Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2014 9:47:23 AM EDT
I find myself carrying my Bulgarian Makarov daily in the winter compared to the summer. In the summer I always have it with me, just not on my side which makes me a bit nervous.

How do you deal with carrying in the summer?

The two main problems I seem to be facing are:
1: Printing in a T-shirt
2: No cloth "buffer zone" between sidearm and skin

FWIW I carry 3oclock IWB right side, slight fwd cant.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as printing isn't considered brandishing in your state, don't worry about it.  87% of people don't spend even a second each day wondering if anyone is carrying a gun. Nobody will notice.  As far as cloth buffer, I always wear white undershirts under everything, including t-shirts.  This partly to make the t-shirts stay cleaner and last longer, but I also tuck in the white one so it's between the horse hide and the spare tire.

ETA:  M&P9c in summer, M&P9 in winter, same Crossbreed Supertuck around 3:30.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Under Armor
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#3]
938 in my pocket.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on your state laws, I wouldn't worry about printing. Most people are to self absorbed to notice. To help put your mind at ease, see if you can spot some one printing in public. As part of that exercise, see if you can discern the difference between all the various things people wear on their belts and covered in some way.
In TX, nothing in the law says you can't print. It just says you can't intentionally expose and printing doesn't count.

Suggestions for comfort.
Holster design continues to evolve and there are good choices that eliminate the skin to gun contact completely. IE: The Crossbreed Super Tuck.
Wear a thin tank top undershirt inside you gun.
Hawaiian shirts and "camp shirts" that are straight cut along the bottom might work well since they tend to have a baggy fit. I found that some T-shirts have different side cuts which makes printing worse. I usually don't wear them as much in the summer.

What ever you do, take it to the range and practice with it. Learn to clear your clothing quickly and cleanly. It should become second nature.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Off-body carry in a man purse.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#6]
All good tips, thanks guys.

I've been carrying for a few years now and have tried a few different holsters, however money is obviously a factor here.

I was wearing undershirts with my t-shirt every day but found that I was obviously hotter with them on during the summer, something I think I'll just have to get over.

Have practiced clearing clothes away on a few occasions and feel confident I could do this in a "shit just got real" situation. Reloads are a different story and need to be practiced.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry a G19 year round here in NC, just use a good hybrid style IWB holster and it'll disappear under a tshirt

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear fairly snug shirts, im 5'7 175lbs w/ a muscular build, I carry a Govt. 1911 IWB in a Milt sparks VMII or Nexus w/ most of my wardrobe.  If the shirt is to tight and printing or if its a light color (dark colors conceal better) I switch to either a G30 IWB in a MTAC or a kahr CM9 IWB w/ a Kydex holster.

normal summer clothes are cargo shorts w/ T-shirts (under armour or Rogue) and Button ups (western like Wrangler, Cinch, etc.)

I normally do not wear a undershirt bc its too hot in TX, I just wipe the gun down before I go to bed with a light coat of CLP or a Silicone Rag.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I appendix carry with a leather/kydex hybrid with zero cant, belt slots, and a loopbelt.  Worn over the underwear.

Then put on whatever pants/shorts/sweats I want to wear.

No clips or loops showing.  No belly, so the M&P 9c disappears with or without a tucked shirt.

No sagging, flopping, or needing multiple 'gun belts' for different situations.

Same set up all year round.

Formal and casual situations alike.

When wearing a fitted suit, I use a custom 3Speed holster with either the Shield or J-Frame.  All three guns (M&P9c,Shield, J-Frame) fit just fine in the same holster.
The gun does ride lower with this set up compared to my leather/kydex set up.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Kahr pm9 pocket carry.  Or g26 in a hybrid.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a G19 year round in Eastern NC. Crossbreed holster works well year round. Shorts and a T shirt are usually not a problem, just need to find a longer shirt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#12]
MTac g27

Works with everything.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Getting a lot of millage out of this picture today.

What do I carry in summer? Same as in winter.

