Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2014 2:56:39 PM EDT
Looking for a new holster.  Any thoughts on those two?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Old Faithful. Cheaper, just as comfortable, more adjustable. Assemble it yourself.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
On the Old Faithful hybrid, the kydex is attached with screws, not rivets. You can tighten down the holster after the leather breaks
in, and you can replace the shell with another one to use with a different pistol.

The Old Faithful kit is a LOT cheaper in price than a Crossbreed.

Here's mine; I am very fond of it. My G34 is a breeze to tote with this holster.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  I do like the fact that you can tighten the screws down as well as interchange.

Is the Old Faithful that much bigger then Crossbreed?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I had tried a Cross Breed first..it's ok, then tried an Old Faithful which I think is better quality and prefer as the full slide is covered.
I just got an M-tac last week and and so far...IMHO it's the best of the three
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Old Faithful. Cheaper, just as comfortable, more adjustable. Assemble it yourself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Alien gear over both after owning both.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Old faithful diy kit
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1  Best money I've spent.  

Comp-tac and Blade-tec owner as well.  Aliengear you get so much for a great price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Crossbreed is not the best holster in the world.  Not familiar with Old Faithful yet but I do know that I stopped carrying my crossbreeds as fast as I could replace them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Old Faithful and Alien Gear are both in Ft Smith, AR.  Is that a coincidence?  They look very, very similar.  Is there a story here?  Anyone know any details?

I'm gonna buy one of them!
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh now you just made the decision more difficult. Its now between Old Faithful and Alien Gear.  I really like the option of changing out the shell.  Is the kydex/leather of the same quality?
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't help much, but after owning and carrying a Crossbreed Supertuck w/horse hide for the last 3 years with my 5" Steel 1911's, I ordered an Alien Gear for my new G21. I just got confirmation that it shipped yesterday so I don't have it yet.

I didn't go with another Crossbreed because their kydex is thin (looks like the .06" stuff that everyone making kydex holsters tells you to avoid, case in point, mine has 2 cracks in it), and they are expensive for what you get (mine was around $90). The Alien Gear was $36 and change shipped. Hell, I'd have $15 into materials trying to fab up the same thing. They use .093 Kydex that's about as thick as you'd want for a holster and they use a little bit thicker leather so that should keep any pressure points on the gun from poking you too.

What the heck, I figure I've blown $35 on bad pizza in a week before and all I had when I was done with it was a bad case of diarrhea. With the specs and reviews of AG, worst I can do is try it, then get my money back if I don't like it. I'm probaby going to make my own from here on out anyways, so this will be a good stop gap until my leather and some more Kydex come in.

Hope this helps. Mainly it's just why I bought an Alien Gear. Hope it actually works as well as the specs indicate it will.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Doesn't help much, but after owning and carrying a Crossbreed Supertuck w/horse hide for the last 3 years with my 5" Steel 1911's, I ordered an Alien Gear for my new G21. I just got confirmation that it shipped yesterday so I don't have it yet.

I didn't go with another Crossbreed because their kydex is thin (looks like the .06" stuff that everyone making kydex holsters tells you to avoid, case in point, mine has 2 cracks in it), and they are expensive for what you get (mine was around $90). The Alien Gear was $36 and change shipped. Hell, I'd have $15 into materials trying to fab up the same thing. They use .093 Kydex that's about as thick as you'd want for a holster and they use a little bit thicker leather so that should keep any pressure points on the gun from poking you too.

What the heck, I figure I've blown $35 on bad pizza in a week before and all I had when I was done with it was a bad case of diarrhea. With the specs and reviews of AG, worst I can do is try it, then get my money back if I don't like it. I'm probaby going to make my own from here on out anyways, so this will be a good stop gap until my leather and some more Kydex come in.

