Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2014 12:50:36 AM EDT
So, I just got my CHL and have been shopping around for holsters. That, along with reading up on here, gives me the impression the large majority of people carry their handgun without a light attached, most of the reasons stemming from comfort and ease of concealment. I'm pretty set on have some sort of light source on me (aside from my iPhone), but I just wanted to see what everybody prefers. I currently have a G17 w/ TLR-1, but am looking at smaller handguns for CCW purposes (although I don't necessarily have a problem carrying my G17).
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:20:31 AM EDT
[#1]
separate flashlight

can use the flashlight when needed, don't have to unholster sidearm

also, don't need to purchase another holster(s) to accomodate the attached light.

my primary HDP is a USP45F with the UTLMk2 light attached, but there is no need to holster it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry either a full size 1911 with a TLR-1 or a M&P9 with a TLR-1 and a RMR. OWB in kydex. I also carry a Surefire E1B in support side front pocket. The light really doesn't make that big of a difference.. It's not as though it make the gun stick out more. The vast number of self defense shootings happen at night or low light. I don't want to have to be drawing two items from two different places and then hope my brain doesn't pull the trigger on the gun when I want it to turn on the light. Or any vast number of other combinations of bad things that happen. I took a low light, no light class last year, and to say light was more intricate than I had thought is a under statement. I am no teir one opperator or super duper swat team sniper, just a joe blow. Light is all kids of cool and can be a huge advantage, as well as be extremely dangerous to the user. I would suggest a both in true Arfcom fashion.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#3]
LW Commander and Streamlight Scorpion
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry a G17 in a JM Custom Kydex Appendix holster. My flashlight is a FOURSEVENS QP2A-X during the day or a Surefire EB1T if I might be out after dark because I dislike clicky lights for pistol use and the dual mode EB1T also works OK as an EDC light. I don't CCW with a pistol mounted light but I have considered giving an appendix holster that fits my APL a shot.

ETA: Also for everyone posting negatives about using a weapon mounted light for general illumination, . Just don't do that. Just because you have a pistol mounted light doesn't mean you are physically unable to clip an EDC light in your pocket.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the great things about a flashlight not attached to a lethal weapon is that anything that startles you as you illuminate it in the dark won't be reflexively shot by default.

Keep them separate. Far more useful that way. Also allows for deception tactics.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry a seperate light.  Just the way I learned, and prefer to carry.   I have practiced with a mounted light, and they do work well.   Shit ton of fun, matter of fact, running a night pistol course on steel.    
 For my purposes, I don't like the idea of pointing my gun at someone to illuminate them.   Little different than a pistol course.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry a G17 in a JM Custom Kydex Appendix holster. My flashlight is a FOURSEVENS QP2A-X during the day or a Surefire EB1T if I might be out after dark because I dislike clicky lights for pistol use and the dual mode EB1T also works OK as an EDC light. I don't CCW with a pistol mounted light but I have considered giving an appendix holster that fits my APL a shot.

ETA: Also for everyone posting negatives about using a weapon mounted light for general illumination, . Just don't do that. Just because you have a pistol mounted light doesn't mean you are physically unable to clip an EDC light in your pocket.
View Quote

I just don't want to carry any more stuff.   Pistol/reload/EDC light works for me, nothing wrong with keeping a WML too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
My "main" setup is a Glock 19 + APL in a NUoSU Concealment AIWB holster, 2 spare mags in Kytex mag carriers, and a Fenix LD12 in my back pocket alongside my wallet (to keep it upright).  I chose the LD12 because I use it a lot for work, and I can get AA batteries out of our tool crib.

In other words, get both.  There is no reason you can't carry a light on your gun and a separate "EDC" light as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input, guys. I had been considering carrying my G17 w/ TLR-1 along with an EDC light. 2 is 1, 1 is none right? I don't currently have an EDC light, so it looks like I'm going shopping haha.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#10]
MP 9FS w/ TLR-3 AIWB and a SF P2X Fury Tactical as a handheld.  After many problems with tritium sights falling out I ditched them and now run a brass bead, so I started carrying a light so I could pick up the sights at night.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One of the great things about a flashlight not attached to a lethal weapon is that anything that startles you as you illuminate it in the dark won't be reflexively shot by default.

