Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 9:01:42 PM EDT
Went to local Exxon/7/11 to fill up at around noon. Always condition yellow at gas stations..too many gas moochers. Two pachucos roll in a beater Honda and park in front. Looked suspicious to me since their caps were pulled down way too low on their heads. BG#2 yells to driver in spanish "keep the car running vato". Condition red in my head. Minute later BG#2 running out of 7/11 with bag of stuff and yells a BG#1 to get out of here. 7/11 mgr and asst come running out yelling. I'm still watching while filling my 4runner up and I start taking pictures from my cell phone of the slow getaway cause they got boxed in by a passing car (Right hand now in right rear pocket on G42...did not pull). BGs roar off.
Mgr yelling. Cops come in 5min and I do the whole witness drill after informing them I have CCL and a weapon in right rear pocket. Said OK and handed me my Dl and CHL back once done. They were surprised I took a pix of the getaway car--text msgd it to them. Zoom in to see the stupified look of the 7/11 mgr...guy in red shirt. Another day an San Antonio. Stay frosty at 7/11s

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Needs moar blading, and you forgot the massive  adrenaline dump.... I give it a B-.

Solid effort
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Rewritten with more awesomeness:

A couple of guys who were up to no good, started makin' trouble in my neighborhood...

Glad you were safe and that you were carrying! Stay safe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:15:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Frosty? It's not Wendy's.

You mean Icee?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:17:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Mspaint. Where the fuck is the mspaint?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#6]
OP - Are you guys required to inform ( CCW ) upon contact with LEO ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP - Are you guys required to inform ( CCW ) upon contact with LEO ?
View Quote

Not anymore, Texas law changed that a few years back. OP probably just trying to be courteous.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#8]
We are still required to present both the CHL and ID, IF asked for identification.  They did away with the fine for not doing so but it is still required under the law.

Common sense dictates notifying the officer when contact is made.  Most cops I've talked to seem to relax a bit when they know they are dealing with a CHL holder.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We are still required to present both the CHL and ID, IF asked for identification.  They did away with the fine for not doing so but it is still required under the law.

Common sense dictates notifying the officer when contact is made.  Most cops I've talked to seem to relax a bit when they know they are dealing with a CHL holder.
View Quote

I was in contact yesterday with an LEO.  He never asked.  I never told.

Everything went as normal as it does with NON-LEO.

There are LEO out there who will disarm you, for their safety, and create unnecessary issues.  Common sense tells me to behave like a responsible and respectful person, and guns becomes irrelevant.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There are LEO out there who will disarm you, for their safety, and create unnecessary issues.  Common sense tells me to behave like a responsible and respectful person, and guns becomes irrelevant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Certainly I don't advertise the fact on just casual contact.  If it is at a crime scene or other official encounters/traffic stop/etc, I think you'd be miles ahead to disclose.  Your call man.

As the law in Texas, it is only required if they ask for ID.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Certainly I don't advertise the fact on just casual contact.  If it is at a crime scene or other official encounters/traffic stop/etc, I think you'd be miles ahead to disclose.  Your call man.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the past 30 years, I have had 99% EXCELLENT encounters with LEO's.

However, because there have been that small percentage of cops who refuse to treat me with the same respect I give them, MY call is to not risk unnecessary issues by making it a NON-issue.

And yes, I have been pulled over while carrying and neither of us bought up guns in any way, shape, or form.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

However, because there have been that small percentage of cops who refuse to treat me with the same respect I give them, MY call is to not risk unnecessary issues by making it a NON-issue.

And yes, I have been pulled over while carrying and neither of us bought up guns in any way, shape, or form.
View Quote

I can understand your view to not create issues where there need not be.

It may be a small point to you being from MO, but in TX it is required to disclose whenever we are asked for ID if you are carrying.  Every traffic stop I've been in the second question is "may I see your license and proof of insurance."  Thus, we disclose.   Otherwise, he finds out when he runs your information and has to wonder why you didn't disclose.  I'd rather not have any confusion at that point.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It may be a small point to you being from MO, but in TX it is required to disclose whenever we are asked for ID if you are carrying.  Every traffic stop I've been in the second question is "may I see your license and proof of insurance."  Thus, we disclose.   Otherwise, he finds out when he runs your information and has to wonder why you didn't disclose.  I'd rather not have any confusion at that point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you asked lawyers and LEO what would happen if you lied about having a gun?

