Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2014 11:14:37 AM EDT
Now that a couple days has passed and the jitters are gone I'll share my concealed carry story. Only had to present my pistol once in the three years I've been carrying. At a four way stop some twat in a Prius goes out of turn and I give him the beep and I had to swerve around him. 4 or 5 miles down the one way road we get to a four way stop with a lot of cars in line near a bunch of construction, so there's a jersey wall on one side and an extended shoulder on the other.

Prius driver pulls up beside me on the shoulder and starts yelling something about how I can shuv it up my ass and other BS. I try to de-escalate and apologize saying it was my mistake ect ect.
He then gets more angry, shouts some more profanities and pulls up infront of me blocking me in (nowhere to go at this point with the jersey wall on the other side) at which point he starts fishing in his back seat for something and opens the door with a baseball bat.

NOPE.jpg.. As he rounded the front of his car and looked up at a G19 stuck out the window leveled at him all he said "oh...shit!" and quickly put his fatass in full reverse and sped off.
Really happy the guy had the since to leave and wasn't on any drugs or anything that would make him not able to think straight.

I'm always learning, so anyone have any advice on what I could have/should have done differently?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I been carrying for 5 years now and never had to even think about pulling my gun. Thankfully.
When in traffic I never use the horn or anything unless it is to avoid an immediate accident. Like someone swerving into my lane. It tends to keep the hot heads at bay if you dont piss them off more. But Overall I am pretty sure I would of done the same as you. Just no glock. I got my XDs
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Good draw.  Glad you are ok.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad that everything turned out OK.
Did you call the police to tell then what happen?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you report to the cops?  If not, and he reports being threatened by a man with a gun, you may be in for a rough ride.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You left out the part about calling the cops.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Ya I really should have called sooner, I honestly didn't even think about it until later that day after we got home the nerves had settled. Called and gave a statement about what happened, in the moment I didn't think to get the guys plate # or anything so I just gave the location and said what happened. Haven't heard a thing since so I'm guessing I got lucky and no one else called it in and reported it. Good reminder that my next purchase needs to be a decent dashcam though, that would have had his plate number and been video evidence of everything.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had two instances and I have been carrying since 1994, one i just raised my shirt and the two Hispanics changed their mind and turned around and left. The second time a guy yanked open my truck door, him and his friend attempting to start shit....they stopped immediately.  Lucky for me a friend of mine was in the same parking lot and he is a retired officer...call the po po and let them know. Guy who yanked door open tried to lie about it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Should have notified the police afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#9]
In before "brandishing" crowd.

One handed or two handed grip outside the window??? Approximate range???

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck em.

One handed or two handed grip outside the window??? Approximate range???

Im a lefty so a two handed grip out the window was pretty easy, probably 15 yards from where he rounded the hood of his car.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a moron in OKC get pissed at me for something and hit my car with a biscuit Friday while we were driving 70 mph.  I'm not sure what he was yelling about but I gave him a thumbs up and he drove off pissed. OP, I'm glad it worked out for you. There are some seriously crazy people out there, be careful.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Good thing to be in VA and not in MD or any of the other no-carry states around us.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
BTDT.  Pretty pathetic that these fake hardasses talk a lot of shit but wet their pants at the sight of a gun barrel.

They probably go around abusing other people who have no recourse but to either be assaulted or have their property damaged. Scum.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Dash cam.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad you're ok

Got this and it's great
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now that a couple days has passed and the jitters are gone I'll share my concealed carry story. Only had to present my pistol once in the three years I've been carrying. At a four way stop some twat in a Prius goes out of turn and I give him the beep and I had to swerve around him. 4 or 5 miles down the one way road we get to a four way stop with a lot of cars in line near a bunch of construction, so there's a jersey wall on one side and an extended shoulder on the other.

Prius driver pulls up beside me on the shoulder and starts yelling something about how I can shuv it up my ass and other BS. I try to de-escalate and apologize saying it was my mistake ect ect.
He then gets more angry, shouts some more profanities and pulls up infront of me blocking me in (nowhere to go at this point with the jersey wall on the other side) at which point he starts fishing in his back seat for something and opens the door with a baseball bat.

NOPE.jpg.. As he rounded the front of his car and looked up at a G19 stuck out the window leveled at him all he said "oh...shit!" and quickly put his fatass in full reverse and sped off.
Really happy the guy had the since to leave and wasn't on any drugs or anything that would make him not able to think straight.

