Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2014 7:29:54 PM EDT
I hate to shoot the LCP and it takes 3 shots for me to hit a quarter at 5 feet with it.
I love to carry the LCP so its always with me.

I need something that doesn't stand out in my front slacks pocket.
It is my left hand gun so safeties can be an issue. I am right handed.

Suggestions?

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield XDS 3.3 .45
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Springfield XDS 3.3 .45
View Quote

Interesting. A little bit larger than I was thinking and only 5 shots.
How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Shield or the new lc9s
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Shield or the new lc9s
View Quote

Im going to go for a Shield or Smith and Wesson Airweight in the next year or two. Have shot both and like both. Leaning towards the Shield.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Im going to go for a Shield or Smith and Wesson Airweight in the next year or two. Have shot both and like both. Leaning towards the Shield.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shield or the new lc9s

I have a friend with a shield and is hasn't been 100%
I like the air weight idea because I can keep snake shot as my first shot. I am in snake country.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shield or the new lc9s
View Quote

I am close to pulling the trigger on the LC9. I do have 1k+.380 rds though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like the air weight idea because I can keep snake shot as my first shot. I am in snake country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shield or the new lc9s

Really? I haven't heard much bad about them since looking at them recently, but I will keep it in mind for sure. And that's a good idea. Not many snakes here, but revolvers are simple and small. Great for pocket carry in my opinion. Would be a huge difference between that and my Glock 19.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Kahr P380.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both a P3AT and LCP, and was not able to shoot either very accurately... I recently switched to a G42... the double action hammer fired small pistols break the shot with the long trigger almost touching the grip... I am able to more accurately and quickly shoot the G42 .... the trigger pull breaks in the traditional Glock fashion, though is heavier than my full sized pistols... it is slightly larger than the LCP, but rides well in the nylon fishing shorts I typically wear.. I took an idea from the Recluse line of holsters that feature a cut down the spine, so your hand can has access to the grip when you use a natural draw stroke when I modified an existing Andrews holster

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have both a P3AT and LCP, and was not able to shoot either very accurately... I recently switched to a G42... the double action hammer fired small pistols break the shot with the long trigger almost touching the grip... I am able to more accurately and quickly shoot the G42 .... the trigger pull breaks in the traditional Glock fashion, though is heavier than my full sized pistols... it is slightly larger than the LCP, but rides well in the nylon fishing shorts I typically wear.. I took an idea from the Recluse line of holsters that feature a cut down the spine, so your hand can has access to the grip when you use a natural draw stroke when I modified an existing Andrews holster

<a href="http://s825.photobucket.com/user/LesSnyder/media/001_zpsb790afff.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/LesSnyder/001_zpsb790afff.jpg</a>
View Quote

I like the 42 but I wonder for the size I'm getting close to the lc9.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kahr P380.
View Quote
Got to second this since it is for your left pocket.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kahr P380.

I am intrigued. Accuracy?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#13]
What do we think off the Kahr PM9?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Many pocket carry it, but the P380 is a touch smaller. I recently tested both and was very impressed.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#15]
CW380 if you want to save a couple hundred bucks
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Thought about the bodyguard 380?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Old school S&W 642.

The Reason it is considered "old school" is because it works .

With the better ammo we have these days it is a reasonable compromise of power in a very easy to carry gun .

For me at any rate-
Weight and size I can live with and will carry every day
Not the best capacity and power but better power than many of the mouse guns
I generally shoot it much more accurately and faster than any semi of the same size
My ability to shoot it well and the rugged simple action gives me great confidence
It is wider  but I am not the kind of guy who is wearing tight jeans so it doesn't matter to me.
In colder months I have the ability to put it in my jacket pocket and if need be shoot through the jacket . What is more natural than walking across some parking lot in a sketchy area with my hand in my jacket pocket ?

I have challenged several friends at my club who claim they can't shoot revolvers to shoot my 642 alongside their favorite pocket semi auto and it usually ends up with them buying a 642
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a feeling I am about to order 3 guns......
I can not make up my mind.
This was easier when I lived in Dallas and could walk into a gun show and dump my extra guns.
So buy them all see what ends up living in my pocket then put them on gunbroker?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#19]
KAHR CW380 is $200 less than P380?

