Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Triggers on the Ruger LCP and LC9 are ATROCIOUS! The pull is all day long.

I love my Shield.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a diamondback db9 that I love.  Its just a little bigger than my lcp and smaller than my xds.  Only downside to it in my eyes is it hurts to shoot.  Pretty snappy recoil and with large hands you might get slide bite.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
My PF9 works flawlessly.  It's an unfancy gun, but it's the size of a PPK and fires a real cartridge, rather than the .380, which contrary to popular marketing claims, is proven unreliable in stopping attacks.  Of course, a gun like this is a pocket piece; if one is going to use a holster, there will be a still more potent cartridge being dispensed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My PF9 works flawlessly.  It's an unfancy gun, but it's the size of a PPK and fires a real cartridge, rather than the .380, which contrary to popular marketing claims, is proven unreliable in stopping attacks.  Of course, a gun like this is a pocket piece; if one is going to use a holster, there will be a still more potent cartridge being dispensed.
View Quote

And contrary to what people on the internet claim, stats say the .380 is effective. Unless your argument is all handguns are unreliable and you'd be better carrying a long gun...  Sorry but you made the claim.

Beretta Nano
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And contrary to what people on the internet claim, stats say the .380 is effective. Unless your argument is all handguns are unreliable and you'd be better carrying a long gun...  Sorry but you made the claim.

Beretta Nano
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beretta Nano

Got to love those stats. From your link -

Average number of rounds until incapacitation -

.380 ACP - 1.76
44 Magnum - 1.71

% actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) -

.380 ACP - 62%
.44 Magnum - 53%

It appears we've been fighting recoil needlessly for decades...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Got to love those stats. From your link -

Average number of rounds until incapacitation -

.380 ACP - 1.76
44 Magnum - 1.71

% actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) -

.380 ACP - 62%
.44 Magnum - 53%

It appears we've been fighting recoil needlessly for decades...
View Quote

Don't tell the moros.    Yes, all handgun rounds suck compared to rifle rounds.  44MAG sucks less than 45ACP sucks less than 9MM sucks less than 380 - any way you stack it up.  The rest is just hand waiving to justify what folks are doing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a Glock guy and I often carry a Shield. I had a PM9 and regret getting rid of it, it was even smaller and shot very well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Kahr.

Love mine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#9]
You can't go wrong with the Shield. I have about 500 to 600 rounds down the pipe with 0 failures. The gun will be well under your budget so you can spend more on a quality belt and holster. You may be able to squeeze in a set of night sights too. As you probably know you can get the shield with or w/o the thumb safety. That is a personal choice only you can make. I carry IWB and actually prefer the safety. Holstering IWB always concerned me without a safety. There was a learning curve after shooting Glocks for 15+ years but now I don't even think about it, as I draw the safety goes off.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought a Kahr K9 years ago for summer carry and love it. Not the lightest you can get but fits my hand perfectly and has been completely reliable after about 200 rounds of break in.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#11]
For my deep carry 9mm, it's the Kahr CM9

If an even smaller and lighter pistol, such as a .380 is required, it's the Colt pocketlite

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm looking for a pocket pistol. I tried out three this morning:
(These were rental guns, so there were no after market grips or magazine extensions.)
M&P 380 - Horrible trigger. It felt toy-like compared to the Kahrs. I had multiple light primer strikes and failures of the slide to lock back. I did not particularly enjoy shooting it.
Kahr P380 - Nice trigger. I started off pulling left, but it shot fine after adjusting my trigger finger. Recoil was less than the M&P. I enjoyed shooting it.
Kaher PM9 - Nice trigger. Small grip, but otherwise felt similar to shooting mid-size 9mms. I didn't enjoy shooting it as the magazine pinched or scraped my pinky finger when firing (with grips and extension I think I would rather like it). Just holding it at the range, it seemed a bit too large and heavy for pocket carry.
Right now I'm leaning towards the P380 with the addition of a .357 LCR in a jacket pocket for the winter.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I am a Glock fanboy so I suggest a G42. And purchase the 9mm when it is intruduced at the 2015 SHOT show.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Spend a little more and get the Sig P938
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have an LC9.  The plastic guide rod broke early on, and I replaced it with a SS one.  The recoil is so brutal with the non-progressive spring that it left my hand shaking uncontrollably after a few mags.  A heavier spring helped a lot with that, and the new hammer, transfer bar, and other assorted parts from Galloway made made the trigger pull and reset decent enough for me to finally get multiple hits on paper.  I got a Hogue grip sleeve to put on it, which made the handle big enough to hang on to, which was good.  So, a couple hundred bucks after I bought it, it's finally a useful pistol.  Now, maybe 1000 rounds in, the slide is so loose, if I sent it back, I'm sure Ruger would just send me a new gun.  Trouble is, I either have to put all of the old parts back in it, or start over.  I'm afraid to fire it, and I won't sell someone else a POS like that.   So, it sits in the safe.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm looking to get a single stack 9mm or .380 small pistol for CCW. So far I have looked at the G42, LC9, S&W Body Guard, and LCP. I'd like the option to add night sights, but it is not a requirement. My budget is $600 max. Am I missing anything? Options from those who own them currently or have owned them?  

Of what you listed i would pick the LC9. I don't like 380 due to lack of power and availability and cost of ammo. All that being said, I got rid of my LC9 and got a shield since its striker fired like a glock, which I use for work and competition. IMO the thin-ness of the shield also makes it a great choice- I prefer a long thin gun for CCW over short and fat. YMMV.

I have an LC9.  The plastic guide rod broke early on, and I replaced it with a SS one.  The recoil is so brutal with the non-progressive spring that it left my hand shaking uncontrollably after a few mags.  A heavier spring helped a lot with that, and the new hammer, transfer bar, and other assorted parts from Galloway made made the trigger pull and reset decent enough for me to finally get multiple hits on paper.  I got a Hogue grip sleeve to put on it, which made the handle big enough to hang on to, which was good.  So, a couple hundred bucks after I bought it, it's finally a useful pistol.  Now, maybe 1000 rounds in, the slide is so loose, if I sent it back, I'm sure Ruger would just send me a new gun.  Trouble is, I either have to put all of the old parts back in it, or start over.  I'm afraid to fire it, and I won't sell someone else a POS like that.   So, it sits in the safe.  

This gun laughs at your "brutal recoiling" LC9.

Seriously, OP just get a Kahr K9. The best of all worlds. Light enough to be carried and heavy enough to avoid the "Brutal" recoil of the new plastic 9s. It has a grip to die for.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#16]
kahr cm9. I carry a little bit of everything from glock 23,19,26,36, s&w bodyguard 38 special and a kel tec 380 and the list goes on. I find myself almost always carrying my kahr cm9 since I got it. shoots great and I don't even know its there. I carry in the 1 o' clock position and I ride sport bikes and it doesn't even bother me then. you can find them pretty cheap. if I remember right I got mine new with a 2nd mag and box of ammo for under 400
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a diamondback db9 that I love.  Its just a little bigger than my lcp and smaller than my xds.  Only downside to it in my eyes is it hurts to shoot.  Pretty snappy recoil and with large hands you might get slide bite.
View Quote

I love my DB9, as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#18]
My "always on me" handgun is still my kel tec 3AT w/ crimson trace carried in a cheap uncle mikes pocket holster.
It's usually backing up something a bit more potent, but even in the dog days of summer it's a breeze to conceal where a larger handgun would stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm still tempted to buy a shield or a kahr 9mm, but seeing as how the 3AT only does solo service those few times I can't carry a G19 I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top