Hope this helps. Mainly it's just why I bought an Alien Gear. Hope it actually works as well as the specs indicate it will.
View Quote

Thanks.  Keep me posted.  Can you put some photos here as well once you get it in?  What are you going to carry with it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got an Old Faithful and it is great.  Had a Crossbreed and hated it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep. I'm going to be carrying a Gen4 Glock G21. Not exactly as heavy as my 1911's, but it's about as heavy as you're going to get with a plastic pistol

My current IWB holster is my home made kydex holster for the G21 with a TLR-1s attached. It's slightly bulky, but not terrible. After the Alien Gear comes in, I'm going to try to assemble a clone of it, except it will be with the light attached.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yep. I'm going to be carrying a Gen4 Glock G21. Not exactly as heavy as my 1911's, but it's about as heavy as you're going to get with a plastic pistol

My current IWB holster is my home made kydex holster for the G21 with a TLR-1s attached. It's slightly bulky, but not terrible. After the Alien Gear comes in, I'm going to try to assemble a clone of it, except it will be with the light attached.
View Quote

no its not.  google what the beretta PX4s weigh.  G20 is heavier than the 21 too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

no its not. google what the beretta PX4s weigh. G20 is heavier than the 21 too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no its not. google what the beretta PX4s weigh. G20 is heavier than the 21 too.

I was talking round-abouts, not absolutes
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, now that you've included Alien Gear, I can comment on those as well.

After hearing all the good reviews about them, I ordered one for Son #1's birthday back in January; he owns my old RIA Officer's 1911.

It came in last week, and before I gave it to him (he works in SC now) I was able to examine it and compare it to my Old Faithful hyrid.

They are almost exact duplicates of each other. The kydex is the same thickness and so is the leather. They use the same screws, washers,
rubber spacers, and the metal belt clips appear identical, too.

Other than the great price on the Alien Gear holster (which I cannot see lasting for long)  the different rollmark, the size of the leather (mine
is for a G34 and his is for a 3.5" 1911) they could have been made in the same facility. However, Old Faithful has a greater selection of holster
shapes.

It's a no-brainer to me....get the Alien Gear holster, UNLESS you have a pistol they don't make shells for.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I like my OF holster, but after using an mtac holster, I have decided that the OF clips kind of suck. They definitely do NOT move though, so they have that going for them, but the leather and kydex is great.

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Came in today. I've been wearing it for a couple hours and it's as comfortable as you'd expect. Retention is pretty good too which is usually not expected of this type of holster. Very nice construction. Feels solid.

Only downsides? The leather isn't picture perfect. There's some scratches and marks in the leather that were there before tanning. They're not bad, but they're there. The Kydex isn't without a couple little divots and small flaws too. Nothing big.

Overall, I'm still pleased. There isn't really anything in this price range that competes, so a few small imperfections are perfectly acceptable.

And here's a little lip of leather that I'm going to trim off. I want the web of my hand to hit the backstrap of the G21, not leather. Should be a simple 2 minute job with an exacto knife.

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for alien gear
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Came in today. I've been wearing it for a couple hours and it's as comfortable as you'd expect. Retention is pretty good too which is usually not expected of this type of holster. Very nice construction. Feels solid.

Only downsides? The leather isn't picture perfect. There's some scratches and marks in the leather that were there before tanning. They're not bad, but they're there. The Kydex isn't without a couple little divots and small flaws too. Nothing big.

Overall, I'm still pleased. There isn't really anything in this price range that competes, so a few small imperfections are perfectly acceptable.

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/WIZZO499/media/aliengearg21holster_zpse1b801e4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/WIZZO499/aliengearg21holster_zpse1b801e4.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/WIZZO499/media/alieangear2_zps9d458341.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/WIZZO499/alieangear2_zps9d458341.jpg</a>

And here's a little lip of leather that I'm going to trim off. I want the web of my hand to hit the backstrap of the G21, not leather. Should be a simple 2 minute job with an exacto knife.

