Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2014 11:23:28 AM EDT
I'm looking to get a single stack 9mm or .380 small pistol for CCW. So far I have looked at the G42, LC9, S&W Body Guard, and LCP. I'd like the option to add night sights, but it is not a requirement. My budget is $600 max. Am I missing anything? Options from those who own them currently or have owned them?

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Appendix or pocket carry?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a fan of kahr pistols. The cw9 is what I own I like it a lot. The cm9 is the smaller pocket version. I paid 350 for mine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#3]
The alternate to my LW Commander is my Bersa Thunder 380.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Kahr CM9 is a great gun for under $400 if you shop around.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at the M&P Shield, too. It's almost the same size as the Kahr, and has a stack-and-half mag, which gets you an extra round.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Look at the M&P Shield, too. It's almost the same size as the Kahr, and has a stack-and-half mag, which gets you an extra round.
View Quote

I've looked at them. but I don't think I am gaining that much in size difference over my XD40SC. The grip is thinner, but the length is almost dead on.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Sig p938. Best concealed carry I've ever had. And if you look hard enough you can get it fir 5-550$. Get the extended mag, some ammo and a holster. You met the budget.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've looked at them. but I don't think I am gaining that much in size difference over my XD40SC. The grip is thinner, but the length is almost dead on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually have both.  You may be right about the length.  I've never compared them, but the M&P is significantly thinner and lighter.  I've given up carrying the XD.  Another option to consider is the .40 Shield.  That's what I carry.  The stack-and-a-half gives you the same round count in .40 as 9mm's the same size.  The recoil is much les than you would think.  I have a Ruger LC9 that is much worse (and it's a piece of shit).
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I actually have both.  You may be right about the length.  I've never compared them, but the M&P is significantly thinner and lighter.  I've given up carrying the XD.  Another option to consider is the .40 Shield.  That's what I carry.  The stack-and-a-half gives you the same round count in .40 as 9mm's the same size.  The recoil is much les than you would think.  I have a Ruger LC9 that is much worse (and it's a piece of shit).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just went to the LGS on my lunch and finger fucked a M&P Shield. I liked it. I may end up going that route.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Taurus TCP 738 .380cal "C" series I have one and it is outstanding. Fits with like zero printing in evrything from a pair of gym trunk to a suit jacket pocket. That way you got a great cc pistol and you keep $400.00 in your pocket.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]
XDS with Powder river spring kit rules.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Springfield XDs 9mm

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Taurus TCP 738 .380cal "C" series I have one and it is outstanding. Fits with like zero printing in evrything from a pair of gym trunk to a suit jacket pocket. That way you got a great cc pistol and you keep $400.00 in your pocket.
View Quote

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.  I have a PT-99, bought in 1989, that I will never part with.  I bought a 706 slim, and a .357 (669?) recently.  I got a brand new 706 from them to sell when the frame split in half on the one I had, and the wheel gun went back to them 3 times before I could sell it in good conscience.  They only make junk, now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just went to the LGS on my lunch and finger fucked a M&P Shield. I liked it. I may end up going that route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You won't be disappointed.  I bought an IWB holster and mag carrier from Wright Leather Works that I'm very pleased with.  For the mag carrier, a single stack .45 carrier fits well.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm looking to get a single stack 9mm or .380 small pistol for CCW. So far I have looked at the G42, LC9, S&W Body Guard, and LCP. I'd like the option to add night sights, but it is not a requirement. My budget is $600 max. Am I missing anything? Options from those who own them currently or have owned them?  
View Quote

Of what you listed i would pick the LC9. I don't like 380 due to lack of power and availability and cost of ammo. All that being said, I got rid of my LC9 and got a shield since its striker fired like a glock, which I use for work and competition. IMO the thin-ness of the shield also makes it a great choice- I prefer a long thin gun for CCW over short and fat. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Of what you listed i would pick the LC9. I don't like 380 due to lack of power and availability and cost of ammo. All that being said, I got rid of my LC9 and got a shield since its striker fired like a glock, which I use for work and competition. IMO the thin-ness of the shield also makes it a great choice- I prefer a long thin gun for CCW over short and fat. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an LC9.  The plastic guide rod broke early on, and I replaced it with a SS one.  The recoil is so brutal with the non-progressive spring that it left my hand shaking uncontrollably after a few mags.  A heavier spring helped a lot with that, and the new hammer, transfer bar, and other assorted parts from Galloway made made the trigger pull and reset decent enough for me to finally get multiple hits on paper.  I got a Hogue grip sleeve to put on it, which made the handle big enough to hang on to, which was good.  So, a couple hundred bucks after I bought it, it's finally a useful pistol.  Now, maybe 1000 rounds in, the slide is so loose, if I sent it back, I'm sure Ruger would just send me a new gun.  Trouble is, I either have to put all of the old parts back in it, or start over.  I'm afraid to fire it, and I won't sell someone else a POS like that.   So, it sits in the safe.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Kahr CM9 is a great gun for under $400 if you shop around.
View Quote

