Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2014 2:06:54 PM EDT
When I unholstered my 1911 last night to put away the mag was sticking out a little bit.  Maybe 1/4 or 1/2".  I'm like 99.999999999% certain it was seated when I holstered.  And if that is the case obviously at some point sitting down the mag catch got pressed.  Which is crazy because it was in the holster the whole time.  I was lounging on my sofa at one point watching Catching Fire with my Son.  

Of course I carry a spare mag but I don't like how that would've played out had I needed it.  It just seems like you gain a little bit of extra reliability and simplicity with a revolver over an auto.  I've never had something like that happen.

Although as I'm typing this it dawned on me that I'm not really using a proper holster.   The leather is kind of soft and thin.  But it kind of adds to the ease of carrying it.  I suppose it's possible it's to blame though.  The mag catch is definitely covered though.  

Anybody else have this happen?  

Either that or the mag was never seated, but I really don't think that was the case.  I suppose it's possible though.  And I suppose with a revolver you could not seat the cylinder all the way.  But I don't know.  That'd be pretty hard to do.  

Anyways....  comments are welcomed.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps this is not a discussion about revolvers or the reliability of magazine fed guns, but a discussion about quality holsters?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
that's why my CCW is a five shot .357 revolver.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Perhaps this is not a discussion about revolvers or the reliability of magazine fed guns, but a discussion about quality holsters?
View Quote

^
THIS.
CCW is more than the firearm, quality holster, quality ammo, training with said ammo to be able to draw and hit targets, mindset, legal issues.

Thinking CCW is about only the firearm is like thinking raising a kid is only about kissing a woman on a date.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
FPNI. I bet it was a holster issue.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not always the holster's fault. Twice as carrying a P220 in a Uncle Mike's Pro3 duty holster I was driving around when I heard the distinct metal clank of my magazine hitting the rear floorboard. The seat belt kept hitting the mag release so don't just automatically blame the holster it could have been you, belt, couch, etc.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It's not always the holster's fault. Twice as carrying a P220 in a Uncle Mike's Pro3 duty holster I was driving around when I heard the distinct metal clank of my magazine hitting the rear floorboard. The seat belt kept hitting the mag release so don't just automatically blame the holster it could have been you, belt, couch, etc.
View Quote
Yea....

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Holster problem, not a gun problem.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
A good holster should protect the magazine release. A quality holster made of kydex or kydex with a leather back will eliminate the problem.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

And movies.  

But seriously, The holster's ability is protect the magazine release is a big deal, especially for lefties. It is something I look for specifically. It's also an area I pay particular attention to when doing my own kydex work.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Been carrying 1911s for 15 years, and never once had that occur.

It could be a worn mag catch, mag catch spring, or you really didn't seat it when you thought you did, or it could be the holster design.

None of those speak to the unreliability of a semi auto for defense. I've seen revolvers with messed up pawls not work , and a few other things.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The leather is kind of soft and thin.  

View Quote

Soft and thin will simply collapse in on the mag release like a piece of cloth.
A proper holster should shield the mag release.
And do it with something hard enough that it doesn't give way like it's not even there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I will chalk it up to needing a new holster.  Thanks for setting me straight.  I still like revolvers though.  

It's probably time for a Crossbreed.  Or Raven?  I don't know if I'll like that big ole leather wrapping around my whole side, so I might go with the Raven.  Of course I would like a milt sparks, and that is something to consider.  I DO like how the Crossbreed doesn't cover the muzzle.  I think it would be less bulky.  I'm kind of skinny.  Well, I'm real skinny.  Although maybe that wouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Also what model 1911 was this? Many handguns can have a very pronounced mag release which make them great for range/competition but have adverse effects for carry like many other features (i.e. longer slides/grips, larger sights, etc).  Model or type in regards to 1911s can be very important consider the number of audiences different versions will cater to whether it be GI-style, carry-oriented, or competition-oriented.

I actually has this same issue with my SW1911TA using a quality adjustable kydex/leather holster. The fix was for me to remove the leather covering the mag release since the it was so easily depressed with the material over it. The removal resulted in the mag release being flush with the leather backing and no longer being a high spot. Since the mag release was a high spot, it caused it to act like a pivot point if pressure was applied to the end of the grip.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Two things will cure this problem for sure.  1) When you push a mag into the gun always pull it to make sure it's fully seated, & 2) spend the money for a quality holster if you're going to carry it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also what model 1911 was this? Many handguns can have a very pronounced mag release which make them great for range/competition but have adverse effects for carry like many other features (i.e. longer slides/grips, larger sights, etc).  Model or type in regards to 1911s can be very important consider the number of audiences different versions will cater to whether it be GI-style, carry-oriented, or competition-oriented.

I actually has this same issue with my SW1911TA using a quality adjustable kydex/leather holster. The fix was for me to remove the leather covering the mag release since the it was so easily depressed with the material over it. The removal resulted in the mag release being flush with the leather backing and no longer being a high spot. Since the mag release was a high spot, it caused it to act like a pivot point if pressure was applied to the end of the grip.
View Quote

Springy milspec  Just a normal ole mag catch.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Kramer horse hide belt scabbard.

