Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/9/2012 8:03:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch when reholstering.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm curious as to whether any of the accidental discharges involved 1911's. If the pistol was in condition one, I don't see how it could happen unless the

person deactivated the safety as he was drawing. I would also like to know the experience level of those involved and how much they actually practiced with

the holster with an unloaded weapon prior to putting the holster in use.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, to be fair, FLETC is usually a bit slow so we should cut them some slack.  It was only a matter of .... what ...... years?
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No shit. Lowest common denominatore and all.
You can hate 'em, but it all comes down to the above post......

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Ban any holster that is involved in a ND. Booger Digging Morgan's.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NDs are happening on the withdrawing of the pistol, not reholstering.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Tex approves of this move.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NDs are happening on the withdrawing of the pistol, not reholstering.

Ban all holsters that this happens with.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I know MULTIPLE people PERSONALLY who have shot themselves while using that crappy holster including an active duty (I guess?) national guard buddy of mine.

My FTO years ago had his serpa FREEZE SHUT and it took him 2 minutes to thaw it out enough to actually draw his gun.

I may forward this to the upper management at my dept. they still issue the serpa to rookies to carry off duty.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#12]
ok....
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I may forward this to the upper management at my dept. they still issue the serpa to rookies to carry off duty.

I'm sorry about that.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you mean me, then yes. You are correct. It's a bad design.

I much prefer the ThumbDrive or ALS.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Was it the level 3 duty holster? Border Patrol has those. At least some do.

ETA: Nevermind. I see it's CITP. Non uniform. Level 2 it is....
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you the guy who shot himself on the youtube video and appeared on the Tosh.0 show?  That's the "Tex" they are referring to.  

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you the guy who shot himself on the youtube video and appeared on the Tosh.0 show?  That's the "Tex" they are referring to.  

No, that's TexGrebner. Lol! KillerB6 posted right after me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I know MULTIPLE people PERSONALLY who have shot themselves while using that crappy holster including an active duty (I guess?) national guard buddy of mine.

My FTO years ago had his serpa FREEZE SHUT and it took him 2 minutes to thaw it out enough to actually draw his gun.

Wow, in 19 years of LE, i've only met (1) person who's ever accidentally shot himself, and that was with a carelessly reholstered 1911 (pancake holster).  I'm thinking you need new friends...  We use the SERPA but freezing holsters are not an issue in most of Texas.  

Anyone have a clean link to the Bulletin?

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm curious as to whether any of the accidental discharges involved 1911's. If the pistol was in condition one, I don't see how it could happen unless the

person deactivated the safety as he was drawing. I would also like to know the experience level of those involved and how much they actually practiced with

the holster with an unloaded weapon prior to putting the holster in use.    

Given that we're talking about FLETC, it's highly unlikely it was a 1911.

No, probably not. But there are a few departments that either issue or allow personally owned to be carried. And in my experience, if an officer is

carrying a 1911, he usually knows his stuff and would not be likely to err in such a situation. Although, I can see where this particular holster type

could cause multiple examples, I would think the majority of them were by people who only shoot when required by the department. I've known many

cops who were not into guns and did not practice on their own. For the most part, they were less proficient and more likely to have an accidental

discharge. But to be fair, I've also known a couple who shot often, were competent and safety conscious, and still had an accidental discharge.

And yes, I have. It took about 45 years for it to happen, but it did happen. I was fortunate and no one was injured and damage was minimal and

owned by me.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Get rid of Glocks and you won't have that problem.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Saw it personally on a 1911 draw.
Avoidable with training (i.e. saftey comes off AFTER the gun swings up past 45 degree's or more, not as it clears the holster).
You know when a specific style of ND is called a "Serpa bang" that even though it may primarily be a training issue, it's exacerbated by a gear issue.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow are you all that slow to realize this message has nothing to do with the 1911 Pistol varients! Consider the source then think. FLETC is a Federal Agency. 1811 is the Job series code for Law Enforcement Special Agents. Come on guys.

BTW. I carried my M9 in a BH Serpa Thigh Rig for 15 months in Iraq. And trained post deployment for a year after as well with the same setup.

That holster is made to draw so your trigger finger remains indexed along the frame while.drawing. I never once found myself accidentally hooking the trigger upon drawing. People that have that problem likely lack appropriate firearms handling skills.  

Rant over.
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Shackleton, the issues I posted were not just the trigger finger actuated release "lever" and it's training issues. The lock also can be jammed shut. And the entire holster can physically fail a retention test.

And it's got nothing to do with which model of pistol is in the holster.

Link Posted: 1/9/2012 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:]...USAF OSI has prohibited their personnel from purchasing or carrying this holster....

Haven't heard anything about this yet from our Command. There are requirements a personally procured holster must meet, but the Serpa does that.
I've only known two Agents to use the Serpa. I really like the issue holster.

Link Posted: 1/10/2012 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shackleton, the issues I posted were not just the trigger finger actuated release "lever" and it's training issues. The lock also can be jammed shut. And the entire holster can physically fail a retention test.