Carried at 2:30o'clock with Liger gunbelt.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#14]
My carry style stays the same year around.  Glock 19 in a AIWB with a reload.  T-shirts shorts, no problem, all conceals the same.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
IWB like the others have said

everything from full sized 1911's and M&P's to shields

I like the Milt sparks summer special II, the blade-tech nano, and the hybrid like "Storz" posted.

Makarov is a clunky heavy gun with a small cartridge

Have you ever looked at the tiny 380's ?
Like the P3AT or Ruger

Sometime I carry a 380 or S&W 642 in a front pocket nemesis holster

PS-  Don't fuck around with a cheap walmart belt.  Spend some money on a SOLID belt
designed for CCW.

I like the Blade-Tech looper
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Wife beater undershirt
JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster
Glock 19

Above all of those was losing 30 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#17]
G26 AIWB with a vanguard 2.   Winter time I'll still carry the 26 but probably go back to my Mtac, but who knows.  I really dig my current set up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#18]
M&P9C IWB year round, barely prints. Printing is not an issue here anyways.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#19]
glock 19. works fine for me. i just dont wear anything skin tight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Pocket carry is the way to go for me.

Every "summertime" carry piece I've ever owned had to pass the "test": fit comfortably inside my right front short's pocket
without a belt to hold it up. If it didn't fit in my pocket or was heavy enough to drag my shorts down, it didn't get considered.

I've had several Bersa .380's as well as a Ruger LCP before I lost what little faith I had in the .380 round. They all passed the test,
though.

Now I go with a snubbie .38+p and am very happy. It's alloy and SS, of course, to guard against rust.

I wear khaki short and various t-shirts and sleeveless t-shirts all summer long (unless I'm in church, of course) and I'll make
that "firepower" compromise all day long to insure I'm toting. I am confidant of my ability to prevail with my five-shot wheel gun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:37:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Nothing changes. Glock 23 in a Working Dog hybrid year round with zero issues

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#22]
LCR in a hybrid Foxx holster, leather on skin doesn't bother me, in the NC heat it gets soaked though so it might be hard on a plain steel gun, only problem I have is the tackiness of the grip doesn't let the shirt fall back down after being seated, easily averted by tucking an undershirt over the gun if I need to concern myself. Pocket carry is also a viable option if I'm wearing loose enough pants/shorts.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I rate the effectiveness of the caliber and gun far above concealment in the priority list, so pocket guns are out.  The pockets of my jeans aren't big enough anyway.

If I can't reliably put a serious caliber bullet on a target across a restaurant or similar sized space, then it has no place in my safety plan.  So for me, the minimum caliber is going to be 9mm from at least a 3" barrel.  I rarely carry the 9mm though, and instead carry my XDs in .45acp (smallest), a commander sized 1911 in .45acp, or the 10mm S&W 1076 (largest).  Printing is LAST on the list, not only because open carry is lawful here, but because any handgun is already a compromise, to further compromise with a mouse-gun is unacceptable.  

Think about it; if you live where OC isn't legal or accepted, and you carried a 1911 in a pouch on your belt, and the pouch was shaped just like the gun inside, is it concealed?  

Yes, by law it is concealed and you should never get any grief from anyone.  The police cannot legally detain you merely because you have a nylon pouch on your belt that's shaped like a gun- it doesn't necessarily mean you have a gun in that pouch.  If they did detain you and search, only to find your car keys in there, you'd be looking at a serious out of court settlement from the city or state.  (Of course if they stop you and ask to see what's in the pouch and you show them voluntarily- that's a different story.  Grow a pair and learn to say no.)

OP: I like your user name.  I've experienced a few (too many) of those on the ground and in the air.  I find them somewhat disconcerting.

EDIT to add: Since we're putting up pictures, here's my 1911 and its new Lobo Gunleather holster for open and concealed carry.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Similar setup to louisanarebel. The Minotaur here is new and will require a little breaking in, but it works with jeans, shorts and t-shirts most of the time. I worried about printing all the time when I first started carrying, not so much anymore. It is not noticeable unless I bend certain ways and I avoid those movements, becomes almost second nature when I had carried this type of rig for a while. The Minotaur gives a good separation of the pistol to my body. Only thing I might do at some point is put some moleskin on the back, but I have not found a need for it yet.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#25]

deSantis Intruder Hybrid ... Blade-Tech Nano... Blade-Tech Nano
Milt Sparks Summer Special II ...deSantis Nemisis ...Bianchi Pocket holster
Blade-tech Looper Kydex reinforced leather belt.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I have some shirt like this on and milt Spark Summer special holster. I carry a Sig 239, I could and did carry up to a full sized 1911. Every just assumes I know nothing, I get left alone and people never know I am carrying.

