Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2014 9:35:02 PM EDT
I've been carrying my G26 in a MTAC for the last few years.  It's been a pretty good holster and I find it pretty comfortable, but it has little to no retention anymore.  Seems the leather backing has stretched out over time.  I was thinking about going with a full kydex holster this time around, maybe a Raven or Bravo Concealment.  I know they were made with OWB carry in mind, but I'm wondering how they are when used IWB with the optional clips.  I like the idea of having something adjustable for height / cant like the MTAC.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got a Raven about 3 weeks ago and really like it alot. I carry a G26 IWB with the soft loops. Very comfortable IMO, no problem sitting, driving, etc. It conceals well and retention is excellent.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got a Raven about 3 weeks ago and really like it alot. I carry a G26 IWB with the soft loops. Very comfortable IMO, no problem sitting, driving, etc. It conceals well and retention is excellent.
View Quote

What position do you carry it? I have a G19 w/APL Raven but haven't worn it IWB yet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I carry a 19 with X300 IWB at 3:00 in a Raven Phantom with the soft loops without issue. I did take a little skateboard tape and put it on the outside to make it a little more stable in my britches though.
View Quote

I occasionally do the same. However in the winter I usually roll OWB. I also love the use of the word "britches" Let's bring that back. Also good tip on the skateboard tape.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What position do you carry it? I have a G19 w/APL Raven but haven't worn it IWB yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4:00 O'clock
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#6]
G19 /TLR 1 in a Phantom.  For me it is every bit as comfortable as the MTAC it replaced.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would like to run OWB, but even in the dead of winter in FL, it's pretty tough to pull it off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I carry a 19 with X300 IWB at 3:00 in a Raven Phantom with the soft loops without issue. I did take a little skateboard tape and put it on the outside to make it a little more stable in my britches though.

I occasionally do the same. However in the winter I usually roll OWB. I also love the use of the word "britches" Let's bring that back. Also good tip on the skateboard tape.

I would like to run OWB, but even in the dead of winter in FL, it's pretty tough to pull it off.

I missed the FL location...that makes sense....must be tough. Sun...women....Mickey Mouse

I have also carried 26 in a Raven Phantom IWB, it conceals very well under tshirt and is comfortable enough. Just make sure you order the extension clips, it will allow for full grip on the draw. If not you will need munchkin hands.

Edit: just realized you weren't OP....free tip on the 26
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I missed the FL location...that makes sense....must be tough. Sun...women....Mickey Mouse

I have also carried 26 in a Raven Phantom IWB, it conceals very well under tshirt and is comfortable enough. Just make sure you order the extension clips, it will allow for full grip on the draw. If not you will need munchkin hands.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely do this.  I had to do the same thing with the Phantom I got for my PM9.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm in FL as well, so IWB is more or less a must for me.  Plus I'm usually just in a T-shirt with no undershirt, so I was a little concerned about the comfort of an all kydex rig vs the MTAC.  I'm also looking at the Comp-Tac Flatline, as it is similar to the other holsters mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#11]
you really need to check out hiddenhybridholsters they make some amazing holsters... I have 3-4 MTACs and they are great. but after I switch to a HK45c with a tlr3 as my primary carry gun I had to look around... figured for the price I would give them a shot. Got it not to long ago been wearing it every chance I get. I carry around the 3:30 ish position IWB. NO issues over the past 2 months I have had it... to it to the range and practiced drawing firing, and re holstering. Was able to do so with no issues.

1 thing though is if you want it cut a specific way you can call them and they will customize it to some extent. but I would get the HHH s1 or s1a the front cut out for you leg is something that you will end up doing yourself if you don't have them do it.. Best of luck
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
What about the Comp-Tac CTAC? Nearly identical to your MTAC, but it won't have the stretching leather problem since the entire holster body is kydex. The CTAC has been my go-to IWB holster for nearly 10 years.

FWIW, I really like the Raven for OWB carry.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#13]
you can buy new leather backs or new hardware to re tighten the holster up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll check out the CTAC.  In the meantime I was able to heat up the kydex a little on my MTAC and I made the dimple that retains the trigger guard a bit deeper.  Retention is better now.  My MTAC is older, and I don't think the new leather backings are interchangable.  Might swich to appendix carry in the future, just waiting on my JM Custom Kydex holster to show up.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I was surprised how comfortable my Phantoms are IWB.  I normally carry them OWB, but they work surprisingly well IWB.  I had one of the early MTACs and swore by it for years, but I sold it about 6 months ago because it just wasn't getting used any more.  I normally carry appendix in an INCOG or NUoSU Concealment holster these days, but if I carry on my hip instead I use a Phantom.  I have one for a G26 and one for a G17.  If I'm carrying my G19, I just use the G17 holster.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess I'm the only one who finds the Raven uncomfortable IWB?  For me, the CTAC is much more comfortable than the Raven IWB.  The Raven's a nice holster for OWB though.  

Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, so my Raven sits in a drawer most of the time...
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Went ahead and placed an order for the CTAC, seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.  Not sure why that one wasn't on my radar.  The short lead time is a plus as well.  Thanks for the replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top