Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2014 7:18:51 PM EDT
I just had back surgery and carrying IWB is not happening, I also cannot wear jeans with a belt my incision and surgery area are right at that level. This will be my story for several months while I heal up. So I wear sweat pants and such, I still want to carry, my main CCW are Glock 19 and 26. Any ideas or suggestions would be great, any help from anyone who has had back surgery and dealt with this issue please help.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoulder holster.  I would also make sure you carry large mags to equalize both sizes so you don't favor ones side or the other.

An ankle rig *could* have an effect on your gait, so I don't know about that during healing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger lcp front pocket....after my disk surg must keep alignment when sitting. Low weight.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just had back surgery and carrying IWB is not happening, I also cannot wear jeans with a belt my incision and surgery area are right at that level. This will be my story for several months while I heal up. So I wear sweat pants and such, I still want to carry, my main CCW are Glock 19 and 26. Any ideas or suggestions would be great, any help from anyone who has had back surgery and dealt with this issue please help.
View Quote

suspenders

Get some of these to hold up your sweat pants, wearing them under your shirt.  That way you won't have to have them tight and you can pocket carry heavy weight, or maybe a paddle holster.

Get the clips with the needle in them.  This company makes the best that you will find.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Back surgery...this might be a big deal, but I'm not your doc.
My instincts say this; keep the weight off your back.  This means NO shoulder holster.  Weight has to be distributed to your HIPS...this means OWB or IWB, but you say you can't do this.  Soooo, the piece has to go lower.....to your ankle.
The other possibility is to go light; your G19,... lighter; your G26,... or lightest....a NEW G42!!!
Great excuse to buy a new pistol!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
A year ago yesterday I blew out my back and spent the next month recovering.  Still can't waist carry. I front pocket carry and ankle carry a g26 or a shield. I do this daily.

I didn't carry when I was in the jacked up on codeine and wearing pajamas or sweats stage.

I still miss my 1911. Too heavy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps one of those Velcro belly bands provide a little back support and you can place it so it does not run or impact the tender spots
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Lap in a pocket or quality shoulder holster.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Thunderwear or whatever they call it now
Sits lower (on the hips, not the waist). I don't know where you scar/incision is.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a very bad back, I can't put a wallet in my back pocket without causing pain. I use a fanny pack that I wear in front. Depending on where your incision is you may be able to wear it on your hips like the above poster mentioned and not put any pressure on the back itself. Plus you have the ability to put your wallet, your keys and small flashlight etc in it
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Carrying a 2-3 lb handgun with 2-3 lbs of ammunition distributed evenly across your shoulders is virtually nothing, IMHO.  
There are some leather and winter jackets out there that weigh more.  
Again, this is really a decision for your Doctor.
Carrying anything on your ankle, waist, or pocket can definitely effect your gait (even in a subtle way) , and cause uneven pressure, especially when sitting down, and standing back up.

YMMV  

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the help on this from everyone who posted, I am still looking at different choices like the belly band, the one from the YouTube above and shoulder holster. Thanks again I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Perhaps one of those Velcro belly bands provide a little back support and you can place it so it does not run or impact the tender spots
View Quote
That's what I use a Truss holster.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you wear this low enough hat it really acts like a tuckable?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can wear it low enough to conceal the lower third inside your waistband and still use the straps if you prefer. I know a couple of guys that wear them lower and remove the shoulder straps. I had surgery at L5/S1 last year. I wear it just above my belt and have put a ab pad over my spine on occasion. The shoulder straps help with some of the weight displacement as well.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 5:08:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I had my lowest 3 vertebrae fused a couple of years back. They went in through my stomach with a 6-7" incision right at my belt level, half above, half below. The 5 or 6 months after the surgery I wasn't out and about very often other than to go to physical therapy or short trips to the store and I was on some pretty potent pain medication 24/7. As much as I hated it, I didn't carry during that time period for multiple reasons. One being I was always wearing sweats or scrubs....jeans or anything with a belt or tight waist was not happening. The other reason was the fear that if I were to use my firearm the blood work that would follow would show I was on strong narcotics and a prosecutor or lawyer would no doubt have a party with that info if it were to go to court. No thanks. I don't even know the legalities of carrying while on that type of medication? Anyways, until I had healed up and stopped taking the medication I took my chances and didn't carry....and I lived!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Shoulder holster is what I used after my back surgery during my recuperation period.  Just get yourself a zip up sweat jacket to go with the sweat pants and you'll fit right in.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Ankle carry is a poor idea. At that level of incision, bending is not going to be present I imagine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top