Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Using what you're comfortable with is essential.

P.S. the dollar sign ($) goes before the amount. Stop trying to be little rebels.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:12:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:\ ...gun gets confiscated and eventually "destroyed" (yeah, right, prolly end up in some cops house) or what?

Let's try to not promote negative stereotypes for which you have no evidence besides your own preconceived FTP notions.  It breaks the heart of most cops when we have to cut a fine gun in half for disposal of evidence, but we do it every day.  Very few cops are thieves or crooked in any way.  It does no one a service for you to define a population by its lowest percentage.  Have a good one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:\ ...gun gets confiscated and eventually "destroyed" (yeah, right, prolly end up in some cops house) or what?

Let's try to not promote negative stereotypes for which you have no evidence besides your own preconceived FTP notions.  It breaks the heart of most cops when we have to cut a fine gun in half for disposal of evidence, but we do it every day.  Very few cops are thieves or crooked in any way.  It does no one a service for you to define a population by its lowest percentage.  Have a good one.

you are correct, i apologize. i have taken my TV-filled mind and used it to stereotype in this case.  forgive me... the last thing  i wanna create is animosity.  

humbly,
mikey
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Some people act like their guns are as important as their children or something.

Weapons can be lost.  Don't fall in love with them.  Pick the best tool for the job and replace it if it gets lost.  You're not going to lose a gun forever in a justifiable shoot.  If it's really clear cut, you may not even lose it at all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
This is part of why I don't carry my P7. I'd hate to see it treated like "evidence".  But you train with a certain gun till your completely comfortable with it and then it works as intended and saves your life. Unless your getting into justified gun fights 2 or 3 times a years, then you got the worth out of the gun you choice to defend yourself with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, it took me three weeks to get mine back after my friend accidentally shot me with it, and there wasn't even an investigation, it was ruled an accident. Evidence lady gave me a hard time about it so I got the deputy who took it that night to go up there with me and needless to say I had it back in about 10 minutes. lol
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
lol how did your friend accidentally shoot you if you dont mind my asking?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I gotta go with this, too
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+3
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hell, it took me three weeks to get mine back after my friend accidentally shot me with it, and there wasn't even an investigation, it was ruled an accident. Evidence lady gave me a hard time about it so I got the deputy who took it that night to go up there with me and needless to say I had it back in about 10 minutes. lol

that shit pisses me off.  she should have lost her job.  those in the private sector sure would have...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buy two.

That is what I did. I carry a rare gun no longer in production so I wanted a backup for both this reason and in case one broke down.

I worry more about how long they would suspend your CHL after a shooting, like police, suspended with pay for a couple weeks?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#12]
It's my understanding that while you're under investigation, you aren't going to be able to buy a gun.

Best have another ready, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+3

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=962523

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#14]
holy crap dude.  thats why i dont let inexperienced friends play with my guns.  he broke several of the most important rules of gun handling...the most important one being dont point the gun at anything you dont intend to shoot.  i didnt see an update past ~may of last year, hows the recovery?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy two.

That is what I did. I carry a rare gun no longer in production so I wanted a backup for both this reason and in case one broke down.

I worry more about how long they would suspend your CHL after a shooting, like police, suspended with pay for a couple weeks?

it depends.  i dont know if its suspended for an investigation thats something i want to find out.  if they formally charge you with anything your CHL is going to be suspended until the ruling at court and you cannot purchase any firearms while under investigation.  if you are proven innocent, your CHL will be reinstated and your life will go back to the way it was before. if your convicted of anything thats different.  i dont know about your state but texas even a misdemeanor wheather or not its weapon related (a public intoxication for instance) will result in your license being suspended for something like 3-5 years.  if your convicted of any sort of felony, kiss your guns and your license goodbye.  an investigation could be 2 weeks or two years, if your charged that process could easily be years as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Losing my gun after a shooting incident versus losing my life during a shooting incident.

