Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2014 11:29:28 AM EDT

So, I got my new CCW a couple of months ago, but every time I carry I feel like a fu$%ing criminal.  I think it's  because I am from Illinois and have been beaten into submission for so long by the "man".   I will continue to carry to try to get over this feeling but I am wondering if I am the only one who feels this way and/or have felt this way in the past.   Let the flames begin.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#1]
What you are feeling is the guilt they've forced upon you for believing that you have the right to defend yourself.

Carry on, and know that you are in the right, and have the right.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully you're confusing feeling a little self conscious about printing when carrying, versus feeling like a criminal.

The first will go away with time, as to the latter, I guess living in such a restrictive state does leave a mark.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Strange, it makes me feel like a free man.  

But I've never lived with the boot of the man on my neck.

Enjoy your rights brother.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a vacation to one of the free states like Washington or Arizona where you don't need a permit or license to carry openly.  While you're there, carry your handgun openly in a secure holster and be amazed that nobody cares, and the police don't bat an eye in your direction.

Once you've tasted real liberty in a free state, your permitted concealed carry will be much easier.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then you probably shouldn't carry.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding, guilt tripping people should leave there personal safety up to LE.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hate to say it, but...

Sack up, brother man.  Fuck that liberal bullshit.  You gonna feel like a criminal when the chips are down and you gotta defend yourself?

Carrying a gun implies a mindset which you need to adopt post haste.  If you can't do that, you may as well leave it at home.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I feel naked without my gun
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I feel naked without my gun
View Quote
same here.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your support.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take a vacation to one of the free states like Washington or Arizona where you don't need a permit or license to carry openly.  While you're there, carry your handgun openly in a secure holster and be amazed that nobody cares, and the police don't bat an eye in your direction.

Once you've tasted real liberty in a free state, your permitted concealed carry will be much easier.
View Quote

Good idea until the pot smokers light up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hopefully you're confusing feeling a little self conscious about printing when carrying, versus feeling like a criminal.

The first will go away with time, as to the latter, I guess living in such a restrictive state does leave a mark.
View Quote

Yeah, I think part of it was the finger printing...
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for your support.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your support.

I wonder how you would feel if something went down and you weren't carrying.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But I've never lived with the boot of the man on my neck. Try to OPEN CARRY a pistol.......

View Quote

Boot is on your neck in Texas, not as much as Illinois, but it is there.

I can constitutionally open carry in Ohio.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, they're harmless and for the most part, unarmed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Its when I am not carrying that I feel a little guilty. I have a quiet responsibility to myself and my loved ones
to have the means to protect us. Its my job as "tribal leader."
Just as I would not put my wife in a car with bald tires, or a house without fire protection, or make her live
in a high crime location, I won`t have her unsafe.

I am not as concerned about being spotted by other citizens as I used to be, cause as far as I can tell, nobody
pays attention to me at all. I blend, I smile, I am unremarkable.

OP, carry your weapon quietly and consistently, your qualms will go away. You will soon relish using
your God give right.  

scruff
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the hell does that matter to you
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks for your support.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your support.

Don't listen to that noise.  You just need immersion detox. Carry every day, everywhere for a few weeks and you'll grow confident and comfortable. Your apprehension is a sign you are a person who desires to do what is right.  Don't hide from or be ashamed of it - simply commit to mastering it.

Life is too short to listen to little pricks who only offer discouragement.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I feel naked when not carrying .
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But I've never lived with the boot of the man on my neck. Try to OPEN CARRY a pistol.......

Your benchmark may be open carry.  Mine isn't.  Open carry is something I wouldn't do in any case.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I live in ny.  I get what you are saying.....sort of.  With that said I've carried legally every day since I was 22.  I've known a lot of people who have been in situations where a gun would have helped them a whole lot.  A gun doesn't make u a criminal anymore than it makes u a good guy.  You are your own man, if you are a decent responsible person who accepts the huge responsibility of carrying you have made the right choice.  I'm not a cop, I went through a lot crap to get my permit.  I can't imagine not having my permit, it's kept me safe on two separate occasions and a criminal I am not.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I had the same feeling the first few weeks after i got my CC permit. It became normal routine after that. I was constantly checking if I was printing, looking around, being careful not to cause attention. Did my wallyworld walk to the ammo counter.

Now, I just don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#25]
It gets better.

I'm more nervous about printing than anything else. I don't want to have some soccer mom freak out on me.