<a href="http://s31.photobucket.com/user/WIZZO499/media/aliengear3_zps42d6a563.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/WIZZO499/aliengear3_zps42d6a563.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thanks for sharing the great info with the photos.  I may order one this week for my 229.  After you trim post another photo.  I would like to see it.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Alien Gear holster for the win. I carry a Glock 22 all the time. It is the most comfortable holster I have ever worn. And it has the best price I have ever seen. I also have one for my 1911. Great holster.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Got an email from Alien saying 2 to 4 weeks on my order from 1-27-14  
but no hurry since IL will not see any CCL till March or April. Great price by the way on this holster and hopefully the quality will be there!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Of those I only own the Alien. It is top notch. At the price they sell for; why not buy it. I got one for a G30. I haven't used it much but it looks very nice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Lovin' my Aliengear holster. Comfortably carry a HK45C all day, not a super light gun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#27]
For those posters who have tried the Alien Gear or Old Faithful and like those over the Crossbreed, why do you prefer them?

In other words, what did you dislike about the Crossbreed that was improved with either the AG or OF?

Thanks, trying to make up my mind.

ETA: forgot to ask how these perform with a medium frame/medium heavy auto such as the SIG Sp2022?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been wearing an Alien Gear holster every day for about 5 months and love it. Some of them are a bit rough as far as finishing work goes but hey its $30 and you wear it on the inside of your pants.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I have Crossbreed Supertuck and an Aliengear.

The Aliengear is as good or better than the Crossbreed, and has much better delivery time, and its customer service has been very responsive to me when I had a question.  At the time I bought my Aliengear, I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep my XDs-9 or my Shield-9, so I bought an extra shell for one of them, planning to switch the Kydex if I decided to get rid of one of the guns.  So far, it's looking like I need to buy the leather for the extra shell, as I like both my pocket 9mm guns too much to sell one of them.

I need to look into the Old Faithful holsters -- you guys are convincing that they work well too.

Why pay more and wait longer for the Crossbreed - there are few if any actual real-world benefits IMO.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#30]
For anybody that reads this thread trying to decide which hybrid holster to buy, another option would be Ozarks holsters.  After almost pulling the trigger on an alien gear holster, i did some more research and found that many people did not like how thick the alien gear was and it was not as easy to conceal as a cross breed or mtac.

Ozarks holsters are supposed to be a bit thinner (both leather and kydex i believe) but still hold up to use excellently from what i have read.  Another up side to the Ozarks is that they use horsehide standard, which all of the other companies i have seen charge more for over cowhide.

I ordered an Ozarks for my HK P30 on monday and it should be here sometime next week.

HERE'S a link to the holster i ordered

No affiliation with the company, just trying to give some other options for those trying to decide. I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with any of the 4
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I must be the only guy on the planet that didn't like the Old Faithful holster.  I have one for the USP compact, but if I tightened the screws to any degree, it caused the back of the holster to uncomfortably bulge out when the pistol was in it.  The leather was nice, the kydex was nice, and the hardware was nice too.  I really, really wanted to like it better than Crossbreed or the Galco King Tuk, but I just couldn't.  Old Faithful's customer service was impeccable, they even sent out new belt clips to replace a batch that extended out a bit more than normal.  I didn't send it back for a refund via their extremely generous return policy because I thought that the company did everything in their power to ensure you were happy with the holster, and I felt bad to return it after they did all that to try to make me happy.  So, even though it didn't work out perfect for me, I highly recommend the Old Faithful holster, because if 1 person says it isn't comfortable (me) and 100 people say it is (virtually everyone else) great, you should probably play the odds on that one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I must be the only guy on the planet that didn't like the Old Faithful holster.  I have one for the USP compact, but if I tightened the screws to any degree, it caused the back of the holster to uncomfortably bulge out when the pistol was in it.  The leather was nice, the kydex was nice, and the hardware was nice too.  I really, really wanted to like it better than Crossbreed or the Galco King Tuk, but I just couldn't.  Old Faithful's customer service was impeccable, they even sent out new belt clips to replace a batch that extended out a bit more than normal.  I didn't send it back for a refund via their extremely generous return policy because I thought that the company did everything in their power to ensure you were happy with the holster, and I felt bad to return it after they did all that to try to make me happy.  So, even though it didn't work out perfect for me, I highly recommend the Old Faithful holster, because if 1 person says it isn't comfortable (me) and 100 people say it is (virtually everyone else) great, you should probably play the odds on that one.
View Quote

