Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2014 5:42:40 PM EDT
so i've gotten to the point where i'm afraid to carry my scorpion or nightmare for fear of having to use it and lose such a pretty gun. but i still want the power of a 45 in a compact form. well i went to my local gun store here in bogart, ga called Grand Slam Guns. that's where i saw this cute little compact 1911 in a very very affordable pricing tier. all the reviews i read on it were pretty good. in fact they were very positive. so i decided to make the jump

and here she is: ATI Titan xtreme 1911 compact. i know it's not a sig, but at the price i got it for, it was phenomenal and the guys at Grand Slam Guns were super nice and made the transaction quite simple and swift

Grand Slam Guns
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
More like a Commander than a compact in that it uses the Standard frame.

Big Plus is that it uses the more reliable OEM extractor!

I see no downside to it provided you run at least 100 rounds through it with NO failures
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More like a Commander than a compact in that it uses the Standard frame.

Big Plus is that it uses the more reliable OEM extractor!

I see no downside to it provided you run at least 100 rounds through it with NO failures
View Quote

yes you are right. but it is a good bit smaller than my scorpion. the wife is headed to the range today after work to put a few boxes worth of range time through it to properly break it in.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds interesting, keep us up to date
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I am going to be that guy…

Who cares how much the gun that saved you life cost? I would carry what you trust and feel the most comfortable with.  

You can buy another gun but you can’t buy another life.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 3:15:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Who cares how much the gun that saved you life cost? I would carry what you trust and feel the most comfortable with.  

View Quote

Shit, knowing this site, people would donate money to you to buy a new gun if you used it in self defense and it wasn't returned to you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shit, knowing this site, people would donate money to you to buy a new gun if you used it in self defense and it wasn't returned to you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

OP I carry a 1911r in scorpion flavor and SHOULD the day, God forbid, ever arise it will go to work and I will willingly hand it over to be able to see my kids grow up.  Now where we do agree is you have purchased another firearm- winner winner chicken dinner
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:44:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have done it before. I would rather carry a expensive gun that i know works than take  chance on a cheaper gun failing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They have done it before. I would rather carry a expensive gun that i know works than take  chance on a cheaper gun failing.

View Quote

The PRICE of the gun has absolutely Nothing to do with its' Reliability...

I bought a cheaper CIA 1911 (Philippines) for my glove box rather than my Stainless Gold Cup.

$500 vs. $1,200 but bot are reliable and accurate enough to 100 yards - Gold Cup excels beyond that range.

Is a Kel-Tek PF9 some how less reliable than a Sig P290 at twice the price???
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I bought a cheaper CIA 1911 (Philippines) for my glove box rather than my Stainless Gold Cup.

$500 vs. $1,200 but bot are reliable and accurate enough to 100 yards - Gold Cup excels beyond that range.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have done it before. I would rather carry a expensive gun that I know works than take  chance on a cheaper gun failing.

Agreed. But this is not what the OP is talking about. He is worried about losing a nice gun in a self defensive shooting so he bought a cheaper one. My point was simply that I would rather have a gun that I know works regardless of price.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Agreed. But this is not what the OP is talking about. He is worried about losing a nice gun in a self defensive shooting so he bought a cheaper one. My point was simply that I would rather have a gun that I know works regardless of price.
View Quote

One that we can agree
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:10:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I carried a Colt XSE (the compact version) until I drew it in a self-defense situation with a charging Doberman and the slide hung on the feed lips of the chip mccormick power mag, rendering the pistol useless.

The advise about running 100 rounds thru it before you carry it is no bullshit.

Even the package of the chip power mag said that..

Guess I should have read up on how frequently these weapons have problems.

If you are going to look to a 1911 to be your carry gun....run the heck out of it....buy an excellent holster....keep it oiled but not wet....load it out with fmj not hollow point just in case.......and carry it cocked and locked..

Or you can buy a Glock and know that it will be there to save your life without all the diapering that you will have to do with a 1911.

Hate to rain on your parade but I was the biggest 1911 guy in the world before that. I owned like 20 of them. Now I know better. In the words of James Yeager "A properly running 1911 is as rare as a malfunctioning Glock."

