Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/29/2014 8:35:56 PM EDT
I carry a Smith and wesson 342 pd every day while at work.  Sometimes a G26 at night and on the weekends.  I also carry 1 speed loader with 135 grain  .38 +p gold dots, I guess just to feel a little better about a 5 shot 2 inch barreled gun standing between me and whatever the threat is that randomly appears.  

My question is about "home carry".  I (even now at 8:26 p.m., I get out of work at 4:30, have my revolver in my pocket), just don't see the value in taking it out of my pocket.  I live in a small upstate NY city with a decent crime rate, but I've never been "afraid" in my residence.  I usually wear jeans, or cargo shorts, depending on weather obviously, and it's simple and easy for me to keep it on me without any real comfort penalty.  I've had a carry permit for 7 years and I carry ever day all day, I don't leave home without a wallet, phone, keys, folding knife, and pistol.  It just feels uncomfortable, when I hang my pants in the bathroom to take a shower the revolver is there, it's always there.  

So the question......How many people carry at home?  How many get home and put their gun in a safe or some other hiding place?  How many people don't carry at work, don't carry at home, and only carry under "other circumstances"?  I am bringing this up partially because of the fed ex shooting today in Georgia, and partly because a guy tried to rob me 3 weeks ago, and although he and I were both able to walk away unharmed, the incident has stuck with me (my carry habits havent changed, I always did carry anyway).  So who ALWAYS carries, who doesn't and why?

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry at home.

Doing so got me over the hump of thinking "I am carrying a gun I am carrying a gun" all the time.

Now I barely notice, due to all the hours wearing it at home.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Some times yes and sometimes no.  Always with in arms reach and always answering the door.  (I rarely have visitors.)  
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have carried at home since day one. As the post above says, it is a great way to get used to carrying a gun without worrying about printing or exposing your gun in public. Also it takes at least 10 seconds to get into my safe in a non crisis situation, cant leave guns around the house with kids, so for me the time it would take to retrieve a gun for defense, rather than having one readily available on me, could be the difference between life and death. I do carry everywhere I legally can, I work in some pretty shady neighborhoods and work lets me carry. Events like the FedEx incident today only reinforce the notion that something can happen anywhere, at any time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry at home.

Doing so got me over the hump of thinking "I am carrying a gun I am carrying a gun" all the time.

View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses,  good to see other people are considering all of their options.  Up to and including how long it takes to access a safe..... I assume I won't be able to get into mine if I need to in a horrible situation .  Everyone has different living situation it's helpful.to hear different situations and opinions .
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry at home. It's easier to leave it on all day than to take it off when I get home, and have to put back on every time I take the dogs out. We go for 3-4 walks a night, so that's a lot of on and off otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My M&P is basically on my hip/within arms reach 25/8. About the only time I don't have her at least within arms reach is in the shower.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
If my pants are on my gun is too. Even when i take em off i still have a gun within reach.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless i am in gym clothes it is on.  I just don't have any reason to take it off... i don't really notice it being there and if i need to leave the house, i don't want to have to re-arm.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry at home or have it within reach. Although I'm not to concerned about a home invasion in a second floor condo in a gated community. With that said, I've got a plan should it ever happen.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#12]
i always carry, even while at home
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I always try to have something within reach. I carry sometimes at work and always when not at work. I'm do in home sales and where I live I'm breaking the law if I do not let the owner know I am carrying, given my profession it is in my best interest to leave in the truck when working.

At home I have two small children, I have to always be mindful of where a weapon is. If not on me directly it is in the safe. I cannot take any chances with little ones.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry at home whenever I'm wearing jeans. If I'm not, my Shield is in its holster sitting next to my computer (where I spend a lot of time) or on my bedside table. IWB appendix, very comfy.

I carried for at least a month at home before I got my CCL.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep G19, goes with me every where.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can't carry at work.

Don't carry at home, unless I'm walking the dog or mowing grass. There isn't really a time at home where something isn't "within reach".

I live in a gated community by Disney and the crime rate is pretty non-existent, but we've seen our share of rapid raccoons and aggressive dogs.

Plus, ya never know...

ETA: When not at work, or at home, always carrying something when legally possible.
View Quote

Can't carry while at KAC? Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]
First place I carried since I got my first handgun at 17.  Always carry as you never know when you'll be attacked. Carry when you can, right now however I'm unarmed half way around the world in a very populated city (do get to fire a select fire Tovar within the hour).

CD
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry at home if I know that I will be leaving the house again.