I'll take the best gun I can possibly carry, cost be damned; for 1000 Alex.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Picked up the gun, either ejected the mag or didn't (I'm not 100% sure but I think I saw it on the floor when I turned around after he shot me), and failed to eject the live round in the chamber even though he knows it's the one gun I always keep loaded, and for some STUPID FUCKING REASON, wasn't paying attention to where it was pointed and pulled the trigger. I guess he was going to take it apart or something, who knows, all I know is had he been pointing it an inch to the right I might have gotten grazed but my ass would be perfectly happy and probably hired as an LEO by now.

Quoted:
holy crap dude.  thats why i dont let inexperienced friends play with my guns.  he broke several of the most important rules of gun handling...the most important one being dont point the gun at anything you dont intend to shoot.  i didnt see an update past ~may of last year, hows the recovery?

I let the thread go to archive without realizing it, durrr. I wish I could have it moved back to GD but I dunno if mods are able.

Everything is pretty much fine now. Took ten months of physical therapy and two surgeries total. I lost about 10 degrees range of motion each way but otherwise I'm back in the gym and going back to school in August if all goes according to plan, I elected to wait the extra seven months over going back last month because I wanted to make damn sure my arm was good and ready to deal with the punishment it will get via PT. Been back in the gym for about eight days and loving it, can't tell at all there was any damage done to my arm.

Quoted:
Quoted:

that shit pisses me off.  she should have lost her job.  those in the private sector sure would have...

I'm not really sure if she was giving me a hard time just cause she wanted to, or if there was some process I was not aware of, but the incident was ruled an accident THAT NIGHT, no detectives came out or anything, and the deputy that took the gun in case they investigated the incident signed the papers to release it four days after it happened (the day I got out of the hospital). However, it was still showing as an open case that no detective had reviewed in their system. Not sure what the hold up was, but other than that my experience with them was good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah but theres always the flip side, a few inches to the left would have been potentially fatal yes?  awesome on the recovery, i would have waited as well, a few months is not worth the risk of causing permanent injury.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's my understanding that while you're under investigation, you aren't going to be able to buy a gun.

Best have another ready, IMO.

Only if you're charged, or if you've been bailed out it could be a term of your bail.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Getting your 700$ pistol taken is the least of you worries in a shooting.

This basically sums up what I think,
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
yeah but theres always the flip side, a few inches to the left would have been potentially fatal yes?  awesome on the recovery, i would have waited as well, a few months is not worth the risk of causing permanent injury.

Maybe. Had it caught me in the lung, I could have died. I could have been just fine. Never know. I had wished he had hit me a few inches higher in the arm so it would have shattered the middle of the humerus instead of the socket, but the doc said the nerves and arteries are pretty much exactly where I would've gotten shot. That wouldn't have been good.
Link Posted: 2/3/2011 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#21]
i carry what i feel most comfortable with. whether it be my HK P30 or one of my kimber or wilson 1911's.  if the gun saves your life in a SD situation than its already paid for itself no matter what the cost.  

thats how i feel about it.

alot of my friends carry glocks or m&p's tho cuz they wouldnt want their more expensive guns taken if they had to use it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#22]
This is why I have two carry guns and each are only $500-600 guns but if one got confiscated I'd likely try to go buy another asap.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I have lost custody of 3 1911s in my life.

One was stolen  - Lesson learned about all these stupid "Truck gun" threads.

One was taken by the police when I used it in a justified shooting against an armed robber.

One was taken by a police officer when fucking idiot decided (incorrectly) he had the right of way and I didn't need my leg after all as he sent his truck into the side of my Harley - A Wilson Combat no less.

The only time out of these three incidents where I never saw a weapon returned was the one time when the weapon was taken into custody by the "private sector." My local LEO personally met to return the weapon to me or a friend who could take it on my behalf... within 24-48 hours.

