Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/27/2016 2:56:19 PM EDT
I've mostly concentrated on ARs and other than the 5.45 Krinkov I have, I never really paid much attention to any kind of AKs until I saw the VZ58. Other than knowing I should probably finally get a 7.62x39 rifle, and that I'm really interested in the compact VZ58 to SBR, that's about it.

Had a few questions:

- I'm taking it from what I've seen online, that the compact pistol can take some sort of adapter for a Sig brace, shockwave, etc until I get the SBR paperwork and add a folding stock. What part am I looking for that will allow me to add one of these as well as let it fold?

- When people have SBR'd their pistol before I keep hearing you have to cut/dremel a piece off of the rear of the rifle? Any videos or 'how tos' on this to see if I'd even want to attempt it alone?

- While looking at magazines, some mags are labeled specifically VZ58 while other vendors just have 'AK mags' for them. Do these share the same mag with the regular pattern AK (Yugo, WASR, etc) or are these proprietary VZ58 mags?

- Is there something wrong with my rationale of a 7.62x39 rifle being a compact SBR? My only other SBR is a 5.45 Tula Krinkov but I always felt I needed to fill that 7.62x39 gap. Was a little concerned about it being too short/too light for the 7.62 round.

- How is the trigger?

- Anything you NEED to get when you purchase one or are they GTG right out of the box?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Just to clarify, there are no parts or mags that are interchangeable between a VZ and an AK. The VZ is a short stroke piston setup, which is why it has less felt recoil than an typical AK.

So yea, mags are proprietary. Surplus mags are still available, AIM just put some up for $18 and there's one or two aftermarket poly mags out there.

I've got a VZ-2008, not sure how my trigger stacks up to a factory VZ-58 but IMHO it's a good trigger, not as light or crisp as my G2 in my WASR but less takeup & effort than the factory trigger in my Draco pistol.

Not sure if there's any aftermarket trigger up grade but look thru this thread, the guy who tabs carriers for VZ2008s also does trigger work and seems to be good at it. He tabbed my carrier and his work was great and reasonably priced.

I think the VZ would be a great pistol, being lighter/compact than an AK with less recoil in the same round. Downside is no 20 round mags or drums. Occasionally 10 round mags pop up on ebay. There's an SB brace available for the VZ but if I was going that route I'd try to do a shockwave on a folder.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wanderson:
Just to clarify, there are no parts or mags that are interchangeable between a VZ and an AK. The VZ is a short stroke piston setup, which is why it has less felt recoil than an typical AK.

So yea, mags are proprietary. Surplus mags are still available, AIM just put some up for $18 and there's one or two aftermarket poly mags out there.

I've got a VZ-2008, not sure how my trigger stacks up to a factory VZ-58 but IMHO it's a good trigger, not as light or crisp as my G2 in my WASR but less takeup & effort than the factory trigger in my Draco pistol.

Not sure if there's any aftermarket trigger up grade but look thru this thread, the guy who tabs carriers for VZ2008s also does trigger work and seems to be good at it. He tabbed my carrier and his work was great and reasonably priced.

I think the VZ would be a great pistol, being lighter/compact than an AK with less recoil in the same round. Downside is no 20 round mags or drums. Occasionally 10 round mags pop up on ebay. There's an SB brace available for the VZ but if I was going that route I'd try to do a shockwave on a folder.

View Quote

Cool, thanks for the info.

As far as the shockwave folder, what folding mechanism am I looking for/where can I get it? And is there somewhere that shows me what and how to remove the material I'd need in order to attach it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:50:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Already answered, but yes, mags are different from VZ-58 to AK.

I only own the rifle version, and a couple of receivers and kits that I still plan to build up eventually.  The VZ stock attaches through the rear of the receiver with a large bolt, kind of like a lot of shotguns, take off the plate on the end of the stock, and you have access to the bolt.  If the pistol version is made to NOT accept a stock, then it is probably a solid piece of metal, just like the AK pistol versions, and you would have to modify it to accept the folding stock you want once your SBR paperwork came through.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:05:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlyingBengal] [#4]
My sks and vz-2008 have similar triggers except the vz-2008 seems a little more "predictable" if that makes sense.

They are excellent rifles. Put a red dot and muzzle brake on there and go to town.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top