After all that happened...I went out and enrolled in what would eventually be three separate firearms training schools and got well trained. The only time I saw ANYONE at ANY of these schools with a 1911, it was a guy on a tactical range that was having feed problems and we all had to stop to let him try to safely figure out what the problems were. Everyone else that was there and serious about what they were doing were running Sigs, Glocks, or the occasional Sping XD.

All the flaming about 1911 vs Glocks or whatever aside. I just want you to be a good gunman and not end up like I did...,.with wife and kids behind you.....threat in front of you......and a 103 year old design in your hands that has a great likelihood of not working. Get serious about your status as a gunman and get better equipped, both in hardware and in training. 9mm or 45..it doesn't matter. Terminal ballistics are basically the same and you wont be able to tell the difference when they are running thru your torso. Just buy modern designed weapons if your life depends on it...and don't try to save money on this. Your name is Sigalitious so it sounds like you know quality. Stick with that, brother..
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
so i've gotten to the point where i'm afraid to carry my scorpion or nightmare for fear of having to use it and lose such a pretty gun.
View Quote

So you bought a $500, likely lower overall quality pistol to replace a $1000 pistol on the odd chance that you will have to use it to stop someone from killing or causing great bodily harm to you or your loved ones. Makes perfect sense. So at this point if the gun does indeed end up in an evidence locker you are already down $500 instead of the $1000. So at this point, this solution is saving you $500.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I carried a Colt XSE (the compact version) until I drew it in a self-defense situation with a charging Doberman and the slide hung on the feed lips of the chip mccormick power mag, rendering the pistol useless.

If you are going to look to a 1911 to be your carry gun....run the heck out of it....buy an excellent holster....keep it oiled but not wet....load it out with fmj not hollow point just in case.......and carry it cocked and locked..

Or you can buy a Glock and know that it will be there to save your life without all the diapering that you will have to do with a 1911.

Hate to rain on your parade but I was the biggest 1911 guy in the world before that. I owned like 20 of them. Now I know better. In the words of James Yeager "A properly running 1911 is as rare as a malfunctioning Glock."

After all that happened...I went out and enrolled in what would eventually be three separate firearms training schools and got well trained. The only time I saw ANYONE at ANY of these schools with a 1911, it was a guy on a tactical range that was having feed problems and we all had to stop to let him try to safely figure out what the problems were. Everyone else that was there and serious about what they were doing were running Sigs, Glocks, or the occasional Sping XD.

All the flaming about 1911 vs Glocks or whatever aside. I just want you to be a good gunman and not end up like I did...,.with wife and kids behind you.....threat in front of you......and a 103 year old design in your hands that has a great likelihood of not working. Get serious about your status as a gunman and get better equipped, both in hardware and in training. 9mm or 45..it doesn't matter. Terminal ballistics are basically the same and you wont be able to tell the difference when they are running thru your torso. Just buy modern designed weapons if your life depends on it...and don't try to save money on this. Your name is Sigalitious so it sounds like you know quality. Stick with that, brother..
View Quote

Sorry but several questions and not intended to ridicule you at all...

You added a NON-Standard magazine and did not test it out before carry?

You carry without a round in the chamber?

I have had 5, 1911's as personal firearms and countless numbers of 'arms room issues' and have yet to see one fail...

But the only Glock and SIG that I have ever purchased, failed on the first trip to the range
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have had 5, 1911's as personal firearms and countless numbers of 'arms room issues' and have yet to see one fail...

But the only Glock and SIG that I have ever purchased, failed on the first trip to the range
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be interested in what brand your 1911s are? I love the 1911 platform and it is my favorite gun, but I have had failure to feed issues with Colt, Springfield, Sig, Taurus and Kimber.  All of these seem to have been caused by hollow point ammo using a variety of mags.

I have yet to see the perfect handgun though. Seems like everything will fail eventually.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries bro. I learned a lot from what I did. I now am exhaustively trained and 1000% better equipped so I like to share what happened so others wont stay as ignorant as I was back then.

Yes, I bought Chip McCormick Power Mags from Brownells. I loaded one and put it in the pistol. I just assumed that it would work. Bad assumption.

My other "fail" was the carry condition. I carried my 1911 in condition 2 (full mag, round in chamber, hammer down) which was intended to be safe, but I know now was very unsafe.