When I'm not carrying, there is always a firearm within reach.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#19]
If I'm wearing pants, I'm carrying. It's part of my "getting dressed" routine. If I'm not wearing pants, then I'm always within arms reach of one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Im laying on the couch watching tv right now…still have my g17 on my hip
If I get undressed for the day early, I have my weapon within reach
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If my pants are on my gun is too. Even when i take em off i still have a gun within reach.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:32:56 AM EDT
[#22]
My weapons come off only when my pants do

Even then there is an ar or shotgun within arms reach of matter where I am.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:38:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Always. Carry. Period.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Did you know that 100% of all home invasions happen in the home????
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Depends, I wear athletic shorts or sweatpants a lot at home, so I often do not carry. However, if I'm wearing anything with belt loops I do. I also ALWAYS have a gun if I'm answering the door (new house, new neighborhood, so I don't know anyone that would be ringing my bell) and also if I'm taking the garbage can to the curb or letting the dog out to go to the bathroom before bed or in the early morning.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Can't carry at work. .Gov job
As soon as I get home I open the safe and pull out the shield and place it in the living room and when it's time for bed it goes in the bedroom with me, when I leave it goes back into the safe.
It's always in arms length.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Always nice to get confirmation that I'm not crazy.  In ny (upstate) a lot of people own guns, but not pistols and they aren't usually "gun people".  Pistols in ny take time and effort, the permitting process can take up to a year just to own one, an unrestricted carry permit varies county to county....I happen to live in a good county .  Point being many people think it's nuts to carry let alone carry in their house. Glad to see others consider self preservation something worth protecting .
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Depends, I wear athletic shorts or sweatpants a lot at home, so I often do not carry. However, if I'm wearing anything with belt loops I do. I also ALWAYS have a gun if I'm answering the door (new house, new neighborhood, so I don't know anyone that would be ringing my bell) and also if I'm taking the garbage can to the curb or letting the dog out to go to the bathroom before bed or in the early morning.
View Quote

Thunderwear or Smart Carry is your friend. If I don't feel like wearing something with a belt I can carry just about anything in sweats or a warm up suit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't carry at work.

Don't carry at home, unless I'm walking the dog or mowing grass. There isn't really a time at home where something isn't "within reach".

I live in a gated community by Disney and the crime rate is pretty non-existent, but we've seen our share of rapid raccoons and aggressive dogs.

Plus, ya never know...

ETA: When not at work, or at home, always carrying something when legally possible.

I'm a little surprised KAC isn't CCW friendly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Sad to say I feel more of a need to carry at home than it do when I'm in town.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't usually carry at home but I know EXACTLY where my gun is, and it usually isn't far.

Usually keep a loaded handgun close, with the 12 gauge ready in the master bedroom.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I basically live in athletic shorts and tee shirts when I'm home, as soon as I walk through the door I greet my dog then change. If I'm moving around the house I have my sidearm with me either on my hip or I carry it around in the holster.

When I'm home alone I'm more laxed about leaving it when I leave the room for a short period, but when my fiancee is home I never leave it anywhere. That's probably my worst fear that something will happen to her because I wasn't able to protect her!

This is what pops into my head every time I wonder if I'm weird for carrying a gun around my house!
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#34]
100% of home invasions, happen in the home. If there was one place that made sense to carry all the time, for me it would be at home.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#35]
If I'm not carrying, it's close by me. No need to make it easy for invaders.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#36]
My gun goes on with my pants in the morning.  It doesn't come off until the pants come off for bed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't carry at work.

Plus, ya never know...

No shit
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#38]
I always have it on my belt when I'm wearing jeans, which is 90% of the time. If I'm wearing athletic shorts I keep a pistol very near. Just like many other posters said, it goes on in the morning and comes off at night. Pretty soon though I won't be able to carry at work so I will see how that goes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I basically live in athletic shorts and tee shirts when I'm home, as soon as I walk through the door I greet my dog then change. If I'm moving around the house I have my sidearm with me either on my hip or I carry it around in the holster.

When I'm home alone I'm more laxed about leaving it when I leave the room for a short period, but when my fiancee is home I never leave it anywhere. That's probably my worst fear that something will happen to her because I wasn't able to protect her!

This is what pops into my head every time I wonder if I'm weird for carrying a gun around my house!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/533769_3065038019002_817971519_n.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/533769_3065038019002_817971519_n.jpg

Bingo.

I am at home 90% of the day, almost every day.  90% of that time, I am carrying.  The other 10% of that time, I have a firearm withinn arms reach.
The only time the above rule does not apply is when I have to pick up one of the kids from school, which is obviously a gun-free zone.

As has been noted, 100% of home invasions occur at home.

