Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2014 1:57:23 PM EDT

At the risk of getting torched, I submit the question above.  I know that anything can happen anywhere and at any time, but was just curious as to what people thought.  I personally left out Bars and Schools and Stadiums because they are not allowed CCW (at least in my state).
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

At the risk of getting torched, I submit the question above.  I know that anything can happen anywhere and at any time, but was just curious as to what people thought.  I personally left out Bars and Schools and Stadiums because they are not allowed CCW (at least in my state).
View Quote
where ever I am at the moment

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Tom Givens statistics point to shopping mall (or other) parking lots.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tom Givens statistics point to shopping mall (or other) parking lots.
View Quote

This doesnt surprise me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Bad areas of town, regardless of venue.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a great question. I would like to pick multiple answers, but went with on the road.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess it depends on if you are more afraid of an active mass shooter situation or armed robbery, carjacking, etc.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I chose 'on the road' because I defined that as all-encompassing.  Like my way to an from a restaurant.  To and from the convenience store.  To and from the movie theatre.  To me that includes the parking lots.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, because it would happen when you least expect it to happen.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I chose 'on the road' because I defined that as all-encompassing.  Like my way to an from a restaurant.  To and from the convenience store.  To and from the movie theatre.  To me that includes the parking lots.
View Quote

I choose on the road b/c an ARFCOM member is more likely to be killed in a car accident than a shooting.  We're mostly white males who aren't in the recreational pharmaceutical industry.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I voted other because it will be a place I let my guard down . Some place I have been before and feel comfortable with.

I am always on high alert if I find myself in the Hood for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I kinda see the 24 hour store and a gas station as one in the same.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I chose the 24 hour store.  I don't frequent these very often, but if I did I'd say that'd be the most likely place for something to happen due to the time/opportunity.  Also, the answer to this question is probably different for different people because of their location as well.

With that said, had the question been "where do I feel may be more dangerous for my family?"  I would have probably answered church.  Not because I think something is going to happen, but more so because of the possibility that if something did happen my children (in the nursery) would most likely be the first opportunity that person has due to its location in the building.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. I've had bad experiences at both in Southern California
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Where ever large groups of people are. Malls are the worst.

I was almost car jacked in a mall parking lot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Other: parking lot.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Parking lots.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Parking lots.
View Quote

I don't know why I didn't think of parking lots, but it makes a lot of sense.  I've never had a bad experience anywhere and hopefully never will.  I guess I always thought of parking lots as more of a place only women get attacked (yes, I know there are a lot/some women on this forum).   Enlightening input though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to go with parking lots also.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Where ever you drop your guard.

CD
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad stopped an armed robbery from taking place at a convenience store in a small town in Arizona. We were sitting on their porch enjoying a beverage and noticed a guy milling around in the dark off to the side of the building and got in the car and moved it across the road and watched him. Sure enough, after we left he went inside and was in the process of having the clerk empty to register. Something about having the business end of a 686 in his ear made him quickly change his mind about robbing the place.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
For me, I'd say parking lots and on the road. I work on base, so I leave my firearm at home. As for parking lots, I was waiting in a best buy parking lot awhile back and someone walked by my truck and lifted my passenger side door handle and kept on going.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I guess it depends on if you are more afraid of an active mass shooter situation or armed robbery, carjacking, etc.
View Quote

Good point, but active mass shooter situations are very, very, rare.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I carry in all the places listed as well as some not listed.  I picked Gas Stations since I'm in those more frequently than any of the other places mentioned in the poll.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Most of my problems have been on the street, either in the car or on foot.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#25]
If I knew the answer to that question, I'd stop carrying a gun and just not go there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

There's no such thing as a crime-free zone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This. Most of my problems have been on the street, either in the car or on foot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely and based on the poll results there are a few places I won't go to any longer unless I absolutely have to and will avoid them at night if possible.  EDIT: Meant to quote the person one above.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I understand but there seems to be certain areas where it is more likely and those are the areas I will try to avoid.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#29]
On the road.
I am seeing more anger and hostility directed at people (including myself) during my daily commute in and out of Philadelphia on I-95.  People are more economically stressed.  And there is an anonymity in being in a car that brings out bad behavior in people who "normally" would not be any threat to anyone.....and then their anger can spiral out of control....road rage.  
This is THE reason I decided to get my CCW license.  I cannot choose to not drive to work.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That is a great question. I would like to pick multiple answers, but went with on the road.
View Quote

Me too, I'm out in the sticks off a lonely hwy
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I knew the answer to that question, I'd stop carrying a gun and just not go there.
View Quote

BINGO!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Parking lots for me too, or when I'm driving.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#33]
As far as a risk assessment and how it would apply to me, I would say these are the most dangerous ingredients:
1. No handguns allowed (assuming I'm in compliance)
2. No LE present
3. Large gathering with channelized or restricted egress (like a movie theater- which has the added problem of low light)
4. "dangerous" area
5. some place where there is an item desired by criminals ($, drugs, etc)- this is why I like to be where I can see the door, and be away from the cash register but close to an alternate egress like a window.
The more factors present, the greater the risk. Avoidance is key. This begins with avoiding places that seem dangerous and those that require me to forfeit my rights.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. Would also add public transportation, though I don't personally use it much.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As far as a risk assessment and how it would apply to me, I would say these are the most dangerous ingredients:
1. No handguns allowed (assuming I'm in compliance)
2. No LE present
3. Large gathering with channelized or restricted egress (like a movie theater- which has the added problem of low light)
4. "dangerous" area
5. some place where there is an item desired by criminals ($, drugs, etc)- this is why I like to be where I can see the door, and be away from the cash register but close to an alternate egress like a window.
The more factors present, the greater the risk. Avoidance is key. This begins with avoiding places that seem dangerous and those that require me to forfeit my rights.
View Quote

I totally agree regarding avoidance.  That's part of my reason for the post/poll.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Same here. Would also add public transportation, though I don't personally use it much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't "think" it's legal to carry using public transportation in my state.  Is it legal in others?  It should be!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.  Which, utilizing those two situations, pretty much the whole damn list.  Which is why I carry everywhere I go.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#38]
For violence not specifically targeted towards me (Like a mass shooting) I would say any large festival / musical venue, or Walmart after 10PM

Violence towards me specifically ?  A parking lot at night in the city, or when hiking.  Any shitty situation I've ever encountered always happens after 9pm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top