Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2014 12:19:55 AM EDT
Does anyone use an OWB holster to conceal carry ?  If so what firearm / holster option ?  Also what manner of dress works the best?  Feel like it would make printing an issue.    Really don't like IWB for a variety of reasons, primarily due to comfort.   I also dislike not being able to see the firearm when re holstering.  Really been considering carrying my shield in an OWB holster with a cover garment, just need to find one to try out before committing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 1:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure, in the winter time I CC in an OWB when the mood strikes me.

The trick is to get a holster that rides 'high and tight.'

Like this one; got it in April and was able to wear it a few times before the weather warmed up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 3:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry OWB 99.9% of the time.
A G19 in a Crown Holster kydex with a Wilderness instructors 5 stitch or DM Bullard Combat if Im feeling like leather.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 5:11:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not all that big of a dude and I carry a full size M&P9 in a ZCS Felon kydex holster. I just throw a patterned, unbuttoned work shirt on when I'm heading out and the gun disappears.

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Florida and carry OWB 95% of the time.  Glock 19 in a Raven holster.  I cover with an untucked shirt with no problem.  The key to not printing is 1) the gun must be pulled tight to the body.  This is done with the right holster / belt loop combination, a good belt, and the right position on the body.  2) the right shirt cut and material.  Op you have to experiment with all of these factors, but it is possible and a whole lot more comfortable than IWB.  FYI, no need to buy expensive "tactical" or "carry" shirts, I've found some of the best concealment shirts cost $15 at various discount clothing stores.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I do both. Agree with above. Good belt is possibly as or more important than the holster.  Button down Columbia style shirts are your friend.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does anyone use an OWB holster to conceal carry ?  If so what firearm / holster option ?  Also what manner of dress works the best?  Feel like it would make printing an issue.    Really don't like IWB for a variety of reasons, primarily due to comfort.   I also dislike not being able to see the firearm when re holstering.  Really been considering carrying my shield in an OWB holster with a cover garment, just need to find one to try out before committing.
View Quote

You must be planning on drawing your weapon a lot
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Raven Phantom for Glock 19 with x300 and winged belt loops at my 3 o'clock. Extremely comfortable and concealable with the right clothes, otherwise I carry appendix with Raven VG2.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You thinking he shouldn't be all that into practice sessions ?
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]
If my shirt is baggy enough I'll use my crown owb holster for my g19.  Sometimes when I really didn't care about printing I'd use it as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I do sometimes, just need a Baggie shirt.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:24:24 AM EDT
[#11]
My usual carry method is pocket carry, but when I'm not carrying thusly, I carry a G19 with Inforce APL in a KT-Mech Defender Kydex holster.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, like you, I don't like IWB.  IWB is prolly THE single most popular option, though.
But basically the principal is the same in that either way you need "shirt-tail out" clothing, just that with OWB, the shirt needs to be a couple of inches longer.  With IWB, you can get away with "T" shirt out, but I don't like that look and it won't work in my line of work anyway.
So, wear longer shirt tails; like guayabera shirts, or sports jackets, or longer vests.  Hawaiian shirts have shorter tails and either work, or don't, depending upon the specific shirt.
For guayaberas and Hawaiians, check out: RustyZipper.com.  They have tons of vintage shirts, some of them are pretty cool.

Regarding the handgun; I have a G26 which works well because the muzzle does not protrude below the holster.  I have a Galco Concealment Holster for it which is very compact; not very much holster below the belt line.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#13]
RCS Phantom with a G19 when I OWB. Printing is not an issue and most people wouldn't notice anyways.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#14]
High and tight riding holster is about as concealable as a IWB holster.  I always OWB carry my G19 witha TLR3 in winter because it gets dark early in MT and in summer like now I usually ditch the light and carry IWB when I only want to wear a t-shirt with shorts or pants.  But normally I'll carry OWB with an untucked patterned button up shirt that I can draw and shoot in about 1 - 1.5 seconds.  Being rotund like I am, printing is no issue..and if it is and people in town where I live see it, nobody cares.  I use a wilderness belt with just the heavy stitching and a home made holster from a friend in the business.

My draw with a jacket on is barely faster than my draw under a shirt:
http://youtu.be/7IMz2XFBgBw
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:10:23 AM EDT
[#15]

I use a Kirkpatrick Compact Under Cover for my CZ Compact.

