Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2014 9:21:25 AM EDT
I'm still hoping the OCTX retards haven't completely fucked up everything and we might get open carry next year. Since I've had several guns rust out because I was carrying IWB while jogging, I'm planning to start open carrying just while jogging.

What's the general consensus about Level 1, 2, or 3 retention for open carry?

I was playing with a Safariland ALS holster (for airsoft) and it seems just as fast as no-active-retention belt holster used for competition, but the SLS was noticeably slower and less intuitive since you have to push in and up (on the SLS lever) THEN push down on the ALS lever anyways.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd be comfortable with Level 1/Safariland ALS.

Also, I think you're confused on the SLS; it's a hood guard system that moves down and forward, and actually works really well in conjunction with the ALS.

Either that or I'm not understanding your wording.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be comfortable with Level 1/Safariland ALS.

Also, I think you're confused on the SLS; it's a hood guard system that moves down and forward, and actually works really well in conjunction with the ALS.

Either that or I'm not understanding your wording.
View Quote

I'm probably not explaining it well. It seemed like the SLS release required pushing down with your thumb (against a pad on the side of the hood), then pushing forward on the hood while continuing to put downward pressure on the pad on the side of the SLS. The holster I got to try briefly in the store had both SLS and ALS on it, which seemed slow. The SLS had to go "up", and the ALS going "down" seemed like counter-intuitive releases.

Then again, it seemed "slow" next to a ALS-only holster. It's probably pretty fast (with practice) compared to having to rip a tucked polo shirt out of the way to get to a IWB-tucked holster. Maybe I just had the wrong perspective at the store.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a bit slower than an ALS-only holster, of course, but in practice once the hood is down your thumb is resting right on the ALS.  Slight down/rear pressure as you draw is all that's needed at that point.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Just a suggestion. I run about 20 mi per week with a g19 and use a fanny pack turned "inside out".

Like this one, but with the 3 zippers facing my stomach so the strap tension secures the gun.

Took lots of trial and error but this setup is doesn't bounce at all with the straps tight. Been using it for about 2 years, gun gets a tiny amount sweat on it but glocks truly don't rust.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If we get Open carry here then if I do it I will use an ALS only holster. Back when I was a cop I used the 6360 which uses both SLS and ALS together. ALS is the best, fastest and all you need.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#6]
The Safariland ALS is an excellent balance between retention, speed, and bulk. It's my personal choice for open carry, and I even use it for 3 gun competition where the retention barely affects my draw yet has saved the gun from coming out of the holster during courses of fire on several occasions.

The SLS is overkill for an open carry holster unless it's duty related IME.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Safariland ALS is an excellent balance between retention, speed, and bulk. It's my personal choice for open carry, and I even use it for 3 gun competition where the retention barely affects my draw yet has saved the gun from coming out of the holster during courses of fire on several occasions.

View Quote

Why would being "duty related" change how much retention makes sense?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#9]
My SLS I have 4 of them have no ALS tab. They are hood only.  I like them but only use them for duty range or woods carry.  If your guns are "rusting out" you aren't caring for them properly sweat or no sweat.

Also check out Hill People Gear Kit Bags.  The Runner model comes highly recommended.  

HPG Runner
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Because you are John Q Public, not someone whose job is comprised of interacting with people one-on-one, going hands on with a portion of them and whose life depends on your gun staying in the holster due to the types of people you are frequently in contact with.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The trade off in draw speed is not worth the extra retention of the SLS when a gun grab is far less likely IME.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My SLS I have 4 of them have no ALS tab. They are hood only.  I like them but only use them for duty range or woods carry.  If your guns are "rusting out" you aren't caring for them properly sweat or no sweat.
View Quote

Sorry for not knowing this, but in order for the SLS to have not ALS tab.... did you remove it or was it ordered that way?
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:00:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sorry for not knowing this, but in order for the SLS to have not ALS tab.... did you remove it or was it ordered that way?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can order them that way. The SLS has been around a lot longer than the ALS. The duty version is the 6280.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This +1.

The SLS/ALS draw is very nearly as fast when you practice with it but if it wasn't for duty use I'd have an ALS only holster. Far superior to a SERPA and a great OC holster IMO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top