When the dog attacked, I pulled up my shirt, drew my pistol from my Galco holster, cocked with my thumb and the event began. What happened was when I grabbed the pistol to draw, I "pushed" the pistol into the holster slightly, which I know now, caused the slide to push back a few millimeters, and that "grabbed" the feed lips of the magazine which were apparently slightly out of spec. The magazine held the slide in that "out of battery" position which I could not see as I looked down the barrel of the pistol at the crazyass dog as he tried to make an end run around me to my children and wife. The dog never got to us as I was yelling at him like a drill sgt the whole time. After the owner came out of the house and got the dog, I realized the condition of the weapon, which was actually jammed in that condition, and as I pointed in a safe direction and tried to clear the gun, it slam fired. No one injured. Dog owner cited for dog. Cops were nice about the negligent discharge.

I however was beside myself. The event made me stop and revisit everything.

I did A LOT AND I MEAN A LOT of research following that. Even so far as contacting Colt and talking to a master armorer about it as well as several other gunsmiths. The 1911 has a solid reputation as being an unreliable performer for a million reasons that I won't go into today. If you go to Youtube and search "Tactical Advantage" or "James Yeager" and "1911's suck" you will find Yeager's 3 part series on 1911's which is very well done.

I carry a Glock 19 and/or Glock 26 and occasionally a Ruger LCP if I just can't get away with the larger framed weapons due to clothing.

I enrolled in multiple private firearms training schools that did live fire both inside and on outdoor tactical facilities.

I started reading people like Jeff Cooper, and listening to James Yeager, and now, today, can say I am trained and fully confident with my skills and equipment.

Im the first to say that I was uneducated and ill-equipped back then so no one else needs to flame in and say that for me. Just because you grow up around guns does not mean you know anything. I put my money and time where my mouth was and now am a different gunman.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I started reading people like Jeff Cooper...

View Quote

If you started reading people like Jeff Cooper, you would be aware that he regarded the 1911 as probably the finest fighting pistol ever made.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you started reading people like Jeff Cooper, you would be aware that he regarded the 1911 as probably the finest fighting pistol ever made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started reading people like Jeff Cooper...

And when he was in his prime, the M1 Garand was the finest battle implement ever devised too....

Now leap to the 21st Century and we have substantially better options.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#18]
People who are serious about the 1911 platform will openly tell you that the 1911 can require some effort to get it to the reliability standard of more modern designs. If you can maintain it I think it's a great gun, I'm a Glock guy because it's an easy design to keep happy. The 1911 is NOT a pistol for a novice or someone that can't be bothered to thoroughly test their equipment and maintain proficiency. Longhorn was a prime example of someone that shouldn't have been carrying a 1911.

Longhorn, I'm glad you got to see the error of your ways and nothing bad happened. 100% of that whole situation was your fault and that's a very hard thing to admit. Have you considered a return to the 1911 now that you are taking CCW seriously?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I carry a springfield professional for my CC.

I personally would very much stress not to carry a cheaper 1911 because you are afraid to carry a nicer 1911 for whatever reason. You life very well one day depend on that gun. I personally wouldn't want to bet my life on the cheapest 1911 I own
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People who are serious about the 1911 platform will openly tell you that the 1911 can require some effort to get it to the reliability standard of more modern designs. If you can maintain it I think it's a great gun, I'm a Glock guy because it's an easy design to keep happy. The 1911 is NOT a pistol for a novice or someone that can't be bothered to thoroughly test their equipment and maintain proficiency. Longhorn was a prime example of someone that shouldn't have been carrying a 1911.

Longhorn, I'm glad you got to see the error of your ways and nothing bad happened. 100% of that whole situation was your fault and that's a very hard thing to admit. Have you considered a return to the 1911 now that you are taking CCW seriously?

View Quote

You're exactly right. I should not have been carrying that weapon. I had no idea that it needed tuning, testing, and modifications of any nature to work as designed. Versus a Glock which you could pretty much stake your life on being able to take any of them out from under the glass, throw a Glock magazine in it with good ammo, and run 1000 rounds thru it with the reasonable expectation that it would not fail. All day, everyday..

No. I would not return to the 1911 platform for exactly all the reasons you stated.

