Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2014 10:57:59 PM EDT
forwarding this on(not mine lol)

thread from NYF

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/87174-permit-application-asking-facebook-password-2.html

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#2]
"NONE" and "N/A"
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't that violate Facebook's TOS, causing the account to be locked/deleted?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"NONE" and "N/A"
View Quote

Yeah. What about weirdos like me that aren't on Facebook?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#5]
It's for "Public Safety". Seems legit
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"NONE" and "N/A"

Wow! You are a weirdo!

So am I.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:35:52 AM EDT
[#7]
i don't have a FB either but even the request for such information...not even for a carry permit, this is to just own a pistol... pisses me the fuck off.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:06:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

i don't have a FB either but even the request for such information...not even for a carry permit, this is to just own a pistol... pisses me the fuck off.
View Quote

And indeed it should. I have NO regrets on leaving there and thee in '07. I may have stopped in Matamoras PA, to put a preban buttstock on my postban AR, on the way out.  

BTW, when you get an acc't, you can FB me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rusty-Shackleford-Dale-Gribble/227843817235671

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#9]
That is some serious BS, not just no, hell no.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:33:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#11]
WOW.........
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:24:07 AM EDT
[#12]
If that's legitimate that's the most asinine thing I've seen as a license requirement.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

And it should. It's none of their g-d business.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"NONE" and "N/A"
View Quote

Isn't lying on the form a crime?

I'm not on Facebook but this should be unconstitutional to ask (but he'll the whole concept of a permit to carry is unconstitutional).
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Put your facebook name as MYOFB and list your password as *********.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Feeling like a Firemission?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10205221171191745&id=181621495465
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Hit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#19]
on ttag

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/10/robert-farago/watervliet-new-york-asks-pistol-permit-applicants-facebook-password/
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"NONE" and "N/A"
View Quote

I don't have facebook
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Next Facebook post after application submitted

"Attention to all family, friends and general acquaintances of myself, I have been deliberating over the pain and sorrow of having to live behind the this facad. But I shall announce to everyone.

I am a homosexual"

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I've heard that this is common for LE applicants when applying. In the vast majority of states it takes a NICS check to get a handgun, love how in bizarro land NY they treat it like getting a security clearance or gaining access to nukes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I myself I do not have a Facebook, twitter, Myspace etc.  account nor do I plan to anytime soon. If that is a requirement, Then they can KMA. Yet one more reason to NOT bless that state with my presence. Yeah I'm sure they are weeping at the loss of my money.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I've heard that this is common for LE applicants when applying. In the vast majority of states it takes a NICS check to get a handgun, love how in bizarro land NY they treat it like getting a security clearance or gaining access to nukes.
View Quote
It was starting to be common until the cities starting getting sued by Facebook because it violates their TOS agreement and a federal law (irony, considering many PD's were ignorant to the law and didn't care about breaking it)

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I live in Rensselaer county which is next to albany.  We have a very reasonable judge and pistol clerk however just across the Hudson River is albany county and they treat you like a criminal if you want a pistol permit.  Every county gets to make up their own rules.  Hey, it's only your first and second amendment rights being violated just get over it, no big deal.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

It was starting to be common until the cities starting getting sued by Facebook because it violates their TOS agreement and a federal law (irony, considering many PD's were ignorant to the law and didn't care about breaking it)  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who would haul them in for breaking the law? The NYSP? The Feds? You'd have better luck getting the NJSP to serve that arrest warrant.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#27]
The courts have given LE agencies a smack down from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#28]
For example DanJ???
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
There was a pistol permit holder down here on LI whose wife committed suicide with his pistol. His licencing agency (a PD) suspended his permit cause they said he didn't safeguard his pistol as she wasn't a permit holder. He sued, won, and they gave him his permit back.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Fair enough DanJ that is an example.  However do you have any first amendment examples like the Facebook issue?  Or it could be a privacy issue, maybe I'm not sure I'm not a lawyer.  I'm not busting your balls but if you read my permit it says on the back "can be revoked at any time"......sounds more like a privelage and if they don't respect heller I don't expect them to respect any of my other perceived rights.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Should have taken a stand when they forced a permit, now NY is on what they call the slope, and its slippery.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
forwarding this on(not mine lol)

<a href="http://s995.photobucket.com/user/jmosulli7/media/permit1_zps31739bf0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af75/jmosulli7/permit1_zps31739bf0.jpg</a>

thread from NYF

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/87174-permit-application-asking-facebook-password-2.html

View Quote

I'd say bring it to the attention of the local media.  
might be interesting to see how the public reacts to this

ETA:  I just read about it on http://www.prisonplanet.com/police-dept-requests-facebook-password-from-gun-permit-applicant.html
Not sure this excuse is any better...

The department recently sent an applicant a form which asked for his Facebook username and password, and after the applicant complained, the department claimed the form was sent to him by mistake and was only used during face-to-face interviews when the department asks applicants for access to their Facebook accounts.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Wow! You are a weirdo!
So am I.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"NONE" and "N/A"

Wow! You are a weirdo!
So am I.

Me 3

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Updtae for you guys...this is on actual new stations now and the Cheifs story has changed, they deliberaltly includeed the form and now he is saying it was removed.....i fucking hate this process in NY

http://albany.twcnews.com/content/news/779408/controversy-surrounds-pistol-permit-application-asking-for-facebook-information/

This is to just OWN A FUCKING PISTOL.  In my county here i have to wait 2 years...2 FUCKING YEARS to have an appoitment to turn my paperwork in...

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:Updtae for you guys...this is on actual new stations now and the Cheifs story has changed, they deliberaltly includeed the form and now he is saying it was removed.....i fucking hate this process in NY

http://albany.twcnews.com/content/news/779408/controversy-surrounds-pistol-permit-application-asking-for-facebook-information/

This is to just OWN A FUCKING PISTOL.  In my county here i have to wait 2 years...2 FUCKING YEARS to have an appoitment to turn my paperwork in...

View Quote

That's denial of a Constitutional Right by obstruction.  What fucked Chicago and DC can fuck your sheriff.  Do it - and post the video on You Tube.  Legal orgys are within their terms of service.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who would haul them in for breaking the law? The NYSP? The Feds? You'd have better luck getting the NJSP to serve that arrest warrant.
I believe it end up on the federal side on some level of the courts, but probably more of a civil suit than criminal.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/23/tech/social-media/facebook-employers/index.html

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#37]
What an interesting official response on that FB page...
City of Watervliet Police: Mr. Dobbs, that form was erroneously included in the package we provide for pistol permits. It is an internal form that we utilize during interviews and should not have been included in the package. It has since been removed. It is, however, a common practice to view social media as a means to identify and determine character of a pistol permit applicant, in addition to other investigatory methods. We apologize for the confusion
View Quote

Common practice?

Internal form for interviews?? So... interviews for police positions?  Do cops need a "permit"?  Or personal interview of the peasant daring to want a pistol, and they expect him to provide that?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top