Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:56:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I always told myself I would never leave home without a knife.

Then one day I grew up. Went to school in a rough part of town for a year. Never had an encounter where I needed it then, but several where I wish I had it just in case.

Since then, not a day goes by where I feel insecure anywhere. Glad I do, glad I've never used it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Because Las Vegas is going to shit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#3]
When did I start carrying legal, 2009 first got my CCW.  How long have I been carrying in some fashion, 20 Years.  Why I carry, is to protect my wife,kids and grandkids and my country and way of life if need be.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The Christian/Newsom murders were my catalyst for gun ownership and carry.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Moved to an area where there is a risk of abduction for ransom. It is amazing when I had to really look at my habits and schedule how truly vulnerable we all are to professional criminal groups. I decided that if it happens I would rather start shooting then risk being at their mercy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Always had been into guns....getting more security concious as get older...tipping point was getting boxed in a Micky D's several years ago  by a carload of gangbangers who wanted trouble.   Wife and I in car and I had nothing with me.....had nothing except harsh language.  Mind changing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I turned 21 and since we do live in a free country...mostly...and I live in a mostly free state
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The near total breakdown of the moral fiber of certain elements of society. I do not wish to be anyone's victim or soft target as I age so I take the step necessary to protect me and mine from the wolves.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Christian/Newsom murders were my catalyst for gun ownership and carry.
View Quote

I came in here to say exactly this. I was a student at the time at UT.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I knew I was going to get my CCW the moment I relocated from the republic of NJ to the Sunshine State, 20 years ago. I'll never live in a state that doesn't recognize our God given right to protect my family and myself.

Peace
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my Florida CCW permit after Hurricane Andrew.  Carried my firearm when making bank deposits for the retail business I managed, but seldom carried otherwise.  Walked into a strong-arm robbery one night and got blind-sided.  Got the shit kicked out of me by two ghetto thugs before drawing my 1911 and holding them at gunpoint until police arrived.    (Cops were amazingly supportive, wanted to know why I hadn't shot the thugs.).  Carried ever since.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#12]
BHO reelected
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Planet of the apes
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I was 16 and half just about to turn 17 when sandy hook happened. Over a year and half me and my father bought AR parts little by little and I ended up with a medium to high end AR15 when I turned 18. Oddly enough I havent shot it yet. I got my ccw 2 months ago after I graduated highschool. I just thought it was my duty to protect myself, and my fellow citizens. Im just a regular guy that believes I am supposed to serve my community, even if they dont know it. I prefer it to be that way too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]
No single incident influenced me.
I had always had a pistol in my vehicle and it was something almost no judge would prosecute you for in our state. There was no legal way to carry concealed yet all the judges did so they had issues convicting others of the same crime. Once the CCDW law passed, it was made clear they were now going to prosecute and convict for unlicensed CC. I got my CCDW license in the first year it was available but rarely carried on my person.

Over the years it has become clear to me that nasty people can do bad things at any place and any time. For that reason I have had a weapon on my person nearly all waking moments for years now and I cannot see this changing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I've always considered it my right, since I can remember thinking about rights.  What initiated my starting to carry was my county DA announcing he felt WI's law banning concealed carry was unconstitutional and he would not prosecute CCW cases in absence of other criminal activity.  So I carried for 2 years before WI had concealed carry.  I had an MN permit during that time, but rarely went to MN.

Maybe a little more than it's my right.  Or more important than it's my right, the realization that it's my responsibility to defend myself, no one elses.  My wife, my family, my home, it's my responsibility.  Carrying a concealed handgun assures me that were someone to accost me or mine, I will not be defenseless.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because the world is going to shit.
View Quote

Fixed for ya.

My story is this.

About 10 years ago a gentleman and his family (wife and two daughters) were washing the family van at a car wash just north of where I work. The man was out of the van washing it and 4 teenage kids from the next stall over proceeded to the stall the van was in and a verbal altercation ensued. (not sure what about). Shortly after the teenagers left the elder gentlemans stall, they returned with a .22 caliber pistol and shot the man dead right there in front of his wife and daughters.

From the moment I heard about that incident I said i would always rather have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

I dont even go down to check my mail without a firearm. (community mailbox, maybe 60 yards from my front door.) And I live in a very respectable middle class neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I moved to a state in which I can carry.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Found myself keeping a loaded handgun in the car because of to many stories of how people no longer value the life of others and I didn't want to get in any trouble for having a loaded gun. As of 7-1-2014 the Tn. law has been changed to allow even non ccw holders to have a loaded weapon in their car.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Not any one incident at all. Mostly because the police can't be there when the shit hits the fan, and I don't want to be the one they are carting off to the morgue.  Thugs are generally cowards who travel in packs, and I don't care how bad ass you think you are, a 4 on 1 fight isn't going to go your way.  My Glock goes on every morning when my pants go on, it stays on until I'm crawling into bed.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#21]
The Clinton presidency.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I have no real excuse for not getting my CCW yet other than the fact that it's very expensive in DE (around $400) and very time consuming. However, once the Air Force finally comes out with the LEOSA credentials for us, you bet that I will be carrying every day. I refuse to entrust my personal security to anyone else, especially considering the possibility of running into someone I've dealt with in an official capacity while off base and unarmed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Better late than never.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Because I can.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top