And it's got nothing to do with which model of pistol is in the holster.

I don't care what you posted about. And spell my name right if your going to use it in your post. Any holster design that is somewhat mechanical can fail, its mechanical. I was referring to the fact that the majority of the responses in this post mentioned the 1911, something that is NOT mentioned in the original post about FLETC banning the design.

like I also said; I ran mine in Iraq for 15 months in dust, mud, and all sorts of other crap that attracts to anything while over there. Keep your rig clean and PMCS your shit. Oh and hope somebody doesn't bring you to the ground and go to comabtives with you. If that happens you better hope your buddies are there with you anyway. (Referring to a youtube vid where someone gets the SERPA gummed up).

Have a great day.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Is this gd?

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Shackleton1, there's videos and reports of complete structural failures of the Serpa. It's got 3 strikes of fail against it.

The lock release "lever" is actuated by the trigger finger. Under stress, it often gets treated like a button while the draw is rushed. This has led to multiple documented cases of "Serpa leg."

The lock release is easily jammed closed by debris. Yes, we should keep our equipment clean. But the world is a dirty place, and Murphy hates us.

The entire holster has structurally failed in retaining both the pistol and the belt. The design is weak.

I'm not making this stuff up. Do a Google search for "serpa failure" and there's a lot of info out there.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shackleton1, there's videos and reports of complete structural failures of the Serpa. It's got 3 strikes of fail against it.

The lock release "lever" is actuated by the trigger finger. Under stress, it often gets treated like a button while the draw is rushed. This has led to multiple documented cases of "Serpa leg."

The lock release is easily jammed closed by debris. Yes, we should keep our equipment clean. But the world is a dirty place, and Murphy hates us.

The entire holster has structurally failed in retaining both the pistol and the belt. The design is weak.

I'm not making this stuff up. Do a Google search for "serpa failure" and there's a lot of info out there.

What you are is a bantering, fixated, hyper critical, holster critic.

I say we ban any holster the shooter fires his gun into.

It's fair.

The holster made him duet.

The SERPA bash is getting old.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fair.

I sold my Taser stock.  I suggest you sell your Serpa stock.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fair.

If a holster has a history of problems why is pointing that out "bashing"?

The Sheriff's Department I used to work for issued plainclothes deputies Fobus holsters but you don't see me defending them...

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I do enjoy bantering, and I am hyper-critical in my fixation of criticism for the Serpa. It's a bad design, both the holster mounting and the lock release.

The serpa sucks. Get over it. A lot of emotion in this thread, and not enough reason.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Drawing is where the problem usually comes in.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Snip
Snip

Is bantering the word you meant to use?

Do it =/= duet.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Snip

Snip

Is bantering the word you meant to use?

Do it =/= duet.

I usually just ignore people who have no understanding of how to use the English language.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Honestly, people, is a quality holster so much to ask for when you are putting a lethal means of force in it and carrying it every day???  I mean, you spend $30 minimum on a Blackhawk range holster that conceals for shit and has....(ahem)....issues.  Can you afford $80 for a MTAC?  Can you???  Is your life worth the extra $50???
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#42]
This video is one reason I am not a fan of Serpa holsters.  I found it after no longer using mine though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv1WLkKZSNE

I used one for a short time, but went to a Safariland that operates the same as my military issue holster.  I have also played with a G&G level two for a bit, but am going back to the Safariland stuff.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Can you afford $80 for a MTAC?  Can you???  Is your life worth the extra $50???

You already know the answer to your question.

I had a customer that wanted a synthetic stock for his Weatherby MkV. He was enamored with the Ram-Line stock because it was cheap. While I was attempting to talk him out of the Ram-Line, I noticed he had a Tasco Scope on his rifle. At this point, I gave up and sold him the Ram-Line, telling him that for the price, he could not get a better synthetic stock.

A fool and his money were lucky enough to meet in the first place.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#44]
People that can't manage to draw from a SERPA without shooting themselves probabyl shouldn't be carrying a gun.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

People that can't manage to draw from a SERPA without shooting themselves probabyl shouldn't be carrying a gun.

really...

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm not particularly smart or clever, but every time I draw from any of my Serpa holsters my trigger finger ends up extended straight out above the trigger along the frame of the gun.

So if you're stupider than me, don't use a Serpa.  If you are as smart as or smarter than me, you should be fine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I'm not particularly smart or clever, but every time I draw from any of my Serpa holsters my trigger finger ends up extended straight out above the trigger along the frame of the gun.

So if you're stupider than me, don't use a Serpa.  If you are as smart as or smarter than me, you should be fine.

You do know that there are other issues aside from the draw issue don't you?

Most of the people who shoot themselves or have NDs are new to the serpa platform and are going faster than they should.

Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Good to see! Hopefully I'm in before the SERPA apologist...
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...which is easier to do if one isn't required to use one's trigger finger to release the weapon from the holster.

This.

Then go to a good pistol class and be put under moderate duress and watch all of your perfected skills start to slip. It works just fine when you're standing in front of the mirror thinking "okay, don't touch the trigger" and draw the pistol.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top