Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2014 11:09:55 PM EDT
Currently carrying an H&K p2000sk and p30 Aiwb.  However I really want a single stack 9mm to carry OWB for long car trips.  I dont care for my M&P shield or any of the other single stack 9mms,  Im somewhat hesitant as Ive always questioned the reliability of 1911 style pistols.  I cannot find many high round count reports on this gun, and feel as though I should wait for a single stack glock, but cannot decide
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
1911 guy here.  They are fine in the reliability dept. if you maintain them and break them in.  buying quality also helps.

for 1911's its pretty well known that 5'' (government) is the most reliable, 4.25'' is next (commander) and anything shorter, reliability starts to take a hit (most cases).  Ed brown doesn't make a gun less than 4.25 for this reason.  I personally would try to find a Commander size 9mm 1911 w/ a bobtail.  

Dan Wesson makes some nice 1911's for not much more than an EMP, and if you got the $$$ Wilson Combat makes killer Compacts , like the ultra carry sentinel. link
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1911 guy here.  They are fine in the reliability dept. if you maintain them and break them in.  buying quality also helps.

for 1911's its pretty well known that 5'' (government) is the most reliable, 4.25'' is next (commander) and anything shorter, reliability starts to take a hit (most cases).  Ed brown doesn't make a gun less than 4.25 for this reason.  I personally would try to find a Commander size 9mm 1911 w/ a bobtail.  

Dan Wesson makes some nice 1911's for not much more than an EMP, and if you got the $$$ Wilson Combat makes killer Compacts , like the ultra carry sentinel. link
View Quote

That may be with the .45s, but what about a gun that was designed around the 9mm cartridge. SA designed the gun around the 9mm round. It is proportional to the 1911 frame. Although you can still used some parts from a regular 1911. Trust me it works.

OP, Don't get the .40 S&W. With their all steel frame, they are heavy SOBs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
My father has one, I have shot about 300rds through it

(Pros) They are very nice, typical Springfield fit and finish with a nice trigger, very accurate.

(Cons) For the size the pistol is insanely heavy, in my opinion too heavy. Take down is typical to a 1911 of this size, its a PITA  and requires a tool, but again thats to be expected

I would rather have a Commander or Officer size 1911 in 45acp myself, but thats just me

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The Sig 938 is a small 1911 pattern 9mm.  It might be smaller than you were looking for though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The EMP is not a scaled down 1911 nor is it a 1911 "modified" to be a 9mm. Inspired by the 1911 is more like it, it was designed from the ground up as a 9mm 3'' gun. They are well made, I've been carrying mine for a few weeks, not a long time, I am a new CCWer so take my opinion for what its worth.

From a reliability stand point, they seem to need a break in. My first time out with it, it was a single shot essentially (though it worked for my friend). Needless to say I was pissed that my new expensive CCW gun didn't work right. So I lubed the slide rails, stripped the slide and spend two night dry cycling the action. It never gave me a problem again, not even with HPs. I'd consider it reliable enough after proper break in.

Considering it is 3'', single stack, 9mm, and an alloy frame, one would think it is made to be a CCW gun yet Springfield only makes mags with extended baseplates. Don't know who came up with that idea. I sent two mags to a guy on 1911forum.com and he cut the baseplates off and welded new ones on that sit flush with the bottom of the grip. Best upgrade to this gun one can do IMO.

Even so, for me (body type) and where I live and how I dress, it is still a bit on the big side. Heavier than I'd prefer as well. Also because of the value, I won't leave it in the car in case someone breaks in and if I am unlucky enough to have to shoot someone LE may just take the gun for evidence. Therefore I am more interested in a smaller, lighter, less expensive gun. I am presently looking into four others: Kahr P380, MP Shield, Beretta Cheetah, and/or a small revolver. If I can find a killer deal, maybe even try a Bersa Thunder. One on me, one car gun. If it weren't so pricey a small Sig may be a good way to go.

That being said, it has a lot of great features. Night sights, cocked and locked carry, thinner than a doublestack, soft shooting, good trigger, comes with a nice case and lots of mags. Holsters and grips are easy to find.

Good luck man, hope that helped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top