Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2014 5:52:10 PM EDT
I believe that Eagle Scouts should be able to carry at the age of 18 after the have graduated high school but still should have to pass a background check and the normal stuff to get a carry permit... What's yalls opinion?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  Same rules for everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think I or anyone else should have to ask .gov's permission to exercise an inalienable right.

Boy Scouts and what one achieves in the Boy scouts should not have any bearing on the 2A.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Why? What makes them so special? Had a douche bag with eagle scout plates road rage cut me off on the highway.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Thats the stupidest thing iv ever heard. I have met one eagle scout that i would even trust with a weapon. Boy scouts are not what they used to be, hate to break it to you
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#5]
So joining an private organization entitles you to more rights?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing you learn in scouts is firearm safety.. That does not mean every Eagle Scout would be carrying just the ones that chose to do so.. A lot of the military personnel come from the boy scouts also.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I believe that Eagle Scouts should be able to carry at the age of 18 after the have graduated high school but still should have to pass a background check and the normal stuff to get a carry permit... What's yalls opinion?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why? What makes them so special? Had a douche bag with eagle scout plates road rage cut me off on the highway.
View Quote

So true

Heck ive had eagle scouts that couldn't light a fire if their life depended on it. Ironically having wilderness survival on their sash
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One thing you learn in scouts is firearm safety.. That does not mean every Eagle Scout would be carrying just the ones that chose to do so.. A lot of the military personnel come from the boy scouts also.
View Quote

You don't learn firearms safety, they teach you firearms safety. You learn through repetition.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think I or anyone else should have to ask .gov's permission to exercise an inalienable right.

Boy Scouts and what one achieves in the Boy scouts should not have any bearing on the 2A.
View Quote

I will agree with this.  What exactly does Eagle Scout training mean in relation to being able to carry?  Not a fucking thing.  

I will also add there are far greater injustices in this country than an Eagle Scout having to wait 3 years to get a pistol or ccw.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummm fail.  Unless scouts have made rifle or shotgun merit badge a requirement for Eagle since I got mine over 30 years ago.

ETA:  While some boy scouts go on to the military, a lot more don't.  Plus, you seem to be shifting requirements, from eagle to just boy scouts.

Here is a suggestion, develop a theory.  Present it.  When people question it, deal with the questions don't throw more inane unrelated or antecdotal information at them.  It hurts your credibility and makes people question your ability to think shit through..
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#12]
All free people should be able to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, and their communities>>> Eagle Scouts are free people>>> Eagle Scouts should be able to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, and their communities.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a Scout.  Never made it to Eagle as other things had my interest at the time.

In the last couple of years, I've met a few Eagles and Eagle candidates.

I'm amazed at the number who were dragged through their project by mommy (or occasionally daddy).  Kids that couldn't find their ass with both hands and a flashlight, but had helicopter parents pushing them every step of the way.  Do they justify any special preference in carrying?  Not in my mind.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#15]
As an Eagle Scout, I don't agree. Yes, becoming an Eagle is very hard and you do learn a lot of responsibility along the way but I would still keep the laws the same. I was lucky here in Indiana, I got my lifetime permit at 18 and was able to carry right after I became Eagle but there are some kids that get their Eagle rank well before 17 or 16 years old and even though becoming an Eagle Scout has taught responsibility even I think 16 or younger is too young to carry in public, hell, I thought 18 was too young to be able to carry but I didn't complain when I got my permit.

I would agree with a discount on the permit fee for Eagle Scouts though
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:29:30 AM EDT
[#16]
No.  Your special little sunflower may have some basic safety training, but he's still 18, with an 18 year old head on his shoulders, regardless of his scout background.  We don't let mil. carry off base (or even on base in most cases) under 21, and they have a lot more firearms training that your eagle scout.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:35:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol
no.

Rifle shooting, pistol shooting, archery, isn't required for Eagle Scout. Why the hell would they get special priveleges?

Besides, most 18 y/o's I know are complete idiots. Including the ones I work with.

And yes, I'm an Eagle.  1995.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Besides, most 18 y/o's I know are complete idiots. Including the ones I work with.
View Quote

Yep.

Plus many of the fresh eagle scouts I know are complete dicks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:42:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm guessing troll thread.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As an Eagle Scout, I don't agree. Yes, becoming an Eagle is very hard and you do learn a lot of responsibility along the way but I would still keep the laws the same. I was lucky here in Indiana, I got my lifetime permit at 18 and was able to carry right after I became Eagle but there are some kids that get their Eagle rank well before 17 or 16 years old and even though becoming an Eagle Scout has taught responsibility even I think 16 or younger is too young to carry in public, hell, I thought 18 was too young to be able to carry but I didn't complain when I got my permit.

View Quote

Silly idea.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Silly idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silly idea.

You didn't know helping little old ladies across the street is now equivalent to going to work where kevlar is part of your attire?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm guessing troll thread.
View Quote

My vote too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have no formal training, yet I believe I am safer then most. Why should they be special?

Hell the first thing my idiot roommate (who is an "eagle") did when I showed him my AR was put his finger on the trigger and break all the rules.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:19:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You didn't know helping little old ladies across the street is now equivalent to going to work where kevlar is part of your attire?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silly idea.

