User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If my pants are on so is at least one of my sidearms (lcp plus PJ's=thunder wear). Otherwise, there is a black rifle within arms reach

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#3]
When home - MP9 FS w/ TLR 3 OWB

When out - MP9FS  w/TLR# AIWB w/ 3x 20 rd spare mags, 642 in pocket.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Yup.  I generally already carried at home, this reinforced it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I put it on when I wake up and take it off when I go to bed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am very glad that my situation didn't go to the level yours did.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it legal to carry concealed or to open carry in all or most states in your home (with or without a CCW permit)?  Is there an exception in state firearms laws re carrying in your home, garage, and yard?

Doesn't California and perhaps a few other states require that guns in the home are normally locked up?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#9]
In NC it is legal to OC in most places (few restrictions) and have to have a CWP to carry off premises.  You can carry concealed on your own property without a CWP.

CD
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Always.  And never off body.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My Shield 9mm stays on me until my pants come off and my pajamas go on. Even then, it is nearby or the G41 comes out. Always a gun nearby.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I had kind of slacked off carrying at home, but reading this thread I have started carring the LCP in the pocket again  
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Against corporate policy to have weapons on premises.

And I have weapons cached through out my apartment, starting in the kitchen and going back to my bedroom. I only carry when I leave the house for someplace that isnt work, which isn't all that common
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I can't carry at work (college campus)

However, I do carry at home and whenever I leave the house. There is just something about having a stop gap measure between something happening and having to get a shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:27:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I read an article that states that according to the uniform crime report, 48% of people are attacked in their homes while 52% are attacked outside of their home/dwelling.  I don't know to what severity they consider an attack but it said that some sort of violence was used.  I believe their point was, you are basically as likely to be attacked in your home as you are out.  Geography and your local crime rates i'm sure matter a lot.  For example in VT I doubt you have the risk of being mugged like you might in a city (VT cities aren't really cities by many peoples standards).  However VT has a heroin epidemic right now so im sure there are a lot of copper pipes being ripped out of walls and simple burglarys happening.  Even if you choose not to own a gun, or not to carry, or to lust leave em locked up, you should at least be aware of the numbers.  

-It seems like everyone on this forum is aware and ready....if only other potential victims of criminals would take an interest in their own self preservation.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I carry all day every day.  I get home at night and keep it on (glock 23, appendix carry) until I go to bed.  There are things that come up unexpectedly like, "Oh honey, can you please go to the store, I forgot....". "Hey neighbor, can you help me chainsaw this tree?". "Hey dad, can you take me to my friends house?"   And you have to do something right then and there, usually without the time to think if you put it up.

So I know it is never your intention, but sometimes it slips your mind.  And sure, we all have a back up somewhere but, to me, that "somewhere" is always too far away for comfort.  

I have a bedside gun (sig 1911) and it never leaves its home.  I get undressed for bed, and it goes to bed with the 1911.  I get up in the morning and get dressed with it.  For me, is is far easier to never have to think about it, than to have to try to remember.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#17]
If I'm dressed I'm armed, PERIOD
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't "carry at home" per se, but a 9mm glock is secreted in every room in the house (no kids) with 2 in the bedroom. These location of each pistol is known to the GF, who is trained in their use (range session quarterly). Gun in hand when answering door per SOP. SERPA holsters available for continuous wear if threat level is "increased", and for "yard carry". "yard carry" is necessary due to numerous feral dogs in area due to douchebags dumping them in woods adjacent to house if for no other reason.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I carried IWB 24/7 while we were out of power for over 2weeks because of Hurricane Charlie.
Also had carbine handy.

I don't carry inside the house but have firearms  in short reach.

Now if I lived on crack street I would.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#20]
At my work, CPL holders created a policy for concealed carry that was reviewed by management and is now in effect. Beforehand, firearms had to be left in our cars. However now, we sign in at the front desk that we are carrying. We are only allowed to have one magazine on our person and there cannot be a round in the chamber, magazine can still be in the mag well. For revolver guys, unfortunately the cylinder has to be empty, but a speedloader can be carried. Although, it took a while getting use to, as I normally carry one in the chamber. This is a nice compromise, much better than having to leave the firearm in the car.

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If my pants are on so is at least one of my sidearms..
View Quote

This. If I'm not in bed or in the shower, I'm carrying a gun. Only exceptions are if I'm going inside a jail or some other rare location-specific reason.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#22]

It's either on me, or next to me if I'm naked.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I actually leave it holstered and with my belt still through my loops when I take my pants off. It sits right by the bed, I can either just grab the pistol or put my pants on and I'm good to go.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This. I actually leave it holstered and with my belt still through my loops when I take my pants off. It sits right by the bed, I can either just grab the pistol or put my pants on and I'm good to go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry in a belly band, so actually, I'm often naked and carrying, come to think of it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#25]
This is an interesting thread. I don't wear clothes at home that permits carrying a gun. I want to be comfortable at home which is 99% gym shorts and t with the sleeves cut off. Why not just have the gun in a easy and quick place in your home while you are lounging?

