Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I told someone once it was a colostomy bag and another it was an insulin pump for diabeties. I still hate it if I get pulled over and I feel like I have to tell them that I am carrying. Just so they dont accidentally draw on me by some stupid surprise.

Maine has open carry as well. I used to open carry when I was going to the range and whatnot but not everywhere. I do know a few folks that do OC everywhere.  

AL
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude, I'm NW suburban Crook County and the only places I have to.disarm are.work and the post office. Anywhere else I.go about my usual business, I'm.armed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Seriously, I've only had to disarm 3 days and I've been carrying since the beginning of March.

Maybe for those commuting into Chicago the ban on public trans is an issue, and that is the first one that needs to get changed, but the rest is not at all as bad some say.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Dude, I'm NW suburban Crook County and the only places I have to.disarm are.work and the post office. Anywhere else I.go about my usual business, I'm.armed.

View Quote

I think you should read the following (430 ILCS 66/65): https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public/AboutTheAct.aspx
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
What firearm are you carrying?  Because if I was carrying a Hi Point mexican style, I would feel a little like a criminal. But a Glock or a Walther in an IWB holster I feel well dressed and prepared to carry on confidently.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think you should read the following (430 ILCS 66/65): https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/Public/AboutTheAct.aspx
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am very well versed in the law. However, where I go, I don't have to disarm. I'm not frequenting parks, museums, school property, libraries, etc. I don't carry where the law says no, but I don't go those places, for the most part. Stores in my area aren't posted for the most part.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I am very well versed in the law. However, where I go, I don't have to disarm. I'm not frequenting parks, museums, school property, libraries, etc. I don't carry where the law says no, but I don't go those places, for the most part. Stores in my area aren't posted for the most part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point is there are  lots of places you cannot CCW legally.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Seriously, I've only had to disarm 3 days and I've been carrying since the beginning of March.

Maybe for those commuting into Chicago the ban on public trans is an issue, and that is the first one that needs to get changed, but the rest is not at all as bad some say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use to live in Chicago for a couple of years I did not a have a car so rode the bus and the took the 'L'. It was OK in day light hours but I sometimes I flew in late to Midway airport and rode the Orange line and it was bad late at night sometimes. I lived there before Illinois was a shall issue state. Did not get mugged or anything bad but they should change the law so CCW holders can carry on public transit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:36:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with Marie. I usually don't frequent schools, parks, gov buildings, libraries, hospitals, ect. When I need to ship something I just print out a label and hand it to my usps carrier. I avoid businesses that are posted, very few are actually posted here in Will county. I've had to disarm very few times since I got my license in April.

You shouldn't feel like a criminal. Also please make sure that you are ok with the idea of having to take a life in a defensive situation in order to save your own or of a loved one. When I first got my license I holstered my cocked and locked commander, went to run some errands, and felt a great sense of pride. I wrote countless letters and signed tons of witness slips, I felt I made some sort of effort. We stuck together and took the crown jewel of gun control away from the rabid anti's.  I carry every single time it's legal to do so and wont miss a second of legal carry as long as I'm breathing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree with Marie. I usually don't frequent schools, parks, gov buildings, libraries, hospitals, ect. When I need to ship something I just print out a label and hand it to my usps carrier. I avoid businesses that are posted, very few are actually posted here in Will county. I've had to disarm very few times since I got my license in April.

You shouldn't feel like a criminal. Also please make sure that you are ok with the idea of having to take a life in a defensive situation in order to save your own or of a loved one. When I first got my license I holstered my cocked and locked commander, went to run some errands, and felt a great sense of pride. I wrote countless letters and signed tons of witness slips, I felt I made some sort of effort. We stuck together and took the crown jewel of gun control away from the rabid anti's.  I carry every single time it's legal to do so and wont miss a second of legal carry as long as I'm breathing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good points.  Seems to me though many of the places you can't carry are what I would call "high risk" areas. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get past the feeling.

Off the subject a little, but there are some pretty cool APs I have found that tell you where you can and can't carry on your smartphone.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Strange, it makes me feel like a free man.  

But I've never lived with the boot of the man on my neck.

Enjoy your rights brother.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I feel naked without my gun
View Quote

That's good!!!     That's your warning bell to telling you that you need to go get them.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So, I got my new CCW a couple of months ago, but every time I carry I feel like a fu$%ing criminal.  I think it's  because I am from Illinois and have been beaten into submission for so long by the "man".   I will continue to carry to try to get over this feeling but I am wondering if I am the only one who feels this way and/or have felt this way in the past.   Let the flames begin.
View Quote

Brainwashing does work. Go to a bad neighborhood. That feeling will go away.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So, I got my new CCW a couple of months ago, but every time I carry I feel like a fu$%ing criminal.  I think it's  because I am from Illinois and have been beaten into submission for so long by the "man".   I will continue to carry to try to get over this feeling but I am wondering if I am the only one who feels this way and/or have felt this way in the past.   Let the flames begin.
View Quote

I don't feel like a criminal, but I do feel self conscious.  I don't think anyone has actually noticed me carrying, and printing isn't a crime, but still...
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I feel like a free citizen.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Carrying a gun implies a mindset which you need to adopt post haste.
View Quote

Mindset, mindset, mindset......training, training, training.....practice, practice, practice!!

I expect, and may be wrong, that you've been legally qualified by the state of IL to carry legally, but may not have been mentally and physically prepared to live as a person who goes armed on a daily basis.

Experience carrying will help, but get some good training that includes the mental side of self defense and being prepared for a violent encounter.....

In addition to "hands on" live fire training on gun handling and accuracy, you might want to read books by Jeff Cooper, Mas Ayoob, Ed Lovette, Dave Spaulding and/or Dave Grossman. If it ever comes back into print, read Tom Givens' "Fighting Smarter."

Another good book is "Facing Violence" by Rory Miller.....

Carrying a gun doesn't make you safe......carrying a gun, knowing how and when to use it, and being willing to use it, may save your life.

Good luck and stay safe....

George
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
YOU are doing the right thing. that "criminal" feeling is more your self-consciousness about wearing a firearm in public for the first time/times. Let me give you some advice that someone here gave me

yes you are wearing a gun, congrats

yes you are printing, no nobody has a fucking clue.

within the first week of getting my plastic i had a wall mart whale squeeze right through a hole half the size of her, right up against my strong side. she never even blinked. That really opened my eyes to how oblivious people really are to the world around them. You live in the wonderful age of technology where people are to busy looking at their phone to notice a slight bulge on your hip.

congrats and keep carrying!!!

i'm a yearling when it comes to carry, so these feelings are not so distant for me, and yet, now i don't even give a second though to a kydex paddle holster and a button up shirt. because nobody has a clue accept the guy who notices and decides not to rob you, or the guy that notices because he's got one two and couldn't care less if you have one.

welcome to the club

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hate to say it, but...

Sack up, brother man.  Fuck that liberal bullshit.  You gonna feel like a criminal when the chips are down and you gotta defend yourself?

Carrying a gun implies a mindset which you need to adopt post haste.  If you can't do that, you may as well leave it at home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then you probably shouldn't carry.  

Hate to say it, but...

Sack up, brother man.  Fuck that liberal bullshit.  You gonna feel like a criminal when the chips are down and you gotta defend yourself?

Carrying a gun implies a mindset which you need to adopt post haste.  If you can't do that, you may as well leave it at home.

I'm sort of in this camp, OP.  Without proper mindset, that gun won't do you much good!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Personal liberty  is heady stuff. You'll get used to  and love it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#19]
You'll get over it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top