No way I could/would handle something like what happened to Christopher/Channon (above) happening to me/wife/kids.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
The wife and I are laying around on the couches today and as she is knitting and I'm surfing arfcom and there is a G19 next to her as well as one near me and a 12ga a few steps away. We have to windows and doors open and locked but are still prepared for anything happening.

I cannot carry at work nor have one in my car so I use other "weapons" left in my car that could help protect me but they aren't as useful as a firearm.

I always carry other then to and from work and that pisses me off that I cannot even have one in my car but I like the job too much to run the risk of them doing a vehical check and finding it and loosing the job.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
No shit

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't carry at work.

Plus, ya never know...

No shit

Just how fast are those coons?

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I carry at home.

View Quote

Always carry at home
and now the goblins will come out, it's warm outside
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#43]
As a rule I don't carry at home.  I sometimes leave my Commander on for a time after an outing or put it on as much as an hour before going out.
Part of having a home is having a place where I can be comfortable and not have a 45 caliber anchor on my hip.
13-16 hours a day armed is enough.

However, I have my carbine within reach wherever I am in the house.

The last tweaker that tried to break in was pretty inept.  My house is pretty hard to get into.
He should have left while he had the chance.  The K9 ripped his ass to shreds.

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:17:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I always carry It took some time getting used to but now I can fall asleep on the couch with my  iwb holster setup.    When at home in pajamas or shorts I will carry a .380 in my pocket.  

But most of the time I have a .45 or 9mm on.  

Yes I carry at work I own a small business,  I am the boss and that is how I protect my business.  

The reason I always carry?  Well it is because a few years ago I was cooking steak when some drug addicts broke in.  They started demanding money and punched my Mom and Dad.  I couldn't get to my shotgun or hunting rifle.  I was able to fight them off and even hold one for the police.  But he was out the next day and the other guy was not caught.  

After that I decided I needed a gun on at all times.  I don't want to have to think about how to get to it.  I want it now and ready.

So even if it is just a .380 I have it ready you know.  I will protect my family.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:21:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As a rule I don't carry at home.  I sometimes leave my Commander on for a time after an outing or put it on as much as an hour before going out.
Part of having a home is having a place where I can be comfortable and not have a 45 caliber anchor on my hip.
13-16 hours a day armed is enough.

However, I have my carbine within reach wherever I am in the house.

The last tweaker that tried to break in was pretty inept.  My house is pretty hard to get into.
He should have left while he had the chance.  The K9 ripped his ass to shreds.

View Quote

I have a shotgun and I used to think it was enough.  I thought I could get to it in time, but one time when some people did break in I couldn't get to it.  So now I do carry all the time.   I know how you feel I used to get tired of the 45 on but now I don't notice it as much.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#46]
My only problem with CCW at home is finding the proper holster. The only thing I can come up with is something that would be considered open carry.............. Kind of hard to conceal when you're naked!!!!!  
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#47]
First thing I do when I walk in my house is strip down to by boxer briefs.

I do keep a pistol hidden in a readily accessible location in every room of the house though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Like many others, if I am awake, I ALWAYS have a gun of some sort. Part of it is my job- I'm a cop in the same small town I live in. As a result, a lot of the people I deal with at work know where I live. Like all cops, I have received more than my fair share of death threats. Most of them are just bluster when arresting some douchebag; from a few, I honestly believe that they will do it if they have the chance.

When I wake up and before I get my shower for the day, I pocket carry my LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis. Fits well in sweat pants during the winter and some too big, baggy shorts that I wear during the summer. After I get my shower, it is my 9mm Shield IWB in my Alien Gear holster. I'm lucky in that I can have a gun 24/7, even at work (indeed I am required at work). If it weren't for my 10 and 14 year old daughters and friends being over quite a bit, I'd also have either my Mossy 590 or my AR within arms reach at home, but I'm paranoid enough about kids messing with them that the 590 stays in the bedroom and the AR stays in the safe. It works for me and I feel reasonably well protected.

Bub75
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#49]
When I first started carrying I would take it off when I was home. That lead to me forgetting it sometimes and leaving the house with an empty holster. I have a friend that carries a Keltec in a pocket holster and he removed it once to chop wood. The car he placed it on drove 1.5 miles before it fell off the hood and actually racked itself when it hit the road. Took him 4 hours to find it.

I found that the only way to stop situations like that is to only have the gun in 2 places, in the holster or in the safe. If I have pants on, I'm carrying a gun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#50]
There is always a firearm within arm's reach. The pistol goes on the nightstand and I usually fiddle around with one of the longarms while at home.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top