Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2014 6:48:49 PM EDT
I'm gonna be 21 in a month and plan on signing up for a CW class and buying my first pistol. I'm not new to guns but I don't stay updated on pistols as much as others. I haven't made up my mind on exactly what I want but I'm gonna narrow it down. I'd prefer something in a 9mm or even .380, low priced (less than $300), and small enough to carry concealed but doesn't have to be too small. I know that price is pretty low but I just want something simple that shoots reliably as a first pistol and I've been seeing some police trade-ins going for pretty low prices. Any opinions on certain brands or models? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#1]
People will tell you Glock 19, but that's a tight budget. Keltec and Taurus might have some offerings in that price range. Ruger lc9 or lcp? At this price it will be harder to find a truly reliable pistol but it can be done

Happy birthday by the way!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
save longer and fo Glock19
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The price really isn't a problem but I put that number to avoid glock talk. I should've just put that. I know I'm gonna spend more with taxes, holster, grip and magazines(maybe), and ammo included. Right now I'm looking at a Bersa Thunder .380, XD9 3", Shield 9mm, Sig P290rs 9mm as well as the others you named.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Shield is a good bet.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do you want to avoid glocks? They're the best in the category and a great bang for your buck. I don't have one either, I'm just curious your reasoning.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I know they're great and I'd like to get one in the future if I ever come across a good deal or a trade-in. I'd just rather not buy into the "brand" when there are other great guns out there and open to seeing if there are any others that I should know about. Many people will say "get an iphone" because of the brand and hype and so many people listen and never give Samsung, LG, or even Nokia's a chance. Also is there anything I should look for in holsters as far as size, material, style, brand?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm gonna be 21 in a month and plan on signing up for a CW class and buying my first pistol. I'm not new to guns but I don't stay updated on pistols as much as others. I haven't made up my mind on exactly what I want but I'm gonna narrow it down. I'd prefer something in a 9mm or even .380, low priced (less than $300), and small enough to carry concealed but doesn't have to be too small. I know that price is pretty low but I just want something simple that shoots reliably as a first pistol and I've been seeing some police trade-ins going for pretty low prices. Any opinions on certain brands or models? Thanks.
View Quote

At your price point the best thing I can tell you is a Bersa Thunder .380.

If you can muster $400 I would say find a used CZ. You find a used CZ, you will have a damn good firearm that will outperform and show up a glock, sig, beretta, s&w, etc at much less.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:19:20 AM EDT
[#8]
As far as holsters go, they are very personal. Different folks like different styles. There are many types ranging from brands like crossbreed to milt sparks. There are many good models and styles. You need to get one that has the proper amount of retention. Retention is how well the holster "retains" your gun. You don't want your gun to fall out when you bend over. It should have to be tugged out of the holster. The holster should be custom fitted for your gun. It will be the right shape and size to adequately protect the trigger. if you just buy a random holster that your gun happens to fit in, it will probably not firmly protect the trigger from snags, which can lead to your trigger being pulled accidentally in public, which is obviously horrible. Any custom holster maker will fit the leather or kydex to your gun. You need to choose a gun first than find a holster. Usually the google search "best concealed carry holster for XXXXXXXXX (insert gun type)" yields a good starting place. Do not expect to spend less than 65-85 dollars for a quality holster. This is not the area to cheap out.

Most modern semi autos in 9mm will fit your bill.I would not get a .380. The round is weak. Some like it, I don't. 9mm is the accepted defense cartridge for common semi autos these days. I don't carry 9mm. I carry a revolver in 357/38 sp because I spend time out in the forests of Idaho where there are bears and mountain lions. I only tell you this so you know I am being impartial and not trying to push my favorite caliber on you I don't even own a 9mm at the moment but I would probably choose 9mm if I was in your shoes. You need to get out and handle/shoot/read about a glock, xd, smith and wesson, taurus, ruger, all in 9mm. Which one you choose will be up to you and which one feels the best to you. The pro's and cons of all the individual pistols are too great to list in one post.