And Kahr CW380

FWIW I love my PM9
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]
XDS...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Get both: Kahr CM9 in 9mm and Kahr CW380 in .380.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#21]
For 'micro' size pistols, I like (and have) LCP and CM9's.

{edit - copied from the 'favorite subcompact 9mm' thread}:

This was part of my decision-making process when looking for a micro-replacement for the G26's I'd used for years. (That's why the G26 was in a different color - they'd been my 'small' 9mm's for years and so it was my baseline for comparison.) The G42 comparisons were added after the fact, whenever it was released some time back.

This was in excel, and the numbers in red were my completely subjective breakpoints for various dimensions on the 9mm models. Less than 5.5" in length, less than 1" in width, 4" or less in height, and under 1LB in weight - those were the settings. (My formula apparently wasn't functional throughout the whole thing though; the Kimber Solo's height should have been highlighted in red, but wasn't.) The CM9 and PM9 were the only ones that had all dimensions (and weight) at or below those admittedly-subjective parameters. Looks like it was set up intentionally skewed to favor the Kahr, but it wasn't. I'd never owned a Kahr before looking at these numbers grouped together like this, but based on the numbers I bought a CM9. I liked it so well that a couple months later, I bought another CM9, and when Christmas rolled around last year, I bought one of my sons a CM9 to replace his makarov ccw pistol.

I'd really been leaning toward the Kimber solo initially, but being more than a quarter-inch thicker (and MUCH more expensive at the time) made it much less attractive to me personally as a pocket-pistol option.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought a S&W Shield awhile back & love that little thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#23]
recoil, size and weight were my considerations.

p238 was what I got.
little bigger than the lcp.
way reduced recoil.
weight is around 17 oz as well.
got mine with laser and night sights for 499.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Sig P232 gets my vote for a .380
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Full Disclosure - I'm a Glock guy.  I bought a M&P Shield a few months back.  It is a fantastic little gun.  Until Glock makes a single stack 9mm, it is the Shield for me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Sig p938. Best concealed carry I've ever had. And if you look hard enough you can get it fir 5-550$. Get the extended mag, some ammo and a holster. You met the budget.
View Quote

This.  I've tried a bunch, and the P938 is here to stay.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I inherited a S&W Bodyguard, and really like it.

Very small and thin.

Accurate and reliable.

Handy built in laser.

Nice set up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glock 42 is the best small pistol I have ever owned or shot. Real sights, good trigger, slide lock. Mags that drop free and accurate as hell. Plus the price is right. For 600 bucks you can get the gun, a couple of spare mags a holster and some ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Sig 938 gets my vote, a great shooting pistol. The only down side is it's all metal so if you're pocket carrying its a little heavier than some. But this adds to the shootability of the gun, recoil isn't as bad as the lighter weight small pistols.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Full Disclosure - I'm a Glock guy.  I bought a M&P Shield a few months back.  It is a fantastic little gun.  Until Glock makes a single stack 9mm, it is the Shield for me.
View Quote

That's good to know. I'm a Glock guy also, so I am really looking into the shield.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm a Glock guy - and i love my 9mm Shield.

I don't use the safety so for me it operates and feels basically same as the Glock - no issues with any ammo i've fed it, decent enough trigger.

Think its the 9 Glock should be making.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

It shouldn't weigh as much as a G26....
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I gotta go with my 3913.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I gotta go with my 3913.
View Quote

I have one I wear every day. But it's not a small pistol even if it does carry better than any Glock I've tried.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Here you go, OP.  Maybe this will help.

