Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2014 10:44:29 PM EDT
I went down to the Sheriff's office yesterday and got my concealed carry permit. There were 5 people in the office ahead of me when I walked in. I already had the application filled out before I got there. The lady at the desk gave me one more page to fill out which only asked  for my local PD and needed a signature. She then asked for my license and $20 then asked me to take a seat while she ran my background check. A few minutes later she announced that I and the gentleman next to me were good to go and handed our paper work to the Sheriff. I was called up had a picture snapped, permit was printed and laminated and I was out the door. Literally was in and out in 20 min, permit in hand.

My best friend who lives a county over went to renew his yesterday and since it was expired over 30 days he was told he had to fill out his application as a new applicant. After completing the forms and paying his fee he was told that it could take up to 45 days for him to receive his permit in the mail and was sent away.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences have been when going to acquire a Concealed carry permit since our experiences were so different here in Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Take 8hr CPL class, take class certificate to county clerk and pay $105, schedule fingerprint appointment with police (2 weeks to get appointment), wait minimum of 6-8 weeks for background check and for county gun board to meet, and once approved it takes less then a week to finally recieve drivers liscense quality permit in the mail.

Fortunately Michigan is considering removing the gun boards so it will be quicker.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Ours is all done by the state police. If it was by county it would be faster.

I have a life CCW cost $100 no classes.  Since last year the wait times have been a couple months because FBHO.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I went down to the Sheriff's office yesterday and got my concealed carry permit. There were 5 people in the office ahead of me when I walked in. I already had the application filled out before I got there. The lady at the desk gave me one more page to fill out which only asked  for my local PD and needed a signature. She then asked for my license and $20 then asked me to take a seat while she ran my background check. A few minutes later she announced that I and the gentleman next to me were good to go and handed our paper work to the Sheriff. I was called up had a picture snapped, permit was printed and laminated and I was out the door. Literally was in and out in 20 min, permit in hand.

My best friend who lives a county over went to renew his yesterday and since it was expired over 30 days he was told he had to fill out his application as a new applicant. After completing the forms and paying his fee he was told that it could take up to 45 days for him to receive his permit in the mail and was sent away.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences have been when going to acquire a Concealed carry permit since our experiences were so different here in Pennsylvania.
View Quote

Our sheriff makes you come back a week later. I suppose no one told him that they are "instant checks" through the PICS system. The same with NFA paperwork. However, since my license didn't expire for another month or so I could wait. Huntingdon county here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It has gotten easier in PA.
It took me two weeks to receive my PA LTCF in the mail.  But the process wasn't difficult.  The form is very similar to a Federal 4473 (almost identical), $20, a photo (a pretty crappy one taken by one of the deputies), two references who are willing to vouch for my sterling character, and I was good to go.

But it varies a little bit depending upon the county.  The Sheriff is an elected office...therefore there can be politics involved...is the Sheriff a Republican or a Democrat?  In the Republican counties I think things seem to go smoother, with fewer hassles than in Democrat controlled counties.
And Philadelphia is its own animal.  It's my understanding that it's very difficult to get a LTCF there.  One has to demonstrate that one habitually carries money or valuables.....because in Philadelphia, your life doesn't count as having any value.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ours is all done by the state police. If it was by county it would be faster.

I have a life CCW cost $100 no classes.  Since last year the wait times have been a couple months because FBHO.
View Quote

I live in IN as well I got it in exactly a week (Filled out application online got fingerprints and paid state fee on a thursday and got my permit in the mail the following thursday) was pleasantly surprised as many friends of mine had to wait months.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It has gotten easier in PA.
It took me two weeks to receive my PA LTCF in the mail.  But the process wasn't difficult.  The form is very similar to a Federal 4473 (almost identical), $20, a photo (a pretty crappy one taken by one of the deputies), two references who are willing to vouch for my sterling character, and I was good to go.

But it varies a little bit depending upon the county.  The Sheriff is an elected office...therefore there can be politics involved...is the Sheriff a Republican or a Democrat?  In the Republican counties I think things seem to go smoother, with fewer hassles than in Democrat controlled counties.
And Philadelphia is its own animal.  It's my understanding that it's very difficult to get a LTCF there.  One has to demonstrate that one habitually carries money or valuables.....because in Philadelphia, your life doesn't count as having any value.
View Quote

I might have a reason to drop my "retired" corrections ID there. That MIGHT change their minds. However, I would never live in that ****hole of a city.

Our county is so small that we usually have one guy running for the Sheriff's office as a "Democratic / Republican. Not much in the way of politics there. The sheriff of our county is a retired state trooper. He's good with the NFA stuff.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea they didn't even bother to call my references. Not sure on his political affiliation but I would assume republican. And as far as philly goes I'm just glad we can carry in the city now with a Ltcf from any county. I'm in Lancaster County btw. And my friend lives in Chester county.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#8]
*Duplicate post*
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
In IL, they tell you if you apply with prints they have up to 90 days, without prints, 120 days, to issue your CCL. Our CCLs are handled by the state police, not at the county level at all.