Just curious, did you try adding more material to the rubber spacers between the leather and kydex? All holsters like that really need the body to keep the gun stable anyway, but I think Old Faithful might benefit from another screw next to the trigger guard so you can adjust the retention without squeezing the whole gun in to you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Just curious, did you try adding more material to the rubber spacers between the leather and kydex? All holsters like that really need the body to keep the gun stable anyway, but I think Old Faithful might benefit from another screw next to the trigger guard so you can adjust the retention without squeezing the whole gun in to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did, but there was so much give in the spacers it didn't really make a difference.  Your idea of an extra screw is a good one, there really isn't a pinch point on the Old Faithful holster like on the Galco or Crossbreed, like a slight indentation on the area formed over the trigger guard.  That or a screw right next to the trigger guard area could definitely give it a bit of positive retention.  Are you a wizard?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

They also say you can trade in a Kydex shell for a new model, to fit a different gun.

I also like that they will replace parts for free.

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Those Alien Gears really look slick, especially for the price.  Put an order in for my Shield.  Will post back in 3-4 weeks when it comes in if theres interest.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Got this from Foxx Holsters
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow!  When I saw you were getting it for a glock 21, I was going to warn you NOT TO!  they built me one a year ago - IT HAD BACKWARDS CANT!  It was totally useless - printed way more than  my simple OWB paddle holster.  Guess enough folks told them how to redesign so they are ok now.  Shame I had to waste my money trying to teach them and end up with a useless holster.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Not familiar with Alien, but I think my Old Faithfuls are far superior to my Crossbreed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Alien Gear.....Foxx holsters.

In that order.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:41:21 AM EDT
[#40]
I've had my Alien Gear holster for a couple of weeks now.  I went from a straight kydex holster from Eight2Ten to a hybrid.  The hybrid I noticed made my boxers ride up...guess it will take some getting used to.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:44:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Alien Gear FTW unless you want colors with your Kydex...

IMO Alien Gear and Old Faithful are the SAME>
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wow!  When I saw you were getting it for a glock 21, I was going to warn you NOT TO!  they built me one a year ago - IT HAD BACKWARDS CANT!  It was totally useless - printed way more than  my simple OWB paddle holster.  Guess enough folks told them how to redesign so they are ok now.  Shame I had to waste my money trying to teach them and end up with a useless holster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how that is even possible. It has adjustable cant. 9 positions, if my math is right. Comes in normal forward cant, I decided to make mine extreme yesterday.
This is mine. It has good FBI cant.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I ordered an Old Faithful for my 226 last night
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I've been using an Old Faithful now for about 4 years. I couldn't be happier. It's a perfect fit for both my P226 Tacops and my P220 combat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I went with the Alien Gear over the Old Faithful for my 1911 because of the price point and good reviews.  3-4 week shipping though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread convinced me to buy an Alien Gear holster.  

ETA:  My only other IWB is a full kydex Pitbull Tactical from 2010 that I use for carry.  I'm anxious to see how the "crossbreed style" leather + kydex works out.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I just picked up this from Working Dog holsters. Good quality. Very comfy. And the owner has a great mission

Link
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#48]
FYI ... Alien gear IWB for g19

Ordered 3/04
Shipped 3/28

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
FYI ... Alien gear IWB for g19

Ordered 3/04
Shipped 3/28

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Hmmm, I ordered a AG holster and extra shell on 3/8, got the shipment email on 3/24.  Should be here today if the post office does it's part.

The order email specified 3-4 week wait, was surprised to get the shipping email when I did.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Those of you who have Alien Gear holsters, how well does the kydex fit the gun?

I ordered two shells, one for a 1911 commander, the other for a G20.  Neither shell, IMO, fits the gun.  With the shells off the leather, neither are what I would consider to be good fits.  The G20 shell leaves a gap either on the slid or the trigger guard.  I've tried several different screw/spacer combinations, none of them seem to help any.

On the 1911, I would consider the fit to be a bit better, but not what I expected.  The shell is marked for a 5", but I did order for a 4.25" gun.  I think it goes in a bit too deep.

I'm going to give it a couple more days, but after eight hours of wear and fiddling, I'm not a fan.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top