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I find myself carrying my Bulgarian Makarov daily in the winter compared to the summer. In the summer I always have it with me, just not on my side which makes me a bit nervous.

View Quote

I moved to SWF and wear cargo shorts and Tshirts 98% of the time

Wrangler Cargo Shorts have lots of pockets and lite colored  Tshirts are cooler.

I carry a HK P30S with TLR-1 light   I carry IWB at 3PM using  a JM custom made holster. 1 spare mag using wilderness horizontal mag holder and wilderness 5 stitch belt.
I also carry a S&W M642 in my left front . also carry a speed strip and sometimes a HKS loader  both filled with ranger bonded 130gr
2 lights= Nitecore SRT 5  & P2X Defender Fury
2 knives Kiss & Socom Elite
wallet/cell phone

Its real s easy to do. I even go bowling carrying all the above stuff.

My P30 is slightly  higher in height than my P229 . So I have to wear 1 size larger. Large to XL
Plus 3PM is hard to pull off using a Straight Drop IWB and a tall pistol

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a Desantis hybrid for my Shield but didn't care for it. I did not care for the leather against my skin and it's too hot to wear a T-shirt under another shirt.  Bought an El Paso Saddlery C-Force holster I like much better.  The offset belt loop makes it very comfortable even for appendix carry. Lately I've been carrying the C-force/Shield in my jeans pocket.  It works out quite well and don't need a larger T-shirt.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Summer, winter, all year round. M&P full size.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Kahr PM9 on the waist or in a pocket or M&P 340 same way.  

If need be I will go to a G23 IWB
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I can carry my Shield IWB appendix in a minimal Kydex holster under just a t-shirt, including a spare mag on the other side, and you'd have a difficult time telling that I'm carrying (I've tested this with people who know I carry).

It can be done, just depends on the holster and/or the pistol.

ETA: I carry next to bare skin. Doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I carry a shield in a cheap small of back clip-on holster. Slightly larger than normal shirt, un tucked.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#33]
g19 year round. Gets pretty sweaty in the summer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:36:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Most of the time I can carry my LW Commander IWB.

When it gets too damned hot I carry my Bersa.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#35]
My usual method is a S&W 640, in a Glaco leather front pocket holster.

Not at all visible with cargo style shorts, or in dress jeans.

Easy to get to.

Doesn't dig into your back like a IWB does when you sit down.

And in very dodgy situations, you can have your hand on the grip without looking like you're set to draw.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
i carry both a glock 36 plus spare mag and an LCP summer and winter. get a good belt, and wear a buttoned up short sleeve shirt. the hipster stores sell really thin patterned ones that are really cool in summer but hide just about anything (yes i shop at hipster stores, camouflage). the length of your pant leg doesn't matter at that point.

looks like allot of people carry bigger shit and have already posted. good material here
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I carry a Sig Pro 2022 all year round. Jeans, shorts, polo shirts, t-shirts, jackets. Never had an issue. I use a hybrid holster which puts a good piece of leather in contact with my skin. The grip can rub a little bit if I move around a lot (squirm in the seat of my car or on the couch). But I'm not so bothered with it. A good holster and belt (just switched to a Wilderness 5 stitch kydex lined) will solve the majority of your problems. I've also noticed that the majority of people around aren't actively trying to find the gun on someone. They see a bump under your shirt and they think it's a phone (or pager, or colostomy bag, or insulin pump). Anything but a gun. Even the hardcore anti-gun people don't know*. So basically, don't over think it. Do a quick check in the mirror and if nothing glaring sticks out, you'll be fine.