I recommend doing some research and lots of reading of reviews for guns and than holsters and try to buy the best you can afford. Feel free to message me if you have any questions at all.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. I really appreciate it. I'm starting to lean more towards 9mm now since I'll also want something small but powerful enough to carry in the woods when hunting around hogs and coyote. I hope to be shooting it in the woods more than at any indoor range or in a self defense situation. I'll start by renting different pistols at the range to get a feel before I make my decision.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I would think 9mm would be ok for coyotes but I don't know about hogs. We don't have them around here so I don't know how tough they are. If you want something that's a good woods gun and a great little carry gun all at once, check out the ruger sp101. You're going to lose some capacity but you will be able to take down hogs no problem at all, plus you can shoot cheaper 38 special ammo for fun. Super strong little gun, can be found for about 500, maybe less. If you're still pretty sure you want a 9mm there are many small single stack 9's that are very very small and thin and will have a magazine capacity around 6-7. If you're wanting higher capacity there are plenty of options with 10 or more rounds still in a small but wider frame. If you define your purpose for the gun it'll help you choose. A great carry gun is not always fun to go plink around with at the range because of its size. Guns for the woods aren't usually suited for comfortable carry. If you're careful and take your time you can find something that will be a great all around gun. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions on this website, there's lots of great info here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. I really appreciate it. I'm starting to lean more towards 9mm now since I'll also want something small but powerful enough to carry in the woods when hunting around hogs and coyote. I hope to be shooting it in the woods more than at any indoor range or in a self defense situation. I'll start by renting different pistols at the range to get a feel before I make my decision.
View Quote

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=2621012&mfg=1000078

Someone posted this link in the CZ section. Any of the CZ 75 series is a STEAL of a deal.

I am not affiliated with the seller, just a fan of the CZ guns.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
How many pistols have you shot, OP? I think a lot of us went through a bunch of different pistols before we finally settled. It's cheaper in the long run to just buy quality. You have so many options for ccw. Dont be afraid to buy something used either. Nothing wrong with glock/m&p, or even a revolver for that price point. Just don't buy a full sized frame, because you'll be looking for something smaller months afterward.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I never had many chances to get experience with handguns due to my age and the fact that I never really cared for anything with a barrel shorter than 16". I will consider the glock17 and I'm also interested in the 26 since it seems small enough to carry comfortably and holds what I think to be enough ammo that I need. I never expect to be in a firefight during my civilian life nor to I expect to be surrounded by a pack of wild coyotes. I don't plan to carry a multitool, extra mags, a flashlight and a fixed blade on my person everyday because I don't live in that type of environment and keep stuff like that in my car or home. I'm probably going to spend around $500 but hate to say it because I'll end up spending around $700 . Like I said I'm gonna start renting different pistols at the range to get a feel for what I want since me just talking about it isn't gonna help yall help me since I don't have any experience. Thanks again and I'm ok with hearing anymore comments or anything else I should know.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Shoot the mid frame M&Ps and Glocks. Both of those are great pistols, easy to find holsters/mags, and they fit your price range.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Shield is a good bet.
View Quote
This. I have a Shield 40 and that thing is awesome.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Id go for shield in 9mm. I know people who have them and love them. It was between that and the XDs 4.0 for me. The XDs won, for me,  but I still want a shield lol.

I have read great things about the Kel tec Pf9 also.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I recently went from a Glock 19 as my EDC to a Shield in 9mm. Very comfortable to carry and conceals perfect (for me). I'm a huge Glock fan. My bedside firearm is a Glock 17, but for carry, I love this Shield. I recently added Talon Rubber Grip. They are a must have.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I never had many chances to get experience with handguns due to my age and the fact that I never really cared for anything with a barrel shorter than 16". I will consider the glock17 and I'm also interested in the 26 since it seems small enough to carry comfortably and holds what I think to be enough ammo that I need. I never expect to be in a firefight during my civilian life nor to I expect to be surrounded by a pack of wild coyotes. I don't plan to carry a multitool, extra mags, a flashlight and a fixed blade on my person everyday because I don't live in that type of environment and keep stuff like that in my car or home. I'm probably going to spend around $500 but hate to say it because I'll end up spending around $700 . Like I said I'm gonna start renting different pistols at the range to get a feel for what I want since me just talking about it isn't gonna help yall help me since I don't have any experience. Thanks again and I'm ok with hearing anymore comments or anything else I should know.
View Quote