Then again I had a waitress bump me and feel my gun last night, I just got a smile and wink.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Take a deep breath and relax.
You are not doing anything wrong.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Good input.  I will continue to carry and try to get rid of this feeling.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So, I got my new CCW a couple of months ago, but every time I carry I feel like a fu$%ing criminal.  I think it's  because I am from Illinois and have been beaten into submission for so long by the "man".   I will continue to carry to try to get over this feeling but I am wondering if I am the only one who feels this way and/or have felt this way in the past.   Let the flames begin.
View Quote

When I saw your thread title, my first thought was, "He's got to be in IL!"

Dude, where do you live? Makes me think Crook or Lake County.

I got my CCL in early March. No freakin' way do I feel like a criminal! I think carrying as one way to go "ha ha!" at the libs. I live in Crook County, too. I've carried in Chicago several times (don't go there often) and enjoyed one heck of a good laugh to myself.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit...

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No shit...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit...

Nothing really, it was just a little sarcasm regarding the unusual direction some states are going.  Open carry and smoking pot doesn't really go together (I do realize the Feds consider illegal but I doubt anyone is enforcing the law).  I should have put an image on the end.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Nothing really, it was just a little sarcasm regarding the unusual direction some states are going.  Open carry and smoking pot doesn't really go together (I do realize the Feds consider illegal but I doubt anyone is enforcing the law).  I should have put an image on the end.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit...

I don't drink when I carry.  I wouldn't smoke weed when I carry (if I smoked, and it was legal to do so.)

We have to be careful equating gun rights with the implied right to act irresponsibly.  It sounds like you don't really think that law-abiding armed citizens who smoke pot legally would necessarily smoke when they carry.  At least, I hope you don't.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#32]
You'll slowly get used to it. I was very self conscious when I first started carrying.  Now I'm very comfortable with it. Actually,  now I feel uncomfortable when I'm not.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I first started carrying 4 years ago. My biggest worry was always printing. I no longer give a shit if I print or not. I've gone out sometimes "carrying concealed," which means gun is not visible to public. It sure is making a bulge under the shirt, but noone has ever asked about a very obvious (to me at least), bulge in my shirt.

I work with all liberals at work. A guy came in over the winter to pick up dog food. Holster for his 1911 was sticking out a good 2-3" below his sweatshirt. The light brown holster on blue jeans really stood out to me, I saw he was carrying before he made it in the store. Commented about it to my coworker who talked to him for a good 15 minutes, and the girl who rang him up. Both were horrified that someone with a gun was just in the store. That was the highlight of conversation for a couple days, and the whole time I sat there with my Glock 23 laughing my ass off inside.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#34]
You'll get used to carrying.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are being glib, or an asshole?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Try to replace that feeling with one of being a little more free, and that you now have more options with which to manipulate your immediate environment, should you find yourself in a personal SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit...

pretty much the same as booze and guns, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I feel naked when not carrying .
View Quote

This.  I feel like I've walked out of the house without pants or shoes.  I'm constantly nervous and I feel like every criminal in a 5 mile radius is getting texts saying "3rdpig is unarmed!".
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#39]
In Oregon here, we can open carry, but it's pretty frowned upon by LE in Portland. To that I've only seen one person OC here and it was a guy in a cowboy hat with boots, wagners, cowboy boots and a henry repeater on his shoulder. No one freaked out, in fact most people just had a chuckle and went about their business. Mainly it was his demeanor that put people at ease, he was obviously having fun with it.

To that I only CC here. Granted, that CC may involve OWB and a minor bit of printing which at times in certain situations makes me uncomfortable. Places that have a lot of moms and their kids for the most part. If I know I am going to frequent a place like that I carry IWB. I haven't carried for much time compared to many on this forum, but I can tell you from experience the feeling passes. Soon you realize no one is looking at you and if they are and they notice a slight bulge on your side they are probably carrying too and that's no issue. You just have to remember why you got your CCW in the first place, because you felt it was the best way to protect yourself and your family.

That's how I got through that feeling, I just reminded myself that I got it so I could do just that. I made a commitment to them that as their father and husband I'd do whatever it took to protect them and make them feel comfortable. Thinking about that commitment forced me through the awkward feeling. Now I carry and don't think a thing of it.

Oh and it looks like we may follow Washington and legalize marijuana here too. For the most part it is, if you don't have enough on you to "sell" and you're not driving while high you're for the most part GTG. You may get caught by a rookie cop who is by the book, but most police around here don't think a thing of it as it is.

Should you smoke and carry? well, should you drink and carry? No. So there ya go.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What you are feeling is the guilt they've forced upon you for believing that you have the right to defend yourself.