For instance if you are at home relaxing on a Friday night with your wife or GF or solo watching TV you have a gun on your hip?

Just take it off, get in some relax clothing and have the good next to you on a stand, table, desk, whatever.

I'd rather just pick it up and move it around the house with me then wear the damn thing all night.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Always. Carry. Period.
View Quote

This sounds irrational and unrealistic.

Last week I got fitted for a suit, no carry.

Swimming at the beach, no carry.

Showering, no carry

Sleeping in my bed, no carry.

Went to work, no carry (not allowed, which is almost every business in the private sector)

Going to the gym, no carry

Now granted several of these you could still have a gun in a bag of some type or next to your bed, but personally I don't take a gun in a bag that I'm not 100% going to have eye on at all times (beech, gym, local swimming pool).

To each his own.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:12:32 AM EDT
[#27]
My opinion, do what you want. Don't ask for praise or for an endorsement, If you feel safer carrying at home do it. Nobody on this forum should have any say regarding what you do.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:56:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I for one wear comfortable cloths when I'm at home (basketball shorts and a t-shirt) so carrying on my person is not only impractical but retarded.  

With that said my "house gun" is a P226R/TLR-1 and I just carry it to whatever room I'm occupying at the time. She sits on the end table while I watch TV, on the bar while I cook, night stand while I sleep, ect...

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I for one wear comfortable cloths when I'm at home (basketball shorts and a t-shirt) so carrying on my person is not only impractical but retarded.  

With that said my "house gun" is a P226R/TLR-1 and I just carry it to whatever room I'm occupying at the time. She sits on the end table while I watch TV, on the bar while I cook, night stand while I sleep, ect...
View Quote

You married?

Kids running around?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You married?

Kids running around?
View Quote

No kids yet, but that is a good point for future thought

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You married?

Kids running around?

Good to hear.

When you do have kids runnin' around, carrying on your body won't seem so retarded.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I carry in a belly band, so actually, I'm often naked and carrying, come to think of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't remember what this thread was about anymore.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Only if I have pants on....
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:08:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Excellent link.  

I opened my house door one night, when I was living with a roomate who was male and also has a ccw permit in 2012, it was about 930 on a weeknight.  It was unusual to have anyone knock that late, but we were always friendly with the neighbors on both sides of us and they would stop by randomly so like an idiot I opened the door without thinking.  The guy on the other side was a thin tall white guy, early 20s in a white beater, tattoos and he immediately took a step forward while saying, "wheres erin?".  He was trying to either get into my house, or look through the door way but he just kept manically saying "wheres erin?" I kept saying I don't know who erin is, back up and calm down.  He was big enough while standing in the vestibule hallway type area that a small early 20s girl was standing behind him but several steps back, we didn't have an overhead light, and i hadn't noticed her until now.  She started loudly saying, "I Know shes in there where is she!?" The entire time she stayed back, and more or less parroted what he said.  My roomate was two rooms away, its a straight house without many walls so he saw what was going on, he was standing 15 feet back, in a dark corner, with a loaded AR.  He's not the person I'd pick to back me up in any sort of potentially violent situation, he doesn't train or run drills but he knows how to shoot and he stepped up that night.  
I told the guy I was calling the cops, no one named Erin does or ever did live here, and that he should leave or he will be arrested.  It got aggressive but no more physical then me basically blocking his path and pushing him back.  She never struck me as a threat, just an annoyance.  A barking dog of sorts.  If she had been of the mind and had a weapon she could have dropped me, I was focussed on him.  I had a .38 J frame in my pocket during the entire encounter but they had the drop on me.  They ended up leaving yelling, but left.  I called the cops, after that I went to the neighbors and talked to them and both said someone had knocked on their door but they didn't answer even as the knocking got harder.  
I don't have any evidence these people were a threat, they may have been simple scumbags that were lost.  They may have been drug addicts looking for a simple home invasion.  I did have to put my foot behind the door to stop the guy from entering.  I was only not terrified because of my roomate.  He had tactical advantage and a loaded rifle with the capacity to use it.  
In hindsight I could have become a victim very quickly.  My pocketed revolver might as well not existed if they were ready to use violence, I certainly wasn't.  