Sig Sauer P238 Sports 12 looks nice but cocked and locked in pocket?
And how long to train weak hand to operate safety.......
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

How does it shoot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Springfield XDS 3.3 .45

How does it shoot?

It shoots very easy. There are 7 round mags available but they add a bit more height.

Before I went with the XDS, I tried the LCP and the Beretta BU9. They're good too but I like .45
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#21]
LCP vs G42 size reference....caliber is your choice naturally and will cause a difference in felt recoil

I can shoot my LCP either fast OR accurately
I can shoot my G42 both fast AND accurately

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Love my Glock 42. But the Beretta Pico has replaced my LCP and Keltec P32.

Here is my range report: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_15/155432_Beretta_Pico_Range_Report.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Looked at a used P380 at LGS $600 and all they had.
Pointed nicely and front sight didn't move a bit while dry firing.
It seems bigger than the LCP?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#24]
as someone who pocket carries daily, you really need something that comes in at about 16oz loaded or less.  I've carried P380, P238, 340PD, PM9, and currently carry a G42.  Of all those pistols, the G42 excells at putting fast accurate hits on target.  They were all good guns, except the PM9 was a tad too heavy for covert pocket carry in a npe.  You need custom pockets and a wallet style pocket holster to reliably carry any of them in a npe.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#25]
OP  Carry a bigger gun!  I'm glad I didn't fall for the industries mantra that you can't conceal anything bigger than a small 380.  Total BS to sell new models IMHO.  You have to try a few different holsters and carry methods but I guarantee you'll find you can easily carry a bigger gun that you'll be able to shoot better!
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP  Carry a bigger gun!  I'm glad I didn't fall for the industries mantra that you can't conceal anything bigger than a small 380.  Total BS to sell new models IMHO.  You have to try a few different holsters and carry methods but I guarantee you'll find you can easily carry a bigger gun that you'll be able to shoot better!
View Quote

80% of the time I carry a 17L on my right hip. 10% of the time a 26IWB its that other 10% that I expect nothing to happen that I want something more than my leatherman.
I am amazed on how small the 9mm are getting and If the 42 was a 9 I would have one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:59:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't have a PM9, but I do have two CM9's, and they're great guns. They give me the same capacity as my old detonics mini-1911, at half the weight & size. Majorly good thing imo. Like them so much that I bought a third & gave it to one of my sons. It's become his primary ccw gun, and he's pretty well armed imo.

To answer your question about a left-pocket gun, for me it would be a tossup between a PM9/CM9 or simply another LCP. The PM/CM's have a power advantage. The LCP has the concealability and commonality advantage.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Check out the Colt Mustang XSP (the polymer one).  Very ergonomic and works for larger hands.  Finally under $400 with current prices and rebate.

Similar to the P238 but more comfortable grip for many, lighter, and ambi safety.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Couldn't find a P380 yet so I grabbed a CW380.
Its fun to shoot and seems to hit what I aim at!!
but the slide locks back prematurely almost every mag...
Using remington target..... only 100rds down range so far.

Ideas? Kahr says mail it to them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wife's P380 has been 100% after the suggested clean/lube & cycle the action 200 times before shooting the first time. Is it possible your thumb is hitting the bottom of the slide release and causing the premature lockbacks?
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wife's P380 has been 100% after the suggested clean/lube & cycle the action 200 times before shooting the first time. Is it possible your thumb is hitting the bottom of the slide release and causing the premature lockbacks?
Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

I have a CW380, and I had this problem a couple times while shooting it also. If you have anything resembling a limp wrist while you're shooting it you will have problems, they're a finicky little bastard. I've got the other 100rds of break in to run through it today plus some other rounds... been carrying it as a backup for a few weeks and it's very comfortable in rear pocket or front pocket.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have a CW380, and I had this problem a couple times while shooting it also. If you have anything resembling a limp wrist while you're shooting it you will have problems, they're a finicky little bastard. I've got the other 100rds of break in to run through it today plus some other rounds... been carrying it as a backup for a few weeks and it's very comfortable in rear pocket or front pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

