Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2014 8:32:22 PM EDT
My wife is a lefty. Her right arm was amputated so she is looking for realistic carry options for a BACKUP* GUN. She is comfortable using, loading, and manipulating revolvers. She cannot reliably load, mag release, slide release, cock, etc semi-auto pistols.

She actually likes the Taurus PT-25 (semi-auto .25 ACP). It is a break action semi-auto, so instead of racking the slide, she can push a button and mash the barrel back down and it is cocked. All the other controls and ergonomics actually are sympatico and she really likes this gun. Another plus for this is the fact that it is smooth with nothing to catch on as she yanks it out of her bra. I hate it because of cheapo Taurus and .25 ACP spitball.

She also fired a Glock 42 (.380 ACP). She loved the non-existent recoil. But it suffers from the semi-auto slide that she cannot manipulate, has plenty of surfaces to snag on, etc.

So any suggestions?

* She will be using Chiappa Rhino .357 Mag as her primary sidearm (but carrying .38SPL +P ammo) due to the reduced muzzle flip for 1 hand shooting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered a double barreled Derringer style pistol? I know that it is super limited in capacity, but it is small and simple.
Beretta Bobcat is available in .22LR (same concept as the Taurus that she likes). IIRC there was also a Beretta Cheetah in .380 that had a tip up barrel, but I think they are uncommon/out of production.

ETA. Beretta also still produces the Tomcat tip up barrel in .32acp
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
With a sturdy belt and good rear sights, slide manipulations are easy one handed.

I've seen lots of videos on Youtube teaching how to manipulate a weapon one handed with your non dominant hand.

With practice, any semi auto would function fine for her.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking with a slide rack tool like used in IPSC for optic equipped pistols the options are wide open.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With a sturdy belt and good rear sights, slide manipulations are easy one handed.

I've seen lots of videos on Youtube teaching how to manipulate a weapon one handed with your non dominant hand.

View Quote

Or grasp the slide with your knees and push grip forward. I prefer the front of the slide (1911) against a counter or other object that keeps the muzzle away from my legs.
However, OP stated that she wanted something snag free system, and most CCW sights are no good for belt cocking. While these methods work in emergencies, I would not recommend having to use the belt/knees for every single time you needed to load/unload the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Or grasp the slide with your knees and push grip forward. I prefer the front of the slide (1911) against a counter or other object that keeps the muzzle away from my legs.
However, OP stated that she wanted something snag free system, and most CCW sights are no good for belt cocking. While these methods work in emergencies, I would not recommend having to use the belt/knees for every single time you needed to load/unload the firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading comprehension fail on my part.

I'd recommend another revolver. S&W j-frame.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
a Beretta with a tip up barrel would be my choice as a back up a ...m950 in .25acp/22short, or M21A in .22lr... the M950 is single action and can be thumb cocked pretty easily and the 21 is SA/DA

M21A top center.... M950 (.25) bottom center

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I know a local fellow whose wife only has one hand. She shoots a Bersa Thunder .380 very well, I'm told. No problems with the slide. I don't know how she manipulates the slide, but she's tried a bunch of other pistols and always comes back to the Bersa.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]
With a little practice you can rack the slide of a Glock on a belt or the heal of a shoe one handed.   Better option is to just go with a high capacity semi auto and a .38 snubbie on the ankle for a NY reload if it comes down to that.   I'm a Glock guy but something like a Bersa Thunder 380 plus with 15 + 1 is worth 1.5 reloads with a Glock 42.

I wouldn't worry too much about the reload if you've got the right carry gun.   My G19 with no reloads is worth my Ruger LCR .38 and two speed strips.   And the reality is my chances of pulling off a reload with a speed strip under stress is less than 5% anyway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not an amputee but my left (dominant) hand was wrapped up in a huge brace for a few months following an accident a couple of years ago.  I got very good at using my rear sight as a means to rack the slide, either on my belt or else a table edge or other sturdy thing.  Make sure you get a squared-off rear sight (I have these, as long as you don't have the melted, sloping kind meant to avoid snagging it'll work).

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not an amputee but my left (dominant) hand was wrapped up in a huge brace for a few months following an accident a couple of years ago.  I got very good at using my rear sight as a means to rack the slide, either on my belt or else a table edge or other sturdy thing.  Make sure you get a squared-off rear sight (I have these, as long as you don't have the melted, sloping kind meant to avoid snagging it'll work).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prior to having my left hand broken at work I carried a chopped down 6 shot Kahr CW9, after surgery and a hard cast I switched to carrying a M&P compact, almost 2x much ammo without a reload. I ended up selling the Kahr and carry the compact 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#11]
What about the browning BDA .380?
Aren't they like a 13 shot tip up barrel .380? To big for a back up? Theming would second the Tomcat or maybe even a Double Tap in 9mm
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going with this also. I would sacrifice the capability of your weapon when the issue can be remedied with training. If you are dead set on not going with a conventional semi, I would also recommend investing in a Jframe. The air weight models can easily be carried on the ankle or elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm going with this also. I would sacrifice the capability of your weapon when the issue can be remedied with training. If you are dead set on not going with a conventional semi, I would also recommend investing in a Jframe. The air weight models can easily be carried on the ankle or elsewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have an Airweight in .38SPL. It is a 5 shot and I think it's a 1" barrel. It is small and lightweight, but it is a pain in da ass to shoot. Recoil is unbearable, hence the Rhino option for her.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#14]
22 mag J frame?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#15]
OP,

If recoil is unbearable for your J frame for her, have you considered different grips?  CTC laser grips would work amazing for a one hand shooter better control and keeping those few shots on target.  My normal pocket gun is a Smith 442 Pro (has the option to use full moon clips of .38 SPL).  You might also look for one of the Smith Centennials in either .327 Fed or .32 H&R, they give six shots instead of the five of the .38.

