Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 9:20:43 AM EDT

Is it common that a store will allow CC for customers that have a CC license but not for an employee who has one?   Just curious, because I feel if anyone would need it the most I would think it would be the employee...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah alot of places have a "no weapons policy" for employees...most of my friends who work in places like that carry a sub compact very deep.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yeah alot of places have a "no weapons policy" for employees...most of my friends who work in places like that carry a sub compact very deep.
View Quote

That's really BS.  Must just come down to "possible" legality/liability issues for them.  If they make it legal for the others, they should make it legal for the employees IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah, they say that they can always get another job but you get 1 life.....but they would rather not make a big deal out of it so they just carry and do it well to stay under the radar.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Home Depot (in Connecticut) allows concealed and open carry by customers . By Connecticut law the pistol permit that is required to purchase or carry a pistol is the same for concealed or open carry
As a employee any weapon on person or in vehicle is grounds for end of employment.

their job , their rules ( not saying I support their rules , just stating that is where it stands)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]
It all boils down to liability. Businesses do not want their employees to take action fearing lawsuits.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#6]
In TX you can CC almost everywhere, and business that don't want your business can put up a specific no CC sign (It's huge, like 3 feet wide ).

Employees generally can't CC unless it's a small private shop. Good luck convincing any national or large regional chain to allow CC. Too many legal and liability headaches. I know where I work we can't carry anything that even resembles a weapon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In TX you can CC almost everywhere, and business that don't want your business can put up a specific no CC sign (It's huge, like 3 feet wide ).

Stupid, that makes them even more of target for the bad guys (or you're just kidding?).

Employees generally can't CC unless it's a small private shop. Good luck convincing any national or large regional chain to allow CC. Too many legal and liability headaches. I know where I work we can't carry anything that even resembles a weapon.
View Quote

I guess the door swings both ways, but I wonder if this will be challenged some day if SHTF in a store like this and an employee who has a CC license gets hurt.  I know it's their choice because it they are private and it is free will to work there, but you need to make a living and you "should" have the right to defend yourself anywhere according to the 2nd.  After all, they do promise a Safe Environment for employees and that's the law.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sometimes working for a small outfit has its advantages.  I carry everyday at work. In the office and customer sites.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I guess the door swings both ways, but I wonder if this will be challenged some day if SHTF in a store like this and an employee who has a CC license gets hurt.  I know it's their choice because it they are private and it is free will to work there, but you need to make a living and you "should" have the right to defend yourself anywhere according to the 2nd.  After all, they do promise a Safe Environment for employees and that's the law.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid, that makes them even more of target for the bad guys (or you're just kidding?).

There's no law saying the company has to prevent you from being shot by a robber during work. Corporate lawyers couldn't give a shit if you die on the job as long as it's not the company's fault. I agree companies should be responsible for providing armed security if they prevent cc at work or prevent customers from cc'ing, but good luck getting that passed.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#10]
... Lives in Illinois

FAIL

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There's no law saying the company has to prevent you from being shot by a robber during work. Corporate lawyers couldn't give a shit if you die on the job as long as it's not the company's fault. I agree companies should be responsible for providing armed security if they prevent cc at work or prevent customers from cc'ing, but good luck getting that passed.

View Quote

Kansas did. In order to truly be off limits for CCW, every person entering must be screened by security for weapons.

I might be wrong, but I think those places must also have armed security.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Jewel-Osco,  a large grocery store chain here in the Chicago area,  has signs like that.  Walmart  even had those for a while here earlier this year.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Kansas did. In order to truly be off limits for CCW, every person entering must be screened by security for weapons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That at least makes some sense if they are going to put restrictions on CCW at work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Jewel-Osco,  a large grocery store chain here in the Chicago area,  has signs like that.  Walmart  even had those for a while here earlier this year.

View Quote

Interesting, I have never seen them.  I will have to look closer next time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is it common that a store will allow CC for customers that have a CC license but not for an employee who has one?   Just curious, because I feel if anyone would need it the most I would think it would be the employee...
View Quote

I think this is just one of the many problems you will encounter with concealed carry in Illinois. The state refuses to take note from other states and adopt a program that has proven itself to be beneficial to citizen and state. Because of that, the taboo on carrying a firearm for personal defense will live on and impact people in ways like this and many others.

I'm originally from Illinois and have had way too many double face palms in regards to Illinois and their newly gained freedom to carry a handgun for personal defense. There are way too many examples out there for the entire state to learn from at this point. Its embarrassing that the entire state insists on repeating mistakes that most of thought we were moving past as a community. Illinois is definitely not the only state at fault on this specific issue, it is just a good example of how they will continue to undermine the right that their citizens now have.

In before the...."Any kind of carry is good derp"
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I won't violate the law.
But a company policy means next to nothing to me.
My summer employer had no problem with it though. They didn't know about it actually until I mentioned getting my instructor's certification. Then they asked, so I told.
I've had several jobs that forbid carrying but have always been armed anyway. It's my duty, and only mine to defend myself. No job is worth dying for.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Very few businesses allow employee carry.  Anything past a mom and pop operation and I would be stunned to see it permitted.  Insurance is the usual excuse.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Very few businesses allow employee carry.  Anything past a mom and pop operation and I would be stunned to see it permitted.  Insurance is the usual excuse.
View Quote

But legally, what prohibits an employee from carrying is the question?