Sometimes it is difficult to maintain composure and remain civil about these topics, due to the internet idiocy that passes for advice. I have waded through years of "make sure you never carry reloads/modified weapon, or that will be your ass in front of a grand jury"... "what are the legalities of X in my house, Y in front of my car, Z rounds to take out a threat" (answered by people in a different state with different rules)... What if my $800 gun winds up in an evidence locker (started by the same poster who authored/posted a "favorite truck gun" thread).

This (and many such topics) are about the use of deadly force which is/should be precipitated by nightmarish and potentially leathal circumstances that become the biggest challenge or priority in that person's lifetime if he is in the private sector and not serving this country. That means, some people (generally, not specifically suggested) need to seriously unfuck themselves and their petty way of thinking. I used to join the circle jerk and mentally masturbate these "what-ifs" until the day showed up where I found out that considering this idiocy amidst the chaos is a good way to get yourself killed.

1. Take a state-certified CCW course (pref. a from a well-recommended instructor) and pay close attention to the legal portion. That is what matters with respect to YOUR state
2. If you can find a reputable training course, take it and implement what you have learned there with a committed mind-set that complies with your state's view of deadly force
3. Leave the circle jerk and all the BS. If one can't shake this off, then it's either worth $ for legal consultation from a knowledgable attorney regarding these questions, or it's not worth worrying about.

Even the finest of carry guns are not worth the price of many used cars. If there is hesitation or compromise based on the liabilities imposed on your personal property, your health, and the consequences attached to the rounds you send down the bore, then I suggest that person does not carry. My personal experience has nothing to do with anybody on this thread's experience or their localities which may/may not be as unconfrontational as mine. I don't suggest my experience is the answer to "your" circumstances. Regardless, I wouldn't change a thing with what I do regardless of how (un)friendly I perceive the LEOs/DA  to be, whether that be from my area or any other I would move to/visit. YMMV. KY is on the endtable by the popcorn, happy stroking.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I carry my best guns because if and when I need it I want it to be the best to do the best job possible. if they take it I have another just like it and the money in the safe to buy another one just like it
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Do I buy a lower end vehicle b/c it may get totaled in a crash or stolen at any given moment?  Nope.

The cost of the gun pales in comparison to the $ I've spent in training to properly utilize it if I ever need to.

I don't put a price on my life, so if, and I hope I never do, ever have to use it and it's taken, I guess I'll just replace it and consider it money well spent.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I carry a Police trade in 3953 >$300 backed up by a German Police surplus P6 ~$350  and then my first duty pistol, my original G17 (I dont remember what I paid for it in 92).  Most of the time I just carry my Dept. issue G23 though.  If something happens, they can give me another one.  I leave the 1911s and the Hi Powers in the safe with the XD and the ARs.
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#28]
you will have bigger worries than getting your gun back just consider it a sacrifice to be alive. no gun is worth you not breathing anymore
Link Posted: 2/4/2011 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my personal Glock 23 back about two weeks after my shooting.

Really not a big deal anyway. To be honest I seldom carry it anymore but I will never sell it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Really not a big deal anyway. To be honest I seldom carry it anymore but I will never sell it.

safe queen status!
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep..... Nothing fancy just a G23 with Trijicons but it saved my bacon so it earned a break I guess
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Kinda how I feel about my 19. I carry it daily and will never sell it now.

Some of my friends were like "I'd want to get rid of that thing as soon as I could, it's a bad omen." Whatever.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#33]
If it worked... And saved your ass..... I think of it as a Lucky Charm. !
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of my friends were like "I'd want to get rid of that thing as soon as I could, it's a bad omen." Whatever.

Your situation is a bit different brother so I don't know what I'd do in your case but I can tell you that mine has a ton of sentimental value.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

One was taken by the police when I used it in a justified shooting against an armed robber.

One was taken by a police officer when fucking idiot decided (incorrectly) he had the right of way and I didn't need my leg after all as he sent his truck into the side of my Harley - A Wilson Combat no less.

The only time out of these three incidents where I never saw a weapon returned was the one time when the weapon was taken into custody by the "private sector." My local LEO personally met to return the weapon to me or a friend who could take it on my behalf... within 24-48 hours.