I was in the first batch of 5K issued at the beginning of March. Mine took 60 days (I had prints). Some people are reporting shorter times now that some kinks are getting worked out of the system.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
In Arizona the wait is currently 6 weeks.  That is to say, it takes them 5 weeks to open the envelope and then a week to get your permit.  No photo on ours.

It's done by the state DPS and they are understaffed.  Seriously, first-in first-out and the "to be opened" pile is 5 weeks long.

Previously I mailed my renewal on a Monday and got my new Permit on a Wednesday.  Since the Post Office was involved I don't understand how that is even possible, but it was.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In Arizona the wait is currently 6 weeks.  That is to say, it takes them 5 weeks to open the envelope and then a week to get your permit.  No photo on ours.

It's done by the state DPS and they are understaffed.  Seriously, first-in first-out and the "to be opened" pile is 5 weeks long.

Previously I mailed my renewal on a Monday and got my new Permit on a Wednesday.  Since the Post Office was involved I don't understand how that is even possible, but it was.
View Quote

Carrier pigeons work fast. You didn't know?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Walk in, fill out paperwork, have your name run for warrants, pay your ten bucks (maybe twenty now), walk out with your temp permit. Takes about five to ten minutes if they're not busy. Your laminated permit comes in the male a couple of weeks later. Shall issue, no training requirements.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:06:42 AM EDT
[#13]
8 hour class, 4 references, 3 applications with pictures, fingerprints,  pistol purchase receipt,  letter to the judge, then meet with the judge. This takes anywhere from 4-10+ months to get. Then he grants you a restricted concealed permit which you have for a year, then take an advanced pistol course to get your restrictions lifted.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
8 hour class, 4 references, 3 applications with pictures, fingerprints,  pistol purchase receipt,  letter to the judge, then meet with the judge. This takes anywhere from 4-10+ months to get. Then he grants you a restricted concealed permit which you have for a year, then take an advanced pistol course to get your restrictions lifted.
View Quote

Wow, jump through hoops much? This is why NY is a MAY issue state.

I remember when PA was a MAY issue state. Back when I got my first pistol permit at age 21. Signed letter from the police chief (who had to know you or your family). Then off to the county seat to pick up your permit which was good throughout PA except Philthadelphia.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Same experience as yours without the people in front of me.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Here in OK it is running about 60 days.
1) Take an 8 hr SDA class.
2) Get passport photos and fill out application.
3) Go by SO and get printed.
4) SO does a background check and submits the packet to the OSBI.

Cost is $100 for a 5 year or $200 for a 10 year permit, class usually costs $50-$65.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in IL.

1. 16 hr classroom with range time
2. $150 fee for 5 year resident permit
3. Prints are optional, but may expedite approval

I just got approved today at 99 days. I should have my license in the mail by the end of the week. I think my Utah showed up in about 5 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm in IL.

1. 16 hr classroom with range time
2. $150 fee for 5 year resident permit
3. Prints are optional, but may expedite approval

I just got approved today at 99 days. I should have my license in the mail by the end of the week. I think my Utah showed up in about 5 weeks.
View Quote

Geez, and I bitch about a week!
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:50:18 AM EDT
[#19]
In VA, it's handled by the state police. I am prior service so no class for me. Fill out form, take to county clerks, pay $15, waited 1.5 weeks, win.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:06:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Got my approval in the mail yesterday, too a month and 5 days from submitting. Now just need to go have my picture taken
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm in Ohio. I have used Wayne County Sheriff Dept for three CCP!
(And no I do not live in Wayne County)
They have been extremely  nice, to me!
I wont go into the first two times, just to say it was easy!
This last visit was about what happen with you. I had everything filled out.
Had my appointment, arrived on time, waited maybe 10 mins.
Went back with Depute, She was real nice. May of ask a question or two.
([i]More likely I was asking the questions)
Took picture, laminated permit, took my payment, Handed me my CCP!!!
I was out in less then 20 mins.
Read soom horror stories on here. Been lucky it has not happen to me!!!!

PITA45

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Oregon law states that the Sheriff will take no longer than 45 days to issue permits.  They did this to prevent a County Sheriff form dragging his feet and never issuing permits.  With that said it took mine 56 days to be issued I thought about calling the Sheriff to report a crime but had second thoughts because he was the perp.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I took my 12 hour class, submitted my application and scheduled to meet with the sheriff. ~3.5 months later I finally got in, got interviewed, fingerprinted, paid my $153 and the permit took 8 weeks to mail out
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I took a 3 hour class, paid $150 and had my permit 35 days from when I applied at the county building.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#25]
8 hour class, turn in app, $70ish, wait one or more likely two months, get permit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Vermont here so......no wait
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#27]
In ny it is run by each county differently ( be aware a permit is required for possession of a handgun of any kind) and those that are even willing to issue what we call unrestricted carry permits usually from start to finish the fastest you can bet on is about ten months ( no that is not a misprint) to up to two years. Bend over kiss the ground and rejoice you live in a free state!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#28]
6mo - 1 year in st lawrence county ny... Waiting on mine....... And to my knowledge they only issue restricted carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top