.40XD Subcompact - PM9
.40 M&P Shield - LC9

XD - Shield - PM9 - LC9

LC9 - PM9 - Shield - XD

ETA: Hogue grip thing on PM9, and LC9
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#36]
The PM9 is my wife's EDC, and a fine pistol.  (She is fine, too, but no pics)  The only negative thing I can say about it is that the mags are made out of very thin metal, and the ears are very flimsy.  The spring pressure splays the ears out, and it's very easy for the top round to pop out of a spare mag.  I've even cut my thumb loading one.  Also, a member here posted a pic of more than one with the weld down the back of the mag split.  I've not seen that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#37]
S&W Shield
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm a Glock guy - and i love my 9mm Shield.

I don't use the safety so for me it operates and feels basically same as the Glock - no issues with any ammo i've fed it, decent enough trigger.

Think its the 9 Glock should be making.
View Quote

Agree.  I got a Shield without the stupid manual safety.  It is a nice shooting little pistol.  Very thin and concealable.  I added Meprolight NS and called it a day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:44:23 PM EDT
[#39]
If you don't mind not being able to pocket carry, the non-safety Shield is great (though I consider the Apex kit AND trigger to be necessary).  I just found I had to dress around the gun because it was kinda big and heavy (unlike all those folks who carry full size or g34s 24/7, I can only carry a gun if I don't really notice it's there).

My pick, having owned and carried every gun I saw mentioned in this thread (except the Springfield and Bodyguard) is the G42 (with a magguts +1 in the carry mag, and a +2 extended mag as a backup).  Then carry a G19 or something with 9mm or bigger (and 15+ capacity) on the rare occasions you are going into a risky environment.  

If SA only, carrying cocked and locked, doesn't bug you, the 938 is fine (but a 2nd mag is like $40 on top of a $600 gun--I'd want the +1 mag).  I was raised on glocks, so hitting a safety just isn't natural to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Walther PPS
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of kahr pistols. The cw9 is what I own I like it a lot. The cm9 is the smaller pocket version. I paid 350 for mine.
View Quote

I got my wife a CW9 she loves it... I like the P7M8 also..
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#42]
I like my Shield.

My wife has a Sig 938.  Comes with nightsights and we got it for $630.  It's really easy to shoot well, and smaller than my Shield, though not by much.  I would carry it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:51:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I have owned the P3AT and and BG380, and handled the Ruger 380, I would take the SIG 238 over any one of them any day, its simply a better pistol. However had the 938 been around when I got my 238, it would have won I think. Also I am a HUGE fan of thumb safeties and single action, my first firearm period was a 1911, so that style does resonate with me. I will say the BG380 was a great pistol, I just found the 238 to shoot better for me, and it felt better in my hand. Of the pistols that have the "P3AT style" operating system, the BG380 is the better pistol by far.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Walther PPS
View Quote

+1

Buds has them for around $520.  Fantastic gun.  reliable, surprisingly accurate, choice of 6/7/8 round mags.  Narrow (0.9").
Did I mention surprisingly accurate?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I just bought a Glock 42 last night.  Did a lot of study, watched a good bit of uTube, etc.  
Handguns are personal, it all boiled down to this.
I already own a G26 as my primary carry piece, but I wanted something for pocket carry in the summertime.

The G42 and G26 are similar in important ways:
1) same sights
2) same trigger
3) same controls, slide stop, mag release, etc.
4) same take down
5) same caliber (.355 dia. bullet), although granted, less powerful cartridge
6) very similar overall feel even though the G42 is much slimmer than the G26
7) I can use the same grip if I want to use two hands with the G42

This means that everything important stays the same in terms of practice and training.  The only variable is the location of the pistol on my person.

And I haven't been that impressed with the competition that I have had the opportunity to try.  I tested out a Kahr .380 a friend offered me at the firing range....it stove piped on the second shot.  And my Beretta Tomcat is useless with it's shitty aluminum frame (that cracks from the stress of shooting if I shoot it!!....second replacement from Beretta).

And my G26 has over two thousand rounds through it and it has never malfunctioned, so I have confidence in Glock (until proven otherwise).

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This for me, too.

I own a G19 for range & house (and zombies) and a G42 for jogging, but the Shield is my every day carry. I got one without the manual safety so the manual of arms would be more consistent with the Glock. It is a very accurate pistol for its size.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I have some interest in this discussion

Currently rocking a Walther PPS and very happy with it but options aren't a bad thing.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#48]
xds. never thought i would buy one until i picked up a .45 the other night.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Sig 938
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like my Sig P290RS

The image seems to have been shrunk.  If someone wants the excel file, I will be happy to send it.  Send me a PM with an email I can send it to.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top