Carry on, and know that you are in the right, and have the right.
View Quote

+1     I went through the same thing. Carry on it will go away. I dont leave home without it now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In Oregon here, we can open carry, but it's pretty frowned upon by LE in Portland. To that I've only seen one person OC here and it was a guy in a cowboy hat with boots, wagners, cowboy boots and a henry repeater on his shoulder. No one freaked out, in fact most people just had a chuckle and went about their business. Mainly it was his demeanor that put people at ease, he was obviously having fun with it.

To that I only CC here. Granted, that CC may involve OWB and a minor bit of printing which at times in certain situations makes me uncomfortable. Places that have a lot of moms and their kids for the most part. If I know I am going to frequent a place like that I carry IWB. I haven't carried for much time compared to many on this forum, but I can tell you from experience the feeling passes. Soon you realize no one is looking at you and if they are and they notice a slight bulge on your side they are probably carrying too and that's no issue. You just have to remember why you got your CCW in the first place, because you felt it was the best way to protect yourself and your family.

That's how I got through that feeling, I just reminded myself that I got it so I could do just that. I made a commitment to them that as their father and husband I'd do whatever it took to protect them and make them feel comfortable. Thinking about that commitment forced me through the awkward feeling. Now I carry and don't think a thing of it.

Oh and it looks like we may follow Washington and legalize marijuana here too. For the most part it is, if you don't have enough on you to "sell" and you're not driving while high you're for the most part GTG. You may get caught by a rookie cop who is by the book, but most police around here don't think a thing of it as it is.

Should you smoke and carry? well, should you drink and carry? No. So there ya go.
View Quote

Thanks.  I suspect it will just go away like you said.  I was curious as to how many people had the same feeling initially.  I guess some do/did.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#42]
OP, the fact that you were able to obtain a CCW permit, shows your not a criminal. There is no reason to feel like one, because you choose to exercise your rights.

That being said, I remember the first time I carried in public and felt that feeling too. I had the feeling of being part of an exclusive club or something, and that everyone was looking at me and somehow knew. Fact is that 87% of people are oblivious to you carrying a gun. This goes away with time and soon enough you feel naked without your piece on your side.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It gets better.

I'm more nervous about printing than anything else. I don't want to have some soccer mom freak out on me.

Then again I had a waitress bump me and feel my gun last night, I just got a smile and wink.
View Quote

Soccer moms are the poster boys of the situationally unaware.
And that waitress didn't think that was your gun firearm, hence the smile and wink.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And that waitress didn't think that was your gun firearm, hence the smile and wink.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It gets better.

Good point on most of the public being oblivious.

I had my shield at 4 O'clock IWB, I doubt it was mistaken for the other piece I pack
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Take a deep breath and relax.
You are not doing anything wrong.
View Quote

Yup. You're in your adjustment period. You'll become more used to it as time goes on.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Had the same feeling initially, it will subside.

Still feel unnerved every time I have to go into the County Clerks office to have my pistol permit amended though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prints weren't required so if it made you uncomfortable you shoulda skipped that part. Sure it takes a little longer but it wasn't much. I skipped it because I was tired of spending more and more money. Besides the state already has my prints due to hazmat on my cdl.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Prints weren't required so if it made you uncomfortable you shoulda skipped that part. Sure it takes a little longer but it wasn't much. I skipped it because I was tired of spending more and more money. Besides the state already has my prints due to hazmat on my cdl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct about the prints and thought about skipping them.  Another thing that I think causes me to feel this way is that there are so many places were you cannot carry it's almost to the point of being ridiculous, at least in Illinois (but I know the next comment I will hear is you should move then).  I am imagine there are some other states that have much less restrictions.  In IL  you cannot carry in colleges, public transportation, restaurants that have 50% or more of their revenue coming from alcohol, forest preserves in some counties, laser light restrictions/banned in Chicago, many stores, Government facilities.   It really just leaves you (at least in this state) to your car, a handful of stores and restaurants.  I'm not looking for sympathy and I got my license knowing this while taking the classes.  I'm just trying to explain why I may feel the way I do.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Dude, I'm NW suburban Crook County and the only places I have to.disarm are.work and the post office. Anywhere else I.go about my usual business, I'm.armed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had the same feeling the first few weeks after i got my CC permit. It became normal routine after that. I was constantly checking if I was printing, looking around, being careful not to cause attention. Did my wallyworld walk to the ammo counter.

Now, I just don't give a fuck.
View Quote

I was totally paranoid of printing when I started carrying. Carrying openly is totally legal in AK, and concealed carry is  fine as well , but printing can(if cop wants to be a dick) be construed as brandishing and while it wont likely stick in court, you aint going to beat the ride to jail. (AK CCW class requires a 2 hour Q&A with a cop). get a quality holster, get a quality CCW gun, stop worrying.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top