If my life is on the line, and the lives of wife, kiddos, or other people I am maybe trying to help and defend, and I can shoot bullets out of a pistol that can need a lot of effort to get to the point of reliability equal to more modern designs, versus a more modern designed weapon that shoots the same bullet, then there is no choice in my mind.

That's why I carry Glock. It boils down to reliability over preference in my mind. Which is the better tool.

I love 1911's. Still have most of my collection. I enjoy handling them and shooting them out in the country. Like how they "feel" and look. But that's it.

I have a .45 cal Glock, but for every day carry, I also went to the 9mm from a .45 as well after researching terminal ballistics and such. Never thought I would do that in a million years either. I carry a Glock 19 typically and sometimes a Glock 26, which are both 9mm. I run name brand hollow points. And I still train and shoot them quite a bit, which is the other mistake I made back then.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I carry a springfield professional for my CC.

I personally would very much stress not to carry a cheaper 1911 because you are afraid to carry a nicer 1911 for whatever reason. You life very well one day depend on that gun. I personally wouldn't want to bet my life on the cheapest 1911 I own
View Quote

Yup. All my go to guns are the expensive ones.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#22]
longhorn789: Thanks for the updated info!

Sounds more like a cascade of failures rather than just one

I trained with the M1, fired many rifle grenades off of them and owned one for 30+ years.

One: you will never see a rifle grenade firing from am M16 - M4

Two: NO ONE has ever questioned the reliability or lethality of the M1!!! Can't say that about an M16 - M4

I carried and used an M16 in combat. No desire to ever hold another...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Ill just leave my .02 here since were all on the topic of 1911 vs glock.

I run 1911s at classes and I carry a full size daily. I train with guys such as Kyle Defoor and Frank Proctor. 1K round count classes. Im generally the only one with a 1911 at these classes.

Ive seen just about every type of pistol go down in some way or another at classes. Most guys use glocks it seems like at classes. Ive seen problems crop up when the gen4s came out and some gen3s due to extractors. Ive seen glocks loose front sights. Ive seen glocks malfunction as well. It doesn't happen often to people I see at just shooting at ranges, but I always see atleast one glock malfunction some way or some how at a class. Now all that being said most guys use glocks so the pool is much larger for something to happen at some point vs the 1 random guy with a 1911.

I would always get a weird look when I showed up with a 1911, but mine have always ran. Last class I was at with Defoor I even broke my 1911. The firing pin stop broke in half. There was just enough material to keep the firing pin in. It lost enough material on the extractor side of it that the extractor would cant. Even despite this condition my 1911 finished the class without a single malfunction.

I personally have run into very little problems with 1911s over the 10+ years I have been messing with them. Kimber gave me the worst problems but it was due to an extractor and once I replaced that myself it ran like a top. My current carry 1911, a springfield professional, for those of you out of the know this is the 1911 designed and issued to the FBI's HRT team, even it came to me with an extractor problem. Again once I personally fit a extractor to it she runs great.

Ill echo what others have said. 1911s are not for novices to the design. You need to learn how everything works together. Most importantly know how to tune and fit an extractor. That is where 99% of problems I have seen with 1911s be due to.

So while a 1911 is absolutely not what I would suggest to someone who is new to guns or carrying, it should not be completely ruled out.

Learn to fit an extractor, use good mags(I only use Wilson 47 7 round mags), keep it lubed up, and I can almost guarantee you wont have any problems.

Oh and I never trust a 1911 until I can get around 500 rounds without cleaning through it. I have my 1911s go through 1K round count classes without issue. All I do is lube it back up when loading up mags. Drop each down the slide rails, disconnect groove in the slide, lube the barrel hood, and where the barrel contacts the bushing. To me there is no such thing as too much lube for a 1911. I run mine pretty wet and carry them basically the same way. I relube it every few days of carrying.

Just my experience with 1911s. Take what you will. I do love 1911s, but I am not a huge fan boy by any means. If 1911s didn't run correctly all the time for me, then I would use my glocks that I also own.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#24]
^
I can't argue with this.

I have to say this has been the BEST thread I've seen on a serious discussion of 1911s. I think the weird looks were because every single guy I've seen with a 1911 at a class has had issues that were entirely preventable.

Have you given any thought to the Sig 1911s using an external extractor?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
^
I can't argue with this.

