Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2014 11:26:17 AM EDT
Well?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I've never used the 5 stitch but as a daily wearer of Ares I don't feel the need to look at other options and I feel the price is justified by the performance. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

The new Aegis is very nice also.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Not for me.  I sold mine and went back to the Wilderness 1.5" 5 stitch for daily wear.

The Ares belt is definitely well made but the Cobra buckle is huge and it was much easier to thread the Wilderness belt through holsters, mag carriers and belt loops.  

For my conceal carry needs the simplicity and lower profile buckle on the Wilderness 5 stitch belt works best...

I think the Ares belt would work better for a first line setup where you will not be installing and removing stuff on it on daily basis.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I run a Volund Atlas belt with a cobra buckle and love it. I sold off both of my Wilderness CSM belts in favor of the Atlas belt. The cobra buckle can be a bit of a pain to thread through belt loops (you need to remove the male end), but when it's on it's great. Easy and quick adjustments and if my gut is feeling a lil crimped when sitting I can just unclip the buckle and it stays at the set tension when I re-clip it in when I get up.

I think the Atlas is a little less stiff than the Ares though, however it keeps my G26 in nice and tight with a Raven Phantom with pancake wings and also is great for IWB because it does have a bit of flex when you sit down giving your jiggly bits some extra room.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Ares with the cobra buckle and I really like it. Yes, the cobra buckle can be a pain as it slows you down when getting dressed but it is now second nature for me so I no longer feel the extra couple moments.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll sell you mine and you can find out!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't know. My $25 Uncle Mikes belt is still in good shape after 21/2 years of daily wear.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know about 2x better but they are 2x's stiffer, and my wife tells me stiffer is better!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't like my Ares Ranger belt. It pulls away from the center of my back because it's trying to keep it's round shape. I'm currently looking Wilderness as well.

ETA: I ordered a cobra belt from Volund Gearworks. I'm told their a little more flexible.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everybody. Unfortunately, I spent my remaining gun fund wad on a Colt Detective Special, so I will be sticking with my crappy leather belt for a while.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why don't you like it?

Quoted:
I don't like my Ares Ranger belt. It pulls away from the center of my back because it's trying to keep it's round shape. I'm currently looking Wilderness as well.

ETA: I ordered a cobra belt from Volund Gearworks. I'm told their a little more flexible.

hmmm good to know. I'll look at them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks everybody. Unfortunately, I spent my remaining gun fund wad on a Colt Detective Special, so I will be sticking with my crappy leather belt for a while.

Why don't you like it?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you like it?

Quoted:

It's great, just want $$$ to buy one of those $80 BCG's from AIM Surplus!

The buckle sticks out farther than a 5.11 or Uncle Mike's belt, so that I don't like.  But it is very durable and comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm very happy with my Aegis belt.  I looked at the ones with the cobra buckle, but the aegis is very easy to put on and take off without having to undo any belt buckles.  I wear mine almost every day as part of my EDC stuff.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm very happy with my Aegis belt.  I looked at the ones with the cobra buckle, but the aegis is very easy to put on and take off without having to undo any belt buckles.  I wear mine almost every day as part of my EDC stuff.
View Quote

This - I have 2 of them.  They are not as stiff as the Ranger belt and they will actually conform to your body.  I bought the enhanced ranger as I figured that 2 AR mags running 220gr subs + pistol mags would ne need the extra stiffness to deal with the weight...  It literally took a good 20 minute upper body workout to get my gear on; and no matter how tight I pulled it, there were still gaps in the back.  Then there is the issue of if the Ranger belt is too large or you lose weight, the tail can dig into your side as you wear it.

The Aegis solved all those issues for me.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the Aegis also.  I wouldn't change a thing about it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

After about 4 months of wear mine had conformed to my body's shape.  When I'm not wearing it it holds kind of an oval shape, with a flat spot where my back would be.

