Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have put a couple hundred rounds through a buddy's Shield.  Don't own a 19 but am familiar with the Glock 30.  LOVE the size and grip, but it has random FTEs which are worrisome in a CC gun.

Pros: Shield excels at AIWB/IWB carry, and I like the option for a manual safety, trigger isn't bad, and the ergos make Glocks (esp the .45s) feel like a plastic 2x4, decent price point, nice to have flush fit 7+1 with backups that hold 8.  VERY concealable little gun.

Cons: tends to shoot way left out of the box (fixable) and a good chunk of folks report fte issues (may be ammo sensitive although they must really hate wwb from those accounts but folks are reporting them with a wide variety of ammo- I have seen them with Golden Sabers, may be a grip issue, might be poor finishing on some feed ramps/chambers/poor extractor design or a combo of the above).  Like this (not my pic):

fte thread

moar ftes

again ftes
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Pros: It's popular, comes in 9mm

Cons: weighs as much as a G26, probably won't be 100% reliable with stock parts, holds less rounds than I have fingers, no interchangeable backstraps, too big for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a 1911 45ACP type guy and all my carry guns for the last 15 years have been 1911s.  But I also have osteoarthritis in my back.  The weight of my 1911s gives my back a fit at times and I wasn't able to carry much of the time. Not something I liked!!  So last Sept. I wandered into a new gun store while on vacation and found a Shield 9mm with a thumb safety.  Handled it, did a couple of dry fires, and the trigger wasn't too horrible. It had about an 8lb pull, later verified with my digital trigger gauge as 8 to 9.25lbs pull.  I liked the weight and size a lot, so I bought it. When I got home I started reading the S&W forums for the M&P pistols.  I wound up ordering a Apex duty/carry kit and installing it which made a huge difference in the trigger pull and smoothness.  After about 300 more rounds of ammo I decided to order the Apex trigger and installed it.  That brought the trigger pull down to 4lbs 4 oz very consistently from shot to shot with a lot less takeup and overtravel.  My 1911s are set for 4lb trigger pulls and that's the way I like my triggers. All my 1911a have thumb safeties so I'm used to them and find the one on the Shield to be very decent and easy to use. I won't have a defensive pistol with out a thumb safety, but that just me.  So now when my back gives me a fit I switch to the Shield.  I also installed some Talon Granulate grips on it, fantastic!  I consistently shoot 3 in groups at 21 to 35 ft, my normal practice ranges. I also put some Ameriglo Orange/Green night sights on it, love them.

Pros: Very accurate, light weight, small and very easy to conceal, 100% reliable with everything I've used in it. and it doesn't hurt my back!!!

Cons: I don't really have any, other than my preference for a much better trigger. But that was my choice and the gun was perfectly useable out of the box. I just do better with less trigger pull weight.

All of my 1911s have had trigger jobs done on them also. I learned about 12 years ago how to do safe and effective 1911 trigger jobs.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top