I have to say this has been the BEST thread I've seen on a serious discussion of 1911s. I think the weird looks were because every single guy I've seen with a 1911 at a class has had issues that were entirely preventable.

View Quote

No I personally have not. I want to stick to something I know and have tools for. I have special tools just to tend to internal extractors. I have a gauge to measure the tension as well as a tool designed just to put tension or reduce tension and hold it for a period of time to get the extractor to take set.

Ive heard good things about the Sig 1911s, but their just not for me due to what I said above

One last thing I wanted to throw in on my earlier post. I have really only messed around with full size 1911s. I have only had one "compact" or whatever the correct name is for them. It was a Kimber CDP ultra 2. I personally never had a failure with it but I didn't have it long before I traded it. Probably put a couple hundred rounds through it. I let one guy give it a shot and it was a jamomatic for him. He passed it back to me and I put down another box without failure. So I really don't have enough trigger time with the smaller 1911s to say good or bad about them, but it seems the smaller the 1911 is the more maintenance is required and reliability takes a nose dive from what I have read. Maybe I just have magic hands for a 1911?

Ive always scratched my head when people complain about the reliability of 1911s. This is a no shit true story. When I was 12 or so my father got me my first 1911. It was a kimber eclipse 2, full size with target sights. Now I am the only person in my family who shoots or know anything about guns. At that point in my life I knew nothing and I mean absolutely nothing about keeping guns maintained or cleaning them etc. I never lubed that gun, I never cleaned it. Fast forward a year and it finally started malfunctioning. It wasn't because it was never lubed or cleaned, but due to a completely worn out recoil spring. The spring didn't have enough tension to get a round up the feed ramp out of the magazine.

Fast forward 12 years and now I realize what it takes and what is needed to keep them running. I change out recoil spring probably more often than I should. But they are cheap insurance.

So all that being said I have never understood the why some question the reliability of 1911s. For the most part ive never had a serious problem that I personally couldn't remedy, and I am far from gunsmith type status.

In my experience a properly maintained and set up 1911 is just as reliable as say a glock or any other modern pistol. There are other aspects of the 1911 outside of reliability that people question that I can understand. One being mag capacity. Another big thing most people do not understand is that 99% of the parts In a 1911 must be hand fit with a file for optimum performance. I honestly think that last piece is where most people go wrong with 1911s. What us 1911 guys refer to as a bubba'd 1911.

So that's my experience with them and what I think. I do not think the 1911 is the end all be all pistol. However its slim design makes it so easy for me to completely conceal a full size 1911. That aspect and the fact that I have used them for most of my life keeps me to the platform. I have put more rounds down range with a 1911 in .45 than anything else I own. I would even say I have shot more .45s through a 1911 than I have .22s in my lifetime. I have other modern type pistols. I have a glock 19 that I honestly do love. Im not near as accurate with it, and the little more thickness makes it more noticeable when I tried carrying it for awhile concealed.

Some 1911 owners consider the 1911 a holy grail and don't even want to scratch their finish. Ill post a pic here in a bit. This 1911 is roughly a year old, I basically got it when new. As you can tell I do not baby my 1911s and If they were not reliable I would not trust my life to one

Sorry if I rambled on a bit. Just added bits and pieces as I thought of them
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#26]
No, thanks for the report. I've wondered about getting a full size 1911 and giving it a serious go, I've had a few but never kept one. I've considered a Sig because the external extractor should (in theory) be much easier to take care of should problems occur.

ETA:OP, sorry for the thread hijack.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#27]
chase45....how do you carry your full size 1911? Holster mfg.?  Are you a XL guy or medium build?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No I personally have not. I want to stick to something I know and have tools for. I have special tools just to tend to internal extractors. I have a gauge to measure the tension as well as a tool designed just to put tension or reduce tension and hold it for a period of time to get the extractor to take set.

Ive heard good things about the Sig 1911s, but their just not for me due to what I said above

One last thing I wanted to throw in on my earlier post. I have really only messed around with full size 1911s. I have only had one "compact" or whatever the correct name is for them. It was a Kimber CDP ultra 2. I personally never had a failure with it but I didn't have it long before I traded it. Probably put a couple hundred rounds through it. I let one guy give it a shot and it was a jamomatic for him. He passed it back to me and I put down another box without failure. So I really don't have enough trigger time with the smaller 1911s to say good or bad about them, but it seems the smaller the 1911 is the more maintenance is required and reliability takes a nose dive from what I have read. Maybe I just have magic hands for a 1911?