Again I'll vote looking at the Beretta Tomcat.  Just slightly larger then the Beretta 21A and about the same size as the Taurus .25 but in a better cartridge.  I used to have both of the Beretta's and never had any issues with them.  Good luck in your wife's search.

CD
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I would have to suggest a 38 revolver.  Should be the easiest thing for her to use.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Isn't there a .380 with a tip barrel berretta, WAY more power than a .25, and you can find ammo for it.
model 86 cheetah.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Isn't there a .380 with a tip barrel berretta, WAY more power than a .25, and you can find ammo for it.
model 86 cheetah.
View Quote

Yes, 86 was a single stack with tip up barrel.  Its a medium frame like the 84 so not a true hideout.

CD
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
22 mag J frame?
View Quote

Yes. I would really like for her to get a 22mag revolver, but who knows when we will be able to get ammo for it. There is nothing around here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would have to suggest a 38 revolver.  Should be the easiest thing for her to use.  
View Quote

Yes a 38 revolver will be her primary carry. She wants something small and ultra deep carry for a backup.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes. I would really like for her to get a 22mag revolver, but who knows when we will be able to get ammo for it. There is nothing around here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
22 mag J frame?

.22mag is out there, pretty common here however .22mag is like .30/round . I sold my .22mag bolt action and just shoot .223 for ground squirrels these days.

Link to in stock 22mag
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd go .380 Glock and learn how to manipulate it with one hand.

As mentioned previously the rear sight can be used to assist slide - lock issues. All it takes is training. I'd argue its more efficient then a revolver.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:19:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Since we are talking about a backup FOR a revolver I also am going to suggest another revolver.

Possibly one of those plastic framed Rugers,  the frame flexes a bit which spreads out the recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Forgot to mention Taurus does have that new 85 View (5 shot .38 SPL) out weighing in at 9 oz, 1" bbl, snag free and clear lexan sideplate.  If realiable might make a good backup piece for her.  

CD
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, definitely. A "New York reload" would be hard to beat, given her condition.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Well folks she purchased a Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP.

Thank you all for your contributions. She has been following this thread and I am elated she ditched the Taurus PT-25!

To those who say manipulating a slide and semi-auto is possible, yes it is, at the range. But do I want my wife, my mother bear, defending our two cubs with fine and delicate motor skills, by trying to hook the rear sight on something, or squeezing it between her knees? Hell no. Every millisecond counts, and when your adrenaline is pumping, trying to snag the rear sight on your shoe, or belt, or holster, etc isn't going to cut it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Since no one else posted it:

On a more serious note - this might be helpful:

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slide-hardware/slide-rackers/slide-racker-for-glock--prod42165.aspx

They're very easy to install on Glocks.  There are ones available for 1911s that fit in the rear slide dovetail, I believe, and I think someone here makes one for the Ruger .22"LR pistol.

And while I know how much ARFCOM hates purse carry, depending on how large her purse is, there's this:

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:01:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Since no one else posted it:

http://cdn.mos.totalfilm.com/images/c/cherry-darling-s-leg-gun-planet-terror-_146971-fli_1382400071.jpg

On a more serious note - this might be helpful:

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slide-hardware/slide-rackers/slide-racker-for-glock--prod42165.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_100005827_1.jpg

They're very easy to install on Glocks.  There are ones available for 1911s that fit in the rear slide dovetail, I believe, and I think someone here makes one for the Ruger .22"LR pistol.

And while I know how much ARFCOM hates purse carry, depending on how large her purse is, there's this:

https://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/proshop/product/SB15-Detail.jpg
View Quote

I like your style! That AR might be a tad big for a bra gun though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well folks she purchased a Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP.

Thank you all for your contributions. She has been following this thread and I am elated she ditched the Taurus PT-25!

To those who say manipulating a slide and semi-auto is possible, yes it is, at the range. But do I want my wife, my mother bear, defending our two cubs with fine and delicate motor skills, by trying to hook the rear sight on something, or squeezing it between her knees? Hell no. Every millisecond counts, and when your adrenaline is pumping, trying to snag the rear sight on your shoe, or belt, or holster, etc isn't going to cut it.
View Quote

I'm sure she'll enjoy the Tomcat as the manual of arms is the same as her PT-25.  I hope she never has to use it for the intend use however.

CD
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I would try a pistol with sights you can use to rack the slide or get a Beretta Bobcat or Tomcat. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Look into the Ruger LC9 with the XS sights. The rear sight is huge and could easily hook on a belt for cocking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top