Sometimes it is difficult to maintain composure and remain civil about these topics, due to the internet idiocy that passes for advice. I have waded through years of "make sure you never carry reloads/modified weapon, or that will be your ass in front of a grand jury"... "what are the legalities of X in my house, Y in front of my car, Z rounds to take out a threat" (answered by people in a different state with different rules)... What if my $800 gun winds up in an evidence locker (started by the same poster who authored/posted a "favorite truck gun" thread).

This (and many such topics) are about the use of deadly force which is/should be precipitated by nightmarish and potentially leathal circumstances that become the biggest challenge or priority in that person's lifetime if he is in the private sector and not serving this country. That means, some people (generally, not specifically suggested) need to seriously unfuck themselves and their petty way of thinking. I used to join the circle jerk and mentally masturbate these "what-ifs" until the day showed up where I found out that considering this idiocy amidst the chaos is a good way to get yourself killed.

1. Take a state-certified CCW course (pref. a from a well-recommended instructor) and pay close attention to the legal portion. That is what matters with respect to YOUR state
2. If you can find a reputable training course, take it and implement what you have learned there with a committed mind-set that complies with your state's view of deadly force
3. Leave the circle jerk and all the BS. If one can't shake this off, then it's either worth $ for legal consultation from a knowledgable attorney regarding these questions, or it's not worth worrying about.

Even the finest of carry guns are not worth the price of many used cars. If there is hesitation or compromise based on the liabilities imposed on your personal property, your health, and the consequences attached to the rounds you send down the bore, then I suggest that person does not carry. My personal experience has nothing to do with anybody on this thread's experience or their localities which may/may not be as unconfrontational as mine. I don't suggest my experience is the answer to "your" circumstances. Regardless, I wouldn't change a thing with what I do regardless of how (un)friendly I perceive the LEOs/DA  to be, whether that be from my area or any other I would move to/visit. YMMV. KY is on the endtable by the popcorn, happy stroking.

im having trouble listening to the "advice" of someone who shot at a dude for cutting him off....  not sure what the laws are in your state, but im thinking prolly not a wise decision
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#36]
just went a week without ANY gun on my side....

broken firing pin

...I ABSOLUTELY HATED IT.

so, hopefully my search for a new gun (see anyone of my other posts regarding that search) will be finialized ASAP !

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

im having trouble listening to the "advice" of someone who shot at a dude for cutting him off....  not sure what the laws are in your state, but im thinking prolly not a wise decision

I don't see where he said he shot the guy who cut him off- I read it as the cops took it when he went to the hospital after the guy caused him to lose his leg
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see where he said he shot the guy who cut him off- I read it as the cops took it when he went to the hospital after the guy caused him to lose his leg

perhaps you are right, maybe i misread....
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

perhaps you are right, maybe i misread....

Maybe? Uh yeah, perhaps

Try, he slammed into my leg (which almost required amputation) and the weapon doesn't exactly go with you from the ER to the patient's room. Apparently, the abridged version was a little complicated for you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your situation is a bit different brother so I don't know what I'd do in your case but I can tell you that mine has a ton of sentimental value.

I don't doubt that at all and in your situation I would do the same. Mine is not sentimental in the same way, but I don't think I'd ever get rid of it just because of what happened. I'm not superstitious and it's not like it was the gun's fault the fuckwad picked it up and shot me with it... that was all him.

Speaking of, hope everything is going well for you Blitz. They are on my end... looking like I'll be back in the police academy in August now. I'll be in class the second anniversary of my shooting which will be a great feeling. I have been at the gym at least once and sometimes twice daily doing cardio and weights (mostly cardio if I go twice) and the SWAT commander here is one of my PT instructors from school; I'm meeting him Monday to get the workout routines he's making for me to get my upper-body strength back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#41]
That is why we went to 9mm Glock's.  They all shoot, operate the same.  If the police confiscate one used in a shooting, we just go to the safe and pull out a duplicate.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top