I'm always learning, so anyone have any advice on what I could have/should have done differently?
View Quote

Just a honk?  A quick blip or a lay on the horn?  Any hand gestures,  finger waving, or other?  
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
OP you did just fine.  If you ever do have a shoot, collect your brass afterwards and keep your mouth shut

Much cheaper than going to court
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Question, do you call 911 and report it & what do you say and how much?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be on the phone with 911 the minute he got out of his car.  I would tell them exactly what I was seeing and let them know I had a sidearm to defend myself if the police were too slow to arrive.  Going to the gun first and never even considering calling 911 might make it appear that you're trigger happy to a jury, if it ever got that far.  It also helps if the yahoo with the anger issues calls the cops on you with a different story- you have the 911 recording on your side.

Protecting yourself is fine, but if you at least try to call "the proper authorities" it looks better.  In the OP's case, he started it.  People do stupid stuff but antagonizing the other driver wasn't necessary.  It's something I need to do better myself!  My Jeep and my M1009 both have Whelen police sirens installed, with the siren tones disabled.  So I basically have an air-horn with TWO 100 watt outputs and two speakers.  So it's end-of-the-world loud.  It's very tempting to use that horn to wake up bad drivers.....
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:48:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Glad you're ok

Got this and it's great
View Quote

I got that one as well.  I got the counterfeit one from Zeagoo bait-n-switch experts.

Check your files when you put them on your computer- are they .mov format or .avi format?  The .avi ones are the fakes.  Amazon refunded my money so I got it for free....for as long as it lasts.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Had the same thing happen except the guy didn't have a weapon.

I was behind him at a red light.
he got out  and tried to open my car door ( locked) , then he started pounding on my door /window that he was going to beat my ass. I just pulled my pistol and rest it on my lap.
He saw it and got back in his car and drove off.

not bad considering I held a ccw permit since 1983
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Justified draw. Glad you're OK, OP.

Always be the first to call the police in a situation like that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Never had to draw, but my current mindset (and I may be wrong) is to never invite the law into your life, and never give statements etc. (This is advice that has been given to me from LEOs that work in my agency)

In this and most situations the only way to prove that you did indeed pull a gun, which at the very least is assault with a deadly weapon, would be your statement. Sooo (once again having never been presented with this sort of situation) I'd have to agree with the "pick up your casings and STFU/GTFO" crowd
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had a moron in OKC get pissed at me for something and hit my car with a biscuit Friday while we were driving 70 mph.  I'm not sure what he was yelling about but I gave him a thumbs up and he drove off pissed. OP, I'm glad it worked out for you. There are some seriously crazy people out there, be careful.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Biscuit Attack  Honey, duck, that hot head's got a bread product.

Smiling and waving w/ a Shit Eating Grin makes some people wanta stroke out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

OP you did just fine.  If you ever do have a shoot, collect your brass afterwards and keep your mouth shut

View Quote
20 grand and a week in jail, judgement was self defense of a third party. So if you save someone it will still cost you, well maybe

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I hope I never have to draw my gun against a person again. Not working in a liquor store or a gas station anymore, I'm pretty sure that drastically dropped the possibility.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#27]

I wear gloves and wipe all my defence carrie ammo down with alcohol as i load my mags, its hard to find those cases day or night.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
20 grand and a week in jail, judgement was self defense of a third party. So if you save someone it will still cost you, well maybe  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should have filed suit against the department/city/county for reimbursement of your legal fees.

Quoted:
Never had to draw, but my current mindset (and I may be wrong) is to never invite the law into your life, and never give statements etc. (This is advice that has been given to me from LEOs that work in my agency)

In this and most situations the only way to prove that you did indeed pull a gun, which at the very least is assault with a deadly weapon, would be your statement. Sooo (once again having never been presented with this sort of situation) I'd have to agree with the "pick up your casings and STFU/GTFO" crowd

The problem with never giving a statement is, articulation is everything. Saying nothing = immediate ride to jail over here. You may beat the charges in court because you didn't self incriminate/give enough evidence against you. Or you may get screwed royally because once you tell your story the judge/jury thinks your full of it for not notifying the police/refusing to speak. Either way its going to be an expensive experience.

If you know how to articulate the shooting your going home with no legal fees/charges.

Quoted:

Yes. But if you get caught you'll probably get convicted of second degree murder.

I know of three cases where someone tried that and got caught. Every single time they ended up going to prison for second degree murder. Oddly enough if they'd have dialed 911 and told their story they wouldn't have even been charged with a crime.

The problem is they tried to cover it up. When they tell their story "He tried to rob me." or whatever the stories were, nobody believes them because they tried to cover it up. They think it was a drug deal gone bad, etc. Essentially all the police/judge/jury see's is someone who just smoked someone else then started lying about circumstances/trying to cover it up.

Blows my mind how many people carry a gun/are willing to use a gun without even bothering to learn the law or how to articulate the use of that gun should they need to.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top