Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2014 10:25:17 PM EDT
I'm in need of some advice:

My mother (5'2 and < 120 lbs) is looking to get her concealed carry permit and to purchase a handgun for this reason. The issue is that I'm honestly not sure which gun to recommend her.

She wants to carry in her purse (I've tried telling her that's a bad idea, but she's incredibly stubborn), and so I was thinking a snub-nosed .38 such as the Ruger LCR or S&W 640. However, I'm concerned that the recoil will be too much for her and there aren't any ranges in my area who rent out snubbies. .  

She shoots my Glock 19 and her CZ-75b very well, but has trouble racking the slides. In addition, these are too large for her to effectively carry on her person.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#1]
G42... much easier to shoot and actually hit something than a snubbie... but make sure she has a pocket holster for her purse that covers the trigger
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Shield w/o safety.   My wife who is smaller cannot rack the slide on small guns too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Since she all ready has a CZ maybe one of them CZ RAMI I think I spelled that right.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]

I carry a P3AT in a belly band, low on the hips. I'm her size. I use a G19 for training, open carry and home defense. If my hands failed me, I'd move to a larger framed revolver, I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Try the Shield.

I had a Ruger LCR .38 special for a couple of months. Hurt to shoot. Kicked like a mule. I have carpal tunnel my right hand was just beat up after shooting it. Sold it.

If mom wants to carry in her purse, point her in the direction of the Well Armed Woman website. They have a bunch of videos on different carry methods.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm in need of some advice:

My mother (5'2 and < 120 lbs) is looking to get her concealed carry permit and to purchase a handgun for this reason. The issue is that I'm honestly not sure which gun to recommend her.

She wants to carry in her purse (I've tried telling her that's a bad idea, but she's incredibly stubborn), and so I was thinking a snub-nosed .38 such as the Ruger LCR or S&W 640. However, I'm concerned that the recoil will be too much for her and there aren't any ranges in my area who rent out snubbies. .  

She shoots my Glock 19 and her CZ-75b very well, but has trouble racking the slides. In addition, these are too large for her to effectively carry on her person.

Any recommendations?
View Quote

If she is going to carry in her purse, is size really going to be an issue?  I agree that on her would be better, but in the purse is still better than at home.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Glock 17L w/ slide racker on cocking piece cover.  Or Uzi - whatever she feels comfortable w/.  She could fit a Deagle in her purse.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a P2000SK LEM in 9mm tthat I've had excellent feedback on from smaller female shooters.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]
My two favorite small 9s are the Walther PPS and the Sig 239. Both are very accurate.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
My mother used to carry a G26. I don't know what she's carrying now. I should ask her about the 26...
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My mother used to carry a G26. I don't know what she's carrying now. I should ask her about the 26...
View Quote

I think there's one or two ladies who make a 26 work. I can't stand them. I can conceal a 19 better, the longer lines blend with my clothes better instead of being a little lump. When I can dress like a bum, or if I have a fanny pack on, I go for the 19.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#12]
How much easier is it to manipulate the slide on a Shield vs her G19? I've never handled a shield.

It might be worth it to drive out to a range that would rent a snub to you, especially if she is playing the stubborn mom route, she'll only carry what she likes.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Just remember the smaller the gun, typically the heavier the recoil spring. Also might want to avoid cz style guns since the slide is integral and has a small grip surface. I'd look into the shield or pps/q like others have recommended.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Most women default to off body carry. Most women don't dress in a way that they could pull off on body carry. That said, it shouldn't matter what gun she chooses since most women can fit a howitzer in some of the huge purses they have. So it should come down to what gun she shoots best and is most comfortable shooting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#16]
The Glock 42 is very accurate and easy to shoot. It kind of defies the too small to shoot idea.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Most women default to off body carry. Most women don't dress in a way that they could pull off on body carry. That said, it shouldn't matter what gun she chooses since most women can fit a howitzer in some of the huge purses they have. So it should come down to what gun she shoots best and is most comfortable shooting.
View Quote

Most women only think they can't on body carry.

With a belly band, low on the hips, you can conceal a nice little mouse gun without much fashion compromise at all.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends entirely upon her proficiency level, recoil sensitivity, and IF she will actually practice. Along with what fits her hands
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#19]
The wife of one of my friends is Thai and probably 4'10" (though she swears she's 5') and she carries a Ruger LC9s for both on-body and off; she started with the .380 version, changed to the LC9 then the s version.  Another friend's wife who is about your size carries a G 42 in her purse.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Several have recommended the Glock 42, I'll add my recommendation to that.  My wife has used .38 spl. snubbies for decades, however it looks like I'm going to have to buy another 42.

Here's something to consider that most folks don't.  If you and you significant other are both carrying, you should consider carrying firearms of the same caliber.  Probably never need to resupply one another, but then again...

To that end, I usually carry a .38 spl. when out and about with my wife.  She will sometimes deign to carry her Glock 30 when I insist on carrying mine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife has a Sig P238.  The slide is very easy to work and the recoil is very low as well.  7+1 rounds of .380 with the extended mag.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

With a belly band, low on the hips, you can conceal a nice little mouse gun without much fashion compromise at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Bellyband works for you, but there are other options that have worked well for many women......  Look at Flashbang Holsters.......  there is an entire line of holsters and belts dedicated toward women!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:21:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Kahr P380.  CW380 if you're on a slim budget.  Same gun without the match grade barrel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#24]
http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-concealed-carry.html
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#25]
g42 with laser wife has other pistols but this i her go to.[but she still shoots better with my pps] its light something to consider even for purse carry.easy to shoot.she also has a 3'' sp 101 but its alot heavier and the da trigger pull is a bit much for her
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Bellyband works for you, but there are other options that have worked well for many women......  Look at Flashbang Holsters.......  there is an entire line of holsters and belts dedicated toward women!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:48:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I certainly thought I wasn't going to be able to carry on body, but I've been carrying a Shield for 9 months now with a belt from the Flashbang holster maker (kydex reinforced - very sturdy but still black patent leather) with a minimal kydex holster from the Well Armed Woman website. I carry appendix, which makes all the difference for me. I don't have the hand strength (from carpal tunnel) to manipulate the clip to get the holster on my belt behind my hip. I have some range of motion issues too.

Unfortunately, it's difficult to see what would work for a woman unless they can find someone with a holster they can try. I'm not shy about showing how I carry and will willingly show it to any woman who asks. The Well Armed Woman website does have a bunch of videos on various carry methods, as does the Falia Photography channel on YouTube. That being said, having a CCW-specific purse for those occasional times when your clothes don't allow for on body carry, is a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Mt wife carries a Sig P238 on her hip.  It prints a little but she isn't concerned and nobody else notices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top