(Stock pics)

I keeps the gun close enough to my body that it's very hard to spot and I really like the flap that protects your side.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I just ordered a RCS with a couple different attachments. I always carry IWB but want to try something OWB
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I do both. Agree with above. Good belt is possibly as or more important than the holster.  Button down Columbia style shirts are your friend.
View Quote

This is the truth, Columbia Sportswear button down shirts are without a doubt the best shirts for CC I've ever used.  If you're near a Columbia outlet, they're on sale pretty much all the time.  They also last forever.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just ordered a RCS with a couple different attachments. I always carry IWB but want to try something OWB
View Quote

It's a good holster, I have one for my M&P and like it. I don't have the IWB clips anymore, but OWB is really nice.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I carry either a Glock 23, Glock 27, M&P9c, or M&P45 fullsize, all in Bravo Concealment kydex holsters, OWB.  I always wear a button up shirt unbuttoned, and they disappear nicely.
For an example:
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#20]
First off....no one notices printing. Only you. You could open carry and 98% of the population would still not notice.

I OWB a Glock 19 in DM Bullard leather with a single or double DM Bullard mag carrier on the other hip. 3 and 9 oclock. Works fine as long as the holster is new and in good condition. I have ordered a couple Kydex holsters recently and will be testing them out but I expect that my results will be generally the same. I will convert to Kydex probably. I have sported the Bullard gear everyday for a year now in somewhat rough conditions. I do not like how leather collapses over time. Holster opening closes to a degree. Make you eventually have to kind of open the holster with either your other hand or wiggle the barrel in to introduce the pistol to a certain degree and that whole concept means the holster has failed if you are having to do that. Plus I am starting to be aware that some leather holsters run the risk of touching the trigger when holstering when they are collapsed like this. All bad signs.

I IWB a Glock 19 and 26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. If you have pants that are 4" - 5" larger than your actual waste size, you can wear a IWB holster and mag carrier just as comfortably as OWB.

The MOST important variable is a GOOD BELT. I thought this was BS when I read it UNTIL I BOUGHT A GOOD BELT. Thick leather and width matched to the holster. MUCH more comfortable and VERY stable.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I disagree with the statement that 98 percent of the population will not notice.  Never underestimate what a bored New York house wife is capable of in a public setting.

Decided I'm going to start making my own holsters.  Once I gather enough info ill give an OWB holster a shot.  I cannot reliablly draw from the 4-5 o clock posisition due to a shoulder injury.  Got a AIWB holster yesterday,  that may be an option for carrying my H&K P2000sk but I'm worried about shooting myself when drawing.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here but I hardly ever go IWB. Raven style holster. Areas ranger belt. Full size 1911 with TLR1. Reload in raven mag holder. Everyday.  Lately I have been caring a M&P with a RMR  on top the same way.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry OWB usually a S&W M&P .45 ACP in a Galco Combat Master open top leather holster, it is solid IMHO.  I am 6'00 195lbs slender build and I usually wear shorts, flip flops, a t shirt as an undershirt and either a collard shirt or another t shirt (XL) over that and I'm good.  My wife asks quite often, especially when some shady person(s) or events may be going around us/where we may be at if I am "packing".  If she can't tell I know most untrained persons usually can't.  I hope this helps.  Edited sentence structure.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#24]
These are the three I carry most often. They are all fairly high and tight and conceal well with a work shirt or light jacket. The LCR in particular is so incredibly light that I favor it over the others most of the time.

Glock 27 in a Bianchi holster:

Ruger LCR in a Desantis:

Kahr CW 45 in a Mitch Rosen:

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Just got my DM Bullard BTB Holster today

Fits nice so far. I absolutely hate IWB too..

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#26]

I carry a Sig229 in a Raven OWB every day.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

M&P 9 FS (4.25") in a Raven Concealment.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Everyday a Glock 19 in a mk custom kydex OWB holster. Just wear a loose fitting T shirt or polo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I carry OWB 100% of the time. Either a Sig 2022 or a P30 in a kydex holster and an Ares Aegis belt. Button down shirt with the bottom button undone. I'm in retail and talk to lots of people every day, and even on a ladder reaching up not one person notices.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I carry OWB 100% of the time. Either a Sig 2022 or a P30 in a kydex holster and an Ares Aegis belt. Button down shirt with the bottom button undone. I'm in retail and talk to lots of people every day, and even on a ladder reaching up not one person notices.
View Quote

I agree.  I don't carry IWB after discovering kydex OWB holsters.  Carry a G23 or 22 easily and am not a large person at all.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Don Hume 721OT is an awesome option at around $50.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This exactly.
NOONE notices.
Who walks around looking closely for bulges that might be a gun?
NOONE.
The only time I worry about anyone noticing if I am carrying is when getting hugged. And I have learned to lock my right elbow down over my gun and against my side and "short arm" hug / block and hug with my left.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Guys using Ravens, are you using the standard OWB loops or their pancake wings?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I used the RCS pancake wings for a long while but found that over the course of the day it pushed the muzzle of my G26 in just the right spot on my ass cheek that I got a weird pain there. So I went back to the belt loops which IMHO conceal just fine and no more pains.