I'm not gay but it is my left hand gun so its possible. I will concentrate on that. I will be putting another 100rds through it today and see what happens.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm not gay but it is my left hand gun so its possible. I will concentrate on that. I will be putting another 100rds through it today and see what happens.
Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Thanks

I believe KAHRS have a 500 round break in period,  I would but that many rounds through it and if you still have problems address your technique(no shame in limp wristing with your off hand.)  If you still have a problem send it to KAHR.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I believe KAHRS have a 500 round break in period,  I would but that many rounds through it and if you still have problems address your technique(no shame in limp wristing with your off hand.)  If you still have a problem send it to KAHR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Thanks

First 100rds lots of issues cleaning and heavy lube (treated it like an AR) 2nd 100rds 2 premature slide lock ups. rinse and repeat and 100rds with no issues.
I will put another 100rds or so of mixed ammo through it this weekend after backing off of the lube and see where we are.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions on this project.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I took the plunge on a CW380 today. I field stripped it, lubed it well, and headed to the range. A couple failures to go into battery were quickly corrected by a slap to the back of the slide, but I was only able to put 63 rounds through it. I'm pretty sure it is still breaking in. Trigger is very smooth. I may have also noticed that upon ejecting an empty magazine the slide seemed to close. I'll watch for this to happen again. It is very accurate for its size.

I like the fact that it was cheaper than the P380 because of the sights and barrel. I don't carr about the sights and actually prefer a rifled barrel anyway. I wish Kahrs came with two magazines, though. Extra mags are $35!

I'm not sure I'm overly concerned that the slide stop lever is MIM, but that is easily replaceable.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Range time you need, Practice you Must.

Yoda
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I carry an LC9 aiwb about 12:30. No holster, just a techna-clip. Very comfy with a light undershirt, and conceals very well.

I used to pocket a LCR 357, too heavy. Got a NAA mini, printed in pocket (and shoots like shit). The clip-carry LC9 is amazing.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s825.photobucket.com/user/LesSnyder/media/001_zpsb790afff.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz180/LesSnyder/001_zpsb790afff.jpg</a>
View Quote

The 42 works great in slacks and is the softest shooting 380 I have ever handled.  The new Glock 43 will be out soon.  In 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

My PM9 is great also.  I carry it in a El paso Saddlery Rough Out pocket rig.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Old school S&W 642.

The Reason it is considered "old school" is because it works .

With the better ammo we have these days it is a reasonable compromise of power in a very easy to carry gun .

For me at any rate-
Weight and size I can live with and will carry every day
Not the best capacity and power but better power than many of the mouse guns
I generally shoot it much more accurately and faster than any semi of the same size
My ability to shoot it well and the rugged simple action gives me great confidence
It is wider  but I am not the kind of guy who is wearing tight jeans so it doesn't matter to me.
In colder months I have the ability to put it in my jacket pocket and if need be shoot through the jacket . What is more natural than walking across some parking lot in a sketchy area with my hand in my jacket pocket ?

I have challenged several friends at my club who claim they can't shoot revolvers to shoot my 642 alongside their favorite pocket semi auto and it usually ends up with them buying a 642
View Quote

Late to the party, but so much this. My 442 is my pocket gun and its the best matched gun for the job out of any of my setups. My shield is a not so close second for IWB
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Not much first-hand experience with the other options out there, but I'm happy with my Glock 42.  It is small enough to wear in an Uncle Mike's size 4 pocket holster in dress pants.  I wear my (fat) wallet in front of it, so any printing is of my wallet.  If you must have one now, then I'd strongly recommend the 42.  It has a longer sight radius, which dramatically helps with accurate fire, and the barrel is significantly longer than other 380 pocket pistols, which helps with muzzle velocity (this is the 380s achilles heel).  This, pared with Fiocchi Extrema 95r XTP bullets has been shown to meet FBI standards for 12" penetration in ballistic gel.  No sure how this would work out of the shorter barreled pocket pistol options available today.  If you're still have some time to consider options, then I'd take a long look at the Glock 43 coming out later this year, as it is in 9mm and is only a few mm's bigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top