Ive always scratched my head when people complain about the reliability of 1911s. This is a no shit true story. When I was 12 or so my father got me my first 1911. It was a kimber eclipse 2, full size with target sights. Now I am the only person in my family who shoots or know anything about guns. At that point in my life I knew nothing and I mean absolutely nothing about keeping guns maintained or cleaning them etc. I never lubed that gun, I never cleaned it. Fast forward a year and it finally started malfunctioning. It wasn't because it was never lubed or cleaned, but due to a completely worn out recoil spring. The spring didn't have enough tension to get a round up the feed ramp out of the magazine.

Fast forward 12 years and now I realize what it takes and what is needed to keep them running. I change out recoil spring probably more often than I should. But they are cheap insurance.

So all that being said I have never understood the why some question the reliability of 1911s. For the most part ive never had a serious problem that I personally couldn't remedy, and I am far from gunsmith type status.

In my experience a properly maintained and set up 1911 is just as reliable as say a glock or any other modern pistol. There are other aspects of the 1911 outside of reliability that people question that I can understand. One being mag capacity. Another big thing most people do not understand is that 99% of the parts In a 1911 must be hand fit with a file for optimum performance. I honestly think that last piece is where most people go wrong with 1911s. What us 1911 guys refer to as a bubba'd 1911.

So that's my experience with them and what I think. I do not think the 1911 is the end all be all pistol. However its slim design makes it so easy for me to completely conceal a full size 1911. That aspect and the fact that I have used them for most of my life keeps me to the platform. I have put more rounds down range with a 1911 in .45 than anything else I own. I would even say I have shot more .45s through a 1911 than I have .22s in my lifetime. I have other modern type pistols. I have a glock 19 that I honestly do love. Im not near as accurate with it, and the little more thickness makes it more noticeable when I tried carrying it for awhile concealed.

Some 1911 owners consider the 1911 a holy grail and don't even want to scratch their finish. Ill post a pic here in a bit. This 1911 is roughly a year old, I basically got it when new. As you can tell I do not baby my 1911s and If they were not reliable I would not trust my life to one

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/IMG_20140302_133045_zps13624019.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/IMG_20140302_133045_zps13624019.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^
I can't argue with this.

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/IMG_20140302_133045_zps13624019.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/IMG_20140302_133045_zps13624019.jpg</a>

That is how I like them to look. Nice Pic OP
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
chase45....how do you carry your full size 1911? Holster mfg.?  Are you a XL guy or medium build?

Thanks!
View Quote

Small guy. 5'6 around 145 pounds. I have bigger shoulders I suppose for someone my size. State swimmer back in the day in highschool. I carry right around 3 o'clock in a raven phantom. It's the only holster I can make it work with. I've tried a whole train load of holsters including appendix holsters and the Phantom is still my go to. Along with a stiff belt. You would never guess I am carrying. I do not look like a gun person either

Yep full size every day. Currently carrying a Springfield professional. I have smaller guns I have bought to carry in summer time and such. I never use them. I carry that full size 1911 99% of the time. Just have to choose your clothes right. Button downs is where it's at plus they look good. Polo work well for me too. I wear medium size shirts. Not too tight. Not too loose
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#30]
OP I wouldn''t let the fear of having a firearm taken after using keep me from carrying it.  Its a tool and you only have one life.  There are a gazillion more guns.  That being said, my EDC is an ATI GI Commander.  The question of cost was a significant issue as I didn't have much.  
 I bought CMC Shooting Stars and ran my break in rounds with them over the course of 3-4 weekends.  I has been a flawless setup and I trust my life to it daily.  But, it is a tool.  I don't fret over scratches, dings, or other wear.  Its part of CCWing.  
 Bottom line, carry a gun that you trust completely, regardless of the price.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 3:32:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

While my EDC is a G19 - I've got several others that make the rotation on the weekends. If I were to be in a situation that would cost me a $500-3000 sidearm vs. living to post about it - I'd more than happily lose the sidearm.

It's only money - you can always make more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top