I have both a Ranger and an Aegis belt.  I love them, a lot stiffer than my 5.11 instructor belt I had before.  The buckles are a bit big, but with a looser shirt I wear when carrying you can't see it anyway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes. I have both. The Ranger is better
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an Ares with the cobra buckle and I really like it. Yes, the cobra buckle can be a pain as it slows you down when getting dressed but it is now second nature for me so I no longer feel the extra couple moments.
View Quote

This for me as well. I love mine and wear it even when I'm not carrying (school) because its so comfortable. As others have said YMMV
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want stiffer over more flexible, then they are better. I actually like Volund Gearworks' g-hook belt the best of all my belts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#19]
My wilderness 5 stitch is going into it's 3rd year now of daily use. It's definetly not as stiff as day one but still more than adequate for owb and iwb carry of my g21

Wear and tear wise it's looks almost brand new besides some wear marks on the metal buckle. I think it is the perfect balance of stiffness and flexibility for a daily use gun belt but wouldn't min an ares fI I was doing many shooting/training classes. Whenever people ask wtf I need a belt like this for I explain how it is a rock climbing belt
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Any of you in the larger of the belt sizes.  I've been wearing a "gun show special" riggers belt for a couple years.  It works for simplicity, but marginal comfort when IWB CCW.

I'm also interested in maximum adjustment for weight gain and loss.  As well as clothing variation/layers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Any of you in the larger of the belt sizes.  I've been wearing a "gun show special" riggers belt for a couple years.  It works for simplicity, but marginal comfort when IWB CCW.

I'm also interested in maximum adjustment for weight gain and loss.  As well as clothing variation/layers.
View Quote
Wilderness has their easy fit.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have the Aegis also.  I wouldn't change a thing about it.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:05:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I really like my Ranger belt. I carry my P239 appendix everyday, I never have to adjust my belt, pull up my pants or even think about my belt or gun. I would like to try out the Aegis belt, but my Ranger is nowhere close to being worn out so I can't convince myself to spend another 100$
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#25]
SOE low profile is built just like an Ares, two layers plus a wrap around velcro, however they use a G-hook instead of a Cobra buckle. Super stiff. You don't have to take the buckle off the run it through belt loops. Adjustable. You can rotate the belt while you are wearing it to get the fastener out of the way. Great for appendix carry. The belt lies perfectly flat...no thick buckle pressing into your flesh when you sit down. Lots of colors available. Worth looking at. Some reviews on you tube...low profile SOE belt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I would take a Wilderness belt over it any day.

matter of fact I wouldn't even take ares ranger belt if given to me free
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My wilderness 5 stitch is going into it's 3rd year now of daily use. It's definetly not as stiff as day one but still more than adequate for owb and iwb carry of my g21

Wear and tear wise it's looks almost brand new besides some wear marks on the metal buckle. I think it is the perfect balance of stiffness and flexibility for a daily use gun belt but wouldn't min an ares fI I was doing many shooting/training classes. Whenever people ask wtf I need a belt like this for I explain how it is a rock climbing belt
View Quote

Bought 5stitch in 1999  I had to retire it because Im getting fatter and order a new one in 2012.  34W to a 38W

Anyway I wore the 5stitch without the insert everyday at work and at play I wore IWB and OWB M5905 M6906 P229 and carried mag holders as well.

The belt is the SAME stiffness as it was in 1999!

I like it because its fast and easy to put on and I can cinch it tight Unlike other belts . Plus they are cheap.

My new 2012 5 stitch belt is the same stiffness as well>

I really have a hard time with guys saying that there belt loss its stiffness especially when they say they have a wilderness instructor belt with the insert.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I love my ares ranger belt. Takes a bit more to thread on in the morning but works great. Some accessory clips are too small to work well with it , but mag pouches and such seem to work well enough.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#29]
yup
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I have an ares gear ranger belt that i have had for a little over a year, and also a wilderness 5 stitch that i have had for 5-6 years. Hands down, the ranger is a better belt. I wear mine every day. The wilderness belt feels limp in comparison.  I still wear it every once in a while and it is a decent belt. But it doesnt hold a candle to the ranger when it comes to packing a firearm. Yes, the ranger is that good.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks everybody. I think I'm going to with the Atlas belt based on the price, materials and buckle choices over the Ares. Now if they would just open up the orders again!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had Wilderness 5-stitch belts for what seems like forever. Bought an Ares Ranger a couple years ago based on its high recommendations. Still have it but went back to the Wilderness fairly quickly for its simplicity of on/off and I found it more comfortable. I use the Ranger in a war belt setup instead.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I have the 5 stitch and just got my CSM yesterday.

The CSM holds a 1911 + 2 reloads perfectly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top