So its daylight all the time and you never need to cut anything?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. Save longer.. The 19 is about as all purpose as it gets. The shield will conceal easier and might be slightly cheaper. If you can save for longer then look at xdm, the standard xd line ive seen on sale alot lately and they also are very dependable. I carry a lot cause it's super easy in my FL weather. But I (and many others will tell you) the lcp is not a good first/only gun. They aren't comfortable shooters and 380 ammo is not the cheapest.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Agreed. Save longer.. The 19 is about as all purpose as it gets. The shield will conceal easier and might be slightly cheaper. If you can save for longer then look at xdm, the standard xd line ive seen on sale alot lately and they also are very dependable. I carry a lot cause it's super easy in my FL weather. But I (and many others will tell you) the lcp is not a good first/only gun. They aren't comfortable shooters and 380 ammo is not the cheapest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This! The glock 19 fills a lot of roles well. If i was going to only have one handgun the glock 19 would be it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I can vouch for the shield, the prices I've seen recently have me thinking I need to buy another one just because.  It's very comfortable for CCW - I find myself almost forgetting its there when im driving and it's comfortable sitting on the couch watching TV.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Turning 21? Do what I did and get a g21. My daily carry since I bought it
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know they're great and I'd like to get one in the future if I ever come across a good deal or a trade-in. I'd just rather not buy into the "brand" when there are other great guns out there and open to seeing if there are any others that I should know about. Many people will say "get an iphone" because of the brand and hype and so many people listen and never give Samsung, LG, or even Nokia's a chance. Also is there anything I should look for in holsters as far as size, material, style, brand?
View Quote

I used to think the EXACT same way, then I shot a glock 19, and a S&W side by side, and had to give in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok so Glock 19, 21, shield, xd9 and cz. I should also add that I'm left handed since idk if any of these have safeties or mag release buttons for right handed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I tried out the glock 26, springfield xd9 3" and a pretty nice looking ruger sr22 for fun while i was out at the range.  I fell in love with the xd9 but l'm sure i would like to carry the smaller g26 if i had a mag extension to give me pinkie space. I didn't try a s&w but may try that along with a revolver side by side with the xd9 then compare gear availability (holsters, mags, grips, future replacement barrels even) and it's price range before I draw my finalists and decide on a winner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh and my reason for liking the xd9... The safety off upon gripping and upon pulling the trigger makes it seem safer when carrying and the fact that there is no manual safety. It's a little blocky but still smaller than most other pistols I've seen and known others to conceal carry. It also felt great in my hands and shot perfect. Price is good too at around $380 for a case, 2 mags, bore brush, and cable lock for safe keeping. Although i doubt It'll be in hibernating in any of the safes much.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Since you're a lefty and like the G26, I'd say that's a good choice for you. If you get a Gen4 model, you can easily have the mag release put on the right side of the gun. The Gen 4 mags even come with cuts on the right side of the mags to make it work.

My G27 is my go to gun for work, and when I need to worry more about concealment. With the Pearce finger extension on the mag plate, it makes drawing much easier for me when I carry IWB, since I go for a very low ride carry. If I carry it OWB, I prefer the basic flush magazine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I am just switching from a 1911 to an XD 45 service model.

I would go that direction if I were you, less get the 9mm and perhaps a smaller framed version.

I will say this once to you, and once only: CARRY A SPARE MAG. If you have a malfunction, or perhaps you accidentally drop your mag somehow and realize in a firefight that you are only going to get the one in the pipe, you will be extremely happy to have that reload.

And carry a knife, preferably easily available to your reaction hand.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd definitely take any .380 off the table due to often sketchy ammo availability and the fact it's often much more expensive than 9mm.

Although you're not new to guns, I'd budget for some quality instruction beyond the minimum you often get in most ccw classes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I really like my Walther PK380 to carry. Only down side i see is it only has an 8 round mag. But I, like you, do not expect to be pinned down in a firefight on the streets. Also I found it tempormental on ammo. It wouldn't like anything steel cased, and there was a certain brand of defensive ammo (i can't remember which exactly) that wouldnt cycle well either. I think they run about $350.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I ended up getting the springfield xd9 subcompact. I love it. I already shot about 100 rounds of remington umc 115gr and it functioned well and was actually more accurate than I expected with that ammo. I'm gonna see how it  goes with some aluminum cased federal and find out what size and brand is more accurate so I can know what to keep for sd.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:11:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I ended up getting the springfield xd9 subcompact. I love it. I already shot about 100 rounds of remington umc 115gr and it functioned well and was actually more accurate than I expected with that ammo. I'm gonna see how it  goes with some aluminum cased federal and find out what size and brand is more accurate so I can know what to keep for sd.
View Quote
Break it in And good luck!

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top