Keep them separate. Far more useful that way. Also allows for deception tactics.
View Quote

That's completely ridiculous.  Who in the world told you that?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry an X300U in my left front pocket. Works well as a handheld, or easily slips on my G19.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I always use a separate flashlight.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I always carry a JetBeam RRT01 on the side of my Leatherman pouch, so I always have light.  If I am CCW IWB, I don't have a CCW pistol with a rail, so no light.  If I am [walking around woods, etc] I CCW in a manpurse and then I have room for a railed gun, and I have a light attached.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer to have a stand-alone flashlight.  I use it all the time around the house, at work, etc.  Even used it once to persuade a drunk to remove himself from my vicinity.  As others have mentioned, if you're going to light up a family member or a pet, it's best to not have a muzzle pointed at them.  Of course, having a second one mounted to your gun sounds like the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Glock 19 or 23 with tlr in a zero concealment systems holster. Theres always my cell phone or flash lights laying around in my truck if i need one
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Always have a dedicated EDC flashlight. I use a Streamlight Micro or Streamlight Stylus Pro. Bright enough if I need a flashlight, and could work in a low light defensive situation if something real bad happened.

I do have a holster to fit my gun and Insight M3, I got it specifically for walking my dogs at night. That's about the only time I carry with a weapon mounted light.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Always have a dedicated EDC flashlight. I use a Streamlight Micro or Streamlight Stylus Pro. Bright enough if I need a flashlight, and could work in a low light defensive situation if something real bad happened.

I do have a holster to fit my gun and Insight M3, I got it specifically for walking my dogs at night. That's about the only time I carry with a weapon mounted light.
View Quote

Streamlight Stylus Pro hardly qualifies as a "tactical" flashlight, but I carry one all the time also.  When I was trying to decide what my first pistol should be, someone said it didn't matter what I chose if I was going to leave it home because it was too big to carry.  Same with a flashlight.  I have a couple of lights with strobes, serrated striking bezels, a bazillion lumens, etc., but this little thing is ALWAYS in my shirt pocket.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#19]
This is ARFCOM, the correct answer is get both. I carry both a handheld light and a weapon mounted light. The handheld comes in handy for many things.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a G19 with APL for carry. A holster which allows you to keep the light mounted is not that much larger than one which doesn't. If I need to illuminate something which isn't threat / potential threat, I can always use my iphone.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So, I just got my CHL and have been shopping around for holsters. That, along with reading up on here, gives me the impression the large majority of people carry their handgun without a light attached, most of the reasons stemming from comfort and ease of concealment. I'm pretty set on have some sort of light source on me (aside from my iPhone), but I just wanted to see what everybody prefers. I currently have a G17 w/ TLR-1, but am looking at smaller handguns for CCW purposes (although I don't necessarily have a problem carrying my G17).
View Quote

I live in SWF and wear a Tshirt & cargo shorts 99% of the time!

I EDcarry a HK P30S V3 9mm w/ TLR-1 Light IWB at 3:00.

I had Tony / JM make me a custom IWB  that  based on his V3 IWB
EXCEPT

Holds TLR-1
Full Guard
Straight Drop
Low Ride
Pull Dot Loops . ( I had clips/hooks/ Fail)

Wearing JM holster at 3:00 is comfortable. Matter of fact its more comfortable than my P30S without TLR-1 light using a Blade NANO IWB.

I also carry 2 handhelds

Nitecore SRT 5 detective 750 lumen.  excellent light BTW
Surefire P2X Fury Defender 500lumens Like SRT better.

Its important that you practice using your handheld flashlight.
When I reload I keep the flashlight in my hand.
I use the  Neck Index  or even FBI hold.
Found it works best for ME.

BTW If the Surefire ULTRA would of fit my P30S well I would go that option . Better yet If your pistol can except a surefire then get the laser light green if possible
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
. The light really doesn't make that big of a difference.. It's not as though it make the gun stick out more. .
View Quote

+1

I was so surprised.  I should of done it long ago.

I think my next step is a laser/light

Ive been email surefire for a compact light / laser
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top