*I was visiting my wife at Starbucks where she works when the lady in front of me was mouthing of about how great it was that Starbucks didn't allow guns in the stores anymore (which in reality is a non-enforceable policy that they put in place to make soccer moms feel good, the employees are instructed to never confront a person with a firearm and to treat them like a regular customer). I just smiled and kissed my wife with my Sig Pro on my hip the whole time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Similar setup to louisanarebel. The Minotaur here is new and will require a little breaking in, but it works with jeans, shorts and t-shirts most of the time. I worried about printing all the time when I first started carrying, not so much anymore. It is not noticeable unless I bend certain ways and I avoid those movements, becomes almost second nature when I had carried this type of rig for a while. The Minotaur gives a good separation of the pistol to my body. Only thing I might do at some point is put some moleskin on the back, but I have not found a need for it yet.

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae267/wile_coyote2/p2000InMinotaur_zpsfc95b90a.jpg
View Quote

Same holster but with a G26. No problem carrying with a t-shirt. After a while you train yourself to squat, not bend over and reach for something up high with your off hand. Probably the most comfortable iwb holster I have found also.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I carry the same thing in summer and winter. That would be an HK45c. As long as you aren't the overly tight cloths kind of guy you can get away with carrying a decent size weapon iwb in shorts and T-shirt weather (btw, it's pretty warm where I live). At least that has been my experience. Also, it is nice to have a "buffer," but I don't have one more often than not.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Living in south florida it's a t shirt and shorts every day. I carry a glock 19 without much issue appendix or at 5:00 in a basic kydex holster. If I'm working in board shorts I carry a 26 or a .38 special in a remora up front. I just bought an xds in .45 tonight to replace the 26. Like most people will tell you, no one notices any printing. People are too busy caught up in their own issues and, for the most part, are clueless to their surroundings. Occasionally I'll carry my P30 in a comp tac mtac, great holster and conceals very well, but my guns are on and off 4 or 5 times a day, a single clip kydex holster is much easier to work with than the pancake style, also less to get sweaty. I'm 5'7" and pretty stocky. Hope this helped.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#41]
South Florida; P220 Carry Equinox in a horsehide Super Tuck, every day, year round, usually under a tee shirt and shorts.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Shorts and fishing shirt untucked.
Prints a little but no one notices and I don't go around thinking about it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks everyone for weighing in on this topic.

Although I've been carrying for a few years now, I think I just worry about printing too much. Honestly the only people that might notice (unless its completely visible) would be those that I would be proud to see it, IE other CCW holders.

That being said, I would like to sell my Mak and pick up a 2022. That looks to be a sweet gun for an even sweeter price.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#44]
XDs 9 in Nate Squared professional. The suede feels so good against the skin. Super comfy!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I have the larger holsters but find that I don't like them. They move, they're bulky, and I don't like the way the clips sometimes ride over the double thick belt after I squat down or move around.

I found that at I really like the Bianchi Model 100.  I have one for my G23, G30S, LC9, and 642.  They're light, small, and easy to live with in the summer wearing shorts.  Shirts have been addressed...looser, darker, and print patterns are better.  I use suspenders under the tshirt or button-up shirt sometimes, though I don't always.

I no longer care about printing.  I'm sure I have but it has not been related to me.  I have a bald head and a long beard to draw their eyes, along with my manly aura to stun them...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#46]
this gets carried 90% of the time in the Texas Summer months.  I generally wear Cargo shorts and a snug t-shirt, like UA or Rogue Fitness.  Im 5'7 175lbs w/a muscular build, I wear a XL t-shirt that is tight in the shoulders/chest, but loose around the waist, hides everything very well.

If I wear a Large shirt or will be doing activities that require a lot of bending over I will carry a Kahr CM9 or SW 642.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#47]
The best thing I have found in hot weather when wearing shorts is pocket carry; G42 in a DeSantis Nemesis.

I wear Cabela's 7 Pocket Shorts.  The Nemesis is a perfect fit in the front pocket with its squared off "cargo pocket" type cut.  And the front pocket also has a small, separate, exterior flap pocket which completely obscures printing.  And the pocket opening is large enough to allow a decent (not perfect) draw, unlike jeans pockets which are too tight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top