Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 5:13:21 PM EDT
Since I received my CCL I've been carrying everyday for the past 4 months and I've noticed that my holster (OWB Raven Concealment) is wearing holes in the back of my shorts (long bowling style shirts) where the screws for the holster sit. I carry at 4 and 7 o'clock and the pressure from sitting down (car and chairs) is the root of the problem.

I've done a little digging and so far I've found solutions like putting patches on the shirts where the screws touch and covering the screwheads with moleskin, duct tape or hot glue. I've not tried anything yet because I just noticed the problem on a shirt I bought around a month ago.

I'm really bummed because I want to carry all the time but I don't want to destroy my $60 shirts. I also learned that IWB holsters can cause a similar problem with pants and I don't like IWB anyway.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be sincerely appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Move your carry position to 3:00 or so so when you sit so your shirt isn't getting caught between the chair back and holster.
I have the same holster, carry at 2:30 -3:00 and don't have that problem with daily carry in some of the same shirts for years.
It's also more comfortable for sitting. Especially in my truck with the seatbelt as I spend a lot of time driving.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Because of the belt loops on my pants I can carry at 4 and 7 or 3 and 9. In 3 and 9 I can move things forward a bit but I prefer to carry at 4 and 7 for comfort. That said, I'm going to try carrying at 3 and 9 until I figure something else out, if I do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I put some moleskin over the screws so I'll see how that holds up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree try the 3 o'clock
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Lightly take a Dremel with a grinding stone to the screw heads and knock off the sharp edges.  My Crossbreed wore holes in two pair of pants before I figured that out.  No problem since.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Lightly take a Dremel with a grinding stone to the screw heads and knock off the sharp edges.  My Crossbreed wore holes in two pair of pants before I figured that out.  No problem since.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I thought about that but they really don't really that sharp but I'll try that when the moleskin wears out. Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may be a solution. I just looked at my Raven and ran my fingers over the 4 screw heads and could feel some small burrs on them. I assume that's from the tightening at the factory.
If that doesn't work and the moleskin wears off you might try capping the screw heads with a small dab of clear silicone caulk.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quick update.

Well it's been a little over 2 weeks since I started using moleskin to cover the screws and it's holding up pretty well. I've only had to replace 3 strips (I use 8 strips, once for each screw) so far. The trick to helping to prevent them from peeling off is to wrap them around the backside so the side edges don't get caught. I also switched to a 3/9 carry which keeps them from being squeezed between my back and chairs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Most of my shirts have holes on my right hip. It seems unavoidable to me. I don't let it bother me to much. You will get used to it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Most of my shirts have holes on my right hip. It seems unavoidable to me. I don't let it bother me to much. You will get used to it.
View Quote
At this point I have a solution that works so for me the problem is avoidable and I don't like walking around with holes in my shirts. To each his one. :)

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I just replace my shirts and the holey ones become work shirts, cutoffs and undershirts
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Move your carry position to 3:00
View Quote

I carry at 3:00 IWB

And haven't had any issues.  I also use simple IWB kydex holsters . Built like the old school MiltSparks SS IWB.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Because of the belt loops on my pants I can carry at 4 and 7 or 3 and 9. In 3 and 9 I can move things forward a bit but I prefer to carry at 4 and 7 for comfort. That said, I'm going to try carrying at 3 and 9 until I figure something else out, if I do.
View Quote

I get the carrying at 3:00 or 4:00 or 9:00

I don't understand 4 and 7?

Are you carrying 2 handguns? one at 4 and the other at 7??

I do.  service pistol at 3:00 IWB and a M642 in left pocket
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Since I received my CCL I've been carrying everyday for the past 4 months and I've noticed that my holster (OWB Raven Concealment) is wearing holes in the back of my shorts (long bowling style shirts) where the screws for the holster sit. I carry at 4 and 7 o'clock and the pressure from sitting down (car and chairs) is the root of the problem.

I've done a little digging and so far I've found solutions like putting patches on the shirts where the screws touch and covering the screwheads with moleskin, duct tape or hot glue. I've not tried anything yet because I just noticed the problem on a shirt I bought around a month ago.

I'm really bummed because I want to carry all the time but I don't want to destroy my $60 shirts. I also learned that IWB holsters can cause a similar problem with pants and I don't like IWB anyway.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be sincerely appreciated.
View Quote

Try a Pancake style OWB with belt slots. No screws needed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for the confusion.

I carry the pistol at 4 and the mags at 7/8 or I carry the pistol at 3 and the mags at 9.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
If you're referring to a leather OWB, I don't feel comfortable with a leather holster and a striker fired pistol.

However, if you're talking about a kydex pancake OWB without screws I'd appreciate a link to a vendor who sells those because I can't say I've seen them.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you're referring to a leather OWB, I don't feel comfortable with a leather holster and a striker fired pistol.

However, if you're talking about a kydex pancake OWB without screws I'd appreciate a link to a vendor who sells those because I can't say I've seen them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know what you "could" do is carefully drill the rivets out and then re rivet the loops directly on to the holster using a longer eyelet.

I bet if you asked Raven's custom department would even do that for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top