocket pistol. Sadly in A email from customer service they said ruger has no plans to make a striker fired lcp 380 like the just released for the larger 9mm version.  But now that one is out perhaps it will give the shield a run for its money. I do think the ruger is slimmer if my paw remembers correctly from handling them at a gun shop.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out a Glock 19 the next time you get close to a gun shop
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I was going to suggest the XDM as well. I love mine, I also have a G17 and like that one too. The XDM's are great though, mine has never failed whatsoever, never a jam, and I shoot anything out of it. It also has never dropped brass on my head like my G17 does sometimes, not that I care, I like my Glock, looking to get a G19.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#4]
CZ P01.  If you get a chance, shoot one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
A Nice .357 revolver
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A Nice .357 revolver
View Quote

It's not 1985 anymore.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:;
9mm (probably double stack), thin, either striker fired or DA/SA no SAO, night sights would be good, polymer frame and a decent rust resistant finish (Texas summers=much sweat). The obvious choices are glock, M&P, but what others are there out there? I like somewhat unique stuff! Ready.... Go!
View Quote

I personally carry a Kahr CW45 in the summer. It is definitely a barker. May get a Kahr CW9 to replace it. Here are some options.
  • Kahr has several different single stack 9mm
  • You can always wait until the Shot Show to see if the unicorn Glock single stack 9mm appears
  • Walther PPS
  • S&W Shield or MP9c
  • Glock G19 or G26

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there going to be a link to a nice DW on sale in the EE?

OP my advice is don't sell that DW unless you are really in debt, or just don't care much for guns. The plastic guns are better for defense, but I much prefer to shoot a 1911 at the range. It's like the difference between a cheap commuter car, and driving a sports car on the weekend for me.

Pretty much everyone makes a line of Polymer pistols now. I would stick with Glock, M&P or XD. My choice is the XDM compact in .45 ACP. Compare models, and get the one that appeals to you the most. IMO, there isn't that big of a difference to argue over.

Or if you are looking at something more compact, you can go with a Smith or Ruger revolver. My pick for those is the SP 101 in .357 Mag.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock and M&P are neck and neck as far as big market share.

There is a reason why these platforms excel.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I just stepped out of the local GS, I think I fell in love with the HK P30. I just wish it wasn't so big! I do have a pm9 that has basically become my everyday carry gun, but I want something a little bit bigger as well. I love the CCO for it being an amazing 1911, but I rarely shoot it, and rarely carry it, so I don't really have a use for it anymore. I don't think I'll miss it much.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll change up carry pieces between my Nighthawk GRP, my G19 and my Sig M11A1...depending on what mood strikes me and where I'll be.
Next week I'll be spending quite a bit of time in our downtown area, it'll be the G19. Date night, 1911. If we're going "out" somewhere to a even usually it'll be the Sig.

No one tool fits every situation. My hell has opened up and unleashed the undead upon the world go to pistol (and all my kit is setup for) is my 1911
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#15]
If you like the P30 feel, the VP9 is similar in a striker fired setup.  The Walther PPQ is also very similar and just a hair smaller.

If you're interested in DA hammer pistols the P2000 and USP-compact models would be a little smaller than the P30.  Many are hoping for a "VP9 compact" in a similar form factor to the P2000/USPc.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#16]
P30 is an excellent firearm.  MANY people shoot it very well naturally.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Just get a G19 and get it over with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just get a G19 and get it over with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

QFT.
I was just thinking the same dang thing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, I have a full steel Baby Eagle compact that I bought way back in 2001 and it's one of the sweetest shooting handguns I've ever owned or fired. The P01 is very similar, isn't it? Like an updated 75? I may have to shoot one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Sig SP2022.  Also, look at the p320 carry, it was almost that perfect G19 size
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Glock 19/23/32
S&W M&P 9
Sig 228/229

All good choices but just way to many to list to be honest.  You need to go fingerbang a bunch of polymers and find what you like.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You know, I have a full steel Baby Eagle compact that I bought way back in 2001 and it's one of the sweetest shooting handguns I've ever owned or fired. The P01 is very similar, isn't it? Like an updated 75? I may have to shoot one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Similar to the baby eagle, with an alloy frame and pic rail.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I would give the Sig p320 Compact a try. You might be very surprised. I picked one up a few weeks ago for a relative, but after shooting it I almost kept it for myself.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Check out a Glock 19 the next time you get close to a gun shop
View Quote

This.  Gen 4
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd say if a glock fits your hand well definitely buy it, otherwise get an M&P.

My G 19 frame has been ridiculously modified to make it work well for me (grip reduction, undercut, finger grooves, stippling, magloc beavertail/thumbrest) and it really fits my smaller hands well now, if I had to do it all over I would just buy an M&P9C though, I was they would get their head out of their ass and release a 9mm gun in the same size as their new 22compact
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
I was going to say this if you like all metal, G19 if you like plastic.  Both will serve well..

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:57:43 AM EDT
[#28]
The obvious answer to your question is a Glock 19, but you say you like unique stuff. Check out the Steyr pistols.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was going to say this if you like all metal, G19 if you like plastic.  Both will serve well..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Glock and M&P are neck and neck as far as big market share.

There is a reason why these platforms excel.

Quoted:
The obvious answer to your question is a Glock 19, but you say you like unique stuff. Check out the Steyr pistols.

I am a Glock fanatic, an especially love the G19. Get a NibX, an all FDE or a Vickers model if uniqueness is so important.

If that just won't do, but you are interested in striker guns, check out the Steyr's. If a D/A gun is your preference, CZ is tough to beat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I ended up with a nice G19, with a OST slide treatment, suppresor sights, and RMR, it also has the full grip reduction treatment from Dale Hunnicutt. I'm not crazy about owning a Suarez product, but since I didn't purchase it directly I feel a bit better about it. I'm going to attempt to carry it with the RMR, and if that doesn't work out I'll pick up another slide for edc and swap the RMR onto it for competition. It should be a fun piece! Ill post pics once I pick it up Saturday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top