Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2014 8:11:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
What belt are you using? It's possible that your belt could be failing and not providing enough support.

I would definitely suggest getting yourself in shape, but another option to try would be suspenders?

What holster are you using? Options for a wider footprint on the belt loops to distribute weight better?
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Never thought of the belt. I am using a web belt. It's from Propper, and it's not flimsy.
That may be an issue, and it's a variable I haven't tried. I'll try a rigid leather belt for sure after reading your post. I could even try my CM Speed that I use for 3 gun.
Holster is  a DSG type from RKBA. I have several friends that have them with no issues, and have carried with Milt Sparks, and Mitch Rosin both IWB in the past.

Getting in shape needs to be job 1 for many reasons!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What belt are you using? It's possible that your belt could be failing and not providing enough support.

I would definitely suggest getting yourself in shape, but another option to try would be suspenders?

What holster are you using? Options for a wider footprint on the belt loops to distribute weight better?

Never thought of the belt. I am using a web belt. It's from Propper, and it's not flimsy.
That may be an issue, and it's a variable I haven't tried. I'll try a rigid leather belt for sure after reading your post. I could even try my CM Speed that I use for 3 gun.
Holster is  a DSG type from RKBA. I have several friends that have them with no issues, and have carried with Milt Sparks, and Mitch Rosin both IWB in the past.

Getting in shape needs to be job 1 for many reasons!

This will help quite a bit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, here is a thread about a guy with sacroliac (sp?) pain. About 1/3 down the first page I posted several stretches that I use. I have lost about 5-6 weeks in the last year to back pain so intense I could barely walk.

Try some of these stretches and exercises.

There's another exercise: position yourself on all fours (yoga 'table' position) and try to pull your navel to your spine. Hold 30 seconds, then relax. This will build the muscles in your "pelvic girdle" area, and strengthen your back.

Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Sciatica
In my experience losing weight is your best option.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Deadlift more it will fix your back trust me.

Doctors and chiropractors want you to come to them because they say they can help you.

All they want is to get that paycheck I don't care what you say they will try to get you to do everything that will make your back worse.

I knew two friends that both suffered from slipped discs in their back and had excruciating pain.

Nothing any of the chiropractors they went to benefit them at all.

So both of those friends started dead lifting and in fact there back was fixed.

You wouldn't think working your back would help but think of it this way you probably don't work your back out enough and it causes it to have problems being weak and all.

We are humans, we were designed to pick things up and put them back down.

You don't have to lift heavy but just make sure you were doing enough weight that is actually working you out.

It takes some time but I assure you it will work

If you go to a chiropractor they are going to say don't do that. It's obvious they will do that so you keep coming back I can't stress that enough.

Both of my friends had severe back pain for probably close to two years before they started the deadlift routine and since them both of them have been completely fixed.

Sorry for the horrible punctuation I'm typing this on my phone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.google.com/search?q=foam+roller+exercises&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Read up on this technique.

Helps me quite a bit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Stretches and exercises can be dependent on your specific condition (anterior vs posterior disc protrusion for instance). Get a real evaluation and PT referral. They'll set you up with stretches specific to your condition as well as a weight loss and core strengthening program.
People who want to offer you more specific medical advice without knowing a whole lot more about your condition are over-generalizing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#11]
What a lot of people call "hip pain" is actually back/sciatica pain.  If when you say hip you are referring to your backside or where your hip bone is, that isn't hip pain.  Pain in the hip joint is more in your groin.

My recommendation would be to see a doc for a referral to a good physical therapist combined with some home exercises and short term NSAID therapy.

Clearly this is bothering you a lot and isn't just going away, see your doctor, man.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Deadlift more it will fix your back trust me.

Doctors and chiropractors want you to come to them because they say they can help you.

All they want is to get that paycheck I don't care what you say they will try to get you to do everything that will make your back worse.

<snip>
View Quote

First of all deadlifting? Really? You know nothing about his medical condition and you are going to recommend the weight lifting exercise that is probably responsible for more back injuries than any other exercise.

And secondly, I am a doctor.  I absolutely 100% want to get all my patients better.  That kind of asinine, ignorant remark is so on its face blatantly false, I don't know where to begin.  I primarily treat chronic conditions like hypertension, diabetes, and high cholesterol.  I also see acute issues like sinus infections and the flu.  I don't tell them to do things to make those acute issues worse just to make a "paycheck."  No different with acute injuries like back or shoulder pain. Funny thing is, if as a doctor, you tend to have no success in getting people any better, they typically stop coming to you.  Much less if you make them worse.

If I just wanted a paycheck, I would have become an investment banker.  Less schooling.  More time off.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the same thing and for me, it was a bulged L4-L5 disk.  Had a cortisone shot (not sure if it did anything) and went to PT who beat the hell out of me.  They had one Nautilus machine that strapped your whole body into the machine and the only muscles you could use were your lower back.  Holy hell was that a new level of pain...but it did work.