Thank me later
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:50:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Walther-style paddle release uber alles
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been carrying for 15 years and had 1 gun / holster combo that caused this to happen.  I stopped using that combo and have never had the issue again.  Hard to beat the 15+1 or 17+1 capacity of the auto I carry.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Dropped a magazine on an M9 once as well (it dropped onto the floor of an aircraft cockpit and I didn't notice until I was out walking around a training area).

It doesn't normally happen, and considering the numbers issued and used world-wide (including while mounted on horses) maybe it was your choice of leather.

How long had it been since you'd checked and cleaned the weapon and ensured the mag was seated?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I will chalk it up to needing a new holster.  Thanks for setting me straight.  I still like revolvers though.  

It's probably time for a Crossbreed.  Or Raven?  I don't know if I'll like that big ole leather wrapping around my whole side, so I might go with the Raven.  Of course I would like a milt sparks, and that is something to consider.  I DO like how the Crossbreed doesn't cover the muzzle.  I think it would be less bulky.  I'm kind of skinny.  Well, I'm real skinny.  Although maybe that wouldn't matter.
View Quote

Raven will make it a pass through holster if you want.  You'll have to request it and request the mag release covered as well, their standard holsters leave the catch uncovered for admin reload.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The leather is kind of soft and thin.
View Quote

There was a story or video out not long ago about some guy's Glock discharging when he holstered it.  I think they traced the root cause back to the soft and thin holster curling in on the trigger and pushing it to the rear.  People were actually dumb enough to claim the gun (all Glocks) were unsafe!  

When I was a Flight Engineer on C-141s we had a saying; "You gotta be smarter than what you're working with."

Soft and thin are great for women, but not for a holster.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Raven will make it a pass through holster if you want.  You'll have to request it and request the mag release covered as well, their standard holsters leave the catch uncovered for admin reload.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is good to know.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:17:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The supertucks are really nice, for smaller pistols, which would not be a 1911, the quickclip is really nice as well.  (Mine is for a Sig P290RS)

ETA:  To clarify, the quickclip is good for small pistols.

The supertuck would work for a 1911.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Look for a nice kydex holster (Raven/Bravo) and everyone should be in the habit of a quick mag seat/brass check before you leave the house.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Holster problem, not a gun problem.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
This is just one of the many reasons I prefer Kydex to leather for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:36:28 AM EDT
[#28]
My milspec has an extended mag release and I've never had this issue. 100% holster issue.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Revolvers cannot malfunction?  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hang out in the revolver subforum, that seems to be the case.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol    
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I had this same problem with a 1911 and a crossbreed holster.  I fixed the problem by cutting the thick leather around the magazine release.  The holster looks like shit now but it seems to have corrected the issue.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

get yourself a milt sparks VMII or Nexus, both are extremely comfortable and are my go to holsters for my 1911's.  I also have to say I really love my M11 from Brigade Gunleather, it is very comfortable and his quality and cs are fantastic, all made by one man, the owner, it is a long wait though!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had this same problem with a 1911 and a crossbreed holster.  I fixed the problem by cutting the thick leather around the magazine release.  The holster looks like shit now but it seems to have corrected the issue.
View Quote

exactly what happened to me as previously posted.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When I unholstered my 1911 last night to put away the mag was sticking out a little bit.  Maybe 1/4 or 1/2".  I'm like 99.999999999% certain it was seated when I holstered.  And if that is the case obviously at some point sitting down the mag catch got pressed.  Which is crazy because it was in the holster the whole time.  I was lounging on my sofa at one point watching Catching Fire with my Son.  

Of course I carry a spare mag but I don't like how that would've played out had I needed it.  It just seems like you gain a little bit of extra reliability and simplicity with a revolver over an auto.  I've never had something like that happen.

Although as I'm typing this it dawned on me that I'm not really using a proper holster.   The leather is kind of soft and thin.  But it kind of adds to the ease of carrying it.  I suppose it's possible it's to blame though.  The mag catch is definitely covered though.  

Anybody else have this happen?  

Either that or the mag was never seated, but I really don't think that was the case.  I suppose it's possible though.  And I suppose with a revolver you could not seat the cylinder all the way.  But I don't know.  That'd be pretty hard to do.  

Anyways....  comments are welcomed.
View Quote

Never had this issue in several decades of carrying 1911 type pistols. I use quality leather, such as Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen.
Invest in quality leather, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never had the bullets partially hanging out of the gun.  I sure they can malf like any other gun, but I personally believe that it is less likely with a revolver than an auto.   If you believe differently, I have no problem with that.  We all have to come to our own conclusions on what we want to trust.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#37]
While I agree that a proper holster will go a good way toward solving this, it is one of the reasons I feel extended mag catches are one of the worst things to ever be invented. It is much more important the loaded mag stay in than the speed of a reload.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I've never had the bullets partially hanging out of the gun.  I sure they can malf like any other gun, but I personally believe that it is less likely with a revolver than an auto.   If you believe differently, I have no problem with that.  We all have to come to our own conclusions on what we want to trust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I shoot a fair amount of revolver and hang out with people that compete nationally with them.

They have a whole host of problems that people make believe don't happen.  I tend to trust experience and observation vs feelings.

On the revolver subforum there is a belief that a J-frame and a shitty hks speedloader is all that's needed... and magically it'll never have problems.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#39]
holster not a gun problem

revolvers have problems all the time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top