I think eagle scouts should receive military benefits and get discounts everywhere.

True story
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.

There are no "special classes"

"ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL, THAT THEY ARE ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR WITH CERTAIN UNALIENABLE RIGHTS."

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:57:15 AM EDT
[#26]
how about just no permits and no minimum age
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:06:11 AM EDT
[#27]
An elite paramilitary organization like the Eagle Scouts doesn't fuck around with permits.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
An elite paramilitary organization like the Eagle Scouts doesn't fuck around with permits.
View Quote

Domestic terrorists in training.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:14:51 AM EDT
[#29]
No. Some of my fellow Eagle Scouts never did anything that would make them stand out above anyone else other than spending a long time in Scouts.

Great first post BTW.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#30]
If Eagle Scouts carry then military members should also be able to carry at 18.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

How old are you OP? You have brought no compelling argument to the table for why you believe this and have not responded to posts that question your reasoning.

I don't think just because someone earned a bunch of merit badges and went camping every other weekend for years, entitles one to supersede the age requirement over others. The scouts firearm "training" you speak of is laughable and it's depth and consistency varies by Troop and Merit Badge Counselor.  The Eagle Scouts I knew at 18 where no more put together then others who played sports and chased tail.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How old are you OP? You have brought no compelling argument to the table for why you believe this and have not responded to posts that question your reasoning.

I don't think just because someone earned a bunch of merit badges and went camping every other weekend for years, entitles one to supersede the age requirement over others. The scouts firearm "training" you speak of is laughable and it's depth and consistency varies by Troop and Merit Badge Counselor.  The Eagle Scouts I knew at 18 where no more put together then others who played sports and chased tail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that it is related, but that isn't even a requirement. Scouting is so watered down most wouldn't recognize it if it weren't for the uniform.

I think we can all agree this thread is dildos.

-all4freedom, Eagle Scout
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey OP while you are at it, how about lowering the drinking age for Eagle Scouts to 18?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Most of the Eagle scouts that I went to school with were morons who partied and smoked pot. Constitutional rights should not be special privilege to specific groups, subject to background checks, or  graduation dates. If you can join the military and vote at 18, why shouldn't you be able own, purchase, or carry a handgun? Got my first handgun at 17. Got my license to carry at 19. Haven't had any problems so far.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm an eagle scout and I disagree with you. Rights for EVERYONE.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#36]
As an Eagle Scout myself, I will say that is a very bad idea.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thats the stupidest thing iv ever heard. I have met one eagle scout that i would even trust with a weapon. Boy scouts are not what they used to be, hate to break it to you
View Quote

I was a scout for a few years.  Never really cared for getting ranks I just liked hiking, camping and shooting.  Plenty of scouts get eagle because their parents have lots of time and money (mostly money).  Not saying all eagle scouts are bad but I know plenty of eagle scouts who smoked and drank at parties like anybody else.  The quality of people in this country has steadily gotten lower and lower so that now even what were once honorable organizations are just hollow shells of what they once were.

Same thing can be said for the army.  I can't even begin to describe how much ridiculous BS i have seen since I enlisted.  And this is an intel unit.   Youd think that with everybody having some kind of security clearance they would have rooted out the garbage.  Not so much lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Eagle class of 1988.

I say sorry OP,  no special privileges.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#39]
18 for everyone. Ypu can go to war, vote, buy a long gun, should be able to carry and in the states that dont allow it yet buy a handgun
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

1st reply gets it right.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Police, both active and retired seem to be a Special Class when it comes to concealed carry.

Look at how they are whining and threating suite of the NFL because it made a no gun rule and treated them the same as everyone else

No kiddies we ARE all the same.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Police, both active and retired seem to be a Special Class when it comes to concealed carry.

Look at how they are whining and threating suite of the NFL because it made a no gun rule and treated them the same as everyone else

No kiddies we ARE all the same.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If Eagle Scouts carry then military members should also be able to carry at 18.
View Quote

In some states, you can carry at 18 if you are in the military.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#44]
No
Becoming an Eagle Scout is hard work, but it doesn't mean you should be able to carry before anyone else. I got my Eagle when I was 15, and I know several other eagle scouts and some of them should not be allowed to touch a gun.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

WTF makes an Eagle Scout so special? Should they also get away with DWIs like police?
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#47]
13'ing like a boss in the tech forums and with a first post in 2014 no less.

Impressive.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
18 for everyone. Ypu can go to war, vote, buy a long gun, should be able to carry and in the states that dont allow it yet buy a handgun
View Quote

I agree here, but NO to Eagle Scouts getting special privelages.  Handguns are not taught in the Rifle or Shotgun Merit Badge.  The min age to buy a handgun from a FFL (GCA68) needs to be changed.  Believe there is a case being considered by the USSC this week on the issue.

CD

Eagle Scout 1983, signed by President Reagan
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I do not agree, but I would say those who are old enough to serve our country should be a allowed to carry and own handguns in America.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I do not agree, but I would say those who are old enough to serve our country should be a allowed to carry and own handguns in America.
View Quote

Good Point!

When I was 18, I was sitting on a mountain in Korea with an Automatic Rifle in my lap...

But still 3 years too young to buy a beer or carry a concealed pistol in PA

Ah the wisdom of lawmakers...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top