If you're looking for something to do at home, get a roman chair.  It'll be painful at first but it does help as your back muscles strengthen.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#14]
have you considered a belly band?
rather than carry it on your hip?
it is a little harder to get to. but you wouldn't have the weight on your side.

also suspenders. I hear that helps take the weight off the belt/pants. honestly I haven't seen any in quite some time, but my father used to wear some clip on types. basically had large clips on the ends to pinch onto the belt or pants.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
weight loss ...

Then worry about the rest of it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I injured my SI joint several months ago in a wreck.

If you can get physical therapy, you should.

Several exercises they've shown me are very helpful.

One in particular:

Get a basketball,soccer ball, foam roller etc.

Lie on your back with your knees pulled up and place the ball between your knees.

Squeeze the ball and hold it for 5 seconds. Repeat 5 times.

Listen/feel  for a popping/crackling sound.

I couldn't lift my knee while sitting up without pain. This cleared that right up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I came here to suggest bigger pants.    I would seek a doctor given your description of lasting pain.  Hopefully its as simple as a little strength training, stretching and weight loss.

When I first started carrying IWB, I experienced some hip and back pain.  I switched to pants one size larger and everything got better.  So if anyone else is having back pain related to IWB carry, bigger pants may help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#18]
This may sound stupid but the question is do you carry a wallet in the back pocket? If so move it to a front pocket can make a world of difference.
Regarding lifting and fitness it can help a lot of people but is not a total solution for all cases.
Once you have chronic back problems it is never fixed( wether you have surgery or not!) it is just managed
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry you are having issues, coctailer. Nerve pain is no fun.

Get well soon!
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#20]
SFW

This is a starting point for self-treating your low back/hip/nerve SI joint pain or limitations.

Kelly Starrett is a doctor of physical therapy who has made waves with his mobility project: "All human beings should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves." He has a huge, free, video series dedicated to helping people unf*ck their bodies.

The way you carry/sit/walk/live likely loads the hip on a single axis (right/left, forward/back). You've probably been over-extended for a long time and making one side of your body work harder to stabilize and remain neutral. Your psoas is probably extra short on your carry side, which pulls the SI joint and lumbar spine to one side and also into an anterior tilt/over-extension. "Beer Belly" syndrome will also cause this.

Test: how long can you hang out in the bottom of an air squat (refer to the video for a good demo)? What starts to hurt first? 10 minutes is your goal.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I have what's probably sciatica. The foam roller exercises have really helped me. I've found a tennis ball also helps. I stand with my back to a wall. I put the ball wherever the "hot spot" is on my butt. I lean into the ball, moving around. OMG, can it hurt, but it helps a lot.

Sometimes in the morning it hurts BAD when I lift my legs over the side of the tub to take my shower.

Because of this, I will only carry appendix, not in back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a similar problem with my back and hip . Stopped wearing my wallet in my back pocket and never had the problem again . Takes a little time but might be worth a try. Good luck !
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Even a wallet in your back pocket ca put pressure on the sciatic nerve and cause pain in the hip.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I carry my wallet in my front pocket for just this reason. And so chicks can check out my arse.

I'm wearing a good quality leather belt and back to having the G19 on my hip OWB.
Will report back in a few days if this helps.

I am also hitting the gym.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a similar problem with my back and hip . Stopped wearing my wallet in my back pocket and never had the problem again . Takes a little time but might be worth a try. Good luck !

I carry my wallet in my front pocket for just this reason. And so chicks can check out my arse.

I'm wearing a good quality leather belt and back to having the G19 on my hip OWB.
Will report back in a few days if this helps.

I am also hitting the gym.

Good deal.

Put some time into stretching as well as a little research on facia muscles.

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Sciatica? If that is your cause, you're in for a lifetime of pain management.

Chiropractor, physical therapy, pills... Surgery.

Just wait until you can only sleep for 15 minutes at a time, for a total of 2-3 hours a night, severe liver damage, depression, and seriously considering amputating your own leg. Eventually, no task will be easy.

Over the last 7mo, I've taken over 3k ibuprofen. Recieving minor, temporary relief.

Get serious and explore every option now.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I am 33 now, but when I was 21 herniated a disc in a rock climbing fall. Dealt with the pain for two years and finally had surgery when I was 23. Mostly completely pain free now, I def had the sciatica pain. My right leg was always numb and tingly and I couldn't feel a couple toes there for about a year. See a doctor and get some help for sure, back pain is nothing to mess around with.

And don't deadlift
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
weight loss ...

Then worry about the rest of it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#31]
In addition to getting into better shape, also be mindful of your posture. If you sit alot then maybe it's your psoas muscle that is bothering you. Also, If you have weak abs that will many times lead to back pain. I'm speaking from experience.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top