Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 9:26:37 PM EDT
Hi Guys!

My mother is in her 70's. She travels at times to visit her sisters, etc.

She has a CCW license but would never carry a gun on her. She will however carry it in the vehicle. The problem is at times she has my little 7 year old nephew with her.

Can anyone recommend a carry (in the vehicle only) method that would secure her pistol from the child while still giving her rapid access?

I think if I can find something that she will be more comfortable with carrying her gun in the car.

Its a good idea anytime but after what just occurred in Oklahoma, its becoming more prudent.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Locked glove box.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure her car has a lock on the glove box.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
what car does she drive? and does she have the center console?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes it does but a kid can open it. Any advice?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes it does but a kid can open it. Any advice?
View Quote

Yeah teach the kid not to go for it. Both my kids (7 and 4) know not to touch any firearm unless 1.) I am around 2.) they ask me 3.) I give them permission to do so.

I have my truck gun in my Tacoma. My gun is also holster. I like how the tacomas have the side open center console. It makes it easy for the driver to open and not have the door get in the way because the door opens towards passenger side. Also help being more discreet than other methods. Now in the near future I want a holster like a Blackhawk or a Safariland ALS holster screwed in on the side allowing for a secure fit yet easy access to unholster. Problem is I haven't tried that so I don't know how it will work but seems to be plenty of room to do something like this.

But the biggest piece of advice is get the kid to know about gun safety. Most of the kid shootings in the US are caused by parents hiding the firearm from the kid, kid finds it when parents are home thinks its a toy/curious how it works and shoots [insert incident here]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest a hand gun lock box just big enough to hold her handgun and a spare magazine. Like this one from GunVault She can take the gun out when driving and keep it close to her then lock it up when with children or stopping and leaving car.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks! That is what I think that I will get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top