Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2014 9:56:09 AM EDT

Any of you count the number of belt loops on pants / shorts before buying them?
I have noticed some have 5 and some have 7
Mine with 5 don't carry my gun near as tight as the ones with 7 loops.
Has nothing to do with the belt or holster either as I have a Raven and Wilderness & Beltman belts.
I neve see this mentioned as all anyone ever talks about is the holster and quality of belt.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine has 5. I've noticed that sizes matter too. Those above 38/40 usually have 7.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just having this conversation. I too prefer 7 belt loops. No doubt the more belt loops, the better IMO.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Number of loops is kind of secondary to placement of loops. I've had some pants that vary on whether or not they have one of the loops directly over the side seam. I usually place the front holster clip directly behind the seam loop and the back holster clip behind the next belt loop.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Levis vs Carhartts, I've changed to Carhartt's ..
a lot more consistency, one pair to the next,...7 loops, holster goes in the same spot every time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine has 5. I've noticed that sizes matter too. Those above 38/40 usually have 7.
View Quote

Interesting as I never considered bigger waist = more loops.
My waist size is around 35 so I wear 36.
My experience is with brand / mfg. I wear Wrangler jeans and they have 7
I noticed it on the different brands of cargo shorts I have. I guess some of the mfg's feel 2 less loops saves them $.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Number of loops is kind of secondary to placement of loops. I've had some pants that vary on whether or not they have one of the loops directly over the side seam. I usually place the front holster clip directly behind the seam loop and the back holster clip behind the next belt loop.
View Quote

I used to span the belt loop at 3:00 just like you mention.
Then I got to where I like to carry around 2:30 so my holster loops both sit between the 1st and 2nd belt loops on my pants.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
a lot more consistency, one pair to the next,...7 loops, holster goes in the same spot every time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Weird, my 501's are all exactly the same, especially where the belt loops are.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed it on the different brands of cargo shorts I have. I guess some of the mfg's feel 2 less loops saves them $.

Yea different brands will be different, I wear Levis 501's and size does matter. You need to be a big guy to have 7 belt loops but IME it doesn't matter. I prefer 5 otherwise there would be 1 underneath the holster poking in my side all day. A lot of times I think people use more loops to get away with wearing a substandard belt.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']

Yea different brands will be different, I wear Levis 501's and size does matter. You need to be a big guy to have 7 belt loops but IME it doesn't matter. I prefer 5 otherwise there would be 1 underneath the holster poking in my side all day. A lot of times I think people use more loops to get away with wearing a substandard belt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You would think having more loops would help with a substandard belt as I am sure it does but my belts are both quality gunbelts being Wilderness 5 stitch and beltman so it is still an "issue" having less loops. People definitely need to invest in a quality belt as that does make the major difference. But if you have a good holster and a real gunbelt and still feel your gun is not riding as tight as you would like or think it should you might want to check the loop count on your shorts or pants.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You would think having more loops would help with a substandard belt as I am sure it does but my belts are both quality gunbelts being Wilderness 5 stitch and beltman so it is still an "issue" having less loops. People definitely need to invest in a quality belt as that does make the major difference. But if you have a good holster and a real gunbelt and still feel your gun is not riding as tight as you would like or think it should you might want to check the loop count on your shorts or pants.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I might check out some Carhartts then because the additional 2 belt loops on Levi's that I've seen are both in the back (4:30ish & 7:30ish) and that wouldn't help me at all seeing that I carry at 3. Does yours have the additional loops on the side somewhere?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife always brings them home for me to try on....the Levis (back when I used to wear them) varied quite alot from one pair to the next, lucky to keep 2 out of 6 brought home.
At one time when she inquired, my wife was told...the cut, fit loops etc. depends on where they were made.
No thanks, I'd worn Levis for 35-40 years and they became junk, I'm not sure where Carhartt's are made...
but they're alot more consistent and IMHO better made, I put the rear edge of the back clip of my ST fusion about 1/4"
ahead of the 4:00 loop and my 1911 rides comfortably about 3:30, in the same spot every time with the weight distributed
between 2 clips / loops.
I've happily converted, as have a number of friends who got tired of Levies crap.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
No never counted them before. May watch that in the future!
I have had belt loops moved, so my IWB holster and spare ammo
sets where I want it to set.

PITA45
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My wife always brings them home for me to try on....the Levis (back when I used to wear them) varied quite alot from one pair to the next, lucky to keep 2 out of 6 brought home.
At one time when she inquired, my wife was told...the cut, fit loops etc. depends on where they were made.
No thanks, I'd worn Levis for 35-40 years and they became junk, I'm not sure where Carhartt's are made...
but they're alot more consistent and IMHO better made, I put the rear edge of the back clip of my ST fusion about 1/4"
ahead of the 4:00 loop and my 1911 rides comfortably about 3:30, in the same spot every time with the weight distributed
between 2 clips / loops.
I've happily converted, as have a number of friends who got tired of Levies crap.
View Quote

Lol sounds like you're trying to convert someone, if it's me don't bother. I've not experienced anything you have, not to say I don't believe you, but that just as with guns everyone has lemons. My youngest pair of 501's is 4 years old and have done everything from roofing the house to carrying my gun at HEB. Enjoy your Carharts, I'll enjoy my Levis
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Never counted the number of loops, but have noticed the loop placement makes a different in fit/feel.  The main difference seems to be in the back.  The jeans I have that have either 2 loops offset in the back, or 3 loops (one in center and one offset on each side) work better than the ones with only one loop placed directly over the rear seem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top