Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 8:50:16 AM EDT
I am thinking about trying one of these out. The price isn't bad and from what I've seen, the holster looks like a quality piece of gear. I have been using a Crossbreed "style" holster (leather backing with kydex shell) and I just haven't been able to get comfortable with it.

I am thinking about using the INCOG for AIWB carry.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The INCOG body is a quality made product that I really like in theory. It has a couple of downfalls though which make it a no-go in my opinion:

The canted clips are a great idea for tucking the grip, they just don't work that well. You can't force a clip to beat physics, the holster needs to have a tuck feature built in to the body IMO ala JM Custom Kydex for larger guns. Also, due to design, if someone puts their hands on the grip of the gun and pushes straight down, the holster can rather easily rotate 180 degrees leaving the clips semi-attached to the belt and the muzzle pointing back at the carrier.

This summer I took Shivworks/Southnarc's ECQC class for the first time. I know "Well in ECQC..." sometimes feels like a cult-like response to some questions, but it was an eye opener about what and how I carry. Of the 16 students in the class I would say half of them had tried the INCOG and none were currently using it. I also know up to a certain point Craig mentioned an INCOG had never survived an ECQC class. Meaning as soon as any physicality was introduced beyond drawing and shooting the gun, the holsters were failing in some way.

This is why I am a big fan of durable holsters (which the body of the INCOG is) and very sturdy belt attachments like webbing snap loops or fixed loops (which the INCOG does not have).

Good marketing and spokespeople sell a lot of bad gear. I don't think the INCOG is a piece of crap, but I think it could be improved upon greatly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The INCOG body is a quality made product that I really like in theory. It has a couple of downfalls though which make it a no-go in my opinion:

The canted clips are a great idea for tucking the grip, they just don't work that well. You can't force a clip to beat physics, the holster needs to have a tuck feature built in to the body IMO ala JM Custom Kydex for larger guns. Also, due to design, if someone puts their hands on the grip of the gun and pushes straight down, the holster can rather easily rotate 180 degrees leaving the clips semi-attached to the belt and the muzzle pointing back at the carrier.

This summer I took Shivworks/Southnarc's ECQC class for the first time. I know "Well in ECQC..." sometimes feels like a cult-like response to some questions, but it was an eye opener about what and how I carry. Of the 16 students in the class I would say half of them had tried the INCOG and none were currently using it. I also know up to a certain point Craig mentioned an INCOG had never survived an ECQC class. Meaning as soon as any physicality was introduced beyond drawing and shooting the gun, the holsters were failing in some way.

This is why I am a big fan of durable holsters (which the body of the INCOG is) and very sturdy belt attachments like webbing snap loops or fixed loops (which the INCOG does not have).

Good marketing and spokespeople sell a lot of bad gear. I don't think the INCOG is a piece of crap, but I think it could be improved upon greatly.
View Quote

What about adding some snap loops to the INCOG?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Doable I suppose, but by the time you are in to it for that money I'd be looking at a JM Custom Kydex AIWB or something with the features I like for an AIWB holster (including extra length to hold the muzzle away from my body). There is a 20 page thread on pistol-forum discussing user experiences.

What gun are you carrying?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree that the clips don't do anything to get the gun tucked in tighter to you. I prefer a Dale Fricke Archangel for AIWB as it has a built in wedge.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I agree that the clips don't do anything to get the gun tucked in tighter to you. I prefer a Dale Fricke Archangel for AIWB as it has a built in wedge.

<a href="http://s214.photobucket.com/user/Krankypants/media/33C38F81-2ECE-4CEF-94CE-E7DEBDE2C43A_zpsz8f4xlhg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Krankypants/33C38F81-2ECE-4CEF-94CE-E7DEBDE2C43A_zpsz8f4xlhg.jpg</a>
View Quote

I would love a zero cant IWB holster that I could adjust to a very low ride>

The only problem is when I try to lower the ride the clip gets in the way of my trigger finger

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Doable I suppose, but by the time you are in to it for that money I'd be looking at a JM Custom Kydex AIWB or something with the features I like for an AIWB holster (including extra length to hold the muzzle away from my body). There is a 20 page thread on pistol-forum discussing user experiences.

What gun are you carrying?
View Quote
The incog is the coolest holster out there.  That's about it.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thinking about trying the Raven ACR now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thinking about trying the Raven ACR now.
View Quote

Some people really like the ACR, some people hate it,  I would definitely suggest grabbing a VG2 if you carry a glock or MP, the VG2 is my preferred mode of carry.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the INCOG daily with my G19, I find it very easy to conceal and carry. It works great for me. I took the front clip off and it stays put with just the one for me. A well fit sturdy belt is pretty important. It is very easy just to throw on and off with little effort. I'm not using to run and gun so I would agree its not going to hold up as well under those conditions, I do not believe it is meant to. For AIWB easy average joe carry I think it works great.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one that I sold along with my g19. Loved it and got one for my shield. I use it with the mag caddie and have no problems with concealment. Not sure how it would hold up under run and gun but it looks and feels sturdy to me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not sure how it would hold up under run and gun but it looks and feels sturdy to me.
View Quote

I took a class with mine, and it worked fine.  Hot gun from high volume shooting + AIWB can get a little uncomfortable, though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought an INCOG thinking it could be my new carry rig. Well built, very solid construction but has some shortcomings.

As noted the clips are a weakness. They never really feel *solid* when I move. Despite using a Liger gunbelt the holster never really feels planted on me. My Raven phantom with Crossbreed metal clips is far more stable by comparison.

I carry about 2:30o'clock, forward of the hip but not all the way at the front. With the mag caddy attached, the little hump where it is joined to the holster digs directly into my leg. That's more the result of my physical build and carry style so I can't fault the holster, however, the practical result is I don't use the INCOG as much.

Overall it's a wellbuilt holster and I like the concept. The thicker plastic gives me far greater confidence in the longevity of the holster over regular kydex. Holsters are a very personal item, what works for me might not work for another human on earth. I give it a thumbs up in terms of "give it a try" but for me personally I think it's not quite there yet. I hope they tweak the design some and continue to make it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I like my INCOG but ran into an issue where the belt clip would rountinely press the large magazine release on my G19 4th Gen. The only comforable position put the clip right over the button (I'm a lefty but prefer the release on the weapon's left side), the slightest pressure on to the clip could drop my mag which happened frequently throughout the day such as getting into and out of a car. I sort of solved the problem by using my 3rd gen 27 instead.

It's a great product but that button issue (which was entirely an end-user issue) kind of turned me away from it.

Even after sort of solving that issue, I went back to my MTac with a USPc.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top