Being armed in your home, also means being aware in your home.  I wasn't.  I didn't suffer any consequence.  I won't make that mistake again.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't normally carry IN the house unless something significant were to make me think an increased threat level dictates this. At that point, i would also insure that I'm also fully dressed in "fight-functional" clothing to include the desert boots that live under the bed. Additional (unlikely) levels will start involving things like my war belt, body armor, long gun, and eye & ear protection. Also, there are 5 loaded glocks secreted through the house in places that are out of sight but very accessible, in addition to my CCW shield that usually ends up on the floor by the bed. I do carry when I am outside doing yard work and other chores, but this is mostly due to the feral dogs that shitbags keep dumping in the woods behind where I live. The only times I don't carry a gun (or have one real close) are in places where its a CRIME to do so (I try and avoid these places) or when I'm running- I run in a quiet neighborhood, and when I do I carry a cold steel voyager in the front of my shorts. In the event of the unforseen, the blade and my speed combined are my security.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Of course I carry inside the house. I also carry while out doing yard work and when I "make a quick trip to the store".

The real question is why *wouldn't* you carry inside the house?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't normally carry IN the house unless something significant were to make me think an increased threat level dictates this. At that point, i would also insure that I'm also fully dressed in "fight-functional" clothing to include the desert boots that live under the bed. Additional (unlikely) levels will start involving things like my war belt, body armor, long gun, and eye & ear protection. Also, there are 5 loaded glocks secreted through the house in places that are out of sight but very accessible, in addition to my CCW shield that usually ends up on the floor by the bed. I do carry when I am outside doing yard work and other chores, but this is mostly due to the feral dogs that shitbags keep dumping in the woods behind where I live. The only times I don't carry a gun (or have one real close) are in places where its a CRIME to do so (I try and avoid these places) or when I'm running- I run in a quiet neighborhood, and when I do I carry a cold steel voyager in the front of my shorts. In the event of the unforseen, the blade and my speed combined are my security.
View Quote

Reading the Armed Citizen every month in the NRA mags, most likely place to need your gun is in your home. Preferably on you at the door.

At first I read your post thinking I was in GD and shook my head thinking, 14'er. I keep my Glock on me every moment I'm awake if it's lawful, which for me, is all the time. When I go to bed, I have a .38 revolver I keep under the pillow in a holster.

If I was to take up jogging, I'd probably OC my 637. I would not rely on a knife and my running speed to keep me safe. For me, my knives are a utility tool, and the knives I do carry for defensive purposes are for the unlikely scenario I'm in a situation needing a weapon, and for some reason, I can't access my gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#39]
when we had a house, I carried at home.

we're in an apartment now, gated, all working people, top floor, exposed walkway facing interior courtyard... no shenanigans or crime.
Even so, there are (classy) bars on doors and windows.  I no longer carry at home, but do when taking my garbage down, cause why not.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#40]

pre kids was fun in that regard.  guns stashed EVERYWHERE

Quoted:

You married?

Kids running around?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You married?

Kids running around?

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You married?

Kids running around?

I see your point !
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Came here to post this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't open my door if I don't know the person. We had a knock on the door and my teen son who has been instructed to not run up to the door did so anyway before I could get there. He says it's mary the mother of one of  his friends. I open the door and it's not mary but some woman begging for money for her special needs daughter running some "race". By now my daughter is behind me and I told her sorry I don't have any cash. My daughter says I have 20 dollars in my room!. I turn and tell her we need that money for dinner. I then said I'm sorry and closed the door. I have instructed my kids several times about this. We all failed miserably .we had a long long talk and I will never take anyone's word about who is at the door but my own. All plans need refreshers,  I learned. We were lucky this time...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#44]
more importantly, shouldn't the thread title be  "whilst" and not "while".

just sayin
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#45]
A handgun on your person is better than a shotgun or carbine in the next room...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I live in an urban neighborhood so I carry at home almost always.

For those who either jog or like to wear gym clothes at home take a look at belly-band style holsters.  I took up jogging earlier this year and carry a SW air-weight in a Pistol Wear band.  It is comfortable and protects the firearm very well from sweat.  It is a more awkward draw than a traditional holster but it is still reasonably accessible and quick, plus it sure beats leaving the gun at home.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

This.
I actually leave it holstered and with my belt still through my loops
when I take my pants off. It sits right by the bed, I can either just
grab the pistol or put my pants on and I'm good to go.

View Quote

View Quote

Awesome!

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Some times yes and sometimes no.  Always with in arms reach and always answering the door.  (I rarely have visitors.)  
View Quote

This is me. I have one in the bedroom on the night stand.  I have one on the table next to me and a couple in strategic location throughout the house.  I have a house high on a hill and the approach is very watchable.  That combined with my dag as an early warning system I am on alert but don't always have it right next to  me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top