In other words:  If an LEO asked you if you were carrying and you replied...

I'm not carrying right now because I was planning on stopping at the Post Office sometime today and did not want to leave a weapon in the vehicle while I was away.

If you haven't asked this specific question, please ask it to MULTIPLE sources and have them point out where the LAW supports their answers.

Pro Tip #1 :  If you are carrying a gun in a manor that makes it easy to spot for THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR, then you aren't carrying concealed.

Pro Tip #2 :  If you aren't acting in a responsible and respectable manor, then you deserve what you get.  Carrying or not.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I feel like I'm not being clear somehow.  I don't need to ask lawyers or LEOs separately and it quantity.   It really doesn't matter how many say one thing or another.  In Texas, it is black letter law. (attached below)

GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is
carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or
a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license
holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification
certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license.

I have been teaching Texas CHL off and on for 12 years.  When we were certified by the State, we were taught the law by DPS instructors.  Folks are free to choose to obey the law or may choose to ignore it.  Each choice offers consequences good or bad.

Again, this is a Texas requirement that is not necessarily applicable to other states CHL laws.  

Quoted:
Have you asked lawyers and LEO what would happen if you lied about having a gun?

If you haven't asked this specific question, please ask it to MULTIPLE sources and have them point out where the LAW supports their answers.

Pro Tip #1 :  If you are carrying a gun in a manor that makes it easy to spot for THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR, then you aren't carrying concealed.

Pro Tip #2 :  If you aren't acting in a responsible and respectable manor, then you deserve what you get.  Carrying or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not carrying right now because I was planning on stopping at the Post Office sometime today and did not want to leave a weapon in the vehicle while I was away.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#15]

What specific part of town?
Intersection?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#16]
TURABLE, TURABLE.

Agree with post #3.

Needs more blading. More shouting.

"STOP RIGHT THERE ESSAY."
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got stopped for a brakelight out about 20 minutes ago. Couldn't find my current insurance card, and got let off with a warning.

When I got stopped and he asked for my license, registration, and insurance, I handed him my carry permit along with the DL, he never asked if I was carrying, and I had no duty to give him that document.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I feel like I'm not being clear somehow.  I don't need to ask lawyers or LEOs separately and it quantity.   It really doesn't matter how many say one thing or another.  In Texas, it is black letter law. (attached below)

I have been teaching Texas CHL off and on for 12 years.  When we were certified by the State, we were taught the law by DPS instructors.  Folks are free to choose to obey the law or may choose to ignore it.  Each choice offers consequences good or bad.

View Quote

Was clear to me .

I'm lucky I don't have to volunteer to tell . But have told when the  situations called for it.
I've set in the front seat a few times while carrying a Colt 1911 under my Tshirt and the LEO`S never knew a thing

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The current state of the TX disclosure "law" is strange.

Laws are supposed to define something to be done (or not done) and then create a legal penalty for not doing (or doing) that thing.

Laws that don't do the latter are really only suggestions.

Originally, the law requiring disclosure had a penalty. At a later legislative session, that penalty was removed, but the body was left intact.

Thus, we are supposed to show a CHL when asked for ID, but there is no penalty for not doing so, so it is a suggestion at best.

The judge would look at the law and say, well you must disclose your CHL or I will sentence you to, hmmmm, well, have a nice day.

I would likely just show both, but have not needed to do so as I never drive like a maniac so my encounters with law enforcement are few and far between.
If an officer did ask if I was armed, I would certainly not lie about it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Laws are supposed to define something to be done (or not done) and then create a legal penalty for not doing (or doing) that thing.

Originally, the law requiring disclosure had a penalty. At a later legislative session, that penalty was removed, but the body was left intact.

Thus, we are supposed to show a CHL when asked for ID, but there is no penalty for not doing so, so it is a suggestion at best.

The judge would look at the law and say, well you must disclose your CHL or I will sentence you to, hmmmm, well, have a nice day.

I would likely just show both, but have not needed to do so as I never drive like a maniac so my encounters with law enforcement are few and far between.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure I would let the guy know too, given the right situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top