Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2014 8:28:32 AM EDT
I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what you do to correct if there is a way.

I carry a Sig P229 in .40 and currently have federal premium 180 grn hydra-shok rounds in it. The thing I am wondering is that I have noticed lately that some of the "pins" in the center of the round are leaning off to the side or going off center in the round. The projectile itself has not moved just that "pin" in the center.

What causes this and outside of bending the "pin" back into proper position is there a way to prevent this?

Edit: Now as an afterthought I wonder how many are going to pull a mag out to check their ammo?  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#1]
The posts don't work half the time anyways. Shoot old Hydra Shocks at next range session, replace w/ HST's.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Hydrashocks don't really work that well.  I would shoot them to make sure your gun can handle hollow points and replace it with something else.

I use corbon dpx.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The posts don't work half the time anyways. Shoot old Hydra Shocks at next range session, replace w/ HST's.
View Quote

This...Gold Dot or Critical Duty would be fine too if you cant get HST.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Hydra shock was state of the art- in 1985! While they might still get the job done there are more modern choices available these days. Burn them up and find something you can get a few hundred of- need to test a couple mags at least to assure function ( some say a lot more) then stock up!
Once I find something that runs in my gun I generally buy a case as replacing every so often is good practice and you don't want to get caught short or be forced to switch to something untested because of another ammo shortage
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmm, I Think I will have to look into projectiles since I reload and I can duplicate for the most part a factory round (maybe not the same EXACT primer and powder) but the tollerances of charge weight and FPS size and all not to mention probably the same projectile as well. I just have to get enough nickel cases which will remain my defense rounds so I don't mix them up. I can probably reload my own for a lot cheaper than buying a factory round. This is something I need to look into more.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hmmmm, I Think I will have to look into projectiles since I reload and I can duplicate for the most part a factory round (maybe not the same EXACT primer and powder) but the tollerances of charge weight and FPS size and all not to mention probably the same projectile as well. I just have to get enough nickel cases which will remain my defense rounds so I don't mix them up. I can probably reload my own for a lot cheaper than buying a factory round. This is something I need to look into more.
View Quote

You could, but keep in mind that modern premium defense loads have flash suppressants in the powder that you will not get in off-the-shelf powders.  Low/no-light performance is much better with factory defense ammo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Agree with the others.

Burn thru the Hydrashoks an upgrade to modern ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top