I assume if an employee had cause, and used their weapon, they'd be fired.

It seems like when that happens, like the guy at Autozone, the company takes more backlash than the employee.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It seems like when that happens, like the guy at Autozone, the company takes more backlash than the employee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legally you will get your ass fired whether you use the pistol or not.  In some states the no firearms sign carry more weight than others.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Most commercial general liabilty policies cover use of force to protect persons and property. Yes the business may be " gun shy" but if your alive, your co workers are alive, and the bad guy is dead it would be a PR nightmare if they fired the employee! I agree a business may not want their employees armed because of the unknown responsibilities or lack thereof.  I dont ask our employees that way i am not ever put in a difficult position regarding the CC issue. I do support CC and carry more than not except in fed buildings and schools.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The decal has a clear background. You have to be really looking for it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#22]
My BIL works at the best buy corporate headquarters.  While on a tour I asked why they had metal detectors at all the entrances.  His response : "we pretty much didn't have a choice since people can carry concealed guns in Minnesota now".

He is an awesome guy but liberal to the core.  Makes me facepalm from time to time.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
... Lives in Illinois

FAIL

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Not uncommon for businesses to not allow concealed carry for their employees. Usually has to due to liability reasons.   Friend here works for Fry's.  He told me that while Fry's follows all state laws in regards to lawful carry of a firearm, their employees are not allowed to carry a firearm on or off the clock.  So basically if you are in Fry's and are an employee of the company, you are forbiden the right to lawfully carry a firearm on company property at risk of loosing your job.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Not uncommon for businesses to not allow concealed carry for their employees. Usually has to due to liability reasons.   Friend here works for Fry's.  He told me that while Fry's follows all state laws in regards to lawful carry of a firearm, their employees are not allowed to carry a firearm on or off the clock.  So basically if you are in Fry's and are an employee of the company, you are forbiden the right to lawfully carry a firearm on company property at risk of loosing your job.
View Quote
I assume you mean while in the store?

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, as an employee for Fry's you cannot carry in the store, on or off the clock.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Also found this out as well.  He believes that since Fry's is owned by Kroger, the same rules apply for Kroger employees as well.  He was not 100% certain on this but is seems reasonable to believe that the same holds true for Kroger employees as well as Fry's employees.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#28]
If a private establishment wants to prohibit it whether it's their employees or their customers, it's their right and you'd be pretty crazy to think that's a bad thing for them to be able to choose. Just like you have your own rights in regards to your own private property why should they not be given the same freedoms?

If you disagree with their desires to prohibit such, then vote with your wallet or employment. That's the beauty of a free market.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Per office policy I can't carry in the office or my personal vehicle during business hours. I'm torn because I work in a filed where I'm exposed to some nut job angry people (sometimes with guns)  and aggressive dogs. As of now I got my benchmade Stryker and two things of pepper spray. It is really going to piss me if one day I need it and can't have it, of course provided I'm still alive. Fortunately for me or these guys who have been doing this for 20 years has never needed it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Per office policy I can't carry in the office or my personal vehicle during business hours. I'm torn because I work in a filed where I'm exposed to some nut job angry people (sometimes with guns)  and aggressive dogs. As of now I got my benchmade Stryker and two things of pepper spray. It is really going to piss me if one day I need it and can't have it, of course provided I'm still alive. Fortunately for me or these guys who have been doing this for 20 years has never needed it.
View Quote

Any metal detectors ?

Are you willing to figure out a way to carry where concealed is really concealed ?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I probably work at the only gun store (small chain) in the country that disallows employees from carrying openly or concealed. I've thought about carrying anyway, I just got promoted to a manager training position and have a P238 in the back. Should be able to pocket carry that one discreetly
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I've carried at jobs that do not allow carry, I used a small Kahr CM9 or LCP in the front or rear pocket.  I also was prepared to loose my job had they found out somehow, I figured only way they would know would be if I had to use it to defend my life, in which, I would gladly give up the job.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sometimes working for a small outfit has its advantages.  I carry everyday at work. In the office and customer sites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

everyone of my employees ( all women) are CCW holders and carry daily.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It all boils down to liability. Businesses do not want their employees to take action fearing lawsuits.
View Quote

It's more related to work place violence issues then reacting to robbery.  If a employer allows employees to carry weapons, then in a fit of rage someone hurts their boss or coworkers then they will be held liable. They dont have control over customers but they do control employees. You don't have to like it but that's the way it is.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Very common. I used to work retail... the store mgr, LP guy, 2 other employees, and myself all had CHP's but didn't dare carry at work since it was against policy. Unfortunately policy is made well above the store level.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I work in AZ which , I am sure many know , is a pro-gun state. That being said , my company has  a "no firearms" policy in our employee handbook but nothing on the doors. Although we rarely get actual customers coming through the door , I do not see how anyone would even know.

I carry all the time every where I go , no exceptions ( minus the actual "illegal places" schools and such) and simply ignore any sings I see that say " no weapons". Since I carry concealed all the time , and wear bigger t shirts , I would much rather get a trespassing ticket , or fine ,than not be prepared for something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top