Summer time I carry IWB though, unless I feel like sporting a cover garment that does more than a t-shirt can
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I carried a M&P9 fullsize OWB in a Raven holster for a long time
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Standard
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Standard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard

I just got a raven and some different mount options (standard, pancake wings, qms snaps), I have not figured exactly how I will leave it. So far I like the standard loops better, still playing with options as I have not tried the qms quick snaps yet
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I always wonder how many people carry OWB and think they aren't printing when they are.

I prefer kydex and the closest fitting OWB kydex holster I have used is JM Custom.

I didn't exactly care for IWB either, but it can be pretty comfortable when you get used to it. A good hybrid holster is surprisingly comfortable (kydex shell on leather back).
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I always wonder how many people carry OWB and think they aren't printing when they are.

I prefer kydex and the closest fitting OWB kydex holster I have used is JM Custom.

I didn't exactly care for IWB either, but it can be pretty comfortable when you get used to it. A good hybrid holster is surprisingly comfortable (kydex shell on leather back).
View Quote

There will always be printing with OWB unless you're wearing a parka. However, if the print is indiscernible to what it actually is then it doesn't really matter. Even if the entire grip is printing under a shirt, as long as the average passerby can't see the outline of the slide/trigger then they'll never think gun. The only people who would are probably carrying too and to that it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There will always be printing with OWB unless you're wearing a parka. However, if the print is indiscernible to what it actually is then it doesn't really matter. Even if the entire grip is printing under a shirt, as long as the average passerby can't see the outline of the slide/trigger then they'll never think gun. The only people who would are probably carrying too and to that it doesn't matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree, a close-fitting high-ride OWB worn under a jacket or flannel-type overshirt doesn't have to print at all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I just got a raven and some different mount options (standard, pancake wings, qms snaps), I have not figured exactly how I will leave it. So far I like the standard loops better, still playing with options as I have not tried the qms quick snaps yet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard

Your really going to love that holster.
It makes the gun just disappear.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard

are you guys going straight drop or the 10 or 15degree cant?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard

10 degree at 3:30
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Plus one for the Raven Phantom. I have the quick snaps for OWB and IWB with G19 or G26.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Raven Phantom for Glock 19 with x300 and winged belt loops at my 3 o'clock. Extremely comfortable and concealable with the right clothes, otherwise I carry appendix with Raven VG2.
View Quote

I may have to try one for my P30S.  I love packing IWB AND OWB at 3:00

What is the ride height ?  I don't like it high and could live with medium.  also like straight drop / zero cant.

Right now Im using a  custom IWB-L that  Tony / JM made me its bsed on his V3 but with my options.( full guard, zero cant, pull dot loops , low ride.)
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I carry either a Glock 23, Glock 27, M&P9c, or M&P45 fullsize, all in Bravo Concealment kydex holsters, OWB.  I always wear a button up shirt unbuttoned, and they disappear nicely.
For an example:
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r210/ryan_jarvis3/Glock/IMG_0366_zps66f57f63.jpg
View Quote

I use to do that when I lived inIN.
now here in SWF its Tshirt & cargo`s shorts  or in Jan/Feb I may wear long sleeve shirt
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#47]
XD-9 sub compact in a Comp Tac paddle holster.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standard

10 degrees and I carry at 2:30
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What is the ride height ?  I don't like it high and could live with medium.  also like straight drop / zero cant.

Right now Im using a  custom IWB-L that  Tony / JM made me its bsed on his V3 but with my options.( full guard, zero cant, pull dot loops , low ride.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont have a lot of experience with different holsters but I would have to classify the Raven as riding pretty high.
To me that is what helps the gun really disappear. It's not so high though as to cause any problems on the draw even when pulling a garmet out of the way.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#50]
I couldn't get used to a IWB holster so I switched to OWB. Right now I'm carrying my P320FS in a KT Mech paddle holster, no cant, and at the 9-9:30 position(left handed). In the summer I wear a loose fitting button down short sleeve flannel pattern shirt and the only time the gun is really noticable is when I bend over to pick something up. In the winter I wear a tucked in shirt with a jacket over everything.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top